CSNbbs
ACC - SEC Challenge - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: ACC - SEC Challenge (/thread-639830.html)

ACC - SEC Challenge - georgia_tech_swagger - 07-12-2013 08:22 PM

a-la the ACC-B1G basketball challenge ..... but for football

Existing:
UGAg vs Georgia Tech
Florida vs Florida State
USC-e vs Clemson
Vanderbilt vs Wake Forest
Kentucky vs Louisville

Add-ons:
Texas A&M vs Virginia Tech
Tennessee vs North Carolina

..... the rest seem have nothing in common or no natural intrigue off the top of my head. Who wants to see Ole Miss vs Boston College?! Anyone?? Bueller?????

But 7 is still pretty good.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - jaminandjachin - 07-12-2013 08:25 PM

Yuck. After Kentucky and Florida, the SEC doesn't have any basketball interest. I would rather play the new Big East over SEC.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - georgia_tech_swagger - 07-12-2013 08:26 PM

(07-12-2013 08:25 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Yuck. After Kentucky and Florida, the SEC doesn't have any basketball interest. I would rather play the new Big East over SEC.

I meant for football. Edited my post to make it more clear.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - lumberpack4 - 07-12-2013 08:27 PM

(07-12-2013 08:25 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Yuck. After Kentucky and Florida, the SEC doesn't have any basketball interest. I would rather play the new Big East over SEC.

NC State and Auburn - they are both land grants and both suffer from proximity to UNC and Bama.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - jaminandjachin - 07-12-2013 08:34 PM

Ok. I'm down now. ACC has too many private schools to make some of these attractive, but I wouldn't mind seeing Miami and LSU or Bama.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - lumberpack4 - 07-12-2013 08:45 PM

(07-12-2013 08:27 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

NC State and Auburn - they are both land grants and both suffer from proximity to UNC and Bama.

Miami/LSU
UVa/Ole Miss or Mizzou
NC State/Auburn
(You could switch - LSU and NC State are slated to play in 17 and 20)
GT/UGA
CU/SC
UNC/UT
WF/Vandy (or Duke/BC)
Louis/UK
VT/TAMU
FSU/UF

That leaves Bama, MSU, and Arkansas as well as Pitt and Syracuse.

I think the trick would be to spread the games into three distinct weeks:

FSU/UF, GT/UGA, SC/CU, WF(Duke)/Vandy - Last week of regular season.

Louis/UK, NC State/Auburn, UVa/Ole Miss(Mizzou) - First three weeks of season.

UNC/UT, Miami/LSU, VT/TAMU - Mid season.

The problem is that some of these schools are building schedules that will not allow this. VT has Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, West Va, and ND on their future schedule. They won't desire a game with TAMU since it does not help in their recruiting footprint. Tennessee would be their choice.

If the SEC goes to a 9 game slate, this is out unless a 13th regular season game is added.

For the record, NC State, Clemson, and VT are the ACC's three "cow colleges" - traditional land grants. Their nearest set of analogues in the SEC are LSU, Mississippi State, TAMU, and Auburn.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - ringmaster - 07-12-2013 09:09 PM

We tried to get Tennessee. I followed some posts on our premium board regarding it. We negotiated with both them and South Carolina at the same time for the game in Charlotte. Tennessee's out of conference scheduling in the coming years is a little tough so I think that's why they didn't go for it. Nonetheless, UNC-USC will be great. It's just obviously not going to be an every year thing since USC already plays Clemson every year and the SEC will probably go to nine games in the near future. Tennessee was definitely my choice so we could ramp it up into a permanent fixture on the schedule.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - john01992 - 07-12-2013 09:18 PM

syracuse-mizz was a good game last year i wouldnt mind seeing a rematch....

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - JRsec - 07-12-2013 10:31 PM

Auburn vs Virginia they share similar colors because they shared founding coaches and have played off and on and usually close games.

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - ncbeta - 07-12-2013 10:50 PM

One of my first time's posting as a Tennessee fan.... "Tennessee isn't extremely interested in playing Unc."

RE: ACC - SEC Challenge - ncbeta - 07-12-2013 10:55 PM

(07-12-2013 10:31 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Auburn vs Virginia they share similar colors because they shared founding coaches and have played off and on and usually close games.

Except the 2011 Peach bowl..Auburn spanked uva..... but that's neither here nor there.