CSNbbs
Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" (/thread-656355.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - Lurker Above - 10-22-2013 06:23 PM

“That’s one of the more important things we’ve been working on is expansion. Whether we continue to expand, I don’t know. I can tell you that there’s no active efforts to identify partners to expand with,” Glass said. “But having said that, I think 16 (members) might be a bit of a sweet spot and if two high caliber academic and athletic institutions applied for membership, my guess is, if they met our criteria of being academically excellent and hopefully geographically contiguous, although I’m not sure if that’s completely critical, my guess is we’d do that.”

http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/10/21/glass-talks-big-ten-expansion-addition-maryland-rutgers/

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - HeartOfDixie - 10-22-2013 06:32 PM

There aren't too many flagship universities around open for a move.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - blunderbuss - 10-22-2013 06:33 PM

(10-22-2013 06:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There aren't too many flagship universities around open for a move.

How about the University of Louisiana?

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - HeartOfDixie - 10-22-2013 06:35 PM

(10-22-2013 06:33 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(10-22-2013 06:32 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There aren't too many flagship universities around open for a move.

How about the University of Louisiana?

Or how about the fourth best school in North Carolina?

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - NJRedMan - 10-22-2013 06:46 PM

Virginia and either UConn, UNC or Kansas.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - omniorange - 10-22-2013 07:08 PM

(10-22-2013 06:23 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  “That’s one of the more important things we’ve been working on is expansion. Whether we continue to expand, I don’t know. I can tell you that there’s no active efforts to identify partners to expand with,” Glass said. “But having said that, I think 16 (members) might be a bit of a sweet spot and if two high caliber academic and athletic institutions applied for membership, my guess is, if they met our criteria of being academically excellent and hopefully geographically contiguous, although I’m not sure if that’s completely critical, my guess is we’d do that.”

http://www.insidethehall.com/2013/10/21/glass-talks-big-ten-expansion-addition-maryland-rutgers/

Sounds like he's hoping for either UNC and UVa or KU and OU.

Good luck with either pairing.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - HeartOfDixie - 10-22-2013 07:12 PM

Which conference is more likely to get poached, the ACC or the Big12?

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - billybobby777 - 10-22-2013 07:14 PM

(10-22-2013 07:08 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(10-22-2013 06:23 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  “That’s one of the more important things we’ve been working on is expansion. Whether we continue to expand, I don’t know. I can tell you that there’s no active efforts to identify partners to expand with,” Glass said. “But having said that, I think 16 (members) might be a bit of a sweet spot and if two high caliber academic and athletic institutions applied for membership, my guess is, if they met our criteria of being academically excellent and hopefully geographically contiguous, although I’m not sure if that’s completely critical, my guess is we’d do that.”

Sounds like he's hoping for either UNC and UVa or KU and OU.

Good luck with either pairing.

Cheers,
Neil

The Big 10 would take a combo of either North Carolina and Virginia or Kansas and Oklahoma in a heartbeat.....Now, UNC and Virginia probably aren't ready to leave their ACC behind anytime soon....BUT, OU and Kansas would go in a NY minute and Ok st and K-St be damned....

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - UConn-SMU - 10-22-2013 07:28 PM

Plan A: UVA & UNC
Plan B: UConn & Kansas

I think OU is hitched to Texas. I still don't understand why they passed on Mizzou (academics? overall mediocrity?).

Even with the worst season since the Eisenhower Administration, UConn FB is averaging 38K (capacity 40K). A good coach will be found. And if there was a chance of B1G membership, the stadium would expand to 50K or 55K overnight. And UConn would be placed (by US News) in the top half of the B1G academically.

UConn in the B1G would hurt the ACC:

Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn > Syracuse, Pitt, BC

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - HeartOfDixie - 10-22-2013 07:36 PM

Culturally only UConn fits well.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - Rabbit_in_Red - 10-22-2013 07:38 PM

UConn to the B1G wouldn't scathe the ACC.

The BigXII's likely to get poached over the ACC. Dissolving a 10 team conference is easier than dissolving a 14 team conference. How you guys don't see that, I'll never know. Not that logic flies around here anyhow.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - gosports1 - 10-22-2013 07:38 PM

NEW YORK aka Buffalo. they could use all that cash to upgrade their athletics (are they really that much worse than rutgers? they did beat uconn as we know)
you heard it here 1st 03-shhhh

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - jaredf29 - 10-22-2013 07:40 PM

(10-22-2013 07:28 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  Plan A: UVA & UNC
Plan B: UConn & Kansas

I think OU is hitched to Texas. I still don't understand why they passed on Mizzou (academics? overall mediocrity?).

Even with the worst season since the Eisenhower Administration, UConn FB is averaging 38K (capacity 40K). A good coach will be found. And if there was a chance of B1G membership, the stadium would expand to 50K or 55K overnight.

Coming from pure speculation from their choices in the past I'd say it is more likely to take plan A. Their effort with Maryland and Rutgers were expanding markets. I think they feel like Rutgers brings more of the ny area than UCONN. They want more sunbelt markets. So anything south of the mason Dixon that's a flagship with academics, what about Vandy? Va tech? Georgia tech? NC state?

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - UConn-SMU - 10-22-2013 07:43 PM

(10-22-2013 07:38 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  NEW YORK aka Buffalo. they could use all that cash to upgrade their athletics (are they really that much worse than rutgers? they did beat uconn as we know)

You can't really believe one FB game would determine a realignment decision, especially when UConn's all-time record against Buffalo is about 17-3.

UConn's record against ND is 1-0 (the Huskies won at South Bend in 2009). That was a blast, but it meant less than nothing in the realignment game.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - gosports1 - 10-22-2013 07:46 PM

(10-22-2013 07:43 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(10-22-2013 07:38 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  NEW YORK aka Buffalo. they could use all that cash to upgrade their athletics (are they really that much worse than rutgers? they did beat uconn as we know)

You can't really believe one FB game would determine a realignment decision, especially when UConn's all-time record against Buffalo is about 17-3.

UConn's record against ND is 1-0 (the Huskies won at South Bend in 2009). That was a blast, but it means less than nothing in the realignment game.

i was just teasing about the uconn win. however buffalo fits the BIG profile in every way (other than athletic history)
i dont think it will actually happen but crazier things have happened

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - He1nousOne - 10-22-2013 07:50 PM

(10-22-2013 07:36 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Culturally only UConn fits well.

You seem like a good guy and a nice poster around here so don't take this too harshly but you don't know what you are talking about with this comment. UConn doesn't fit well, first and foremost. Secondly, there have been other Institutions listed in this thread that "fit in" with The Big Ten much better.

Yes, the Big 12 is much more likely to be poached than the ACC but it wont be done in piecemeal fashion. It will have to be all or nothing.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - Rabbit_in_Red - 10-22-2013 07:57 PM

4 Conferences of 16+ is what's best for college Div1 football. It's good for the fans, TV, and schools. It'll be all or none, and right now the BigXII is the weakest link.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - CommuterBob - 10-22-2013 08:04 PM

Buffalo and UConn. Book it.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spo... - CoogNellie - 10-22-2013 08:09 PM

(10-22-2013 07:57 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  4 Conferences of 16+ is what's best for college Div1 football. It's good for the fans, TV, and schools. It'll be all or none, and right now the BigXII is the weakest link.

Man it amazes me how you forgot what it was like to be a have-not, considering Louisville has always been a have-not.

But no I guess we need 4 16 team conferences and nothing else. UCF doesn't deserve to play for the title, they aren't an elite program like Louisville... oh wait.

RE: Indiana AD Fred Glass hikes the B1G skirt and shows leg; 16 is the "sweet spot" - ohio1317 - 10-22-2013 08:09 PM

My guess is there's no move anytime soon. He says they are not actively looking to identity partners to expand with. If you aren't even talking about schools, there is essentially no move to expand. The topic of ideal size and set-up long term might be there, but that's more background like it was in the 11 team era.

Going forward, 10 years will look very different from today for a lot of reasons, but trying to guess, I think a lot of factors will still be the same. The last round was about markets which they felt they could do after adding Nebraska and (two decades before) Penn State. I don't see a move to 16 without a school that will move bring big attention on a national level. I'd say one of these 4 schools will have to be involved: Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina. Kansas, UConn, Virginia, Duke, etc would be possible 2nd schools on the list.