CSNbbs
Open Thread - Election 2014 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Open Thread - Election 2014 (/thread-710887.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Open Thread - Election 2014 - georgia_tech_swagger - 11-03-2014 08:52 PM

Some things I want to see:

1) The hand wringing and crying from all sides as libertarians clear way more than the necessary margin of victory in Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina.

2) How the openly gay GOP candidate does in San Diego.

3) Just how badly establishment RINOs suffer in several states from a severe lack of enthusiasm from independents, libertarians, and tea party groups. Everybody loves to talk on endlessly about the Tea Party of they push someone out there too conservative to win a general. Let's see if anybody actually bothers to point out that Dem-lite struggles just as much as social issue herp-derp Tea Party candidates in a general.

4) Just how many people from the formerly mentioned Dem-lite group owe Rand Paul and Ted Cruz from trying (usually without success) to cast them as certifiable conservatives.

5) Washington State is voting -- at the same time -- to ban and require gun background checks.

6) Georgia is voting to cap the income tax.

7) Oregon, Alaska, and DC are voting to legalize recreational marijuana. Florida will vote on legal medical marijuana.

8) Alaska, Arkansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota will vote on minimum wage increases. Suicidally, SD will peg theirs to inflation too.

9) North Dakota and Colorado will consider so called "personhood" amendments intended to attack abortion. Both would make in vitro fertilization, Plan B, and various forms of birth control legal gray areas.

10) California, suicidally, is considering QUADRUPLING the damages limit in medical malpractice suits.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Pyrizzo - 11-03-2014 09:01 PM

This will also be on the Virginia ballot....

Quote:Proposed Constitutional Amendment

Shall Section 6-A of Article X (Taxation and Finance) of the Constitution of Virginia be amended to allow the General Assembly to exempt from taxation the real property of the surviving spouse of any member of the armed forces of the United States who was killed in action, where the surviving spouse occupies the real property as his or her principal place of residence and has not remarried?

Should be a no brainer but you never know.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - G-Man - 11-03-2014 09:02 PM

(11-03-2014 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Some things I want to see:

1) The hand wringing and crying from all sides as libertarians clear way more than the necessary margin of victory in Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina.

2) How the openly gay GOP candidate does in San Diego.

3) Just how badly establishment RINOs suffer in several states from a severe lack of enthusiasm from independents, libertarians, and tea party groups. Everybody loves to talk on endlessly about the Tea Party of they push someone out there too conservative to win a general. Let's see if anybody actually bothers to point out that Dem-lite struggles just as much as social issue herp-derp Tea Party candidates in a general.

4) Just how many people from the formerly mentioned Dem-lite group owe Rand Paul and Ted Cruz from trying (usually without success) to cast them as certifiable conservatives.

5) Washington State is voting -- at the same time -- to ban and require gun background checks.

6) Georgia is voting to cap the income tax.

7) Oregon, Alaska, and DC are voting to legalize recreational marijuana. Florida will vote on legal medical marijuana.

8) Alaska, Arkansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota will vote on minimum wage increases. Suicidally, SD will peg theirs to inflation too.

9) North Dakota and Colorado will consider so called "personhood" amendments intended to attack abortion. Both would make in vitro fertilization, Plan B, and various forms of birth control legal gray areas.

10) California, suicidally, is considering QUADRUPLING the damages limit in medical malpractice suits.

Too many things too unrelated to draw any conclusions. If you had to pick two as too important to ignore, what would they be?

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - georgia_tech_swagger - 11-03-2014 09:04 PM

(11-03-2014 09:02 PM)G-Man Wrote:  Too many things too unrelated to draw any conclusions. If you had to pick two as too important to ignore, what would they be?

#3. #7.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - georgia_tech_swagger - 11-03-2014 09:16 PM

Kennedy nailed it on her opening monologue of The Independents tonight.

"Whether it is fickle millenials or exhausted Iowans, independents are the key to this boring election. 51% of both groups are expected to vote for the GOP, despite the fact that the party is full of Republicans! It is not which suitor has won the voter's heart, it is which one doesn't smell like moldy Gorgonzola. The Democrats ideas are old, rancid, and statist. The only thing Republicans have going for them? They're not Democrats!"

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Native Georgian - 11-03-2014 09:56 PM

(11-03-2014 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The hand wringing and crying from all sides as libertarians clear way more than the necessary margin of victory in Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina.
In N.C., we may have the first instance (in a nationally-watched race) of a Libertarian taking more votes from the D. than from the R.

Quote:How the openly gay GOP candidate does in San Diego.
Somewhere between 49.5% and 50.5%.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - jh - 11-03-2014 10:03 PM

(11-03-2014 09:56 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The hand wringing and crying from all sides as libertarians clear way more than the necessary margin of victory in Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina.
In N.C., we may have the first instance (in a nationally-watched race) of a Libertarian taking more votes from the D. than from the R.

I don't think this is that unusual. It sounds like it happened in the last Virginia governor's race as well.

Quote:Based on the crosstabs of a CNN exit poll, it appears that statewide, Sarvis voters leaned toward McAuliffe as their second choice.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/08/libertarian-robert-sarvis-drew-record-high-votes-in-virginia.html

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - HeartOfDixie - 11-03-2014 10:18 PM

I think #10 is a good idea.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Native Georgian - 11-03-2014 10:26 PM

(11-03-2014 10:03 PM)jh Wrote:  
Quote:Based on the crosstabs of a CNN exit poll, it appears that statewide, Sarvis voters leaned toward McAuliffe as their second choice.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/08/libertarian-robert-sarvis-drew-record-high-votes-in-virginia.html
It's late and I could've overlooked it, but I looked at the link for that CNN exit poll and I didn't see any data to indicate who Sarvis-voters preferred as their second choice.

But at any rate, I agree with the basic idea that Libertarians are going to become -- more and more -- a party that draws equally from both main camps, rather than predominantly one or the other.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - jh - 11-03-2014 10:38 PM

(11-03-2014 10:26 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 10:03 PM)jh Wrote:  
It's late and I could've overlooked it, but I looked at the link for that CNN exit poll and I didn't see any data to indicate who Sarvis-voters preferred as their second choice.
But at any rate, I agree with the basic idea that Libertarians are going to become -- more and more -- a party that draws equally from both main camps, rather than predominantly one or the other.

It certainly isn't particularly clear. On Page 4 there is a question about votes if the race was just limited to the two primary candidates. I'm guessing that they compared this answer with the actual results to make their judgement.

Of particular note, however, is that 5% of the voters simply would not have voted without the option to vote for third party candidates. Neither party can claim those voters.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - BeliefBlazer - 11-03-2014 10:45 PM

I don't see very many GOPers struggling in close races. There will be a wave of red tomorrow, especially in Senate races. They aren't members of the President's party and that's the most important factor this year.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - georgia_tech_swagger - 11-04-2014 12:20 PM

Today was the longest I've ever had to wait to vote. Usually no more than 2 people in line ... and typically I walk straight up to the machine. I had to wait behind 20 people this time. WTF?

The meat of the nationally relevant portion of my ballot is here. Not listed is my vote for Trey Gowdy for US House SC-4. Yes, that is write in for Ron Paul on Secretary of Education... because all of the candidates were truly unfit to govern.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6135]

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Redwingtom - 11-04-2014 12:25 PM

(11-04-2014 12:20 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Today was the longest I've ever had to wait to vote. Usually no more than 2 people in line ... and typically I walk straight up to the machine. I had to wait behind 20 people this time. WTF?

That's GREAT!!!

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-04-2014 12:29 PM

Took me 7 minutes and 38 seconds from the time I stopped my car until it was rolling again. And that's with a rest room stop.

I voted for more libertarians than R's and D's combined. And I believe there were more libertarian candidates on my ballot than D's. Certainly more in local races, and I believe the libertarians contested every statewide race.

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - G-Man - 11-04-2014 12:30 PM

(11-03-2014 09:04 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-03-2014 09:02 PM)G-Man Wrote:  Too many things too unrelated to draw any conclusions. If you had to pick two as too important to ignore, what would they be?

#3. #7.

#3. RINOS will get LOTS of votes from Independents and Tea-Partiers voting for a lesser evil. Libertarian's votes won't make much of a difference (not a put-down of Libertarians--just an acknowledgment that there aren't enough of them).

#7. The voters who want legalization have been "high" on the idea for quite some time.

Turnout was high at my precinct in Allison Grime's hometown, by a lot of people voting against her and Obama's policies on the ticket (versus for the other guy).

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Redwingtom - 11-04-2014 12:53 PM

(11-04-2014 12:30 PM)G-Man Wrote:  Turnout was high at my precinct in Allison Grime's hometown, by a lot of people voting against her and Obama's policies on the ticket (versus for the other guy).

Thanks Kreskin!
[Image: the-amazing-kreskin1.jpg?w=450&h=494]

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Fort Bend Owl - 11-04-2014 01:20 PM

Texas Democratic Governor candidate Wendy Davis was rocking a Wu Tang Clan t-shirt when she voted earlier today (or her version of their logo).

https://twitter.com/EmilyBaucum/status/529661347228045312

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - jh - 11-04-2014 01:40 PM

(11-04-2014 12:20 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Today was the longest I've ever had to wait to vote. Usually no more than 2 people in line ... and typically I walk straight up to the machine. I had to wait behind 20 people this time. WTF?

The meat of the nationally relevant portion of my ballot is here. Not listed is my vote for Trey Gowdy for US House SC-4. Yes, that is write in for Ron Paul on Secretary of Education... because all of the candidates were truly unfit to govern.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6135]

Careful, this might be illegal in some states.
http://electionlawblog.org/?p=67760

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - Niner National - 11-04-2014 01:46 PM

I noticed Facebook has a big reminder front and center to go vote today. I imagine that will probably get some people to go vote that otherwise wouldn't have. Afterall, voting isn't worth it if you can't share it with your friends, right?

RE: Open Thread - Election 2014 - ECUGrad07 - 11-04-2014 02:44 PM

I waited in line for about an hour and 20 minutes. The Election Judge told the crowd that it was by far the largest turnout (at that point in the day) she'd ever seen.