CSNbbs
"Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." (/thread-714543.html)

Pages: 1 2

"Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 11-23-2014 04:13 PM

[Image: B2wk3EAIMAAT5Pj.jpg]

In early 2012, I had a conversation with a former Miami staffer who landed at Alabama. I congratulated him on Alabama's championship and told him that it must be nice to coach so many studs. He looked at me and said, "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players."

I couldn't believe it. Alabama was the national champion. Miami was 6-6 and coming off an embarrassing home loss to BC. Alabama had multiple projected first round picks. Miami had a few mid and late-round guys. But he was insistent.

"Lamar Miller is better than Trent Richardson. Olivier Vernon is better than Courtney Upshaw. And Seantrel Henderson is better than any lineman we've got. Watch them in the pros."

Now that we've seen those guys in the NFL, we know he was dead-on. Why were the programs so far apart on the field? The coach said it came down to football infrastructure (training table, strength and conditioning, medical staff) and depth. He left out coaching, for obvious reasons, but you can assume that's another factor. Once those guys get to the NFL, he said, all the external things will become equal and raw talent will prevail.

But why is a team with so many elite players struggling in a talentless Coastal division?

Right now, our best players are better than anybody's best players. Anybody. Watch Perryman, Dorsett, Flowers, Duke and Walford in the pros. No other Power Five school can match those upperclassmen. Four years later, Miami is still undefeated on Sunday and .500 on Saturday.
-- DMoney

NOW MUSCLE SHOALS HAS GOT THE SWAMPERS

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Kaplony - 11-23-2014 04:31 PM

So what you are saying is Miami is underachieving?

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Hokie Mark - 11-23-2014 05:00 PM

(11-23-2014 04:31 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  So what you are saying is Miami is underachieving?

The problem: Al Golden is NOT better than Nick Saban.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - samandrea - 11-23-2014 08:57 PM

(11-23-2014 04:13 PM)green Wrote:  [Image: B2wk3EAIMAAT5Pj.jpg]

In early 2012, I had a conversation with a former Miami staffer who landed at Alabama. I congratulated him on Alabama's championship and told him that it must be nice to coach so many studs. He looked at me and said, "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players."

I couldn't believe it. Alabama was the national champion. Miami was 6-6 and coming off an embarrassing home loss to BC. Alabama had multiple projected first round picks. Miami had a few mid and late-round guys. But he was insistent.

"Lamar Miller is better than Trent Richardson. Olivier Vernon is better than Courtney Upshaw. And Seantrel Henderson is better than any lineman we've got. Watch them in the pros."

Now that we've seen those guys in the NFL, we know he was dead-on. Why were the programs so far apart on the field? The coach said it came down to football infrastructure (training table, strength and conditioning, medical staff) and depth. He left out coaching, for obvious reasons, but you can assume that's another factor. Once those guys get to the NFL, he said, all the external things will become equal and raw talent will prevail.

But why is a team with so many elite players struggling in a talentless Coastal division?

Right now, our best players are better than anybody's best players. Anybody. Watch Perryman, Dorsett, Flowers, Duke and Walford in the pros. No other Power Five school can match those upperclassmen. Four years later, Miami is still undefeated on Sunday and .500 on Saturday.
-- DMoney

NOW MUSCLE SHOALS HAS GOT THE SWAMPERS

I wouldn't say talentless. It is lack of depth and coaching. I heard the announcers on the UNC Duke game say that only Alabama and LSU had more 1st and 2nd round draft choices than UNC over the last 3 or 4 years (not sure exactly). It is depth that kills many teams as well as coaches that do not know what they are doing.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Marge Schott - 11-23-2014 10:38 PM

The infrastructure remark is HUGE. Most acc schools don't have it, don't think it's necessary and/or simply don't care.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - firmbizzle - 11-24-2014 01:09 PM

Basketball is more important now. 07-coffee3

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 11-24-2014 02:25 PM

(11-24-2014 01:09 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Basketball is more important now. 07-coffee3

[Image: B3OZGYhCEAAh16p.png:large]

Miami No. 17 in the AP Top 25 men's basketball poll.
-- Tim Reynolds @ByTimReynolds

HOOP-DE-DOO

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Marge Schott - 11-24-2014 03:16 PM

(11-24-2014 01:09 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Basketball is more important now. 07-coffee3

Referring to uf?

#"basketballschool"

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - EvilVodka - 11-24-2014 03:29 PM

I don't know man....

Alabama has future NFLers all over the place. Amari Cooper will slip right into the NFL....he'll be a top fantasy football pick next year.

They've got secondary studs, big O-Line Men, and excellent RBs

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 11-24-2014 03:38 PM

(11-24-2014 03:29 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  I don't know man....

Alabama has future NFLers all over the place. Amari Cooper will slip right into the NFL....he'll be a top fantasy football pick next year.

They've got secondary studs, big O-Line Men, and excellent RBs

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/m

Amari Cooper hails from Miami btw ...
who are the NFL playmakers ...

PAY DIRT

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - nole - 11-25-2014 02:53 PM

(11-23-2014 10:38 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  The infrastructure remark is HUGE. Most acc schools don't have it, don't think it's necessary and/or simply don't care.

Most important point of the entire thread and it isn't addressed.

Great summation of the ACC. Yes, the infrastructure remark said it all.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 11-26-2014 02:16 PM

(11-23-2014 04:31 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  So what you are saying is Miami is underachieving?

http://miami.scout.com/story/1484528-is-um-most-underachieving-team-in-america?s=13&?ref=12125&utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite&hootPostID=61debb72eaf92ed957670029864ac793

According to the latest NFL Draft rankings on CBS Sports, Miami is clearly one of the most talented teams in all of college football.

The Hurricanes have 10 players who have a draft grade on their rankings list

The amazing part about that is that only one school -- the defending national champions and owners of a 27-game winning streak -- has more. Florida State has 12 on their list.

Here is the rest of the AP Top 10 and how many players are on that list:

2. Alabama -- 7
3. Oregon -- 7
4. Mississippi State -- 4
5. Baylor -- 6
6. TCU -- 4
7. Ohio State -- 3
8. Georgia -- 3
9. UCLA -- 3
10. Michigan State -- 5
-- ScoutCollegeFootball

IT'S THE TALENT THAT BRINGS IN THE MONEY

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Kaplony - 11-26-2014 03:19 PM

(11-26-2014 02:16 PM)green Wrote:  

http://miami.scout.com/story/1484528-is-um-most-underachieving-team-in-america?s=13&?ref=12125&utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite&hootPostID=61debb72eaf92ed957670029864ac793

According to the latest NFL Draft rankings on CBS Sports, Miami is clearly one of the most talented teams in all of college football.

The Hurricanes have 10 players who have a draft grade on their rankings list

The amazing part about that is that only one school -- the defending national champions and owners of a 27-game winning streak -- has more. Florida State has 12 on their list.

Here is the rest of the AP Top 10 and how many players are on that list:

2. Alabama -- 7
3. Oregon -- 7
4. Mississippi State -- 4
5. Baylor -- 6
6. TCU -- 4
7. Ohio State -- 3
8. Georgia -- 3
9. UCLA -- 3
10. Michigan State -- 5
-- ScoutCollegeFootball

IT'S THE TALENT THAT BRINGS IN THE MONEY

Well congrats I guess. Maybe you can print that out and use it for fir starter to keep your dozens of fans warm in Shreveport in a few weeks.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 04-28-2015 04:15 PM

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/28/peter-king-2015-nfl-mock-draft/

Sports Illustrated thinks Miami will have 3 1st rounders and FSU/Alabama 2 apiece
-- Bud Elliott ‏@TomahawkNation

PEACE OUT

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - CollegeCard - 04-28-2015 04:17 PM

(04-28-2015 04:15 PM)green Wrote:  Sports Illustrated thinks Miami will have 3 1st rounders and FSU/Alabama 2 apiece

Good for Miami but....

Is coaching the problem then?

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Kaplony - 04-28-2015 04:40 PM

(04-28-2015 04:15 PM)green Wrote:  

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/28/peter-king-2015-nfl-mock-draft/

Sports Illustrated thinks Miami will have 3 1st rounders and FSU/Alabama 2 apiece

PEACE OUT

It may be just me, but IMP FSU and Alabama evidently got more out of their first rounders than Miami.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 04-28-2015 04:43 PM

(04-28-2015 04:17 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 04:15 PM)green Wrote:  Sports Illustrated thinks Miami will have 3 1st rounders and FSU/Alabama 2 apiece

Good for Miami but....

Is coaching the problem then?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/04/evaluators-analyze-um-draft-prospects-dolphins-draft-nuggets-whiteside-record-marlins.html

Here's how one NFC scout phrased it: How could this team go 6-7 with more legitimate draft-eligible prospects than Oregon?
-- Miami Herald

we hired temple's staff ...

WHAT'D U EXPECT

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - Lou_C - 04-28-2015 05:40 PM

This is what makes me laugh when people think Miami is down forever. The right coach will be able to win there again. Maybe not multiple national championships, but they can be quite good again. Facilities matter, and so they will be a step behind some of the teams at the very forefront of facilities, but they will still have the talent to be a very good team.

The lack of resources and support will probably always prevent them from having a 10-15 year superstar coach, but they need to bet back to being the stepping stone to the NFL for coaches. I find it hard to believe after the specter of sanctions is gone there isn't going to be some attractive interested candidates.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - lumberpack4 - 04-28-2015 06:37 PM

It's been a long time since Miami had a top QB or a top 10 defense. Without one or the other, all the rest of the talent is somewhat wasted.

RE: "Miami's good players are better than Alabama's good players." - green - 04-29-2015 01:40 PM

(04-28-2015 05:40 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  This is what makes me laugh when people think Miami is down forever. The right coach will be able to win there again. Maybe not multiple national championships, but they can be quite good again. Facilities matter, and so they will be a step behind some of the teams at the very forefront of facilities, but they will still have the talent to be a very good team.

[Image: CDrUjFWUUAAjsH3.jpg]

you seem like a reasonable poster ...
then why parrot propaganda ...
truth be told, Miami has spent millions upgrading "facilities" ...
don't take my word for it ...
view the accompanying video ...
judge for yourself the splendor that is U ...
except for an indoor practice facility which even our pantywaist AD acknowledges is sorely needed -- he's figuring out where to put it ...
call on me, I'll tell him where ...
but that's neither here nor there ...
led astray ...
the lord is my shepherd ...

I SHALL NOT WANT