CSNbbs
Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big10bbs (/forum-259.html)
+---- Forum: Big 10 Conference Talk (/forum-167.html)
+---- Thread: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 (/thread-780879.html)

Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Strut - 05-27-2016 08:10 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/133380/rutgers-to-host-maryland-at-yankee-stadium-in-2017

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - SeaBlue - 05-27-2016 09:35 PM

I haven't read Bennet's stuff in a while.

Seems to me the article has a negative tone to it. "Get ready for another Big Ten game in a baseball stadium"? Um, Yankee Stadium isn't your average baseball stadium.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - megadrone - 05-27-2016 09:48 PM

(05-27-2016 09:35 PM)SeaBlue Wrote:  I haven't read Bennet's stuff in a while.

Seems to me the article has a negative tone to it. "Get ready for another Big Ten game in a baseball stadium"? Um, Yankee Stadium isn't your average baseball stadium.

No but the sight lines are horrible for football. We've played twice in the Pinstripe bowl and one other game (Army home game) at Yankee Stadium; I wouldn't go. The stadium was build for baseball; football is horrible there.

The capacity for both Yankee and HPSS are about the same; so the Steinbrenners must be paying us an awful lot of money for this.

Overpriced concessions, overpriced parking, have to battle the Cross-Bronx Expwy, no tailgating, need I say more?

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - ohio1317 - 05-28-2016 11:09 AM

There still feels like something special about Yankee Stadium even if it was rebuilt. I am sure there are better venues from a football presective, but from a personal one, I'm probably more inclined to turn it on over other potential games with it being in Yankee Stadium.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - General Mike - 05-29-2016 05:32 PM

Don't like it.

If you want to play a conference game at Yankee Stadium, a) do it the year you have 5 conference home games, b) do it against someone from the other division. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Rich52c - 05-29-2016 06:37 PM

(05-29-2016 05:32 PM)General Mike Wrote:  Don't like it.

If you want to play a conference game at Yankee Stadium, a) do it the year you have 5 conference home games, b) do it against someone from the other division. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota.

Total crap move

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - GE and MTS - 05-29-2016 08:14 PM

I don't hate it. Maybe the Big Ten can have a "Big Ten takes over New York" thing where they have the first conference game of the year, say week 2 (and the only conference game that week), as a must-see game in New York City. Switch out the schools playing yearly so everyone gets a turn. Use Penn State, Rutgers, etc. to bring the crowds against schools with less pull in the area like (as I imagine it) Iowa, Northwestern, etc.

As for Rutgers and Maryland, I think it is a good idea, and potentially a great one. These two came into the conference at the same time and are the two closest geographically to each other with the possible exception of Penn State. This should be a big rivalry for each other and helping facilitate that is a great idea. The stakes are currently not very high for either football team so being creative sure helps. This should excite the fan bases who normally don't have a whole lot to generally get excited about. Think of it as a second bowl game.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - AntiG - 05-30-2016 10:22 AM

It's a shame the west side stadium never got built. That would have been the proper venue for something like this. Yankee stadium is awful for football.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - General Mike - 05-30-2016 04:17 PM

(05-30-2016 10:22 AM)AntiG Wrote:  It's a shame the west side stadium never got built. That would have been the proper venue for something like this. Yankee stadium is awful for football.

I'm surprised they haven;t brought the kickoff classic back to MetLife Stadium. The ACC-SEC have their Chick-Fil-A kickoff games in Atlanta every year, why can't the Big Ten have something similar.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Clammy - 05-30-2016 06:35 PM

(05-29-2016 08:14 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I don't hate it. Maybe the Big Ten can have a "Big Ten takes over New York" thing where they have the first conference game of the year, say week 2 (and the only conference game that week), as a must-see game in New York City. Switch out the schools playing yearly so everyone gets a turn. Use Penn State, Rutgers, etc. to bring the crowds against schools with less pull in the area like (as I imagine it) Iowa, Northwestern, etc.

As for Rutgers and Maryland, I think it is a good idea, and potentially a great one. These two came into the conference at the same time and are the two closest geographically to each other with the possible exception of Penn State. This should be a big rivalry for each other and helping facilitate that is a great idea. The stakes are currently not very high for either football team so being creative sure helps. This should excite the fan bases who normally don't have a whole lot to generally get excited about. Think of it as a second bowl game.

I like that idea much more than a mid-season conference game between two division basement dwellers.

If the B1G could build some hype around an annual game like that, I'd be into it. This RU-Maryland game doesn't make a lot of sense to me, though. Maybe it'll be good for TV. But it sucks for the fans. New Yankee Stadium is a really bad venue for football. I think it's a really bad venue for baseball too. No tailgating, bad sight lines, long bathroom lines, and a really long three-trains ride from NJ to the Bronx don't get me excited about it. I'll almost certainly be there, but I'll be hating it and wishing we were at HPSS instead.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Strut - 05-30-2016 08:10 PM

Isn't this just kind of "priming the pump" and building excitement with the expectation to flow back to campuses once things catch on a bit.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - brista21 - 06-03-2016 10:31 AM

(05-30-2016 08:10 PM)Strut Wrote:  Isn't this just kind of "priming the pump" and building excitement with the expectation to flow back to campuses once things catch on a bit.

Ideally. Maybe they'll return this with a game in Nationals Park or Camden Yards or better yet an actual football stadium like M&T Bank.

I personally hate this idea since Yankee Stadium isn't even all that good for baseball. The Yankees spent far more than the Mets did and Citi Field is night and day nicer. Citi Field feels like a really great ballpark. Yankee Stadium just doesn't have any real character. That being said, Yankee Stadium has horrible sightlines for football, it seems to be a bit better for soccer thanks to a wider playing field than North American football.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - Transic_nyc - 10-20-2017 11:24 PM

On second thought....

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rutgers-vs-maryland-moved-to-high-point-solutions-stad

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - GE and MTS - 10-21-2017 07:33 AM

I saw they changed it yesterday. That's a really tough break for the schools and fans that were going to attend.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - General Mike - 10-21-2017 11:17 AM

(10-21-2017 07:33 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I saw they changed it yesterday. That's a really tough break for the schools and fans that were going to attend.
Not really. I don't think there were many Rutgers fans excited about going to Yankee Stadium to watch football, though I do know one who was gonna take advantage of the situation.

Moving the game, and the pre-game wrestling match, back to campus is much better for fans.

Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - RutgersMike - 10-22-2017 08:44 PM

My friends from my graduating class always have a weekend together; Friday golf, Saturday game and revisiting our old watering holes. This year our mutual date was 11/4/17. Thank you Todd Frazier for getting the Yankees so deep into the ALCS that the game was moved back to Rutgers! Our tailgate is back on!

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - BadgerMJ - 10-23-2017 10:20 AM

(10-20-2017 11:24 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  On second thought....

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/rutgers-vs-maryland-moved-to-high-point-solutions-stad

That's too bad. It's just a little extra juice to give events that big game feeling.

I'm perfectly OK with schools doing things like this. I know the Wisconsin/LSU game at Lambeau went over really well with fans from both sides. Just makes it feel special.

RE: Rutgers to host Maryland at Yankee Stadium in 2017 - AntiG - 10-23-2017 02:19 PM

(10-21-2017 07:33 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I saw they changed it yesterday. That's a really tough break for the schools and fans that were going to attend.

not really... Yankee Stadium is terrible for football and annoying for NJ Rutgers fans to get to due to having to go through public transportation or the horrible tunnel/bridge traffic.