CSNbbs
ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ECU's next Basketball Coach? (/thread-840439.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 12:25 PM

(03-17-2018 11:30 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 11:20 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 10:43 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  NC Central and Moton have now made 3 NCAAs and an NIT in the last 5 season...just hire him and get to recruiting.

he has only ever known nc central, dating back to is playing days...how are you sure his x and os will win at this level..how do you know he can recruit at this level

also noting he is an "up and comer" if he has any success, nc state or some big progam will just come and snatch him....i dont like moton

I would think having having deep NC recruiting ties is a good thing for an ECU coach, right? I mean, how do I know? his results...

since joining the MEAC, Moton's NC Central squads have gone 149-82 (85-27 MEAC) featuring 3 NCAAs and a NIT.
deep recruiting ties?...nc central doesnt have any top recruits even for their level!.. have you actually looked at nc centrals roster? its 90% juco, 80% out of state...he almost exclusively recruits juco. what is your evidence of ties?

texas southern's coach has also made the tourney every year too i woulnt want their head coach either

moton wins in the meac.. i applaud that, but the meac is ranked 31 out of 32 in d1

show me any kind of history of a coach that was hired at that level that won on this level in a direct jump..(to wichita fans, the mvc isnt the aac, and the big south isnt the meac).. (that never played high level ball)

and you haven't even rebutted my main point.. i think he has a very small chance of success here without some stepping stones jobs to learn the x and os..but ive been wrong before.. my biggest issue with him is that if he has ANY success he will be hired away as a young star in the coaching world..
he would spend 3/4 years building up ecu, and get taken away , for ecu just to start all over again ..are you looking for that 1 year of success or to build a program...hire someone that will stay like Sampson, dunleavy... build the program...if houston had hired an up and comer who had the exact same success as Sampson, this would have been our last season with who ever that coach was.the 3 4str we have coming never touch houston

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 12:29 PM

(03-17-2018 12:00 PM)AndShock Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 10:43 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  NC Central and Moton have now made 3 NCAAs and an NIT in the last 5 season...just hire him and get to recruiting.

he has only ever known nc central, dating back to is playing days...how are you sure his x and os will win at this level..how do you know he can recruit at this level

also noting he is an "up and comer" if he has any success, nc state or some big progam will just come and snatch him....i dont like moton

Marshall was at Winthrop for 6 years. Moton has been at NC Central for 9.

The Big South was the 26-32 ranked conference throughout Marshall's tenure. The MEAC has been ranked as the 30-32 conference throughout Moton's tenure. Difference is that Marshall was able to put together a borderline top 50 team, Moton's been able to put together a borderline top 100.

and marshall spent 25 years as an assistant in numerous other schools and moton spent 2 years as an assistant ..in nc central

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - UofMemphis - 03-17-2018 12:31 PM

(03-17-2018 12:25 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 11:30 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

I would think having having deep NC recruiting ties is a good thing for an ECU coach, right? I mean, how do I know? his results...

since joining the MEAC, Moton's NC Central squads have gone 149-82 (85-27 MEAC) featuring 3 NCAAs and a NIT.
deep recruiting ties...nc central doesnt have a top recruits!.. have you actually looked at nc centrals roster? its 90% juco, 80% out of state...he almost exclusively recruits juco. what is your evidence of ties?

texas southern coach has also made the tourney every too i dont ant their head coach either

moton wins in the meac.. i applaud that, but the meac is ranked 31 out of 32 in d1

show me any kind of history of a coach at that was hired at that level that won on this level in a direct jump..(to wichita fans the mvc isnt the aac, and the big south isnt the meac).. (that ever played high level ball)

and you haven't even rebutted my main point.. i think he has a very small chance of success here without some stepping stones jobs..but ive been wrong before.. my biggest issue with him is that if he has ANY success he will be hied away as a young star in the coaching world..
he would spend 3/4 years building up ecu, and get taken away , for ecu just to start all over again ..are you looking for that 1 year of success or to build a program...hire someone that will stay like Sampson, dunleavy... build the program...if houston had hired an up and comer who had the exact same success as Sampson, this would have been our last season with who ever that coach was

that's the nature of the business. I mean, I much prefer Memphis football being seen as stepping stone by guys like Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell over being the coaching grave yard it had been.

also, ECU would be lucky to get Mike Davis (the texas southern coach)...

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Chappy - 03-17-2018 12:33 PM

(03-17-2018 11:20 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I don't think this actually changes us being able to get him if we wanted him to be the guy.

The only thing it changes is the people who were screaming 'nepotism' are gone.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PirateMarv - 03-17-2018 12:38 PM

(03-17-2018 10:36 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 06:52 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 11:58 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(03-16-2018 10:41 PM)Pirate1 Wrote:  Odom just got a ride to a much better job than the Pirates can offer

One never knows..but..I think you are correct Sir.

I almost am hoping they get blown out in their next game and we get a shot at him. Im very impressed with how he prepared his team for this game and SUPER impressed with his post game interview. He is one cool customer. He had not even broken a sweat in this game.

I think we still have a chance with him. His sample size is really small so I don't know if really big schools will go after him just yet. ECU would be a great opportunity to showcase himself. I was really impressed with his gameplan against UVA, he certainly shot up on my list.

I think he might still be in play. He's only coached in places in the southeast up until he took the UMBC job (which isn't that far removed), and there are only two openings in that part of the country right now: ECU and Charlotte. Tell me which of those you'd probably pick.

Of course, being a coach with roots firmly planted in the southeast didn't stop another high profile coach whom all in this forum either love or loathe (depending on your point of view) from uprooting to another part of the country. But I can't forsee Dave Odom's son straying too far from ACC country.

First of all he was an assistant coach at Charlotte. He became the interim head coach when Allen Majors was fired.

Second of all he has connections to ECU. His father used to be the head coach at ECU. His father was an assistant coach under Terry Holland at Virginia. Terry Holland later retired as AD at ECU. On top of that Dave Odom is on the committee doing the coaching search for ECU. Holland might also be on that committee, but I am not quite sure about that. Dave Odom has even said that his son is being considered for the position, but that he steps out the room when the committee mentions his son's name.

The only question that ever comes up is nepotism, but it is now obvious that the kid can actually coach.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 12:45 PM

(03-17-2018 12:31 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  that's the nature of the business. I mean, I much prefer Memphis football being seen as stepping stone by guys like Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell over being the coaching grave yard it had been.

not in basketball..you can keep coaches in basketball

in football: always go young up and comer, accepting that he will leave
in basketball: go retread (if you aren't a top 4 program in the league) and know they will build your program stay and become legends...

almost every trash to top tier programs in college basketball in the last 15 years was built on someone who was elite at he highest level before coming to the trash program...look at arizona (olson), sdsu (fisher)...this year tcu (dixon), auburn (pearl)

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - TU4ever - 03-17-2018 01:09 PM

(03-17-2018 12:45 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 12:31 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  that's the nature of the business. I mean, I much prefer Memphis football being seen as stepping stone by guys like Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell over being the coaching grave yard it had been.

not in basketball..you can keep coaches in basketball

in football: always go young up and comer, accepting that he will leave
in basketball: go retread (if you aren't a top 4 program in the league) and know they will build your program stay and become legends...

almost every trash to top tier programs in college basketball in the last 15 years was built on someone who was elite at he highest level before coming to the trash program...look at arizona (olson), sdsu (fisher)...this year tcu (dixon), auburn (pearl)

Tennessee (Barnes) . . . Oops they're a Blueblood

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-17-2018 04:33 PM

(03-17-2018 12:29 PM)pesik Wrote:  

The Big South was the 26-32 ranked conference throughout Marshall's tenure. The MEAC has been ranked as the 30-32 conference throughout Moton's tenure. Difference is that Marshall was able to put together a borderline top 50 team, Moton's been able to put together a borderline top 100.

and marshall spent 25 years as an assistant in numerous other schools and moton spent 2 years as an assistant ..in nc central

Once you get the HC experience nothing else matters. Marshall and Moton both did something that is usually a sign of future success: win somewhere that no one else has ever been able to win at before.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-17-2018 04:36 PM

Odom's win over UVA was certainly impressive and I would certainly rate him as one of my top choices. I still think I would have Dooley as my #1 choice of realistic candidates (I would have Earl Grant as #1 if I thought we could get him) due to his recruiting ability which is largely an unknown for Odom. Dooley's average recruiting score is currently higher than ECU's according to 247 and this is recruiting to an A-Sun school. I have no doubt he would elevate our recruiting. He also knows how to bring in quality transfer's as well, which in this day and age is very common in basketball.

It sounds like with Hart coming aboard we have essentially hit the reset button on the recruiting search so he may have a completely different approach than Compher, but with common sense I think we should get a huge improvement over what we had.

I think right now my list would be
1. Dooley
2. Wes Miller
3. Ryan Odom

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 05:49 PM

(03-17-2018 04:33 PM)AndShock Wrote:  

Once you get the HC experience nothing else matters. Marshall and Moton both did something that is usually a sign of future success: win somewhere that no one else has ever been able to win at before.

that bold part is completely wrong
im not denying his success, that should get him a job in the mvc or c-usa..he should work his way up...

again name 1 coach hired at that low of a level hired at a job at our level that had any success?? bottom 25 league, top 7 leaggue

out of curiosity i searched the most successful coaches in the MEAC history..none have been hired anywhere near this level..
the 2 that got promotions:
-- Steve Merfeld dominated at Hampton- was hired at evansville (mvc), was fired 5 years later for sucking
-- Cy Alexander dominated at South Carolina State (more ncaa and nit than moton) : went to Tennessee st (ovc), resigned 5 year later after subpar results, to go back to a meac school
--Anthony Evans at Norfolk State (the star of the meac before moton): current fiu coach, 5 horrible seasons

there is also history of coaches hwo has similar early success a moton who were never hired away....almost all bottomed out after 6/7 seasons like Don Corbett &Todd Bozeman

no history of anyone at that level with any success on this level

let me be clear, winning is irrelevant in deciding when you want to hire a coach without accounting for the level of competion

ill reference it back to houston because that is what im most familiar with our program.. this current houston team will go down as the best in 30 years.. but it wont even be top 5 the most talented houston roster the last 15..the difference is elite level coaching and x and o's ... the smallest things is the difference between winning and losing .. you have to be good at everything ...

at that level you likely just need to be good at one thing
do you honestly think moton can out-coach any aac coach? out recruiting anyone at ecu? know how to build a program a this level? the connections to build a schedule?
what is his advantage..intangibles/motivator means little at this level

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-17-2018 05:58 PM

(03-17-2018 05:49 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 11:20 AM)pesik Wrote:  he has only ever known nc central, dating back to is playing days...how are you sure his x and os will win at this level..how do you know he can recruit at this level

im not denying his success, that should get him a job in the mvc or c-usa..he should work his way up...

again name 1 coach hired at that low of a level hired at a job at our level that had any success?? bottom 25 league, top 7 leaggue

out of curiosity i searched the most successful coaches in the MEAC history..none have been hired anywhere near this level..
-- Steve Merfeld dominated at Hampton- was hired at evansville (mvc), was fired 5 years later for sucking
-- Cy Alexander dominated at South Carolina State (more ncaa and nit than moton) : went to Tennessee st (ovc), resigned 5 year later after subpar results, to go back to a meac school
--Anthony Evans at Norfolk State (the star of the meac before moton): current fiu coach, 5 horrible seasons

there is also history of coaches hwo has similar early success a moton who were never hired away....almost all bottomed out after 6/7 seasons like Don Corbett &Todd Bozeman

let me be clear, winning is irrelevant in deciding when you want to hire a coach without accounting for the level of competion

ill reference it back to houston because that is what im most familiar with our program.. this current houston team will go down as the best in 30 years.. but it wont even be top 5 the most talented houston roster the last 15..the difference is elite level coaching and x and o's ... the smallest things is the difference between winning and losing .. you have to be good at everything ...

do you honestly think moton can out-coach any aac coach? out recruiting anyone at ecu? know how to build a program a this level? the connections to build a schedule?

Gregg Marshall

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-17-2018 06:02 PM

(03-17-2018 05:49 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 11:20 AM)pesik Wrote:  he has only ever known nc central, dating back to is playing days...how are you sure his x and os will win at this level..how do you know he can recruit at this level

Wow this is really eye opening. I admit I've never been a huge Moton fan. I know a lot of people love his energy and say he's really connected to the AAU scene in NC but if we want to go with a high energy guy well connected to the NC AAU scene, I'm going with Wes Miller over Moton and it's not even close.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 06:05 PM

(03-17-2018 05:58 PM)AndShock Wrote:  Gregg Marshall

1) the mvc (not top 7) isnt the aac...the big south (not bottom 5) isnt the meac..
2) my whole debate point is questioning his knowledge of the x and os..Marshall had 25 years training before taking his 1st job

there is no success meac story

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-17-2018 06:24 PM

(03-17-2018 06:05 PM)pesik Wrote:  

1) the mvc (not top 7) isnt the aac...the big south (not bottom 5) isnt the meac..
2) my whole debate point is questioning his knowledge of the x and os..Marshall had 25 years training before taking his 1st job

The MVC was top 7 the year Marshall was hired and was basically even with the Big XII for 6th. People forget how good the Valley used to be.

You want to know why there hasn't been a MEAC success story? Because there is one coach who has coached a top 100 MEAC or SWAC team in the 17 year of history of KenPom.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-17-2018 07:02 PM

(03-17-2018 06:24 PM)AndShock Wrote:  

The MVC was top 7 the year Marshall was hired and was basically even with the Big XII for 6th. People forget how good the Valley used to be.

You want to know why there hasn't been a MEAC success story? Because there is one coach who has coached a top 100 MEAC or SWAC team in the 17 year of history of KenPom.

those 20 spots on kenpom are the difference between Steve Merfeld's hampton team (top 120, that upset top 20 unc) and moton, it will be the difference in moton success and merfeld complete failure in evansville

sarcasm aside, even you cant deny the huge risk in hiring him if you are being rational...

im all for risk..but it has to bring some benefit..penny i HUGE risk but the potential upside is crazy ..

moton is huge risk little upside.. if he has ANY success he will be hired away. being the guy to win at nc central and give ecu its first ever "atlarge" bid, he will be gone and seen as a star..
he will at best build a team before leaving , he wont be there long enough to build a program

in comparison to a guy like tubby or sampson. the risk is dramatically less and if they are successful they will stay there and buid the program..similar to what steve fisher did for sdsu

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-17-2018 07:49 PM

(03-17-2018 07:02 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 06:24 PM)AndShock Wrote:  

those 20 spots on kenpom are the difference between Steve Merfeld's hampton team (top 120, that upset top 20 unc) and moton, it will be the difference in moton success and merfeld complete failure in evansville

sarcasm aside, even you cant deny the huge risk in hiring him if you are being rational...

im all for risk..but it has to bring some benefit..penny i HUGE risk but the potential upside is crazy ..

moton is huge risk little upside.. if he has ANY success he will be hired away. being the guy to win at nc central and give ecu its first ever "atlarge" bid, he will be gone and seen as a star..
he will at best build a team before leaving , he wont be there long enough to build a program

in comparison to a guy like tubby or sampson. the risk is dramatically less and if they are successful they will stay there and buid the program..similar to what steve fisher did for sdsu

For the record I don’t think Moton is the best option. I would take Odom or Miller over him, easy. Forbes and Grant if those are realistic possibilities. Dooley and Moton are about even, imo. I think both are gonna be fine. I would take Moton over any assistant. People who’ve spent a decade somewhere aren’t job hoppers. His next job he will be planting roots.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - UofMemphis - 03-17-2018 09:00 PM

I would think Odom/Forbes now have higher sights than ECU.

Moton took a team with zero resources and turned them into a winner.

winning at ECU is HARD, man...because winning in the AAC is hard...then add on the lack of resources you get at ECU and I feel like Moton may be up to the challenge.

esp if he keeps Perry on as Assoc HC

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-17-2018 09:51 PM

(03-17-2018 09:00 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  I would think Odom/Forbes now have higher sights than ECU.

Moton took a team with zero resources and turned them into a winner.

winning at ECU is HARD, man...because winning in the AAC is hard...then add on the lack of resources you get at ECU and I feel like Moton may be up to the challenge.

esp if he keeps Perry on as Assoc HC

Forbes won't be an option but I think Odom is very much in play. The UVA win was great but it was still one game. Top level programs aren't going to jump on him just yet due to his small sample size, heck I don't even have him as my number 1 yet because he hasn't even had an opportunity to prove he can recruit at a high level. Also his best 2 players are seniors so he's looking at a rebuilding year if he stays.
Even if Odom is out of play I would go with Dooley or Wes Miller before Moton. Heck I would look at Mike Davis (whom he just played) before Moton as well.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - nomad2u2001 - 03-17-2018 11:08 PM

I'd take pretty much any mentioned coach in a second. I don't necessarily like the way Dooley and Moton's offenses work, but I'd take them. I also like Odom, Miller, Grant, and Tubby. We're in good hands no matter who gets it from this list.

We finally have the mixture of decent facilities and a good conference. Add a good head coach to that and we may see a turnaround.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Fo Shizzle - 03-18-2018 09:41 AM

If Odom wants to be at ECU?....Hire him..NOW. He is going to get a huge recruiting bump since the UVA win. Every kid playing BB now knows his name.