CSNbbs
ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ECU's next Basketball Coach? (/thread-840439.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - DownEastPirate - 03-28-2018 07:02 AM

(03-27-2018 06:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  Josh Graham
@_JoshDGraham

In addition to Joe Dooley, Levelle Moton and Bobby Lutz, a source tells @943TheGame that Seth Greenberg is in the mix for #ECU's basketball job.

---------------

i hate alll the options.. at this point ive given up on ecu being a top tier program. ive settled on who can keep ecu a top 200 rpi team

rankings
1) dooley- i dont think he is a bad coach but i believe a coach should only be allowed to fail once at a university, im hoping the 10 years at KU as an assistant is the key to change. of the options; best chance of success w/ the best chance to stay..decent ceiling, decent floor, sustainable

2)moton- only ever played and coached at 1 school, an extremely low level school, with no competition or talent answer near the AAC.. but has a track record of winning.. will also leave at first success, saying otherwise is naive (young up and comer)..very high ceiling, very low floor, not sustainable

3)Greenberg-- has little chance of real sustainable success, 3 tournaments in 22 years as a HC, 2 were auto bids... but might be the safest pick for "not horrible" "competitive" ..19 of his 22 teams had winning records, most of which were in top conferences.. he can keep ecu top 200 rpi...very low cieling, very high floor thou..extremely sustainable

4)Lutz - not sure why you would want to hire a coach that was fired from Charlotte (a local school). the last few years werent good at all..its a bad gamble, you hope his first 5 years at charlotte tell the real story of what he is capable off.. and hope you aren't catching him on a bad downward spiral... best case scenario he is fran dunphy/worst case he is lebo again...decent cieling, extremely low floors...extremely sustainable

ecu isnt becoming a power with any of them or even close ,id be shocked if ecu ever cracked top 4 with any of them..but this is the order id have, each drastically better than the one after..

You're thinking about this wrong. ECU is never going to be a championship level basketball team. It just isn't going to happen. And it's not about support or commitment, we're maxed out financially and we are still last in basketball budget.

Some AAC fans who bash ECU for the current bball and fball status don't realize how behind we are financially and there is nothing immediate we can do about it, it's always been a problem and will probably continue to be one as the rich get richer. We put enough money into football where we can be championship level but we cannot do that and give the same amount of money to bball.

We just need a coach who can have us middle of the pack/NIT most years and a sprinkle of top half and possibly at large NCAA every 3 or 4 years.

Moton - GIGANTIC risk that we don't need to try IMO, #4
Dooley - should've hired him months ago, elite level recruiter, lost 7 players off Enfield's Sweet 16 team and still won 22 games and went to the NIT the following year, FGCU has been "his" team since year 2 and he has exceeded Enfield's progress. Dooley has done more to build that program than Enfield did even tho he gets the credit, still #1
Lutz - safe, successful coach, really tuned into AAU, willing to take less money to get better assistants,#2A
Greenberg - did a good job at two tough jobs, ESPN face may help with recruiting, had a lot of years with an ACC budget, can he handle our budget restrictions?,#2B

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - 8BitPirate - 03-28-2018 07:04 AM

(03-27-2018 09:41 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 09:38 PM)shocks21 Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 09:30 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  [Image: JhJ-yJ.gif]

*** 50 pages on ECU Basketball! ***

Hey, we all want you guys to be good 04-cheers

^ this

I just want us to make the NIT every 3 or 4 years and the NCAA once every 10 to 15. Thats all.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 03-28-2018 07:40 AM

(03-27-2018 05:52 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 05:00 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(03-27-2018 02:48 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Now Seth Greenberg's name is floating around. Can we please stop this cruel game and just give Pitino whatever we can afford to come here. I'm tired of all this speculation and bogus info circulating & I really am about to lose it if we don't get a quality coach to Greenville ASAP!

Came back and logged in to say I just saw that Greenberg's name is in play for ECU. Maybe it's a "time heals all wounds" kind of thing, but I think Seth can be successful at ECU. First off, he's a decent enough X's and O's guy and is a reasonably good talent evaluator and recruiter. To be honest, the biggest issue was that he always had a wandering eye, which hurt him in recruiting in his later years at USF. I get the sense from people who've interviewed him since he got fired at Virginia Tech that he's no longer looking for stepping stone jobs, which means he can solely focus on the job at hand - turning the Pirates into a top AAC team.

Regardless, good luck. I've witnessed first-hand what it's like when your AD makes a terrible hire. I will never understand how a non-blue blood is going to hire a young assistant at a place like Kentucky and think they're going to come in and succeed. It's not like you're going to be getting McDonald's AA's to just show up and out-talent other teams! I think the best shots for places like USF or ECU are to get coaches who have experience building mid-majors. Seth did that at Long Beach.

USFFan

I think he's an intriguing candidate. He has a history of being successful at historically unsuccessful programs. At Va Tech he came in right as they were transitioning to the ACC. He took them to the post season 6 out of his 8 years and was ACC COY twice. He essentially became a victim of his own success though since the expectations increased from just making the NIT to making the tournament and he only did that once. At 61 if he could give us a solid 5 year run with some post season experience, it could lead to a much more attractive job for any successor, sort of like it worked for Va Tech. I still would prefer Dooley, but I could see how he could potentially be a good fit at ECU if he still has the drive (that might be a big if since he's been out of coaching for 6 years).

As someone who was at Virginia Tech while Greenberg was there, the issue at the end was not that he was a victim of his own success. His biggest problem was that he had alienated a huge portion of the athletic department. He wasn't liked by many people there when he was canned.

I firmly believe that if Greenberg had an easier personality to deal with on a day-to-day basis, he'd never have been fired. When you combine his abrasive personality behind the scenes and his "woe is us" attitude every year after getting snubbed by the committee, it's harder to deal with NIT appearances every season.

I think Greenberg did an excellent job during his time there, but I think a lot of people forget that the reason we were on the bubble so often is because we lost games to opponents we should have beaten. They remember that we had one signature win in some of those years, but you can't lose to middling opponents and expect the committee to overlook it.

All that being said, I think he'd be a very good hire for ECU. I think he's a little overrated as an X's and O's guy, but he's got a very good eye for talent and recruited well. If he'd been retained at VT, Montrezl Harrell would have been a Hokie.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - mikeinoki - 03-28-2018 08:06 AM

(03-28-2018 07:04 AM)8BitPirate Wrote:  

^ this

I just want us to make the NIT every 3 or 4 years and the NCAA once every 10 to 15. Thats all.

That would be an improvement, but it's not enough. At least a persistent NIT bid should be the goal. I don't see an NCAA at large bid anytime soon, in view of our conference opponents. Maybe if we got Tricky Ricky, but that ain't gonna happen and I don't think I would want it to.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - ECUGrad07 - 03-28-2018 08:57 AM

Wait - I thought there were tons of non-ECU people on here talking about how amazing of a pick Moton would be just a few short weeks ago. He isn't anymore?

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Stickboy46 - 03-28-2018 09:12 AM

^ this

If that's the goal .. you guys need to move down conferences ... There is no reason that every team shouldn't have a goal of NIT at minimum and really should be expecting NCAA bid every year.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - nomad2u2001 - 03-28-2018 09:30 AM

^ this

NIT every year. 19 or 20 wins every year.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Chappy - 03-28-2018 09:37 AM

I want ECU hoops to reach a level where we're not viewed as an easy win every year and have opposing fans actually care when we come to town.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - KNIGHTTIME - 03-28-2018 09:45 AM

(03-28-2018 09:12 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  

^ this

If that's the goal .. you guys need to move down conferences ... There is no reason that every team shouldn't have a goal of NIT at minimum and really should be expecting NCAA bid every year.

It takes time. Getting respectable would be a huge improvement. Getting a nit bid would be great in 1-2 years.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - ECUGrad07 - 03-28-2018 09:49 AM

The longer this drags on, the more I expect we're going to end up with Moton.

I hope we are trying to scrape money together to get Dooley. Embarrassing that we may not have enough $ in the budget to lure an Atlantic Sun coach away.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - nomad2u2001 - 03-28-2018 09:56 AM

(03-28-2018 09:37 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I want ECU hoops to reach a level where we're not viewed as an easy win every year and have opposing fans actually care when we come to town.

When I was in pep band we asked Terry Holland why he always sent the pep band to the women's tournament rather than splitting the band between both tournies.

He said that we worked too hard all season and that he didn't want to doom half of us to a one day trip.

That's the basketball I never want to see again.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - 2bumsabroad - 03-28-2018 09:58 AM

(03-28-2018 08:57 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Wait - I thought there were tons of non-ECU people on here talking about how amazing of a pick Moton would be just a few short weeks ago. He isn't anymore?

Everyone expects us to make a Pitino/crean/matta hire. Sadly it just isnt going to happen

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - wavefan12 - 03-28-2018 09:58 AM

(03-28-2018 09:49 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The longer this drags on, the more I expect we're going to end up with Moton.

I hope we are trying to scrape money together to get Dooley. Embarrassing that we may not have enough $ in the budget to lure an Atlantic Sun coach away.

I don't get it, you just built a $17mm practice facility and are located in one of the best recruiting areas of the country.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Pony94 - 03-28-2018 10:02 AM

(03-28-2018 09:58 AM)2bumsabroad Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 08:57 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Wait - I thought there were tons of non-ECU people on here talking about how amazing of a pick Moton would be just a few short weeks ago. He isn't anymore?

Everyone expects us to make a Pitino/crean/matta hire. Sadly it just isnt going to happen

Never know. We fired Steve Orsini during our basketball search and hired Rick Hart (son of guy leading your search) and we got Larry Brown

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - b0ndsj0ns - 03-28-2018 11:25 AM

(03-28-2018 10:02 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 09:58 AM)2bumsabroad Wrote:  

Never know. We fired Steve Orsini during our basketball search and hired Rick Hart (son of guy leading your search) and we got Larry Brown

You also have insanely deep pockets and really all it takes is to be motivated and you'll spend 2-3 million for a coach and not bat an eye. That is not feasible at ECU right now. We always have budget limitations in comparison to you guys, and then because of Compher's financial mismanagement we are running a deficit currently of around 3 million dollars overall. There's not going to be a out of nowhere huge money big name hire.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PirateTreasureNC - 03-28-2018 11:31 AM

The way the heat is turning up on the rumor/ paywall wire we might have an answer by the end of the week. And no, this post doesn't mean something has gone all the way through yet on any particular rumored candidate in the pool.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - TexanMark - 03-28-2018 11:34 AM

(03-28-2018 09:58 AM)wavefan12 Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 09:49 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  The longer this drags on, the more I expect we're going to end up with Moton.

I don't get it, you just built a $17mm practice facility and are located in one of the best recruiting areas of the country.

NC is an ACC state...tough for ECU to elevate

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - liquidshade - 03-28-2018 12:08 PM

Now that I realize we are broke and the athletic department mismanaged funds. Even though I'm not a huge fan of this guy but Bobby Lutz is probably the best hire we can get for our money. The guy seems like he really wants the job and would probably want to be here for the long haul. Also he comes on the cheap and still got some fire in him. Greenberg is a familiar name but Lutz has a better resume, and Dooley I think is a no go.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - ECUGrad07 - 03-28-2018 12:29 PM

Question for the non-ECU folks who are reading this thread...

We all know the AAC is becoming a basketball league with some great head coaches with pedigree.

We might just still be in the running for Joe Dooley. In your opinion... where does Dooley fit in this conference with Dawkins, Sampson, Marshall, Hardaway, Hurley, Dunleavy, etc?

I think he is an instant upgrade for ECU from a recruiting standpoint, and from an in-game coaching standpoint as well.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-28-2018 12:44 PM

(03-28-2018 12:29 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Question for the non-ECU folks who are reading this thread...

We all know the AAC is becoming a basketball league with some great head coaches with pedigree.

We might just still be in the running for Joe Dooley. In your opinion... where does Dooley fit in this conference with Dawkins, Sampson, Marshall, Hardaway, Hurley, Dunleavy, etc?

I think he is an instant upgrade for ECU from a recruiting standpoint, and from an in-game coaching standpoint as well.

Marshall
Cronin
Hurley
Sampson
Dunleavy
Dooley
Dunphy
Dawkins
Haith
Gregory
Penny
Jank

In the order of who I would pick to coach us.