CSNbbs
ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ECU's next Basketball Coach? (/thread-840439.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-03-2018 12:50 PM

(03-03-2018 09:19 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 09:15 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 09:12 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  who is ron sanchez?

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/sanchez_ron00.html

eh....pass

I think ECU is best off getting a name coach that is not at a major program for one reason or another and taking a chance on him, similar to what UH did with Sampson.

It's a bit of a gamble, but ECU has zero basketball equity/prestige. A name coach can do wonders with that. The kids go to play for the coach, not the program in instances like that. Hiring a young and up and comer is dumb for them.

a. he may suck and they remain in obscurity
b. if he's worth a darn, he's gone on the first train out of dodge

I think they need an older, name coach who could be at a big program, but isn't for various reasons.

Roll the dice Pirate, what have you got to lose?!?!?

i 100% agree with bc1

1) in football young assistant from great programs are great hiree...in basketball they arent.... usf hired kentuckys top assistant when they were goliath and were horrible ..

retreads are the recipe in basketball ...great coaches looking for somewhere to retire has done wonders for the AAC (sampson, larry brown, dunleavy)

the only options with this hire
1) fails

2) takes 3-4 years to build ecu into a tourney team, just to have a bigger program take him as soon as he does (they love up and comers)..for ecu to start all over again ..3/4 years of struggle just to get 1 good years before being forced to start over

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - HuskyU - 03-03-2018 12:56 PM

Becky Hammon

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Chappy - 03-03-2018 12:58 PM

Geno Auriemma

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - HuskyU - 03-03-2018 01:02 PM

(03-03-2018 12:58 PM)Chappy Wrote:  Geno Auriemma

Hard pass. He knows a dumpster fire when he sees one...

[Image: Kevin+Ollie+and+Geno+Auriemma+2.jpg]

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - rosewater - 03-03-2018 01:06 PM

(03-03-2018 12:16 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 11:28 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 10:13 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 09:19 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 09:15 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/sanchez_ron00.html

eh....pass

I think ECU is best off getting a name coach that is not at a major program for one reason or another and taking a chance on him, similar to what UH did with Sampson.

It's a bit of a gamble, but ECU has zero basketball equity/prestige. A name coach can do wonders with that. The kids go to play for the coach, not the program in instances like that. Hiring a young and up and comer is dumb for them.

a. he may suck and they remain in obscurity
b. if he's worth a darn, he's gone on the first train out of dodge

I think they need an older, name coach who could be at a big program, but isn't for various reasons.

Roll the dice Pirate, what have you got to lose?!?!?

I personally don't mind an up and comer but you're right there is risk, just as their is risk with hiring an assistant or going for the big name retread route like you suggest. I do think one reason why Joe Dooley is reportedly one of our top choices is he is in the tweener stage. Early 50's so he is not exactly a young up and comer but still young enough with fire and energy. The other nice thing is he reportedly has family in the area and potentially wouldn't be looking at jumping ship if he has success. While I like the idea of Dooley I still would probably have Earl Grant (coach at Charleston) above him (I think he faces tougher competition and also has worked as an assistant for Greg Marshall). I really like Steve Forbes at ETSU but he reportedly has a $500,000 buyout and I'm thinking he's holding out for a bigger job.

The only realistic retreads I could think we would have a shot with off the top of my head are Andy Kennedy, Mark Gottfried, Seth Greenberg and Larry Eustachy. I'm not sure though any of these guys would have super name recognition though like a Kelvin Sampson.
I would take Mark Gottfried of the four named above. He recruited very well at Nc State, just not good enough to keep up in the ACC.

Gottfried initially did great at State. The last couple of seasons were really disappointing though, no doubt he can recruit. Of the retreads the one that would intrigue me is Kennedy. Other than this year he had winning seasons for something like 11 straight years at Ole Miss, which is a tough place to win at but he has some baggage. All that being said, I personally would prefer an up and comer and maybe even a top assistant coach then a retread. I think Lebo just burned that bridge for me, I want to get a coach with some energy and fire in them which has clearly been lacking at ECU for far too long.

I think a lot of times coaches coming from bigger schools that come to ECU focus on what they don't have (compared to what they use to have) instead of just rolling up the sleeves and coaching. It seemed like Lebo would always have an excuse for why he couldn't succeed even though schools with a tenth of our budget have had success.

I loved the Kennedy team when he filled in for Huggins during the suspension/firing. His team played hard and he made the most of a team that played seven or eight players. We also had Frank Martin on the bench to help out. I pulled for Kennedy to get the full time gig over Mick Cronin. However, I learned later that there were a lot of shady things going on. It turned out that a couple of seniors were not going to classes and he did not recruit at all in this interim. We were close to making the tournament and probably should have been in the field. There was a rumor that the committee was tipped off that several Bearcats were not going to be eligible academically(class attendance) so they passed on us. This left a poor taste in my mouth. There was a report that after Cronin was given the job, Huggins and Kennedy were bragging about the poor position they left UC basketball. I did enjoy the year though.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - UofMemphis - 03-03-2018 01:09 PM

Andy Kennedy is a solid coach.

his team was in bumble-f**k Mississippi and their coliseum looked like this:
[Image: 58fab5bc672d3.image.jpg]

he still managed to take them to 2 NCAAs and 6 NITs (along with a 19 and 20 win season where they declined CBI bids)

so I feel like he could take small town ECU with that old coliseum and turn them into what Ole Miss had going...a consistent NIT team that made the NCAAs from time to time

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Chappy - 03-03-2018 01:20 PM

I totally agree we need to go with a big name that can attract recruits right away. Just don't know what we can afford.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Bearcats#1 - 03-03-2018 01:39 PM

(03-03-2018 01:20 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I totally agree we need to go with a big name that can attract recruits right away. Just don't know what we can afford.

The big name you can afford is going to be a coach that isn't at high major program for a reason (was let go for cause, etc).

Think SMU hiring Larry Brown, UH hiring Kelvin Sampson.

You guys need that type of guy. Like, if Bruce Pearl comes available.

I'd say Sean Miller, but its too soon. But if it was two-three years from now, Sean Miller.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Doglando - 03-03-2018 01:55 PM

Tom Crean is the A+ hire here. Taking Indiana from a 6 win season to a 1 seed in 5 years was no joke. He's a likeable guy and I don't think he'd be the type to dash after their first good season

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - TU4ever - 03-03-2018 02:10 PM

What they choose to do isn't as important as when. ECU got a break in Lebo resigning huge save on money, free chance to see what Perry could do and quiet any future rumblings about him. The school has shown it can compete when it wants to if it decides it wants to. But timing is everything, the picture is getting clearer just not the right time yet.

When is the right time?

After they fire their AD and every ECU fan knows that's true. Don't give him a chance to f it up. You have a golden opportunity in a very solid bball conference, we know he'll screw the pooch, punt him first, then hire Tom Crean.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-03-2018 03:50 PM

(03-03-2018 01:55 PM)Doglando Wrote:  Tom Crean is the A+ hire here. Taking Indiana from a 6 win season to a 1 seed in 5 years was no joke. He's a likeable guy and I don't think he'd be the type to dash after their first good season

Crean would be a no brainer, but lets be realistic, Crean is not coming to ECU. But any ECU fan would take Crean in a heartbeat.

ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PurpleReigns - 03-03-2018 03:56 PM

(03-03-2018 01:20 PM)Chappy Wrote:  I totally agree we need to go with a big name that can attract recruits right away. Just don't know what we can afford.

An expired Popeyes coupon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PurpleReigns - 03-03-2018 03:58 PM

(03-03-2018 02:10 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  What they choose to do isn't as important as when. ECU got a break in Lebo resigning huge save on money, free chance to see what Perry could do and quiet any future rumblings about him. The school has shown it can compete when it wants to if it decides it wants to. But timing is everything, the picture is getting clearer just not the right time yet.

When is the right time?

After they fire their AD and every ECU fan knows that's true. Don't give him a chance to f it up. You have a golden opportunity in a very solid bball conference, we know he'll screw the pooch, punt him first, then hire Tom Crean.

He just sold his house and there is a lot of smoke about him being fired with the rumor of a structured buyout being worked on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-03-2018 04:00 PM

I would be interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on John Thompson III. I know his teams had a reputation for underperforming in the tourney but looking at his overall resume at Princeton and Georgetown, its pretty impressive. He's been to 10 NCAA's, out of 17 years of coaching, they made the post season every year but 3. He also won 58% of his games in a really tough Big East.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - UofMemphis - 03-03-2018 04:09 PM

I kinda feel like Tom Crean and JTIII are shooting a little higher than ECU.

but Andy Kennedy as HC with Perry as Assoc HC...I could maybe see that.

LeVelle Moton is always a solid fall back position.

I could see Crean landing at Mississippi and Thad Matta would be just the kind of coach to guide Louisville through the next few uncertain seasons...just my opinion

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - liquidshade - 03-03-2018 04:11 PM

I think JT3 would be a great hire and would fit everything ECU is looking for. Also I think he would take the job, and do very well here. If I was running things and being realistic to the situation my top five would be the following.

1. John Thompson III
2. Andy Kennedy
3. Ryan Odom
4. Earl Grant
5. Bob Richey

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-03-2018 04:18 PM

(03-03-2018 04:09 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  I kinda feel like Tom Crean and JTIII are shooting a little higher than ECU.

but Andy Kennedy as HC with Perry as Assoc HC...I could maybe see that.

LeVelle Moton is always a solid fall back position.

You're probably right about Crean and JTIII. As far as LeVelle, I'm not quite as sold on him as others. Certainly he should be a candidate, but I would certainly put Dooley, Grant and probably even McDevitt (UNCA coach) ahead of him. Heck with how they are playing lately I probably would even look at Wes Miller on the same level of a Moton.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - TU4ever - 03-03-2018 04:21 PM

(03-03-2018 04:11 PM)liquidshade Wrote:  I think JT3 would be a great hire and would fit everything ECU is looking for. Also I think he would take the job, and do very well here. I also really like Thad Matta but he is looking at the Ole Miss job so don't think that is going to happen. JT3 is my first choice, Kennedy is second and I think both would be a homerun.

I said something about this a few weeks ago. I also think he would fit well. In his recruiting area, solid name coach, experienced. No one major will give him a run right now. For the first time academics will not be a huge consideration in his recruiting.

The added bonus is he could probably make some quality control demand type items and make ECU much more competitive. Since he has been announcing American games he has a solid idea about facilities, staffs, and players so he will know what ECU needs to be on par.

Think this meets the requirements of BC#1 posts earlier.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-03-2018 04:37 PM

Don’t hire someone who got fired.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - UofMemphis - 03-03-2018 04:49 PM

(03-03-2018 04:37 PM)AndShock Wrote:  Don’t hire someone who got fired.

I don't agree. Crean was fired for not living up to lofty Indiana basketball standards. His last two seasons there featured a Sweet 16 and NIT appearance.

He would represent a 'home run' for ECU...point is, not all fired coaches are bad.