CSNbbs
ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ECU's next Basketball Coach? (/thread-840439.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-03-2018 05:38 PM

(03-03-2018 04:37 PM)AndShock Wrote:  Don’t hire someone who got fired.

I think it just depends on the situation. Like Kennedy for example got fired for having a losing season this year, but it was also his first losing season in his 12 years as coach with one of the toughest jobs in the SEC. In a situation like that I'm not going to hold it against him. Now someone like Gottfried is an interesting case, had 4 outstanding years at State but his last 2 weren't good. He also fizzled out at Alabama prior to that. While he has had more tournament success than any coach ECU has had I would probably stay away from him. The truth is Lebo hasn't set the bar too high here at ECU so most of the names being thrown around, at least on the surface look like an upgrade.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PirateMarv - 03-03-2018 07:03 PM

ECU is a strange job. It is a program in a great recruiting area, but the school has no commitment to basketball.

ECU almost has to hire a guy that has been a winner as a head coach, because that is the type of guy that can win with the lackluster commitment from the school. That type of coach might actually get the school to make a commitment to basketball. A good young assistant coach would not be a bad hire, but ECU is a bad job that might break a young guy.

A guy like Dooley, Crean, Moton, JTIII would all work. If Pitino really wants to get back into coach he is even worth a call. He would at least get the program off the deck before he is banned by the NCAA.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - pesik - 03-03-2018 07:10 PM

sampson was fired, larry brown was fired dunleavy was fired, bruce pearl was fired..tom crean was fired

a fired coach IMO is the route to go....an up and comer they are looking for a stepping stone and have a higher rate of failure in basketball

being fired isnt an issuee as long as the resume justifies it...

a coach with 10 ncaa tournament 4 nits, 3 sweet 16s, but is then fired because he didnt make the tournament the last 3 years because the standard is so high at that school is a home run hire

ecu needs a coach who is good and who will stay...with's ecu's budget thats a retread

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-03-2018 07:19 PM

(03-03-2018 07:10 PM)pesik Wrote:  

sampson was fired, larry brown was fired dunleavy was fired, bruce pearl was fired..tom crean was fired

a fired coach IMO is the route to go....an up and comer they are looking for a stepping stone and have a higher rate of failure in basketball

a coach with 10 ncaa tournament 4 nits, 3 sweet 16s, but is then fired because he didnt make the tournament the last 3 years because the standard is so high at that school is a home run hire

ecu needs a coach who is good and who will stay...with's ecu's budget thats a retread

I meant fired from college so Dunleavy doesn’t count. I wouldn’t want any of the others listed coaching my program.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Bearcats#1 - 03-03-2018 07:28 PM

Crean would be a HUGE get but I'm not sure ECU can land him.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Wheatshock - 03-03-2018 07:31 PM

(03-03-2018 07:19 PM)AndShock Wrote:  

I meant fired from college so Dunleavy doesn’t count. I wouldn’t want any of the others listed coaching my program.

So you wouldn't want Chris Jans for WSU when Marshall retires?

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-03-2018 07:39 PM

(03-03-2018 07:31 PM)Wheatshock Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 07:19 PM)AndShock Wrote:  

So you wouldn't want Chris Jans for WSU when Marshall retires?

I make exceptions for people who shouldn’t have been fired. You can decide if Crean deserves to be on that exception list of not. The others are pretty clear.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - HuskyU - 03-03-2018 07:44 PM

Kennedy is a good coach. Ain't nobody making Ole Miss a perennial Top 25/tourney team. Teh delusion is real with Ole Miss basketball fans/admins. Kennedy will do well elsewhere.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - billybobby777 - 03-03-2018 08:21 PM

Sean Miller.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Niner National - 03-04-2018 10:32 AM

(03-03-2018 08:21 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Sean Miller.

He's ****** and nobody is going to touch him because penalties will be tied to him.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Bearcats#1 - 03-04-2018 10:33 AM

(03-04-2018 10:32 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

He's ****** and nobody is going to touch him because penalties will be tied to him.

yeah...but wait a couple years

If Gregory doesn't work out at USF, Miller would be a great option for them in about two years.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - HuskyU - 03-04-2018 10:37 AM

(03-04-2018 10:33 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 10:32 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

yeah...but wait a couple years

If Gregory doesn't work out at USF, Miller would be a great option for them in about two years.

Yup. Bruce Pearl 2.0.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - AndShock - 03-04-2018 08:17 PM

Casey Alexander anyone?

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - msm96wolf - 03-04-2018 09:30 PM

(03-03-2018 07:03 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  ECU is a strange job. It is a program in a great recruiting area, but the school has no commitment to basketball.

ECU almost has to hire a guy that has been a winner as a head coach, because that is the type of guy that can win with the lackluster commitment from the school. That type of coach might actually get the school to make a commitment to basketball. A good young assistant coach would not be a bad hire, but ECU is a bad job that might break a young guy.

A guy like Dooley, Crean, Moton, JTIII would all work. If Pitino really wants to get back into coach he is even worth a call. He would at least get the program off the deck before he is banned by the NCAA.

It will be interesting to see who gets hired. ECU has to be one of the hardest coaching basketball jobs in the country.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-05-2018 03:04 PM

A brief update from the rumor mill. Supposedly our AD was down at FGCU to meet with Joe Dooley, his team lost the A-Sun championship game but are guaranteed a spot in the NIT. There are also rumors that Dooley is reaching out to local NC high schools already so it would appear on the surface he is a prime candidate at this point and that there is mutual interest. That being said I don't know if he would formally accept the job until after their post season is completed.

For those that don't know much about him, he coached at ECU back in the mid to late 90's and is the last head coach to have a winning record at ECU. His dismissal from ECU was very controversial and he would go on to be a long time assistant under Bill Self at Kansas.

His record at FGCU is 114-57 with 2 NCAA appearances and most likely 2 NIT's (including this year). They've gone to the post season every year he's been there. He was a finalist for the New Mexico job last year and has been linked to several openings in the past (including UNCW last year).

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PirateMarv - 03-05-2018 05:57 PM

(03-05-2018 03:04 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  A brief update from the rumor mill. Supposedly our AD was down at FGCU to meet with Joe Dooley, his team lost the A-Sun championship game but are guaranteed a spot in the NIT. There are also rumors that Dooley is reaching out to local NC high schools already so it would appear on the surface he is a prime candidate at this point and that there is mutual interest. That being said I don't know if he would formally accept the job until after their post season is completed.

For those that don't know much about him, he coached at ECU back in the mid to late 90's and is the last head coach to have a winning record at ECU. His dismissal from ECU was very controversial and he would go on to be a long time assistant under Bill Self at Kansas.

His record at FGCU is 114-57 with 2 NCAA appearances and most likely 2 NIT's (including this year). They've gone to the post season every year he's been there. He was a finalist for the New Mexico job last year and has been linked to several openings in the past (including UNCW last year).

I don't understand how college sports work, but if the A.D. flew there to meet the guy then it would seem to me that they must have or be close to a deal. I can not imagine that a face to face meeting would be their first contact. In must high jobs like that I would think a telephone meeting or a meeting with intermediaries would have taken place first. Then again Compher is incompetent so there is no telling what might have happened.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - shockerfan1313 - 03-05-2018 06:07 PM

(03-05-2018 05:57 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(03-05-2018 03:04 PM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  A brief update from the rumor mill. Supposedly our AD was down at FGCU to meet with Joe Dooley, his team lost the A-Sun championship game but are guaranteed a spot in the NIT. There are also rumors that Dooley is reaching out to local NC high schools already so it would appear on the surface he is a prime candidate at this point and that there is mutual interest. That being said I don't know if he would formally accept the job until after their post season is completed.

I don't understand how college sports work, but if the A.D. flew there to meet the guy then it would seem to me that they must have or be close to a deal. I can not imagine that a face to face meeting would be their first contact. In must high jobs like that I would think a telephone meeting or a meeting with intermediaries would have taken place first. Then again Compher is incompetent so there is no telling what might have happened.

Usually a third party will be the go-between initially to gauge interest for both sides. If there is at least some interest then face to face could happen discreetly. Both will deny until the timing is right (season is over for that team) and then you will hear leaks of offers. Which will be denied until a contract is signed or at least verbally agreed upon.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - PirateMarv - 03-05-2018 06:30 PM

(03-05-2018 06:07 PM)shockerfan1313 Wrote:  

Usually a third party will be the go-between initially to gauge interest for both sides. If there is at least some interest then face to face could happen discreetly. Both will deny until the timing is right (season is over for that team) and then you will hear leaks of offers. Which will be denied until a contract is signed or at least verbally agreed upon.

Yep. That sounds about like how I would think that it would work.

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - Niner National - 03-05-2018 06:58 PM

Dooley would be a nice hire for ecu

RE: ECU's next Basketball Coach? - k-vegasbuc - 03-05-2018 07:19 PM

(03-05-2018 06:30 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  
(03-05-2018 06:07 PM)shockerfan1313 Wrote:  

Yep. That sounds about like how I would think that it would work.

Yeah I imagine they really start reaching out during the season through third parties. I'm sure ECU will want to move as quickly as possible before other schools potentially come calling. I was doing some research and saw that Dooley was a finalist for 3 jobs last year (New Mexico, UNCW, and UMass) so I'm sure there's going to be interest this year as well.