CSNbbs
CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview (/thread-841185.html)

CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - solohawks - 01-26-2018 03:59 PM

https://omny.fm/shows/the-beat-and-the-beard/state-of-the-caa-with-joe-dantonio?in_playlist=the-beat-and-the-beard!podcast

good listen

RE: CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - Michael in Raleigh - 01-28-2018 01:20 PM

It's underrated how hard realignment hit the CAA. It was almost on par with the A-10 seven years ago, arguably even better. It was at least on par with the late 2000's Missouri Valley, when Wichita, Creighton, Northern Iowa, and Southern Illinois were all making noise in the tournament. Then the CAA lost VCU, Mason, Georgia State, and Old Dominion. It could have been an annual multi bid league. Now it is decidedly a one bid league no different from the SoCon.

It was interesting what Dantonio said about how broadcasters are no longer willing to pay conferences for content and that the schools/leagues have to pay production costs themselves. I wonder how many leagues outsid the P5, Big East, and AAC this will affect.

RE: CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - Tom in Lazybrook - 01-28-2018 02:30 PM

(01-28-2018 01:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  It's underrated how hard realignment hit the CAA. It was almost on par with the A-10 seven years ago, arguably even better. It was at least on par with the late 2000's Missouri Valley, when Wichita, Creighton, Northern Iowa, and Southern Illinois were all making noise in the tournament. Then the CAA lost VCU, Mason, Georgia State, and Old Dominion. It could have been an annual multi bid league. Now it is decidedly a one bid league no different from the SoCon.

It was interesting what Dantonio said about how broadcasters are no longer willing to pay conferences for content and that the schools/leagues have to pay production costs themselves. I wonder how many leagues outsid the P5, Big East, and AAC this will affect.

The A-10 will get some nominal money. And perhaps the WCC. Pretty much everyone else will be paying to air basketball games.

RE: CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - Kittonhead - 01-28-2018 11:48 PM

(01-28-2018 01:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  It was interesting what Dantonio said about how broadcasters are no longer willing to pay conferences for content and that the schools/leagues have to pay production costs themselves. I wonder how many leagues outsid the P5, Big East, and AAC this will affect.

This isn't affecting the MAC but the MAC to stay in the game was willing to provide ESPN with the mid-week package.

MWC and CUSA seem to be thinking outside of the box with Stadium and Facebook banking they'll be players in the future. If they don't get paid at least they could have their own channels not regulated by ESPN.

Boise State I feel got a lot more attention when they played more games on mid-week. More attention of course when they were completing undefeated on or 1 loss season when it would come down to that game against Hawaii or Nevada for titles. They are still pretty good but you don't hear about them talked as much.

RE: CAA Commissioner Podcast Interview - The Cutter of Bish - 01-29-2018 07:24 AM

(01-28-2018 01:20 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  It was interesting what Dantonio said about how broadcasters are no longer willing to pay conferences for content and that the schools/leagues have to pay production costs themselves. I wonder how many leagues outsid the P5, Big East, and AAC this will affect.

Yeah, it's the price of synergy, and broadcasters' stakes in major conferences. They're invested in the conference, and can keep resources and infrastructure there to air and produce content.

I miss the old way. I said it in another thread...you could follow the pulse of a season better this way. There was also the incentive for additional games on the schedule, kinda like the bracket-busters thing, where you could have impromptu games and know somebody would air it.

And CAA was hit hard in a lot of ways. I think Davidson skipping by them and the conference getting only Elon and a Charleston program that has a ton of potential, but delivering little since success almost twenty years ago. These were the replacements to the VCU's, GMU's, GSU's, and ODU's...you can't fool anyone that the two pick-up's were equal trades or upgrades for anything.