CSNbbs
Thanks to the AAC... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Thanks to the AAC... (/thread-841810.html)

Pages: 1 2

Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 10:10 AM

...there is still a chance to recover.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-alabama-arizona-state-and-wichita-state-slipping-down-the-bracket/

Wichita State has found life in the American Athletic Conference to be challenging. The Shockers picked up their third league loss at Temple on Thursday night. Temple, by the way, is only 12-10, but has wins over Auburn, Clemson and WSU. Go figure, but I digress. The Shockers tournament resume this season bears some similarities to last year's, when they finished 29-4 and received a No. 10 seed, which is what they deserved. Last year, Wichita lost out of conference to the three best teams they played, all of which were NCAA Tournament teams and did not have a win better than Illinois State, which the Shockers beat two out of three and was an NIT team.

This season, the Shockers are 0-3 in Tier 1 games, plus have a neutral court loss to full-strength Notre Dame, which would likely be a top tier game as well. Unlike last year, Wichita State has eight games in the second quadrant, which is partially due to a better non-conference schedule and partially due to playing in a better league. The Shockers have a win over a team in the bracket -- at home to Houston. They also have a neutral court win over Marquette, which just dropped out of the bracket and may come back. So, while being in the AAC has made it harder to put together a gaudy record, it has afforded Wichita State the chance to build a better tournament resume, and in this case, improve one that is suffering. The Shockers still have two regular season games left with league leader Cincinnati. Games like that were not available to them in the Missouri Valley.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - BigHouston - 02-03-2018 11:06 AM

Shockers were warned this league was no cakewalk.

This is a strong tough league time will tell if Wichita State can remain a top basketball program as they're tested every season by the likes of
Cincinnati, Temple, Houston, UConn, Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, and yes even Tulane now.

Can't overlook no one in this league anymore.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - fishpro1098 - 02-03-2018 11:49 AM

(02-03-2018 11:06 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  Shockers were warned this league was no cakewalk.

This is a strong tough league time will tell if Wichita State can remain a top basketball program as they're tested every season by the likes of
Cincinnati, Temple, Houston, UConn, Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, and yes even Tulane now.

Can't overlook no one in this league anymore.

Yep, tried to tell them that last summer. But in the end it will toughen them up.

Go AAC!

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - thespiritof1976 - 02-03-2018 02:12 PM

A high tides raises all ships.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - mlb - 02-03-2018 02:49 PM

Great article

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - rtaylor - 02-03-2018 03:03 PM

That's odd. It's the direct opposite of what I have read on this board. 07-coffee3

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - BigHouston - 02-03-2018 05:43 PM

I thought this thread would be at least 4-5 pages long by now.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 05:52 PM

This whole forum has been strangely quiet today.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - BigHouston - 02-03-2018 06:15 PM

(02-03-2018 05:52 PM)payday Wrote:  This whole forum has been strangely quiet today.

Is a great CBS sports AAC written article its why I'm shocked this thread is stuck in mud... But than again most everyone are out and about on Saturdays.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - ShockerFever - 02-03-2018 07:42 PM

Who on earth would argue the point of this article?

I don't even think Cold disagrees with this.

So.. nice waste of a firing missile.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - BigHouston - 02-03-2018 08:39 PM

(02-03-2018 07:42 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  Who on earth would argue the point of this article?

The article was not a direct jab at Wichita State... My understanding of the article was a sexy compliment and respect for this league.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - ShockerFever - 02-03-2018 10:16 PM

(02-03-2018 08:39 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 07:42 PM)ShockerFever Wrote:  Who on earth would argue the point of this article?

The article was not a direct jab at Wichita State... My understanding of the article was a sexy compliment and respect for this league.

It's not the article; it's the OP.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - AndShock - 02-03-2018 10:36 PM

I’m on record thanking the AAC and saying we wouldn’t make the tournament if we were still in the MVC. I’m actually curious to see how many games people think we would drop if we were still in the MVC. 0-1 surely? I would put it at 3 minimum. 4 is realistic, 5-6 not out of the question.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 10:45 PM

I think WSU may have swept the season. ISU isn’t the same team. Who would be your competition? Despite the occasional cat calls...I hope WSU rebounds and finishes the season strong.

Cincy fans have experienced many conference titles. Finished short in quite a few too. The titles are great. But in hoops...it’s all about making the big dance. And you get just as excited for it whether you win the conference or not. WSU has some work to do. But they’re capable.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - AndShock - 02-03-2018 10:53 PM

(02-03-2018 10:45 PM)payday Wrote:  I think WSU may have swept the season. ISU isn’t the same team. Who would be your competition? Despite the occasional cat calls...I hope WSU rebounds and finishes the season strong.

Cincy fans have experienced many conference titles. Finished short in quite a few too. The titles are great. But in hoops...it’s all about making the big dance. And you get just as excited for it whether you win the conference or not. WSU has some work to do. But they’re capable.

Loyola is about what ISUr was last year. 4 teams are around 120 in KenPom which is right where Tulsa is. Tulsa went 0-2 against #148 MVC team. SMU went 0-1 against #152 MVC team. That looks like more than 1 loss to me if we were still there.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 11:23 PM

(02-03-2018 10:53 PM)AndShock Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 10:45 PM)payday Wrote:  I think WSU may have swept the season. ISU isn’t the same team. Who would be your competition? Despite the occasional cat calls...I hope WSU rebounds and finishes the season strong.

Loyola is about what ISUr was last year. 4 teams are around 120 in KenPom which is right where Tulsa is. Tulsa went 0-2 against #148 MVC team. SMU went 0-1 against #152 MVC team. That looks like more than 1 loss to me if we were still there.

You put way to much credence in these wins over Tulsa and SMU. Every year teams from the MVC beat teams from superior conferences. Most of the time they don’t make the dance.

The best example I can give you was 2015-16. Northern Iowa beat #1 UNC at home and a couple weeks later they beat #5 Iowa St. Truely amazing. They went on to go 11-7 in the MVC with a season ending RPI of 70 after winning the MVC Tourney. They made the ncaa as an 11 seed. Without that auto bid...they were in the NIT.

Two amazing wins and a conference that dragged them down with awful losses.

By comparison...basically every year an 11-7 Big East team got an at large bid. And with a win over a #1 and #5...it would likely be as a 6-7 seed.

The AAC isn’t the BE...but WSU fans are still in a new world now that they’ve never really experienced before. You can lose in conference...and still get there.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 11:37 PM

Btw...ISU had an amazing season last year. I thought they deserved an at large. Their RPI based on the conference kept them out. Had ISU won that MVC Tourney, the chances are it was WSU that was left out.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 11:42 PM

One more thing. The reason 11-7 power conference teams get at large bids? Neither they nor generally even the bottom of their conference...lose to low mid major teams like S Fla and ECU do. They mostly lose to other power teams OOC and then in conference.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-03-2018 11:59 PM

More with the history lesson. The last time UC lost to a RPI 100+ low major OOC team? 2012 when they lost to Presbyterian. Amazing thing is that’s also the year they made the S16 from the BE. Before that it was in 2006 and 2007 after Huggins was fired and UC was playing with Jucos and walk ons. I don’t recall them ever doing it before that back to 1992. May have. Just don’t feel like researching it. Basically...it just doesn’t happen. The AAC needs everyone in the conference to get here to truely become a top power conference.

RE: Thanks to the AAC... - payday - 02-04-2018 12:48 AM

Why is this in each thread. And who’s wedge?