CSNbbs
Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... (/thread-844627.html)

Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Maize - 03-06-2018 07:16 AM

Is this the coming trend...

Houston just opened spring practice on Monday and star defensive lineman Ed Oliver has already declared for the 2019 NFL draft.

“I do plan on leaving,” Oliver told reporters. “I wish I could stay another year, but it’s my time to go.”

Oliver would have been a top pick if he’d been eligible for the draft this year but will have to settle for the 2019 draft, where’s projected as possibly the No. 1 pick.

Oliver has astonishing athleticism for a 290-pound interior lineman, with the speed to chase down running backs from behind. He won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman in 2017, becoming the first freshman or sophomore to win the award. He was also a finalist for the Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in the nation but lost to NC State’s Bradley Chubb, a likely top-five pick in this year’s draft.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/03/05/houston-ed-oliver-nfl-draft-2019

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Gamecock - 03-06-2018 10:45 AM

Not a big deal honestly.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - JHS55 - 03-06-2018 10:53 AM

Well they all have to go a so point, glad houston had big Ed’s services for three years

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Attackcoog - 03-06-2018 11:22 AM

(03-06-2018 07:16 AM)Maize Wrote:  Is this the coming trend...

Houston just opened spring practice on Monday and star defensive lineman Ed Oliver has already declared for the 2019 NFL draft.

“I do plan on leaving,” Oliver told reporters. “I wish I could stay another year, but it’s my time to go.”

Oliver would have been a top pick if he’d been eligible for the draft this year but will have to settle for the 2019 draft, where’s projected as possibly the No. 1 pick.

Oliver has astonishing athleticism for a 290-pound interior lineman, with the speed to chase down running backs from behind. He won the Outland Trophy as the nation’s top interior lineman in 2017, becoming the first freshman or sophomore to win the award. He was also a finalist for the Nagurski Award as the top defensive player in the nation but lost to NC State’s Bradley Chubb, a likely top-five pick in this year’s draft.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/03/05/houston-ed-oliver-nfl-draft-2019

He would have possibly gone #1 this year had he been available. Next year, he is also a possible #1 overall pick. Any player in that position (who has a brain) is leaving college to go pro as soon as possible.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - TrojanCampaign - 03-06-2018 12:03 PM

Is having a direction in your life a bad thing? If this were someone's son who were in their junior year and declared "I'm going to be a Doctor" we would praise him.

Ed Oliver has worked very hard to get to where he is. And he has proven through hard work that he is destined for greatness.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Pervis_Griffith - 03-06-2018 12:13 PM

The truly controversial thing would be if, at the same time, he declared he was redshirting this year, and preparing for the combine.

Why risk injury, or concussion stuff, for one more year, when you'd still be drafted in the top 5 next spring even after sitting out a full season?

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - CliftonAve - 03-06-2018 12:21 PM

It makes complete sense to leave. Not only because of the money, but Oliver is limiting the wear and tear on his body by one year at the end of his playing days.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - tcufrog86 - 03-06-2018 12:27 PM

(03-06-2018 12:03 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Is having a direction in your life a bad thing? If this were someone's son who were in their junior year and declared "I'm going to be a Doctor" we would praise him.

Ed Oliver has worked very hard to get to where he is. And he has proven through hard work that he is destined for greatness.

And is also helps the coaching staff in planning for recruiting as they have a better idea on scholarship count and positional needs. Certainly i'm sure the assumption with a player like Oliver is that he would leave early, but the openness isn't a bad thing.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - C2__ - 03-06-2018 01:14 PM

Weird timing for an announcement. Why not wait to announce it? What if he gets injured or has a really bad season next year?

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - quo vadis - 03-06-2018 01:19 PM

(03-06-2018 01:14 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Weird timing for an announcement. Why not wait to announce it? What he gets injured or has a really bad season next year?

Timing is actually good for Houston. As "TCUFrog" says, your staff now knows he's gone for sure, so can plan accordingly, including for recruiting.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - Kaplony - 03-06-2018 01:43 PM

(03-06-2018 12:27 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 12:03 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Is having a direction in your life a bad thing? If this were someone's son who were in their junior year and declared "I'm going to be a Doctor" we would praise him.

And is also helps the coaching staff in planning for recruiting as they have a better idea on scholarship count and positional needs. Certainly i'm sure the assumption with a player like Oliver is that he would leave early, but the openness isn't a bad thing.

This! Especially with the new early signing period. As we saw it became the primary signing day for most schools with the normal signing day serving more as a late period. Best to be able to use the fact that a recruit coming in doesn't have to worry about sitting behind an All-American and Outland Trophy winner.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - TrojanCampaign - 03-06-2018 01:52 PM

Furthermore, by announcing this early he instantly creates a massive hype machine for himself. He is already projected to be one of the top of not the best picks in his position.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - JHS55 - 03-06-2018 02:47 PM

I think big ed has a younger brother ?, mybe he’ll stay in Houston

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - C2__ - 03-06-2018 03:02 PM

(03-06-2018 01:19 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-06-2018 01:14 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Weird timing for an announcement. Why not wait to announce it? What he gets injured or has a really bad season next year?

Timing is actually good for Houston. As "TCUFrog" says, your staff now knows he's gone for sure, so can plan accordingly, including for recruiting.

It's great for Houston but not for him.

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - arkstfan - 03-06-2018 03:19 PM

So he's giving the NFL a promise ring?

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - JHS55 - 03-06-2018 03:44 PM

A ring ?, lol well if big ed somehow becomes a Texan then the d line has jj watt, clowny and Oliver !, there just might be a ring in there with deshaun Watson at qb and a new coach

RE: Future here for College Football..Ed Oliver already declares for the 2019 Draft... - BigHouston - 03-06-2018 11:41 PM

(03-06-2018 03:44 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  A ring ?, lol well if big ed somehow becomes a Texan then the d line has jj watt, clowny and Oliver !, there just might be a ring in there with deshaun Watson at qb and a new coach

It would be so freaking awesome if the Texans could some how landed Oliver... But even if the Texans are unable to snatch him up I'm following Oliver anywhere his services are bought... Heck of a player no question.