CSNbbs
Inclusion Riders? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Inclusion Riders? (/thread-844844.html)

Inclusion Riders? - PirateTreasureNC - 03-07-2018 11:33 PM

http://www.darkhorizons.com/jordan-puts-inclusion-rider-on-new-films/

Never heard of this in any cinematic news circles I read till I saw this article but if you read those percentages that sure seems like a quota system and not Equal Opportunity Employment. I wonder how those percentages would hold up as far as discrimination law suits go.

Quote:

"The comment has sparked interest and support for the term, a contractual clause to enforce equitable casting and hiring, with financial penalties for failure to comply.

Dr Stacy Smith, the founder of the USC’s Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, and Washington lawyer Kalpana Kotagal came up with inclusion riders which are being seen as a solution to get more under-represented demographics in front of and behind the camera on film sets.

The aim would be to have film casts and crews better reflecting the actual demographics of society – namely a 50% men/50% women split, 40% being people of colour, 20% being people with some sort of disability and around 5% being of LGBTQ status. "

RE: Inclusion Riders? - banker - 03-08-2018 01:00 AM

Can't wait till the NBA and NFL are forced to be 60% white and 50% female. We also need to do something about the over representation of Hispanics in baseball. Everything needs to be based on the appropriate ratios.

Yeah liberal fringe.

RE: Inclusion Riders? - fsquid - 03-08-2018 02:28 AM

If you are powerful enough you can put these riders in your contract and the studios will accept them. If you are not enough of a draw, well they will laugh you off on those riders.

RE: Inclusion Riders? - Fort Bend Owl - 03-08-2018 08:20 AM

The best actress for Sunday's Oscars- Frances mcdormand- closed out her acceptance speech with those two words and I had no idea what she meant. Neither did the rest of the country. I saw Twitter was later trending inclusion writers.

RE: Inclusion Riders? - NIUAlum90 - 03-08-2018 08:29 AM

Didn't the casting for Born on the 4th of July satisfy this requirement?

Also, Forest Gump, Avatar, etc.

RE: Inclusion Riders? - bullet - 03-08-2018 08:30 AM

(03-07-2018 11:33 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/jordan-puts-inclusion-rider-on-new-films/

Never heard of this in any cinematic news circles I read till I saw this article but if you read those percentages that sure seems like a quota system and not Equal Opportunity Employment. I wonder how those percentages would hold up as far as discrimination law suits go.

Quote:

"The comment has sparked interest and support for the term, a contractual clause to enforce equitable casting and hiring, with financial penalties for failure to comply.

Dr Stacy Smith, the founder of the USC’s Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, and Washington lawyer Kalpana Kotagal came up with inclusion riders which are being seen as a solution to get more under-represented demographics in front of and behind the camera on film sets.

The aim would be to have film casts and crews better reflecting the actual demographics of society – namely a 50% men/50% women split, 40% being people of colour, 20% being people with some sort of disability and around 5% being of LGBTQ status. "

So does that mean Hollywood will have to hire fewer LGBTQ people?
Since mental disability is a form of disability, it means they will have to higher fewer with disabilities as well.

RE: Inclusion Riders? - NIUAlum90 - 03-08-2018 08:31 AM

(03-08-2018 08:29 AM)NIUAlum90 Wrote:  Didn't the casting for Born on the 4th of July satisfy this requirement?

Also, Forest Gump, Avatar, etc.

Forgot Rain Man, Atlantic City, etc. etc. etc.

The King and I....

RE: Inclusion Riders? - BadgerMJ - 03-08-2018 08:43 AM

(03-07-2018 11:33 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  http://www.darkhorizons.com/jordan-puts-inclusion-rider-on-new-films/

Quote:

Should we then assume that in the spirit of "inclusiveness", that Conservatives and Republicans, being under-represented in Hollywood, will now be given 45-50% of those jobs as well since "demographics" would indicate that % is about right in our society?

Love to find out just where this ends. How many fat people will need to be hired? Education level count? How about the unemployed? Military vets?

Or maybe, just maybe, "inclusiveness" only matters if it's the right groups being included.

I won't hold my breath......