CSNbbs
Huge day for the AAC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Huge day for the AAC (/thread-845156.html)

Pages: 1 2

Huge day for the AAC - Moody Magic - 03-10-2018 06:23 PM

Two games on CBS played at a major conference level featuring three teams that can go deep in the NCAA tourney. Well done Cincy, Houston, WSU and Memphis. SMU will bounce back next season and UConn is on its way to getting back to being UConn. Everyone knows Temple and Tulsa are strong programs. This conference has arrived in hoops. 04-cheers

RE: Huge day for the AAC - Wheatshock - 03-10-2018 06:26 PM

(03-10-2018 06:23 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  Two games on CBS played at a major conference level featuring three teams that can go deep in the NCAA tourney. Well done Cincy, Houston, WSU and Memphis. SMU will bounce back next season and UConn is on its way to getting back to being UConn. Everyone knows Temple and Tulsa are strong programs. This conference has arrived in hoops. 04-cheers

Wish the outcome today was a little different but it has been a fun 1st year. 04-cheers

RE: Huge day for the AAC - Attackcoog - 03-10-2018 08:15 PM

Pretty shrewd move by Aresco to get the AAC last 3 tournament games in the vacated Big10 slots. It’s a one time thing, but the AAC put on a good show—something that should help come TV contract negotiation time.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - shock - 03-11-2018 12:44 AM

(03-10-2018 06:23 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  Two games on CBS played at a major conference level featuring three teams that can go deep in the NCAA tourney. Well done Cincy, Houston, WSU and Memphis. SMU will bounce back next season and UConn is on its way to getting back to being UConn. Everyone knows Temple and Tulsa are strong programs. This conference has arrived in hoops. 04-cheers

If UCONN can shed themselves of their professor and Memphis can hire their dream coach, what does this conference look like in 5 years?

RE: Huge day for the AAC - BigHouston - 03-11-2018 12:52 AM

(03-10-2018 08:15 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Pretty shrewd move by Aresco to get the AAC last 3 tournament games in the vacated Big10 slots. It’s a one time thing, but the AAC put on a good show—something that should help come TV contract negotiation time.

I too agree with today's AAC performance... Jim Nantz and co did a phenomenal job pumping up the AAC and programs involved in this tournament.

The only thing I'm disappointed with was the huge arena... Don't get me wrong Amway Center is a very nice facility but a bit to large for the AAC right now, imo.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 12:57 AM

(03-11-2018 12:52 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(03-10-2018 08:15 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Pretty shrewd move by Aresco to get the AAC last 3 tournament games in the vacated Big10 slots. It’s a one time thing, but the AAC put on a good show—something that should help come TV contract negotiation time.

I too agree with today's AAC performance... Jim Nantz and co did a phenomenal job pumping up the AAC and programs involved in this tournament.

The only thing I'm disappointed with was the huge arena... Don't get me wrong Amway Center is a very nice facility but a bit to large for the AAC right now, imo.

The Southland tournament had twice as many fans in the stands as the AAC :/ Even CUSA put us to shame with their AAU-style curtain partition court. Someone mentioned giving the tournament to the previous conference champ and I think that would work well. Or even Atlanta, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, would be a central location in a destination city that I would go to.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - shocker3 - 03-11-2018 02:15 AM

(03-11-2018 12:57 AM)zdiddy513 Wrote:  

The Southland tournament had twice as many fans in the stands as the AAC :/ Even CUSA put us to shame with their AAU-style curtain partition court. Someone mentioned giving the tournament to the previous conference champ and I think that would work well. Or even Atlanta, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, would be a central location in a destination city that I would go to.

Put it in OKC or Tulsa and you would have 10,000 Shocker fans alone in the stands.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 02:19 AM

(03-11-2018 02:15 AM)shocker3 Wrote:  

Put it in OKC or Tulsa and you would have 10,000 Shocker fans alone in the stands.

I'd rather that then having an empty arena on national TV. It would be unfair to have it there every year I think but anything is better than the last few years. If it were in Cincinnati/Indianapolis or even Chicago, I'm sure our fans would represent well. It's just embarrassing to have less than 5k fans in the arena when we tout ourselves as P6, and mid-majors are outdrawing us at their tourneys.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - mikeinoki - 03-11-2018 02:31 AM

This league will get better and better. Some of our new WSU friends did not find the romp they were expecting, but this will make them stronger. There may even be hope for ECU. A wise king once said, "Iron by iron is sharpened, And a man sharpens the face of his friend."

RE: Huge day for the AAC - Attackcoog - 03-11-2018 02:45 AM

lol. Your insane. CUSA only had a handful of people at most of the games I saw. The side seating was just a small set of temporary bleachers.

I think Ft Worth is going to work well for the AAC. Thats reasonable driving distance for SMU, Wichita, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis. Its in a metroplex of 7 million---so there should be a few walk up fans. Then add in what 100-200 from the eastern schools that are far away---thats another 600-1200. I think Ft Worth is going to give us the atmosphere we really need. Frankly, I think Dickies Arena at 13.3K is still too big--I'd rather have something in the 8-10K size range---but if we can get 5-8K at most games we will have a good solid atmosphere. If it works like I think--that will likely be the primary home for the tournament.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 02:50 AM

(03-11-2018 02:45 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

lol. Your insane.

I think Ft Worth is going to work well for the AAC. Thats reasonable driving distance for SMU, Wichita, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis. Its in a metroplex of 7 million---so there should be a few walk up fans. Then add in what 100-200 from the eastern schools that are far away---thats another 600-1200. I think Ft Worth is going to give us the atmosphere we really need. Frankly, I think 14K is too big--I'd rather have something in the 8-10K size range---but if we can get 5-8K at most games we will have a good solid atmosphere.

How am I insane? The CUSA game tonight was filled to capacity (albeit probably 2k) and that looks a lot better on TV than 4k in a 16k arena. It's not fair to Cincy or UCONN (the historical powers) to have the tournament in Texas every year. I am terrified of flying lol. It would be nice to have an extra incentive to winning the conference by hosting the tourney the following year. Why should Wichita, SMU and Houston be given a competitive advantage every single year when we could fill an arena in a city nearby?

RE: Huge day for the AAC - Attackcoog - 03-11-2018 02:59 AM

(03-11-2018 02:50 AM)zdiddy513 Wrote:  

lol. Your insane.

I think Ft Worth is going to work well for the AAC. Thats reasonable driving distance for SMU, Wichita, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, and Memphis. Its in a metroplex of 7 million---so there should be a few walk up fans. Then add in what 100-200 from the eastern schools that are far away---thats another 600-1200. I think Ft Worth is going to give us the atmosphere we really need. Frankly, I think 14K is too big--I'd rather have something in the 8-10K size range---but if we can get 5-8K at most games we will have a good solid atmosphere.

How am I insane? It's not fair to Cincy or UCONN (the historical powers) to have the tournament in Texas every year. I am terrified of flying lol. It would be nice to have an extra incentive to winning the conference by hosting the tourney the following year. Why should Wichita, SMU and Houston be given a competitive advantage every single year when we could fill an arena in a city nearby?

lol...You had it in NY every year when it was the Big East. Hell---its never been west of Memphis in the first 5 years of the AAC. Its been essentially in the east every single year and attendance has pretty much sucked.

All Im saying is if it sells well in Dallas---then we'd be dumb to to move it from there. Thats why we leave the women's tournament in the Mohegan--its doing well at that location. 04-cheers

RE: Huge day for the AAC - thespiritof1976 - 03-11-2018 03:01 AM

C-DOA is the absolute laughing stock of the sports world the past week.

That said, I'm glad Marsha is stuck there.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 03:09 AM

(03-11-2018 02:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 12:52 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  I too agree with today's AAC performance... Jim Nantz and co did a phenomenal job pumping up the AAC and programs involved in this tournament.

lol. Your insane.

How am I insane? It's not fair to Cincy or UCONN (the historical powers) to have the tournament in Texas every year. I am terrified of flying lol. It would be nice to have an extra incentive to winning the conference by hosting the tourney the following year. Why should Wichita, SMU and Houston be given a competitive advantage every single year when we could fill an arena in a city nearby?

lol...You had it in NY every year when it was the Big East. Hell---its never been west of Memphis in the first 5 years of the AAC. Its been essentially in the east every single year and attendance has pretty much sucked.

All Im saying is if it sells well in Dallas---then we'd be dumb to to move it from there. Thats why we leave the women's tournament in the Mohegan--its doing well at that location. 04-cheers

NYC is ~9 hours from here and we had a decent contingency there. And it was the Big East so it was packed regardless. Dallas/FW is ~15 hour drive. Noone is making that drive or even flying to an inconsequential tournament from here.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - Agust - 03-11-2018 03:17 AM

in a recent interview with mike aresco one of his major factors of moving the tournament to dallas was because its location to nearby teams and its hope that it will draw bigger wsu fans.

im pretty sure he notices the eyesore that is on tv and the move to dallas only helps put people in the stand. it will be great moving forward.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 03:21 AM

(03-11-2018 03:17 AM)Agust Wrote:  in a recent interview with mike aresco one of his major factors of moving the tournament to dallas was because its location to nearby teams and its hope that it will draw bigger wsu fans.

im pretty sure he notices the eyesore that is on tv and the move to dallas only helps put people in the stand. it will be great moving forward.

That's fine. I'd rather it be filled with opposing team fans than desolate on national TV like it has been. But this league already has unbalanced scheduling and to add an unfair tournament location just makes the championships mean that much less.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - geef - 03-11-2018 07:22 AM

(03-11-2018 03:09 AM)zdiddy513 Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 12:57 AM)zdiddy513 Wrote:  The Southland tournament had twice as many fans in the stands as the AAC :/ Even CUSA put us to shame with their AAU-style curtain partition court. Someone mentioned giving the tournament to the previous conference champ and I think that would work well. Or even Atlanta, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, would be a central location in a destination city that I would go to.

lol. Your insane.

NYC is ~9 hours from here and we had a decent contingency there. And it was the Big East so it was packed regardless. Dallas/FW is ~15 hour drive. Noone is making that drive or even flying to an inconsequential tournament from here.

So, you base your analysis on the fact that you're afraid of flying and a few hundred fans in a curtained, partitioned court looks good? Sounds reasonable.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - tigerjeb - 03-11-2018 07:46 AM

with Memphis about to make a change, the tournament should be just fine next year in FedExForum and I'm looking forward to 2020 in Ft Worth - that's a great location and beautiful arena for a tournament - we did well to lock that location up for 3 years

RE: Huge day for the AAC - zdiddy513 - 03-11-2018 07:50 AM

(03-11-2018 07:22 AM)geef Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 02:45 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  lol. Your insane.

So, you base your analysis on the fact that you're afraid of flying and a few hundred fans in a curtained, partitioned court looks good? Sounds reasonable.

Yes it's very reasonable.

RE: Huge day for the AAC - rosewater - 03-11-2018 08:00 AM

(03-11-2018 07:22 AM)geef Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 02:45 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  lol. Your insane.

Other than the flying thing, I think his rationale is strong. We need the tournament in a place where the people will show up, and fair to all the teams. Put it in Cincinnati and it is a sell out. Put it in Wichita and it is a sell out. Put it at Smu and it is a sell out. Orlando is not going to produce. Memphis has not produced. USF, ECU, Houston and Tulane will not produce. Play on the campus of teams that have crowds.