CSNbbs
Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Should CUSA even have a tournament? (/thread-845238.html)

Pages: 1 2

Should CUSA even have a tournament? - monarx - 03-11-2018 01:51 PM

Seriously.

Fans complain about it. Its difficult for most of our fan bases to get to. Nobody outside of CUSA cares, and not many inside CUSA seem to care. It gets lousy TV exposure. It looks bad on TV. It makes the regular season meaningless. It makes it easy for a team other than our best one to represent us in the tournament. It makes no money.

If the reasons for having a tournament are to bring national exposure to the conference, make money for the conference and provide a fun event for many thousands of conference fans this is a failure on every level.

So the question remains... should CUSA even have a tournament at all?

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Niner National - 03-11-2018 01:53 PM

It is a double edged sword. The tournament is also the only way we may get a 2nd bid most years. If MT waited until the final to **** the bed, we'd be a two bid conference. Without a tournament, we would have only been assured one.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - stinkfist - 03-11-2018 02:12 PM

(03-11-2018 01:53 PM)Niner National Wrote:  It is a double edged sword. The tournament is also the only way we may get a 2nd bid most years. If MT waited until the final to **** the bed, we'd be a two bid conference. Without a tournament, we would have only been assured one.

every bit of ^^^^^^^

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - shiftyeagle - 03-11-2018 02:15 PM

Conference tournaments are great because of the competition but they're kind of detrimental to anyone not in the P5.

With no conference tourney, MTSU, who had the best regular season in the conference (by far), gets a bid. Period. Deservedly so. All the conference tourney did for them was probably seal the deal on NOT receiving a bid. One game and....bam. Done.

Does Marshall deserve an NCAA bid over MTSU? Probably not. But that's how it works. Not a jab at Marshall....they are a good team who played a great tournament. But their body of work simply isn't close to MTSU's. That being said, I think Marshall is going to give a team some big time problems in the first round.

Seems like every year we see a 28-6 (ish) team get left out because they didn't win their conference tournament. Instead some 16-16 team who caught fire for a week makes the tournament and gets promptly demolished in the first round.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Cardiff - 03-11-2018 02:21 PM

Right now, of course, I think conference tournaments are a wonderful idea. But check next year and maybe I’ll change my mind.

Honest question: does the conference make any money on these things? If not, what is the cost — the real, out-of-pocket expenses — to the league? I’d want to have that information before deciding whether to eliminate it.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - stinkfist - 03-11-2018 02:24 PM

(03-11-2018 02:15 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Conference tournaments are great because of the competition but they're kind of detrimental to anyone not in the P5.

With no conference tourney, MTSU, who had the best regular season in the conference (by far), gets a bid. Period. Deservedly so. All the conference tourney did for them was probably seal the deal on NOT receiving a bid. One game and....bam. Done.

Does Marshall deserve an NCAA bid over MTSU? Probably not. But that's how it works. Not a jab at Marshall....they are a good team who played a great tournament. But their body of work simply isn't close to MTSU's. That being said, I think Marshall is going to give a team some big time problems in the first round.

Seems like every year we see a 28-6 (ish) team get left out because they didn't win their conference tournament. Instead some 16-16 team who caught fire for a week makes the tournament and gets promptly demolished in the first round.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using CSNbbs mobile app

remind me who MT knocked off in the first rd. last year......was it the 2 or the 3 seed.....

if they don't get in, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.....

however, to eliminate the possibility of a 2 bid option is just stupid....

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - stinkfist - 03-11-2018 02:26 PM

(03-11-2018 02:21 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  Right now, of course, I think conference tournaments are a wonderful idea. But check next year and maybe I’ll change my mind.

Honest question: does the conference make any money on these things? If not, what is the cost — the real, out-of-pocket expenses — to the league? I’d want to have that information before deciding whether to eliminate it.

apparently, it's least 1M less than if it would have been held in El Paso.....

I have no clue why that matters relative to the thread....

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Theflash - 03-11-2018 03:08 PM

This theory is true for every conference other than the P5, and about 3 more. That’s what it’s about tho. Win and you’re in.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - UTEPDallas - 03-11-2018 03:33 PM

We can all blame C-USA all we want but the biggest issue here is why a conference that has UTEP, UAB, Western Kentucky, Charlotte and Old Dominion plus upcoming programs such as Middle Tennessee and Louisiana Tech is a one bid league. This has been going on since the 2.0 days where it was just Memphis going to the tourney while #2 was going to the NIT. The venue is irrelevant at this point. The outcome is still the same. Why a basketball school like UTEP hasn’t been to the tourney since 2010? That’s eight years. It starts with the President and ADs who by the way have the commissioner employed. Judy might be part of the problem but she’s just one of the symptoms, not the disease.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - banker - 03-11-2018 03:54 PM

The way I look at conference tournaments (at least for conferences like ours) is that the NCAA tournament started on Thursday. Win 9-10 straight and you are the national champ, 7-8 and you're in the Final 4.

The problem with no conference tournament is that the team with the best regular season record could very well not be the best team in the middle of March. Say King would have been injured for 6 weeks back in January and early February and Middle would have gone 10-8 in conference, but not lost a game since he returned to the line up. Or what if ODU had dominated all year but lost 2 starters to knee injuries the last game of the regular season?

As a conference like ours, where you are getting very limited bids, you should want the team that is playing best at the moment in the tournament. No matter how you look at it, Marshall did beat the #1, #3, and #5 best regular season teams over its last 4 games, so we ended up with the hottest team going to the tournament. Not necessarily the best, but the best right now.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Cyniclone - 03-11-2018 03:56 PM

My idea, which I've held for a while and will probably never see the light of day for many reasons, is to take the top four or five teams in the conference and have them play a round-robin at a neutral site instead of a tournament there. Best record gets the auto bid, with tiebreakers as needed. That way everyone gets three to four games against better RPI teams, which increases their chances at an NCAA or NIT bid. And the dropoff in attendance would probably not be that great, since the teams that don't make it generally don't have good support anyway (or if they did, they wouldn't bother going to a tournament in which they're not likely to make noise).

If Middle Tennessee, WKU, ODU and Marshall got to play three games against each other as part of the CUSA postseason, the chances of two NCAA and two NIT teams would be a lot better, I think.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - mturn017 - 03-11-2018 04:00 PM

I don't want to see an NCAA bid ever decided based on tiebreaker rules.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Fort Bend Owl - 03-11-2018 04:51 PM

Does anyone not have a tournament anymore? The Ivy and Pac-10 used to not have one but don't they both have them now?

I almost wonder if we should do what the SWAC does now - top 8 make it and you play the quarterfinals on campus at the 4 top seeds. Then you have a pre-determined site for the semifinals and championship game.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - monarx - 03-11-2018 05:07 PM

(03-11-2018 04:51 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Does anyone not have a tournament anymore? The Ivy and Pac-10 used to not have one but don't they both have them now?

I almost wonder if we should do what the SWAC does now - top 8 make it and you play the quarterfinals on campus at the 4 top seeds. Then you have a pre-determined site for the semifinals and championship game.

Sounds good to me.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - Cyniclone - 03-11-2018 05:08 PM

(03-11-2018 04:00 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I don't want to see an NCAA bid ever decided based on tiebreaker rules.

Or play a tiebreaker game then. There should be a way to do this, and CUSA is the right conference to do experimental wacky **** like this. And not like "put eight courts in a dome and have everyone play at the same time" experimental, which might be what happens in 2020.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - topper1296 - 03-11-2018 05:11 PM

All I know is that the regular season doesn't mean a thing in a one bid league.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - TechRocks - 03-11-2018 06:50 PM

Not a fan of a post-season conference tourney to see who gets to go dancing. And if the conference is so lousy that we have to hope someone knocks off a sure thing so we get two bids, then that's pretty sad, no?

MTSU deserves to be playing in the NCAA tournament, regardless of what happened at the very end of the year. Top 25 late in the year for christ's sake.

Send your best team, period. We all know that the post-season tourney champ often is not that team.

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - mturn017 - 03-11-2018 06:56 PM

(03-11-2018 05:08 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 04:00 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I don't want to see an NCAA bid ever decided based on tiebreaker rules.

Or play a tiebreaker game then. There should be a way to do this, and CUSA is the right conference to do experimental wacky **** like this. And not like "put eight courts in a dome and have everyone play at the same time" experimental, which might be what happens in 2020.

What about a three way tie? It's March. It's tournament time. I enjoyed watching the games this week regardless of the venue and regardless if I was one of only a couple thousand that watched

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - mturn017 - 03-11-2018 07:10 PM

(03-11-2018 06:50 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  Not a fan of a post-season conference tourney to see who gets to go dancing. And if the conference is so lousy that we have to hope someone knocks off a sure thing so we get two bids, then that's pretty sad, no?

MTSU deserves to be playing in the NCAA tournament, regardless of what happened at the very end of the year. Top 25 late in the year for christ's sake.

Send your best team, period. We all know that the post-season tourney champ often is not that team.

A one game advantage in a 18 game conference schedule doesn't always mean a team is clearly better especially when we play uneven schedules. Giving top teams the advantage of the top seeds and playing it out with everything on the line seems fair to me. Was MT the best team this year? Mostly, were they at the end of the season? I don't think so. Sucks for them, we've been there. But I never thought the tourney format was unfai. Could you imagine the complaining and rightfully so if ODU had ended with a one game advantage having played an easier conference schedule and got the bid?

RE: Should CUSA even have a tournament? - TechRocks - 03-11-2018 07:13 PM

Then in anticipation of a tiebreaker, just end the regular season early enough that, if needed, a single game can be played at one of the schools via coin flip. Winner takes all. What's wrong with that?