CSNbbs
Question for my Shocker Friends.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Question for my Shocker Friends.... (/thread-846651.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Question for my Shocker Friends.... - AABearcat - 03-25-2018 01:15 PM

I’m sure it has been discussed here but what is the likelihood of the Shock bringing back football? Is Cessna a viable option or would another stadium be needed? I thought I read somewhere that Cessna would need an overhaul to bring it up to code for disabled folks.

With the conference alignment talk below it brings back my desire for a full membership, all sports conference. Any chance of football at WSU?

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-25-2018 01:22 PM

It has been looked at extensively and will not happen. Cessna would need to be razed or a stadium built elsewhere. I think start up was around $100 million for stadium, coach, and other expenses. Long story short, not gonna happen. We value basketball too much.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - nafstrops - 03-25-2018 01:35 PM

(03-25-2018 01:22 PM)shock Wrote:  It has been looked at extensively and will not happen. Cessna would need to be razed or a stadium built elsewhere. I think start up was around $100 million for stadium, coach, and other expenses. Long story short, not gonna happen. We value basketball too much.

This is all you need to know.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - AndShock - 03-25-2018 02:08 PM

Should be noted that our lack of a football program is proof that the “Koch Brothers” don’t bankroll Wichita State Athletics. They could start a top tier football program with the equivalent of throwing a penny in a wishing well.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-25-2018 02:08 PM

If we are going to do it, the window is closing quickly to do it right. Bill Parcells is 76, and he would most certainly be the coach or on staff in some capacity.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-25-2018 02:09 PM

(03-25-2018 02:08 PM)AndShock Wrote:  Should be noted that our lack of a football program is proof that the “Koch Brothers” don’t bankroll Wichita State Athletics. They could start a top tier football program with the equivalent of throwing a penny in a wishing well.

Holy ****. Damn

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - Wheatshock - 03-25-2018 07:35 PM

Another consideration is that Kansas is not exactly a populous state and already has two D1 programs. Outside of the Manhattan Miracle Man neither have had much success. WSU would be up a creek without a paddle trying to compete in recruiting.

I think the only way WSU starts a program is if we're about to get left out of some sort of split off from the NCAA and starting a program would somehow guarantee our inclusion.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - grapes - 03-25-2018 07:39 PM

Football is so fun I feel bad for you guys.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - HuskyU - 03-25-2018 07:40 PM

(03-25-2018 07:39 PM)grapes Wrote:  Good Football is so fun I feel bad for you guys.

FIFY 03-banghead

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - Wheatshock - 03-25-2018 07:51 PM

(03-25-2018 07:39 PM)grapes Wrote:  Football is so fun I feel bad for you guys.

Its not like most of us don't enjoy or follow football. Its just that we've had to find someone else to root for. I've actually never known WSU football as I was born the year after the program was ended so I grew up a fan of K-State.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-26-2018 12:43 AM

I stick with the Chiefs. Can’t stand college football. It’s got too wide of a skill range.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - AABearcat - 03-26-2018 06:38 AM

Great comments and thanks for the insights. I know it's an expensive venture starting a football program. I was thinking about WSU and parallels to ODU, mainly they both had existing stadiums. ODU's wasn't up to code either. ODU is in the heart of Virgina's hotbed for football players so that's an advantage. As you guys know, a few schools are trying to elevate their overall profile by adding football.

It's great WSU places such a high importance on basketball, but do any of you guys think it might be holding WSU back from a perception national standpoint by not offering football? I know you don't want to just throw money at the thing to say you have football and maybe WSU is in a spot $$$ where football is a non-factor. It just seems schools are moving toward adding football or investing more in football to generate more $$$ for the school. When the AAC added you guys I was hopefully that maybe WSU was looking to start football again and move to D-1 in a few years (like ODU).

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-26-2018 11:22 AM

(03-26-2018 06:38 AM)AABearcat Wrote:  It's great WSU places such a high importance on basketball, but do any of you guys think it might be holding WSU back from a perception national standpoint by not offering football?
No. We got a four seed this year with a bad team and it’s because of conference affiliation. AAC fixed national perception.

Quote: I know you don't want to just throw money at the thing to say you have football and maybe WSU is in a spot $$$ where football is a non-factor. It just seems schools are moving toward adding football or investing more in football to generate more $$$ for the school. When the AAC added you guys I was hopefully that maybe WSU was looking to start football again and move to D-1 in a few years (like ODU).

WSU is in a position with donors that they don’t need to generate any money with risks such as football. They have the backing academically of the collective aviation industry, just acquired a tech campus, and are working on an innovation campus that sounds like Silicon Midwest. All without the drain of college football. As mentioned above, if it made sense revenue wise as a sound investment, Koch would pull the trigger. The community has shown a willingness to do so with Gregg Marshall. He has the contract with the school worth $3.5million+, and an endorsement deal in the aviation industry. The guy has to make $6 million+ because the community sees him as a worthy investment. If they saw the same opportunity with football, we would have football. It’s not there.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - AABearcat - 03-26-2018 11:58 AM

(03-26-2018 11:22 AM)shock Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 06:38 AM)AABearcat Wrote:  It's great WSU places such a high importance on basketball, but do any of you guys think it might be holding WSU back from a perception national standpoint by not offering football?
No. We got a four seed this year with a bad team and it’s because of conference affiliation. AAC fixed national perception.

Quote: I know you don't want to just throw money at the thing to say you have football and maybe WSU is in a spot $$$ where football is a non-factor. It just seems schools are moving toward adding football or investing more in football to generate more $$$ for the school. When the AAC added you guys I was hopefully that maybe WSU was looking to start football again and move to D-1 in a few years (like ODU).

WSU is in a position with donors that they don’t need to generate any money with risks such as football. They have the backing academically of the collective aviation industry, just acquired a tech campus, and are working on an innovation campus that sounds like Silicon Midwest. All without the drain of college football. As mentioned above, if it made sense revenue wise as a sound investment, Koch would pull the trigger. The community has shown a willingness to do so with Gregg Marshall. He has the contract with the school worth $3.5million+, and an endorsement deal in the aviation industry. The guy has to make $6 million+ because the community sees him as a worthy investment. If they saw the same opportunity with football, we would have football. It’s not there.

Fair enough. Each situation is different and sounds like WSU's is unique. I hate ND, but when you look at their history, their football program helped take them from an unaccredited college to national prominence. PSU went from a cow school in the middle of nowhere PA to national prominence. VT has improved their academic standing nationally in the last 25 years, a time frame that coincides with their rise in football visibility.

To your point, it's expensive and in WSU's case not necessary, but I can't imagine not having UC football in the fall, even if we have struggled as of late.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - AndShock - 03-26-2018 12:06 PM

I honestly don’t think WSU could support football. K-State can do it because of aforementioned Miracle Man and every alum in a 5 state radius travels multiple hours for the home games including all of Western Kansas. The population of Wichita might be enough to get good attendance for some games but we’re never going to have 12 hour tailgate sessions like traditional college football programs have. It’s just not the makeup of our fanbase or city.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - C0|db|00ded - 03-26-2018 12:23 PM

(03-26-2018 11:58 AM)AABearcat Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 11:22 AM)shock Wrote:  

Fair enough. Each situation is different and sounds like WSU's is unique. I hate ND, but when you look at their history, their football program helped take them from an unaccredited college to national prominence. PSU went from a cow school in the middle of nowhere PA to national prominence. VT has improved their academic standing nationally in the last 25 years, a time frame that coincides with their rise in football visibility.

To your point, it's expensive and in WSU's case not necessary, but I can't imagine not having UC football in the fall, even if we have struggled as of late.

We absolutely should restart football no question. It adds to the national reputation of a university and provides important "traditional" college experiences unobtainable without. We would need a sizable endowment followed by a strong commitment to buy season tickets. If we could average 30k per game (FBS) it would be sustainable. Of course the end result would have to be admittance into the AAC. Wichita State doesn't play D2 anything. The community simply will not support it.

This is my opinion and I am not a football fan.

T

...03-cool

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - C0|db|00ded - 03-26-2018 12:41 PM

(03-26-2018 12:06 PM)AndShock Wrote:  I honestly don’t think WSU could support football. K-State can do it because of aforementioned Miracle Man and every alum in a 5 state radius travels multiple hours for the home games including all of Western Kansas. The population of Wichita might be enough to get good attendance for some games but we’re never going to have 12 hour tailgate sessions like traditional college football programs have. It’s just not the makeup of our fanbase or city.

12 hour tailgate sessions come from rabid fanbases. Shocker Nation would be considered a rabid fanbase travelling better for basketball than any other program in our league. In fact, our travelling fanbase for baseball is absolutely ridiculous (when we don't suck). I can't tell you how many times I've listened to road games over the years and it sounded like we were the home team. Football is big in the Midwest; if we have a competent FBS team, we're gonna draw. Our stands may be filled with purple for a while, but if we somehow get nationally relevant, that will change. In the meantime, our campus will have football and that WILL be a big boost for enrollment and the average student's college experience.

I believe the best way to market Shocker Football would be as the "city's team" and not so much Wichita State's. In the beginning it would be wise to encourage Wichita tailgate parties instead of just Wichita State. That way ChicKUns and Kittens would be encouraged to attend for nothing more than just the experience of an "exciting" evening of football right in their own back yards.

It gives the almost 650k Wichitan's (1 million within a 100mi radius) another entertainment option in the city; nothing more and nothing less. FBS football would be one more cultural option helping to make Wichita a better place to work, live, and raise a family.

T

...03-cool

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-26-2018 01:27 PM

I agree with almost every shocker poster in this thread, fwiw. It would take another Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers (exemplary Wichita players) on the team at the same time and Bill Parcells (former WSU player/coach) to rejuvenate the fan base. Again, not gonna happen.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - shock - 03-26-2018 01:31 PM

(03-26-2018 12:41 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 12:06 PM)AndShock Wrote:  I honestly don’t think WSU could support football. K-State can do it because of aforementioned Miracle Man and every alum in a 5 state radius travels multiple hours for the home games including all of Western Kansas. The population of Wichita might be enough to get good attendance for some games but we’re never going to have 12 hour tailgate sessions like traditional college football programs have. It’s just not the makeup of our fanbase or city.

12 hour tailgate sessions come from rabid fanbases. Shocker Nation would be considered a rabid fanbase travelling better for basketball than any other program in our league. In fact, our travelling fanbase for baseball is absolutely ridiculous (when we don't suck). I can't tell you how many times I've listened to road games over the years and it sounded like we were the home team. Football is big in the Midwest; if we have a competent FBS team, we're gonna draw. Our stands may be filled with purple for a while, but if we somehow get nationally relevant, that will change. In the meantime, our campus will have football and that WILL be a big boost for enrollment and the average student's college experience.

I believe the best way to market Shocker Football would be as the "city's team" and not so much Wichita State's. In the beginning it would be wise to encourage Wichita tailgate parties instead of just Wichita State. That way ChicKUns and Kittens would be encouraged to attend for nothing more than just the experience of an "exciting" evening of football right in their own back yards.

It gives the almost 650k Wichitan's (1 million within a 100mi radius) another entertainment option in the city; nothing more and nothing less. FBS football would be one more cultural option helping to make Wichita a better place to work, live, and raise a family.

T

...03-cool

Wrong. The metro didn’t and won’t support it. It would be a waste of money rivaling the federal government and an enormous black eye. High risk, little reward. WSU is not into dog and pony shows.

RE: Question for my Shocker Friends.... - invisiblehand - 03-26-2018 02:06 PM

Everyone knows WSU fans are KState fans 6 months out of the year.