CSNbbs
Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... (/thread-847206.html)

Pages: 1 2

Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - C2__ - 04-02-2018 04:50 AM

He's the rare college coach that can succeed in the NBA. Sad too, I felt his personality made far more sense for college basketball at a notable private school, especially Duke when K retires, than in the NBA. But no way does he come back to college unless he gets bored.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - The Cutter of Bish - 04-02-2018 08:27 AM

Never say never. But, that being said...after the feds are done with college athletics, and the NCAA, coaching and remaining at the collegiate level is going to be a much tougher sell.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Hokie4Skins - 04-02-2018 08:44 AM

The Boston Celtics > any college job

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - bluesox - 04-02-2018 08:57 AM

Agree. He will stay with the Celtics until they fire him than recycle with another NBA team, ideally for him the pacers.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - AntiG - 04-02-2018 09:23 AM

he's pretty much the best coach in the NBA right now and has one of the youngest most talented cores in the NBA, so yeah he's not going anywhere.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - SoCalBobcat78 - 04-02-2018 09:29 AM

Stevens isn’t going back to college any time soon. They are just getting started in Boston. They have 4 first round picks in 2019. They have one free agent on the roster, Marcus Smart, and he is a restricted free agent, so they can match any offer to him. Danny Ainge has a great eye for talent, which includes coaching talent. Getting Stevens out of Butler was a great move, especially since he was very much in demand.

Stevens is a great teacher. He gets the most out of each player on the roster. His player development skills, in game coaching and communication are terrific. To have the injuries they have had and be 54-23 is amazing.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - orangefan - 04-02-2018 10:03 AM

(04-02-2018 09:29 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Stevens isn’t going back to college any time soon. They are just getting started in Boston. They have 4 first round picks in 2019. They have one free agent on the roster, Marcus Smart, and he is a restricted free agent, so they can match any offer to him. Danny Ainge has a great eye for talent, which includes coaching talent. Getting Stevens out of Butler was a great move, especially since he was very much in demand.

Stevens is a great teacher. He gets the most out of each player on the roster. His player development skills, in game coaching and communication are terrific. To have the injuries they have had and be 54-23 is amazing.

Agreed. At this point, it's most likely that Brad Stevens' next job will be replacing Ainge as GM and president of the Celtics when the time comes.

Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Jjoey52 - 04-03-2018 12:25 AM

(04-02-2018 09:23 AM)AntiG Wrote:  he's pretty much the best coach in the NBA right now and has one of the youngest most talented cores in the NBA, so yeah he's not going anywhere.

I would say him and Quinn Snyder are the 2 best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - C2__ - 04-03-2018 12:33 AM

Very sad, he could have been a legend at Butler or Duke rather than being a very notable NBA coach. He might go down as a legend there too but he seems more photogenic for college basketball. He must have hated recruiting and working with kids.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - esayem - 04-03-2018 07:01 AM

He doesn’t have any real ties to a D1 program, he went to DePauw (with a “w”). He spent 12 years total at Butler, and decided to try his hand at the next level, nothing wrong with that.

Fred Hoiberg is the one that surprised me.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - bluesox - 04-03-2018 09:12 AM

Hoiberg to Minnesota golden gophers next year

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - C2__ - 04-03-2018 09:35 AM

(04-03-2018 07:01 AM)esayem Wrote:  He doesn’t have any real ties to a D1 program, he went to DePauw (with a “w”). He spent 12 years total at Butler, and decided to try his hand at the next level, nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that but his career will likely go down as a needle in a haystack in the NBA but he could have been a super legend in college basketball, which is saying something considering it has more teams.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Lord Stanley - 04-03-2018 09:41 AM

(04-03-2018 09:12 AM)bluesox Wrote:  Hoiberg to Minnesota golden gophers next year

Poquito Patino has been a disaster.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Wolfman - 04-03-2018 11:29 AM

He's definitely got things rolling in the NBA. A bum draft pic, a fickle owner, over-zealous fans and the tide can turn in a microsecond. Not that Boston has over-zealous fans or fickle owners or a high draft pick ever turned out to be a bum.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - ken d - 04-03-2018 03:33 PM

When he first left for the NBA I didn't think he was ready for such a high profile job yet. Shows how little I know.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - arkstfan - 04-03-2018 04:57 PM

(04-03-2018 09:35 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(04-03-2018 07:01 AM)esayem Wrote:  He doesn’t have any real ties to a D1 program, he went to DePauw (with a “w”). He spent 12 years total at Butler, and decided to try his hand at the next level, nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that but his career will likely go down as a needle in a haystack in the NBA but he could have been a super legend in college basketball, which is saying something considering it has more teams.

Fourth best record in the NBA got stockpile of draft picks. Took a team that looked mediocre on paper, won his division then made it to the conference finals last year. Not out of the realm of possibility that he will eventually take Pops spot as US Men's National Coach.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - C2__ - 04-03-2018 05:06 PM

He could have done that in college.

Not that I'm too bummed out. It's his life but man, he could have been a staple, like Izzo at MSU, Wright at Villanova and K and Duke to name a few.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Gamecock - 04-04-2018 02:01 PM

I mean, he's doing well in the NBA and can always go back to college if he wants.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - C2__ - 04-04-2018 02:19 PM

As well as he's doing in the NBA, why would he come back? Other than being in a psycho sports market like Boston, he's doing really well and can focus on coaching and scouting alone instead of recruiting.

RE: Brad Stevens isn't coming back to college basketball any time soon... - Fighting Muskie - 04-04-2018 09:04 PM

The problem for Stevens was there wasn't any prestige coaching job open at the time he left to take the Celtics job. Luckily for him he's had great success at that level and a bright future ahead of him with a storied franchise.

If things ever sour I'm sure he will bounce back at the collegiate or pro level.