CSNbbs
South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis (/thread-848815.html)

Pages: 1 2

South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - NoDak - 04-25-2018 10:08 AM

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2018/04/24/south-dakota-state-university-jackrabbits-announces-end-men-women-tennis-programs/548700002/

SDSU had 21 sports in D2 and hadn’t cut any. Now they finally are cutting. Tennis needs foreign players with costly scholarships to be competive and SDSU didn’t even attempt that.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - Lord Stanley - 04-25-2018 10:17 AM

A roster of all college tennis players at all levels along with their citizenship would be interesting to take a look at.......

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - dbackjon - 04-25-2018 12:52 PM

(04-25-2018 10:17 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  A roster of all college tennis players at all levels along with their citizenship would be interesting to take a look at.......

I just looked at NAU's (both sports)

Arizona - 3
California - 2
Texas -1
Hawaii - 1

Germany - 4
England - 4
Bolivia - 2
Netherlands - 1
Israel - 1

Coaches:

Poland - 2
Pennslyvania - 1
Spain - 1

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - MidWestMidMajor - 04-25-2018 06:28 PM

Always sad when a school cuts sports and hands out "pink slips" to athletes and coaches.

I looked at their website. The men's team went 1-18 this season, and the women's team went 0-18, a combined 1-36.
Both teams lost to division 2 schools and an NAIA school.

Basically played all their matches "away". Their 2 "home matches" were played in Sioux Falls, about an hour away. Brookings SD is a small, rural town of only 24,000. A city park (next to the elementary school) has 10 tennis courts. That's all I can see from Google maps. They just don't have the "tennis infrastructure". In comparison, UNOmaha had 10 of 27 matches at home. Of course, Omaha is large enough that there are good facilities available in the community.

Composition of the teams by nationality:
The men's team is: 3 from South Dakota, 1 other from USA (Maryland), 7 international.
The women's team is: 3 from South Dakota, 1 other from USA (Florida), 6 international.
The coaches: head coach is American, the assistant is from Wales.

In the Summit League,
women's tennis will be down to just 5 teams.
Men's tennis will be down to 6 teams (3 from the Summit and 3 affiliates from the Missouri Valley).

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - Nerdlinger - 04-25-2018 06:39 PM

Gotta save up money for the imminent move to FBS...

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - MidWestMidMajor - 04-25-2018 06:45 PM

I just realized that most of their schedule is January through April...kind of tough months to play tennis in South Dakota if you don't have an indoor facility available. Latitude-wise, Brookings isn't very far south of Minneapolis- almost even with Green Bay. In other words, it gets cold in the winter!

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - chargeradio - 04-25-2018 07:01 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me if Sacramento State is next:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/sacramento-state-failed-monitor-tennis-program

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - NoDak - 04-25-2018 07:05 PM

South Dakota State practiced in their indoor practice facility, which doesn’t have a regular tennis court. Their practice court likely included two different types of surfaces— overlapping the indoor track and artificial turf. It has been a very brutal spring as snow just melted in SD and Minnesota. UND softball hasn’t played a home series on their regular softball field yet, although the hosted one which was moved to a Dome where the fb team plays.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - MidWestMidMajor - 04-25-2018 07:05 PM

I forgot about Univ of North Dakota joining the Summit next year (sorry NoDak).
UND has both Men's and Women's teams to replace SDSU.
So next year the Summit should have 7 men's and 6 women's teams.

UND's mens team was 5-14. UND's womens team was 7-12.
UND has a nice indoor facility available.
UND might benefit from not having to travel all over the western United States.

Overall, the addition of UND will make the Summit League stronger in tennis.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - dbackjon - 04-25-2018 07:12 PM

(04-25-2018 07:01 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  It wouldn’t surprise me if Sacramento State is next:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/sacramento-state-failed-monitor-tennis-program

They would have to either leave the Big Sky or get a waiver, as men;s and women's tennis are required sports.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - NoDak - 04-25-2018 07:17 PM

Just looked up UND’s tennis programs.

The women’s team gives some scholarships and finished 7-12 this year. They play in a very good city fitness center which has multiple indoor courts.

Women’s team
1- Zimbabwe
2- Australia

2 - North Dakota
2- Minnesota
2- Hawai’i
1- California
1- Texas
1- Virginia

The men’s team was started when we joined the Big Sky, which has both tennis’s as required sports. Last I heard no scholarships are given which is reflected in only winning five matches.

Men’s origins
1- Germany
1- Belarus
1- Italy

2- Minnesota
1- Wisconsin
1- Texas
1- Oklahoma
1- Michigan

Would just as well they dropped tennis and brought in lacrosse. That would bring in a lot more students with just a slight increase in scholarships. Women can play in the MPSF, but men would have to wait as there is no nearby league. Existing facilities can be used.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - Stugray2 - 04-25-2018 07:25 PM

Actually the Summit will stay at 8 Men's and 6 Women's

Men's: UND, DU, UNO, ORU, WIU, Drake, Ill St, Valpo (last three are affiliates who are from the MVC)
Women's: UND, DU, UNO, ORU, WIU, USD

Sac State might want to kill the program, as three years probation, and needing to find a new facility to train and all new staff is a full reboot. But they would likely need some other sports to offset, and it might just be easier to ride it out. Dunno.

I think too much is made of the Big Sky requirement. Idaho is looking at dropping women's soccer (also Men's Golf and Women's S&D) which only Montana State doesn't have (they do skiing, and the Big Sky OK'd that). I suspect the Big Sky would not move against either.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - PDNJ - 04-26-2018 10:32 AM

Hey Summit fans, a little OT, but question: has anyone heard whether or not ESPN3 men's hoops games for the various schools, including the many MidCo games, will be migrating to ESPN+?

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - MidWestMidMajor - 04-26-2018 03:56 PM

Good question about ESPN+. I found this at espnmediazone.com. It's not a very detailed answer.

"The ESPN+ lineup will be rich with thousands of live college sports events, including football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, track & field, gymnastics, swimming & diving, lacrosse, wrestling, volleyball, golf and more — from over a dozen conferences across the country including the America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC and many more."

Now... does that mean ALL Summit games? or just SOME games?
I saw something where there could be ESPN+ blackouts locally, so I don't think MidCo is being dropped completely.
IOW, people locally couldn't bypass MidCo and go straight to ESPN+ (I think).
Maybe it's "new and improved ESPN3".

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - billybobby777 - 04-26-2018 04:43 PM

(04-25-2018 10:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2018/04/24/south-dakota-state-university-jackrabbits-announces-end-men-women-tennis-programs/548700002/

SDSU had 21 sports in D2 and hadn’t cut any. Now they finally are cutting. Tennis needs foreign players with costly scholarships to be competive and SDSU didn’t even attempt that.

Will the Great Northern sponsor tennis when it’s announced July 1st?

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - jacksfan29 - 04-26-2018 05:01 PM

(04-26-2018 04:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-25-2018 10:08 AM)NoDak Wrote:  https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2018/04/24/south-dakota-state-university-jackrabbits-announces-end-men-women-tennis-programs/548700002/

Is that the new official date?

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - NoDak - 04-26-2018 05:20 PM

(04-26-2018 05:01 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 04:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Is that the new official date?
It was the only date I’ve ever given, contrary to the liars and fabricators here. And it is not a new conference, just the Summit with the Montana’s, Idaho and Weber St.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - SDHornet - 04-27-2018 11:11 PM

Sac State signed a foreign recruit (Canada counts right?) to its women's team so that program isn't going anywhere.

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - NoDak - 04-29-2018 09:50 PM

UND is in the process of upping tennis scholarships over two year to comply with Summit League regulations on scholarships. The Summit mandates that at least five of its non-basketball sports be at 85% of the NCAA max.

Men’s tennis moves from 0 to 3.75
Women’s tennis moves from 4.5 to 7.5
Women’s track and cross country have also increased.

Rather sure that the Summit sports of w volleyball, w soccer, and softball are maxed out. Men’s hockey and football are maxed too out but they don’t count.
This was the first year that the men’s team has had foreign nationals, which have expensive scholarships

All scholarships are also FCOA.
Seems like such a waste as tennis non-revenue.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4438530-year-after-cutting-sports-und-athletics-adjusting-slimmer-budget

RE: South Dakota St drops M&W Tennis - Captain Bearcat - 04-30-2018 04:35 PM

Just looked up Cincinnati's women's team (we don't have a men's team due to Title 9)

Ohio - 3
Iowa - 1
Ontario - 2
Mexico - 2
Romania - 1
Spain - 1

Coaches - all from USA