CSNbbs
VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair (/thread-849156.html)

VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Kaplony - 04-30-2018 07:59 PM

http://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/football/co-dc-galen-scott-abruptly-resigns-from-hokies-to-focus/article_06528344-4a42-11e8-8472-3b3fe2bd51a6.html

Quote:Four months after his promotion to be Virginia Tech’s co-defensive coordinator, Galen Scott abruptly resigned Friday after accusations surfaced of an extramarital affair he had while traveling for his duties as a Hokies assistant coach.

“I made a mistake and I have to take responsibility for that,” said Scott, whose resignation was announced in a Friday press release. “I did some things that I want to apologize to my wife for and my family for and I need to make sure I make that right by just being around for them and being the best father and person I can be.”

Quote:Emails to Virginia Tech administrators and coaches last week and accusations made publicly on Twitter by @diggy1973 in the last couple of days allege Scott engaged in an inappropriate relationship while on Hokies recruiting trips.

Scott said not all of the allegations in the tweets are founded: specifically the misuse of athletic department funds. A Virginia Tech spokesman said every recruiting trip Scott made was legitimate and no misuse of athletic department money was discovered.

Quote:Scott was considered a rising star in the industry, one who drew enough interest in the offseason to warrant being given a co-defensive coordinator title working alongside Hokies mainstay Bud Foster. He was set to make $338,000 in 2018, making him the fourth-highest-paid assistant coach on the staff.

Quote:Virginia Tech has promoted Justin Hamilton on an interim basis to replace him. Hamilton, who played for the Hokies under Frank Beamer from 2002-05, finishing his career as a defensive back, had joined Tech in a player development role earlier this year.

Before that, he spent four seasons at VMI as a linebackers coach and special teams coordinator, joining the Keydets after four years at UVa-Wise, where he worked his way up to defensive coordinator.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Hokie Mark - 04-30-2018 09:24 PM

I reported this on my blog, too. Disappointed - he had a promising career ahead - but to save his family he had to cut out the trips for sure.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - 4x4hokies - 04-30-2018 10:11 PM

I thought having an affair was Presidential material these days.

People still think it's a big deal huh?

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Hokie Mark - 04-30-2018 11:36 PM

(04-30-2018 10:11 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I thought having an affair was Presidential material these days.

It is to the family that has to go through it.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - TampaTom - 05-01-2018 08:53 PM

(04-30-2018 11:36 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(04-30-2018 10:11 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  I thought having an affair was Presidential material these days.

It is to the family that has to go through it.

No lie. Really really sucks to be the children, it can very negatively impact all of the relationships they form with people.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Pervis_Griffith - 05-02-2018 12:17 PM

Would like to see what caused him to step away from a $338K a year gig.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Hokie Mark - 05-02-2018 12:33 PM

(05-02-2018 12:17 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Would like to see what caused him to step away from a $338K a year gig.

Easy - his family. He must be serious about saving his marriage.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - HRFlossY - 05-03-2018 12:04 PM

(05-02-2018 12:33 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-02-2018 12:17 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Would like to see what caused him to step away from a $338K a year gig.

Exactly...!! Which does pose the question how bad/good was it to walk away from $338K a year04-jawdrop!!!!!

Man that must have been an unfix-able situation to the MAX!!!!

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Pervis_Griffith - 05-03-2018 12:22 PM

(05-02-2018 12:33 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

If Petrino can recover from his affair and scandal, I am sure this guy can too.

I want to see what his mistress looks like .... I guarantee she ain't worth $338K.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - The Grassy Nole - 05-03-2018 01:04 PM

Honestly how would this effect VT? I thought Bud Foster calls all the shots for the defense; or did he play a large role for the Hokies? This is a serious question; I thought this guy's role was like any FSU OC under Jimbo, pretty much just a title but honestly didn't do anything.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 05-03-2018 02:34 PM

(05-03-2018 01:04 PM)The Grassy Nole Wrote:  Honestly how would this effect VT? I thought Bud Foster calls all the shots for the defense; or did he play a large role for the Hokies? This is a serious question; I thought this guy's role was like any FSU OC under Jimbo, pretty much just a title but honestly didn't do anything.

He was the safeties coach before getting promoted to Co-DC. My understanding of the promotion was that it was more about keeping a valued coach in the fold, as he was known as a good recruiter and likely was getting looks from other schools for DC jobs.

In the grand scheme of things, it could hurt a little bit on the recruiting side but it's hard to say how much. From an optics standpoint, this wasn't a good look for the program but I think everyone handled it as best they could given the circumstances.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - Hokie Mark - 05-03-2018 04:03 PM

(05-03-2018 02:34 PM)H.U.S.T.L.E. Wrote:  
(05-03-2018 01:04 PM)The Grassy Nole Wrote:  Honestly how would this effect VT? I thought Bud Foster calls all the shots for the defense; or did he play a large role for the Hokies? This is a serious question; I thought this guy's role was like any FSU OC under Jimbo, pretty much just a title but honestly didn't do anything.

He was the safeties coach before getting promoted to Co-DC. My understanding of the promotion was that it was more about keeping a valued coach in the fold, as he was known as a good recruiter and likely was getting looks from other schools for DC jobs.

In the grand scheme of things, it could hurt a little bit on the recruiting side but it's hard to say how much. From an optics standpoint, this wasn't a good look for the program but I think everyone handled it as best they could given the circumstances.

Yeah, from VT's point of view, this is a setback for recruiting. Hopefully they find a capable replacement soon.

As for him, not sure his wife stays with him if he goes back on the road. Hard to even imagine how things must be in his house.

RE: VT's newly promoted Co-DC resigns due to extramarital affair - The Grassy Nole - 05-03-2018 05:16 PM

Thanks for the clarification!