CSNbbs
The Bill Chambers Mystery - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: The Bill Chambers Mystery (/thread-849388.html)

The Bill Chambers Mystery - WMSportsBlog - 05-04-2018 02:49 PM

As I was scouring the web pouring over old W&M basketball information (as any sane person typically does), I came across former W&M player (and Head Coach) Bill Chambers. How many of you know who the player is that holds the NCAA all-time single-game rebounding record?...I'll wait.

It's Bill Chambers. On Feb 14, 1953 (happy Valentine's Day!), Chambers notched 51 rebounds against UVA -- a record that stands TO THIS DAY. W&M had over 100 rebounds during that game. Don't ask me how the hell this happened, but it did.

Either way, Chambers went on to finish his W&M career with over 1,400 career points. He also had a successful stint as W&M basketball's head coach later in his life. As many of you here probably know, the legend himself passed away last year.

However, there was one thing off about this story. I found this quote on his wiki page: "His jersey number (#32) was retired and now hangs in the rafters of William & Mary Hall."

To my knowledge, the only jersey that is hanging up in the rafters with #32 is Giermak's, not Chambers'. So my question for everyone on this board is: am I wrong? What happened to Chambers' banner?

Roll Damn Tribe.

RE: The Bill Chambers Mystery - mrjoolius - 05-04-2018 03:17 PM

Unless something has changed, I remember his jersey hanging in the rafters. I think most all on these boards know or know of Chambers. I think your point would apply more to the general public that have not invested an interest in W&M. Former players and long time fans know all about Chambers and the record is a source of alumni pride.

RE: The Bill Chambers Mystery - WM Beancounter - 05-04-2018 03:26 PM

Chambers' jersey is up there. Just walk in the Hall and look up.

RE: The Bill Chambers Mystery - WMSportsBlog - 05-04-2018 09:17 PM

The picture I found must be old. Either way, did Chambers and Giermak wear the same number?

RE: The Bill Chambers Mystery - mrjoolius - 05-04-2018 09:54 PM

(05-04-2018 09:17 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  The picture I found must be old. Either way, did Chambers and Giermak wear the same number?
Appears so 😀

[Image: unnamed-6.jpg]
[Image: DZESFIPWTUYBZJY.20110307164651.jpg]

[Image: 1280px-W%26M_retired_jerseys_1.jpg]
[Image: 1280px-W%26M_retired_jerseys_2.jpg]

RE: The Bill Chambers Mystery - bubbadog57 - 05-05-2018 05:37 AM

Bill Chambers was a grand guy, a true gentleman and a wonderful coach. By all accounts he was a terrific basketball player who, despite his 6-4 size, was a remarkable rebounder and tough guy on the court.

Bill became very successful in the sporting goods industry after retiring from coaching at W&M.