CSNbbs
Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... (/thread-850039.html)

Pages: 1 2

Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 200yrs2late - 05-16-2018 08:03 AM

Let me start this off by saying that my mother and aunt were career teachers in NC that retired with over 30 each. Thankfully, when they retired kids still had some sense of respect for authority figures and they had greater latitude in regards to teaching methods.

That said, teachers in NC have been reduced to pawns of the NC Association of Educators (equivalency to NC teachers union) in their bid to oust the GOP from control in NC. For the past couple of weeks the NCAE has been all over the new yelling about teacher pay and work conditions, demanding that NC teacher pay be raised to the national average. They claim that NC teacher pay ranks 39th in the country, but fail to adjust for cost of living which moves NC teacher pay up to 27th.

Each and every one of the press releases and scripted interviews talks for length about working conditions, poor pay, class sizes, and out of date textbooks, yet concludes with statements blaming NC GOP lawmakers for lax teacher pay.
Nevermind that teachers in NC have received a raise in each of the past 5 years, with a 6.2% raise planned for this year, and another raise on the books for next year. Add to that the simple fact that the GOP has only been in leadership control of the NC legislature since 2011, and leading up to that point many teachers were furlowed or say pay cuts under democratic leadership and it's clear this march has little to do with class sizes, working conditions, textbooks, or even teacher pay. The teacher rally is 2018's HB2 in the eyes of the democrat party that is desperate to swing NC back to blue.

Anybody with half a brain can see through the political agenda being pushed by the NCAE. School ends roughly 2 weeks from now and the general assembly would still be in session then. Rather than hold the rally after students have been dismissed, over 1 million kids are out of school today as 40 counties have closed school for the rally.

Truth about NC teacher pay

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Chappy - 05-16-2018 08:36 AM

It's funny, the teachers fell so far behind the national average during the Easley (D)/Perdue (D) era that even after all the recent raises, NC is still in the bottom 15 in average teacher pay nationally.

So, while I get that they still want more (I feel like we need to get into the top 25 to attract/retain great teachers), I don't get how the Republicans are the bad guys.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - CliftonAve - 05-16-2018 08:39 AM

Not a school teacher, but I only got a 2% pay raise this year (and the 3 years before that) If people in my organization decided to march against leadership on a work day we would be out of a job and replaced.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - BadgerMJ - 05-16-2018 08:54 AM

(05-16-2018 08:03 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Let me start this off by saying that my mother and aunt were career teachers in NC that retired with over 30 each. Thankfully, when they retired kids still had some sense of respect for authority figures and they had greater latitude in regards to teaching methods.

That said, teachers in NC have been reduced to pawns of the NC Association of Educators (equivalency to NC teachers union) in their bid to oust the GOP from control in NC. For the past couple of weeks the NCAE has been all over the new yelling about teacher pay and work conditions, demanding that NC teacher pay be raised to the national average. They claim that NC teacher pay ranks 39th in the country, but fail to adjust for cost of living which moves NC teacher pay up to 27th.

Each and every one of the press releases and scripted interviews talks for length about working conditions, poor pay, class sizes, and out of date textbooks, yet concludes with statements blaming NC GOP lawmakers for lax teacher pay.
Nevermind that teachers in NC have received a raise in each of the past 5 years, with a 6.2% raise planned for this year, and another raise on the books for next year. Add to that the simple fact that the GOP has only been in leadership control of the NC legislature since 2011, and leading up to that point many teachers were furlowed or say pay cuts under democratic leadership and it's clear this march has little to do with class sizes, working conditions, textbooks, or even teacher pay. The teacher rally is 2018's HB2 in the eyes of the democrat party that is desperate to swing NC back to blue.

Anybody with half a brain can see through the political agenda being pushed by the NCAE. School ends roughly 2 weeks from now and the general assembly would still be in session then. Rather than hold the rally after students have been dismissed, over 1 million kids are out of school today as 40 counties have closed school for the rally.

Truth about NC teacher pay

Call their bluff, tell the teachers to put up or shut up.

If you think you're REALLY worth more than what you're getting paid and you think you can get a BETTER job someplace else, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Go for it.

Can every last one of them and tell them to get steppin'.

See how much backtracking will take place once those pink slips start going out.

Three things that are certain.... Death, Taxes, and teachers b1tching about pay & benefits.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - thespiritof1976 - 05-16-2018 08:59 AM

One of the bigwigs at the NEA said that they'll start to represent kids as soon as they start paying union dues.

Let that sink in.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 49RFootballNow - 05-16-2018 09:06 AM

I would have fired every teacher that didn't show up for work today. Protest on YOUR time, not the kids'.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Chappy - 05-16-2018 09:44 AM

(05-16-2018 09:06 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  I would have fired every teacher that didn't show up for work today. Protest on YOUR time, not the kids'.

I think the decision to do it on a school day (many counties closed because of this, leaving parents of younger kids stuck making secondary arrangements) will hurt them in the eyes of the general public more than it will help them.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 49RFootballNow - 05-16-2018 09:46 AM

(05-16-2018 09:44 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(05-16-2018 09:06 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  I would have fired every teacher that didn't show up for work today. Protest on YOUR time, not the kids'.

I think the decision to do it on a school day (many counties closed because of this, leaving parents of younger kids stuck making secondary arrangements) will hurt them in the eyes of the general public more than it will help them.

They want to show us how much we need them. I doubt one day will do more than piss the parents (aka taxpayers, aka "the bosses") off royally.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Marc Mensa - 05-16-2018 10:04 AM

Teachers are grossly underpaid and schools are underfunded... particularly in southern states.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Chappy - 05-16-2018 10:19 AM

(05-16-2018 08:03 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Truth about NC teacher pay

Something doesn't make sense. It says average teacher pay in NC is $53,600, yet the max it shows on the chart is $51,000 and that's for teachers who've been working for 21 years. If you have to teach 15 years to reach $50K and 20 to reach $51K, how is the average over $53K? County supplements? Bonuses? Something doesn't add up.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-16-2018 10:24 AM

(05-16-2018 10:04 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Teachers are grossly underpaid and schools are underfunded... particularly in southern states.

And funding has skyrocketed over the past 4 decades--but outcomes have tanked. Note that is funding that has skyrocketed, not teacher salaries. So where is the money going? Administration, funding social engineering projects, and other stuff not related to the three R's. How many assistant principals did your school have? Compare that to your kids' schools. 0 and 5, respectively, in my case.

Get rid of the social engineering BS, focus on the basics (and yes, I include things like art and music and physical fitness in the basics to be funded, but not all the sensitivity training), pay teachers and hold them accountable, and emulate best practices from education systems that get far better results for far less cost. That includes tings like tracking students and serious upgrading vocational programs to develop skills useful in the real world.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 49RFootballNow - 05-16-2018 10:28 AM

(05-16-2018 10:19 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

Something doesn't make sense. It says average teacher pay in NC is $53,600, yet the max it shows on the chart is $51,000 and that's for teachers who've been working for 21 years. If you have to teach 15 years to reach $50K and 20 to reach $51K, how is the average over $53K? County supplements? Bonuses? Something doesn't add up.

I can only tell you from what my sister (a high school teacher) has experienced, but there are other school system funded programs they can work on that provide them extra compensation outside of normal salary. She's teaching an extra class right now that alone is almost as much money as three normal classes, and because it's funding (including her compensation) comes from a different source, doesn't get included as normal wages.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-16-2018 10:37 AM

Administrators. Those half dozen assistant principals at every school are pushing six figures in many places.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Chappy - 05-16-2018 10:42 AM

(05-16-2018 10:37 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Administrators. Those half dozen assistant principals at every school are pushing six figures in many places.

I doubt it includes administrators, but I wondered if it included college professors... "Teachers in NC" is kinda vague.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - solohawks - 05-16-2018 10:54 AM

(05-16-2018 09:44 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

That is my opinion as well.

You Can argue about the size, but the fact is the teachers got a raise and make a solid, stable salary. Many of the families they serve make less than a teacher. Single moms in my office were complaining about having to make alternative arrangements so people who just got raises and made more than them could protest for another raise. Rightly or wrongly that was a common perspective at the healthcare office I worked at

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-16-2018 10:58 AM

(05-16-2018 10:42 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
I doubt it includes administrators, but I wondered if it included college professors... "Teachers in NC" is kinda vague.

It generally means they're part of the teachers' unions, and that would generally include anybody on campus, although perhaps not full principals.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 200yrs2late - 05-16-2018 10:59 AM

I would assume county supplements. Some counties kick in up to 10%.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - 200yrs2late - 05-16-2018 11:24 AM

(05-16-2018 10:42 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

The morning radio show didn't say if it included administrators or not, but they did say it was public education (k-12) teachers only - not college professors.

I fully support several of the items that teachers are at the rally in support of, but I have a problem when they act as if the GOP is to blame for low pay and poor funding.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Chappy - 05-16-2018 11:25 AM

(05-16-2018 11:24 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  I fully support several of the items that teachers are at the rally in support of, but I have a problem when they act as if the GOP is to blame for low pay and poor funding.

That's how I feel as well.

RE: Teaches march against NC GOP leadership today.... - Marc Mensa - 05-16-2018 11:28 AM

I would agree here. There are assistant principals for every grade and a half dozen secretaries at the local high schools in this area, both in the county and in the city. I remember there being a couple of secretaries and a couple of assistant principals back in the 80's.