CSNbbs
Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye (/thread-850353.html)

Pages: 1 2

Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - HornLakeTiger - 05-21-2018 12:59 PM

As usual, amazing piece from Calkins..

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2018/05/21/calkins-after-22-years-its-hard-say-farewell/627522002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - aTxTIGER - 05-21-2018 01:10 PM

Good way to finish

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - HornLakeTiger - 05-21-2018 01:16 PM

I didn't realize he was here as the Marlins' beat writer the night of the infamous non game at Tim McCarver. I was there with my dad that night. 13 years old.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - snowtiger - 05-21-2018 01:30 PM

“The best part of being a local columnist is being a local columnist.”

He’s not leaving Memphis. It’s in his blood. lol

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - bbqtiger - 05-21-2018 01:38 PM

I am an almost 68 yr old native Memphian. I got the blood in me, too. This is HOME. And I am pleased Geoff has it in his veins, too. Good job for 22 years, Geoff. See you in a bit!!

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - Latilleon - 05-21-2018 02:43 PM

The CA will miss Calkins.

He’s usually been nice to me; especially when he found out I was Latty from the message boards.

But he did big time me the first couple of times I met him when I just wanted to tell him I enjoyed his columns.

He’s my favorite local talk show host. I think since he’s been on the air the last 15 or so years, he brings thoughtfulness and intelligence to the conversation.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - memtigbb - 05-21-2018 02:53 PM

(05-21-2018 02:43 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  The CA will miss Calkins.

He’s usually been nice to me; especially when he found out I was Latty from the message boards.

But he did big time me the first couple of times I met him when I just wanted to tell him I enjoyed his columns.

He’s my favorite local talk show host. I think since he’s been on the air the last 15 or so years, he brings thoughtfulness and intelligence to the conversation.

I have always enjoyed his columns and his talk shows.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - ImaTiger - 05-21-2018 03:46 PM

Geoff's article where he did a hatchet job on Larry Finch about Demond 'Boogie' Lyles was unnecessary, harsh and what any northern carpet bagger would write about us- and he knows it.

But between that and the article he wrote about Midtown Mary; he became one of us- a Memphian.

Glad he isn't leaving the city, hate to see the CA die, can't wait to read the next Calkins iteration.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - EarthBoundMisfit - 05-21-2018 03:54 PM

He's always been cordial.
I've spoken with him for years...mostly through email.
I remember him and I discussing the Tommy West hire right after Memphis fired Rip Scherer.
I told him at the time I thought it was a lazy hire....was glad to be proven wrong for a little while.
In that way..he's kind of like Josh Pastner, if you drop him a line...he'll get back to you when he has the time.
I'm thankful that even when he and I didn't see eye to eye on something...we could agree to disagree amicably.
One of the best writers I've read in my lifetime.
I am including Mike Royko, Lewis Grizzard, and Al Dunning in that group of really good writers I've enjoyed over the years.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - Mimi - 05-21-2018 05:10 PM

Something nice.

Nasal usually spelled things correctly! Not always, but most of the time. He is not leaving Memphis. I weep more for the slow demise of newspapers than a scribe moving venues in order to get more readers.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - TIGERCITY - 05-21-2018 06:14 PM

I hope he remains in a position to get ADs and coaches fired --- one if the best. 03-wink

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - Hernando Hills Tiger - 05-21-2018 06:36 PM

(05-21-2018 02:43 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  The CA will miss Calkins.

Interesting that you say that. I listened long ago, 10 years maybe, when GEoff and Gary were talking about this board. They were laughing about the names and then one of them said, "Theres even somebody named Latilleon."

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - BandwagonJumper - 05-21-2018 06:40 PM

Good article.

Good writer.

Good riddance.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - danny1 - 05-21-2018 07:11 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Calkins’ columns. He’s at his best when doing human interest stories - like those he referred to in his last column.

To see what The Commercial Appeal has become in the last few months is simply sickening. I welcome another alternate way to get “Memphis News.” Hopefully Calkins and those leaving the paper will provide us that new opportunity in the near future.

I look forward to reading more from Geoff soon. Glad he is staying in Memphis. He’s earned the title of “Memphian.”

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - karter25 - 05-21-2018 08:03 PM

(05-21-2018 01:16 PM)HornLakeTiger Wrote:  I didn't realize he was here as the Marlins' beat writer the night of the infamous non game at Tim McCarver. I was there with my dad that night. 13 years old.

Loved it when a fan threw a beer in David Hersh face on live tv for being the owner that created this farce.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - ohmboy - 05-21-2018 08:53 PM

Geoff leaving is just one more nail in the coffin of the CA. I’ve had home delivery since the Press closed down October 31, 1983. Sadly it’s become a shell of it’s former self so much that combined with the recent rate increase I could no longer justify my subscription. I canceled with January 31 supposedly being my last issue.

Guess what’s been in my drive every morning since then? Yep, a blue plastic bagged CA. Only problem is there’s no one to complain to when it’s late.

Seriously, I won’t miss it the way it is now. I miss what it used to be. RIP

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - kabluey - 05-21-2018 09:07 PM

Can't wait to see the new non profit model in action. It has worked in a few different sized markets, like Tucson and Austin.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - 450bench - 05-21-2018 09:34 PM

Calkins lied his azz off most of last week about leaving the CA. While I understand his reason for doing just that, had that been someone else doing all the lying, Calkins would have ripped them a new one in print and on the radio.

Another reason I've never been much of a fan.

Skilled writer, no doubt, regardless of my own personal views.

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - tigersgrizzfan - 05-21-2018 11:11 PM

hate to see him go

but i get it

there is literally no reason to pay any attention to the commercial appeal now

RE: Final Geoff Calkins CA column: After 22 years, it's hard to say goodbye - 3rdgenerationtiger - 05-22-2018 05:03 AM

(05-21-2018 09:34 PM)450bench Wrote:  Calkins lied his azz off most of last week about leaving the CA.

I’ve heard this from others and I find it hard to believe he just blatantly lied. Did he lie or did situations change which forced him to make a move earlier than planned? Usually folks that graduate with a law degree from Harvard and a Masters degree from Columbia are intelligent enough not to have to “lie their azz off.”