CSNbbs
Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! (/thread-850633.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 03:12 PM

We are quickly approaching the 20th Anniversary of the infamous “Denver Airport Meeting” where Air Force, BYU, Utah, Colorado St & Wyoming decided to leave the WAC 16 and form a brand new all sports conference called the Mountain West. Those 5 quickly invited New Mexico, San Diego St and UNLV and a conference was born. This upcoming sports season will be the 20th for the MWC. (1999 was 1st season)

The 8 chosen for the MWC: AF, BYU, Utah, CSU, UNLV, SDSU, UNM, Wyoming

The 8 left behind: TCU, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, SJSU, Fresno St, Hawaii

That move had huge ripple effects that effected The Big West, (it died) WAC (died as a FB conference eventually) Sun Belt (started FB) and CUSA (picked up leftovers)

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - Fighting Muskie - 05-25-2018 03:17 PM

I doubt the 5 attendees are gathering for a reunion to reminisce.

Th sad irony is had schools like UTEP, Fresno St, and Hawaii voted to bring about the WAC 16 they never would have been left behind.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 03:37 PM

(05-25-2018 03:17 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I doubt the 5 attendees are gathering for a reunion to reminisce.

Th sad irony is had schools like UTEP, Fresno St, and Hawaii voted to bring about the WAC 16 they never would have been left behind.

Yep those 3 WAC schools got the shaft. The SWC schools were in the league 2 years when the announcement came down and Tulsa and San Jose St had finally gotten into the WAC after years of trying....only to see 8 of the WAC schools leave them. That was a crazy time. First the SWC announcement in 94 then the Airport Meeting in 98....crazy times.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 03:43 PM

Interesting tidbit: As recently as the year 2000 there were 4 Western FB Conferences:
PAC 10
MWC
WAC
Big West

Now there’s 2.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - DavidSt - 05-25-2018 04:05 PM

(05-25-2018 03:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Interesting tidbit: As recently as the year 2000 there were 4 Western FB Conferences:
PAC 10
MWC
WAC
Big West

Now there’s 2.

Big 8 and then Big 12 because of Colorado which the state is considered western part of the US.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 04:14 PM

(05-25-2018 04:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 03:43 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Interesting tidbit: As recently as the year 2000 there were 4 Western FB Conferences:
PAC 10
MWC
WAC
Big West

Now there’s 2.

Big 8 and then Big 12 because of Colorado which the state is considered western part of the US.

Technically one could say Colorado AND Texas Tech and TCU. I remember the saying in DFW that SMU looked East and TCU looked West. Texas Tech is definitely Western. I lived there. It was not pretty like the Mountain states towns, but it’s certainly not Eastern or Midwestern being a few miles away from the NM border...

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - quo vadis - 05-25-2018 04:15 PM

I didn't pay any attention to that when it happened, because to me and many others in the east, western football was (and is, save for the addition of Boise) the PAC and BYU.

But obviously, the formation of the MWC had great implications for realignment in the western 2/3s of the country.

Thing is, I don't think much has changed for the schools. Everyone is pretty much where they were then, save arguably for BYU, who has IMO lost stature during that time, Boise, who came out of nowhere to gain it, and of course TCU and Utah, who road various rails all the way up to the P5.

Just goes to show that conference shuffling is often a case of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. You can't create value via conference configuration unless the schools themselves have it.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 04:23 PM

(05-25-2018 04:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I didn't pay any attention to that when it happened, because to me and many others in the east, western football was (and is, save for the addition of Boise) the PAC and BYU.

But obviously, the formation of the MWC had great implications for realignment in the western 2/3s of the country.

Thing is, I don't think much has changed for the schools. Everyone is pretty much where they were then, save arguably for BYU, who has IMO lost stature during that time, Boise, who came out of nowhere to gain it, and of course TCU and Utah, who road various rails all the way up to the P5.

Just goes to show that conference shuffling is often a case of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. You can't create value via conference configuration unless the schools themselves have it.

I suppose it’s the Iowa Holiday Bowls in the 80’s and 90’s vs the WAC that always give me fond memories of the original WAC. I always thought it was a very underrated conference and fun to watch with those high flying offenses. Then the WAC 16 came and everyone followed that experiment...then they blew it up. Then Boise came around out of nowhere later...Interesting moments with that group of schools to say the very least.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - jdgaucho - 05-25-2018 04:52 PM

(05-25-2018 04:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I didn't pay any attention to that when it happened, because to me and many others in the east, western football was (and is, save for the addition of Boise) the PAC and BYU.

NMSU going independent and Idaho returning to the Big Sky would like to have a word with you. Both were in the Big West when the MWC was born. They got hit the hardest.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - UTEPDallas - 05-25-2018 05:08 PM

Unlike UTEP, at least Hawaii and Fresno State are back where they belong. They’re home. UTEP is a Western school lost in a Southern based conference. No rivalries. Nothing in common with most schools. But I’m still glad C-USA is our home. We could be in a worse spot. Just look at New Mexico State.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - IWokeUpLikeThis - 05-25-2018 05:55 PM

This also caused the play-in game in Dayton. If this doesn’t happen, who knows how long it takes to expand to 65 and then 68 (maybe Big East split pushes it to 65 where we stand today).

It’s surprising Wyoming was included over the likes of TCU given the demographics/market-hyperfocus of expansion.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - johnintx - 05-25-2018 06:18 PM

(05-25-2018 04:14 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
PAC 10
MWC
WAC
Big West

Now there’s 2.

Technically one could say Colorado AND Texas Tech and TCU. I remember the saying in DFW that SMU looked East and TCU looked West. Texas Tech is definitely Western. I lived there. It was not pretty like the Mountain states towns, but it’s certainly not Eastern or Midwestern being a few miles away from the NM border...

Fort Worth is Where the West Begins. It has been the city slogan for years, and was (maybe still is) just below the masthead of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Fort Worth and Lubbock are Western-type of places, but more importantly Texan. Their orientation is toward the rest of Texas first, then the West.

Colorado was a western school in a midwestern conference, like West Virginia is an eastern school in a midwestern conference. It was in a neighboring state, but a long distance still separated it from the other schools. In the Big 8, they were the one school that was not like the others. In the Big 12, even more so, as that state's orientation moved more toward California and less toward Texas. In spite of the distance between Colorado and the west coast, the Pac 12 was a good move for them. They are western.

Back to the discussion at hand, I miss the old 10-team WAC. That was a fun league made up of schools that were more alike than different, in an era with a smaller gap between conferences in Division I-A.

The 16-team WAC was an experiment worth trying, but there just wasn't enough TV money to make it worthwhile, and the Airport Group schools missed out on playing each other as much as they would have liked. Ironically, Utah (greener pastures) and BYU (a whole other topic of discussion) have now left their airport friends.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - billybobby777 - 05-25-2018 06:18 PM

(05-25-2018 05:55 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  This also caused the play-in game in Dayton. If this doesn’t happen, who knows how long it takes to expand to 65 and then 68 (maybe Big East split pushes it to 65 where we stand today).

It’s surprising Wyoming was included over the likes of TCU given the demographics/market-hyperfocus of expansion.

History that the front range schools share together. No way they were going to ditch one of their own for TCU who at that time who was a losing record WAC team...

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - Fighting Muskie - 05-25-2018 09:15 PM

Would things had gone better had the SWC schools invited the Airport 5 plus UNM and UTEP?

Hawaii, Fresno St, and SanDiego St would have then been free to add UNLV, San Jose St, Utah St, Nevada, New Mexico St and maybe one more of Boise/Idaho/UNT and the Big West gets out of the football business after the 1995 season.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - johnintx - 05-25-2018 10:39 PM

(05-25-2018 06:18 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 05:55 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  This also caused the play-in game in Dayton. If this doesn’t happen, who knows how long it takes to expand to 65 and then 68 (maybe Big East split pushes it to 65 where we stand today).

History that the front range schools share together. No way they were going to ditch one of their own for TCU who at that time who was a losing record WAC team...

This. Wyoming has a long history with those schools. In spite of their small market and fan base, they are a core member of that conference.

TCU's renaissance did not begin until 1998 (the year of the WAC/MW split), when they went to the Sun Bowl with a 6-5 record but beat USC behind a young LaDainian Tomlinson. The Frogs eventually got to the Mountain West by way of the WAC and C-USA.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - quo vadis - 05-26-2018 06:47 AM

(05-25-2018 04:23 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

I suppose it’s the Iowa Holiday Bowls in the 80’s and 90’s vs the WAC that always give me fond memories of the original WAC. I always thought it was a very underrated conference and fun to watch with those high flying offenses. Then the WAC 16 came and everyone followed that experiment...then they blew it up. Then Boise came around out of nowhere later...Interesting moments with that group of schools to say the very least.

I think we all have fond memories of the late 1970s - early 1990s WAC. It wasn't called the "wacky WAC" for nothing, we loved the run and gun style of football just like we liked Tark's UNLV running rebels. It was Wild West football and a lot of fun to watch, particularly at a time when many college teams in the south and midwest were still playing three yards and a cloud of dust football.

We didn't take it very seriously, even when BYU won the 84 title we all kind of regarded that as a fluke, they played a soft schedule and all the major powers that year were 'down' for one reason or another. The real peak moment was probably Ty Detmer beating Miami in 1990. That was a shocker and garnered real respect.

But nobody doubted the entertainment value of what they were doing out there.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - quo vadis - 05-26-2018 06:55 AM

(05-25-2018 06:18 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 04:14 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
PAC 10
MWC
WAC
Big West

Now there’s 2.

Fort Worth is Where the West Begins. It has been the city slogan for years, and was (maybe still is) just below the masthead of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Fort Worth and Lubbock are Western-type of places, but more importantly Texan.

Well, just because someone says something doesn't make it so. E.g., St Louis calls itself the "Gateway to the West" and built a 600 foot high arc to symbolize it, but truth is St Louis doesn't feel anything like the West, that doesn't start until you exit Missouri and get deep in to Kansas, almost to Colorado.

As for Texas, I'd say where the west begins does kind of run down the middle of Texas. Yes, DFW in the north, and San Antonio in the south.

Heck, in San Antonio, the difference is stark: Drive a few miles to the east, and you still feel like you are in the Houston/gulf coast part of Texas, definitely not a western feel. But drive a few miles west, and you see John Wayne landscape - dry, arid, brown, not a tree in sight, even start seeing tumbleweeds! Definitely the West.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - quo vadis - 05-26-2018 06:59 AM

(05-25-2018 04:52 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

NMSU going independent and Idaho returning to the Big Sky would like to have a word with you. Both were in the Big West when the MWC was born. They got hit the hardest.

To me, when you talk about the difference between the "Big West" and the "Big Sky" you're quibbling, like the difference between C-USA and the Sun Belt. Sure, there's a difference sort of, and maybe it means something to a school involved, but from an objective/outsider POV, that is a case study in shuffling chairs on a deck of a doomed ship.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - esayem - 05-26-2018 06:59 AM

Fun fact I like to bring up: UNLV was voted into the WAC at the same time as Hawaii and Air Force I believe. They had full WAC schedules for a few years, but couldn't get their facilities upgraded so they were cut loose.

I vaguely remember the WAC split, mainly because it created the play-in game. I also thought it was ridiculous LaTech became a member of the conference. In retrospect, it sort of made sense with Rice next door, but Utah State probably would have been a better addition at the time.

RE: Realignment junkies: 20th Anniversary of MWC Airport Meeting coming up! - quo vadis - 05-26-2018 07:02 AM

(05-26-2018 06:59 AM)esayem Wrote:  Fun fact I like to bring up: UNLV was voted into the WAC at the same time as Hawaii and Air Force I believe. They had full WAC schedules for a few years, but couldn't get their facilities upgraded so they were cut loose.

I vaguely remember the WAC split, mainly because it created the play-in game. I also thought it was ridiculous LaTech became a member of the conference. In retrospect, it sort of made sense with Rice next door, but Utah State probably would have been a better addition at the time.

You and everyone else in Louisiana who bothered to notice. Talk about a cultural outlier, maybe there has never been a stranger affiliation in all of FBS.

Another fun fact: LA-Tech's 2018 seniors just graduated with a 4-0 bowl record.

BTW, Rice and LA-Tech are about 300 miles apart, so not sure that qualifies as 'next door', LOL.