CSNbbs
College World Series ... pairings announced - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: College World Series ... pairings announced (/thread-851605.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-12-2018 08:08 AM

The NCAA announced the games of the 2018 College World Series, national seeds in brackets. Info quoted from the NCAA link below. Strangely, ALL games of the CWS, including loser's bracket games, will air on ESPN, except for game 4, which will air on ESPN2:

Game 1, 6/16: (3) Oregon State vs (6) North Carolina (3 PM EST)

Game 2, 6/16: Washington vs Mississippi State (8 PM EST)

Game 3, 6/17: (5) Arkansas vs (13) Texas ... (2 PM)

Game 4, 6/17: (1) Florida vs (9) Texas Tech ... (7 PM)

The losers of Saturday’s two games will play at 2 p.m. ET Monday, June 18 on ESPN. While Saturday’s winners face off at 7 p.m. ET Monday, June 18 on ESPN. The losers of Sunday’s games will play each other at 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, June 19 on ESPN. Sunday’s winners will meet Tuesday, June 19 at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.

The winners of the two brackets will play a best-of-three Men’s College World Series Finals, with the first game set for 7 p.m. ET Monday, June 25. The second game is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET Tuesday, June 26 with the game three (if necessary) scheduled for 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, June 27. All three of the finals games will air on ESPN.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-11/pairings-and-game-times-announced-2018-mens-college-world-series

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - indianasniff - 06-13-2018 12:02 PM

Fascinating thing to me is that the finals start at 5pm local time.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-13-2018 05:02 PM

(06-13-2018 12:02 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Fascinating thing to me is that the finals start at 5pm local time.

I thought Omaha was in the central zone. If so, then they start at 6 PM local time.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-18-2018 10:29 PM

Washington is the first team eliminated from the CWS.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - sierrajip - 06-19-2018 12:19 AM

(06-18-2018 10:29 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Washington is the first team eliminated from the CWS.

Not a bad year for the school, in the College Series in both baseball and softball.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-19-2018 05:55 PM

Texas is eliminated by Florida, six teams still alive. Florida stays alive in losers bracket.

Mississippi State defeats North Carolina to advance to the final four. Any additional win by MSST puts them in the finals.

UNC falls to losers bracket and will play Oregon State in an elimination game. The winner will have to beat Mississippi State twice to advance to the finals.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-20-2018 08:31 PM

Arkansas defeats Texas Tech to advance to the Final Four. Texas Tech falls to the loser's bracket and will face Florida in an elimination game. The winner will have to beat Arkansas twice to advance to the finals.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - JRsec - 06-20-2018 08:45 PM

(06-20-2018 08:31 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Arkansas defeats Texas Tech to advance to the Final Four. Texas Tech falls to the loser's bracket and will face Florida in an elimination game. The winner will have to beat Arkansas twice to advance to the finals.

I believe the winners of this elimination game crossover and play the undefeated team of the opposite bracket. I could be mistaken but I think that's something that they implemented a few years back.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-20-2018 08:50 PM

(06-20-2018 08:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 08:31 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Arkansas defeats Texas Tech to advance to the Final Four. Texas Tech falls to the loser's bracket and will face Florida in an elimination game. The winner will have to beat Arkansas twice to advance to the finals.

I believe the winners of this elimination game crossover and play the undefeated team of the opposite bracket. I could be mistaken but I think that's something that they implemented a few years back.

They didn't last year (see below) so maybe they have changed it for this year?

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1/2017/cws

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - JRsec - 06-20-2018 08:54 PM

(06-20-2018 08:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 08:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

They didn't last year (see below) so maybe they have changed it for this year?

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d1/2017/cws

No, I pulled up the bracket and it looks like the play remains in the original bracket. So evidently your first assertion is correct. The winner of UNC/OSU will face Mississippi State and the winner of Florida/TTU will face Arkansas.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-20-2018 11:47 PM

Oregon State eliminates North Carolina to advance to the final four and will play Mississippi State.

Oregon State has to beat Mississippi State twice to advance to the finals.

I'm scared of Oregon State. IMO, they have the team to do just that, and win the title too.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - bullet - 06-21-2018 06:24 AM

(06-20-2018 11:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Oregon State eliminates North Carolina to advance to the final four and will play Mississippi State.

I'm scared of Oregon State. IMO, they have the team to do just that, and win the title too.

So far in elimination games, the higher seed has won.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-21-2018 08:43 AM

(06-21-2018 06:24 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-20-2018 11:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Oregon State eliminates North Carolina to advance to the final four and will play Mississippi State.

Last year, Oregon State was dominant, #1 national seed, an astonishing 56-4 at this point, and seemed sure to make the final, but LSU shocked them with two wins in the semis.

Maybe this time they can win two?

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - JRsec - 06-21-2018 10:50 AM

(06-21-2018 08:43 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 06:24 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Last year, Oregon State was dominant, #1 national seed, an astonishing 56-4 at this point, and seemed sure to make the final, but LSU shocked them with two wins in the semis.

Maybe this time they can win two?

Mississippi State wasn't a seeded school. They were at large. So the so far the higher seed has won the elimination games is relatively moot. Yes the higher seeds have taken the elimination games. But the school that wins will fall into one of two categories moving forward and seeding or ranking will have nothing to do with it. They will either (a) have the deeper bullpen, or (b) they in the case of mutually depleted pitching will have the best hitting and/or slugging lineup.

Mississippi State's bullpen is pretty deep at this point when compared to Oregon State's. But Oregon State is the better hitting/slugging team although State's not bad.

In the case of Florida vs Texas Tech the Gators have the much deeper pitching staff, but Tech is by far the better hitting and slugging team.

I'd say we were in for one more good loser's bracket games. I really like Arkansas's chances to take their bracket, so the ultimate wild card is how far can Oregon State slug their way in this tournament?

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - JRsec - 06-21-2018 11:01 PM

Florida 9 Texas Tech 6 Texas Tech eliminated.

Tomorrow's Games:

Mississippi State versus Oregon State (Beavers must win twice to advance Bulldogs need only win once).

Arkansas versus Florida (Gators must win twice to advance Razorbacks need only win once).

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-21-2018 11:04 PM

(06-21-2018 11:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Florida 9 Texas Tech 6 Texas Tech eliminated.

Tomorrow's Games:

Mississippi State versus Oregon State (Beavers must win twice to advance Bulldogs need only win once).

Arkansas versus Florida (Gators must win twice to advance Razorbacks need only win once).

Wow, 3 SEC teams in the final 4. Impressive, though i think Oregon State will win it.

Give Florida credit, they have vigorously defended their title.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - MKPitt - 06-21-2018 11:10 PM

The SEC and PAC-12 continue to dominate college baseball. The ACC always seems to underperform in the tournament excluding the recent UVA win.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - JRsec - 06-22-2018 01:54 AM

(06-21-2018 11:04 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-21-2018 11:01 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Florida 9 Texas Tech 6 Texas Tech eliminated.

Tomorrow's Games:

Wow, 3 SEC teams in the final 4. Impressive, though i think Oregon State will win it.

Give Florida credit, they have vigorously defended their title.

You are not giving Arkansas enough credit I think. Also, Mississippi State is rested and has good pitching, a deep pen, and they can slug as well. It isn't going to be Beaver friendly tomorrow, but I admit they have a better chance than Florida I think.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - quo vadis - 06-22-2018 08:14 AM

(06-21-2018 11:10 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  The SEC and PAC-12 continue to dominate college baseball. The ACC always seems to underperform in the tournament excluding the recent UVA win.

Yes, IIRC, the UVA win is the only national title the ACC has ever won. Amazing given how many teams they put in the tourney.

RE: College World Series ... pairings announced - sierrajip - 06-22-2018 04:21 PM

And to think UCF beat UF twice this year.