CSNbbs
The problem with college football's postseason - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: The problem with college football's postseason (/thread-851739.html)

The problem with college football's postseason - mikeinoki - 06-14-2018 07:43 AM

Article from USA TODAY highlighting the deficiencies of bowl games and the CFP not matching "G5" with "P5." LINK

Quote:Meanwhile, longstanding bowl tie-ins lead to repetitive rematches between conferences. Michigan has faced South Carolina in bowl play twice in the past five years, for example. I think we can all agree that once was enough.

Therein lies the biggest weakness of the postseason: The ever-decreasing number of bowl games pitting teams from the Power Five against the Group of Five makes a sham of bowl play and highlights the growing divide separating the haves from college football’s have-nots.

One of college football’s biggest dilemmas isn’t the lack of a Cinderella but the complete redefinition of the word. For the Football Bowl Subdivision, Cinderella isn’t Central Florida getting a shot at the national championship, since UCF and its ilk will never get that shot. It’s the idea that 2015 Iowa, for example, is college football’s new version of a feel-good underdog.

Bowl season highlights this idea: Group of Five teams can’t play Cinderella simply because they don’t get the chance.

The article also has some thoughts on the G5 playoff idea.
Quote:There’s been some talk among Group of Five administrators, if always in whispers and rarely taken seriously, about branching out and creating a championship format separate from the Power Five. That’s a ridiculous idea that would only serve to hurt non-major programs and conferences, in their wallets most of all.

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - C2__ - 06-15-2018 07:37 AM

In other breaking news, the sun is rising...from the east!

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - Chappy - 06-15-2018 08:38 AM

I think the thing that the TV networks need to realize is that just because the power conferences have a large number of followers does not mean that there isn't a large number of people following the other division 1 conferences. They seem to think that Ohio State is the Yankees and Cincinnati is the Charleston River Dogs, but that's just not the case.

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - rosewater - 06-15-2018 09:08 AM

(06-15-2018 07:37 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  In other breaking news, the sun is rising...from the east!

Right, but I think that part of his message is that a major newspaper is finally recognizing the problem. This is news.

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - TIGERCITY - 06-15-2018 09:16 AM

Until the Power 5 see thus as a problem nothing will change imo. And why would they change it?

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - billybobby777 - 06-15-2018 09:31 AM

(06-14-2018 07:43 AM)mikeinoki Wrote:  Article from USA TODAY highlighting the deficiencies of bowl games and the CFP not matching "G5" with "P5." LINK

Quote:Meanwhile, longstanding bowl tie-ins lead to repetitive rematches between conferences. Michigan has faced South Carolina in bowl play twice in the past five years, for example. I think we can all agree that once was enough.

Therein lies the biggest weakness of the postseason: The ever-decreasing number of bowl games pitting teams from the Power Five against the Group of Five makes a sham of bowl play and highlights the growing divide separating the haves from college football’s have-nots.

One of college football’s biggest dilemmas isn’t the lack of a Cinderella but the complete redefinition of the word. For the Football Bowl Subdivision, Cinderella isn’t Central Florida getting a shot at the national championship, since UCF and its ilk will never get that shot. It’s the idea that 2015 Iowa, for example, is college football’s new version of a feel-good underdog.

Bowl season highlights this idea: Group of Five teams can’t play Cinderella simply because they don’t get the chance.

The article also has some thoughts on the G5 playoff idea.
Quote:There’s been some talk among Group of Five administrators, if always in whispers and rarely taken seriously, about branching out and creating a championship format separate from the Power Five. That’s a ridiculous idea that would only serve to hurt non-major programs and conferences, in their wallets most of all.

Great article and true. A 6-6 Texas vs a 10-2 Houston won’t happen in a bowl because a 6-6 Texas will play a 6-6 Indiana instead. A 10-2 Boise won’t get to play a 7-5 Oklahoma because the bowls will match a 7-5 Oklahoma with a 7-5 Washington St. dumb, dumb dumb...

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - DownOnRohs - 06-15-2018 10:20 AM

(06-15-2018 08:38 AM)Chappy Wrote:  I think the thing that the TV networks need to realize is that just because the power conferences have a large number of followers does not mean that there isn't a large number of people following the other division 1 conferences. They seem to think that Ohio State is the Yankees and Cincinnati is the Charleston River Dogs, but that's just not the case.

It's maddening. Ohio is a BIG ******* state. But somehow the ACC with their 7 schools in the state of North Carolina is exponentially more valuable? FOH

RE: The problem with college football's postseason - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 06-15-2018 04:30 PM

The problem with FBS postseason is so many bowl games that I've stopped watching. I'll be honest, most years I barely have interest in the Coogs bowl game.

UH-SDSU? Meh.
UH-Pitt? Meh... Until turned into one of the greatest comebacks in bowl history.

Most bowl games are throw away games to be honest. For every UH-FSU Peach Bowl there are ten UH-Kansas/Air Force/Vanderbilt/etc