CSNbbs
Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic (/thread-851820.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 11:30 AM

Link

Raises the question of who is ultimately to blame. The doctor writing the prescription, the pharmacy filling it, or the user tossing the pills down.

Quote:Thursday's complaint, filed in Boone County, claims that for more than 10 years, Walgreens (WBA) filled "massive" and "suspicious" orders of opioids and failed to report them to authorities or put a stop to the shipments.

Beshear wants Walgreens to stop "over-dispensing opioids" and "filling suspicious orders." He also wants the company to pay back the amount it earned from the allegedly illegal gains.

Walgreens declined to comment on the pending litigation.

Related: The opioid crisis is draining America's workforce

Beshear said in a statement on Thursday that Walgreens has "significantly harmed the health of our families in fueling the opioid epidemic."

He has filed a number of lawsuits over the state's health crisis. This year, he sued drug maker Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) as well as opioid distributors AmerisourceBergen (ABC), Cardinal Health (CAH) and McKesson Corporation (MCK) over their alleged roles in Kentucky's epidemic.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - Lord Stanley - 06-15-2018 11:36 AM

Few are guilty, but all are responsible.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - CliftonAve - 06-15-2018 11:37 AM

Likely all the above. KY is a pure comparative negligence stare. They get 1% of fault apportioned against the pharmacy they’ll collect.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - Kronke - 06-15-2018 11:43 AM

Pharmacists are trained to spot suspicious fills that are being alleged. It may not be a completely frivolous lawsuit.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - EverRespect - 06-15-2018 12:00 PM

I got the 3rd degree from Walgreens trying to fill a script of Oxycodone after surgery. Told him to phuck off and took it to Rite Aid. Hadn't had such a script in several years, but the pharmacist needs to mind their own phucking business. It isn't any of his business why a doctor prescribed the medicine. 3 years later I tore my rotator cuff and the doc refused to give me a script. She wouldn't even give me a non-narcotic pain pill... offered an anti-inflammatory shot that I paid over $100 for and didn't do anything. As a result, I didn't sleep for 2 weeks and my work suffered because my mind doesn't function off no sleep. So in the last 6 years, I have had one script and had to go to 2 pharmacies to get it filled. I am all about flagging abusers, but if I am an adult, not an abuser, and want a script so I can sleep with a torn muscle or after a tooth extraction, what is the problem? I can't get proper care because some people are junkies? This schit is getting out of hand.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 12:10 PM

(06-15-2018 12:00 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I got the 3rd degree from Walgreens trying to fill a script of Oxycodone after surgery. Told him to phuck off and took it to Rite Aid. Hadn't had such a script in several years, but the pharmacist needs to mind their own phucking business. It isn't any of his business why a doctor prescribed the medicine. 3 years later I tore my rotator cuff and the doc refused to give me a script. She wouldn't even give me a non-narcotic pain pill... offered an anti-inflammatory shot that I paid over $100 for and didn't do anything. As a result, I didn't sleep for 2 weeks and my work suffered because my mind doesn't function off no sleep. So in the last 6 years, I have had one script and had to go to 2 pharmacies to get it filled. I am all about flagging abusers, but if I am an adult, not an abuser, and want a script so I can sleep with a torn muscle or after a tooth extraction, what is the problem? I can't get proper care because some people are junkies? This schit is getting out of hand.

It's because of law suits like this and the DEA going after doctor's that over prescribe. They don't give a damn about your health or if you turn into a junkie, they are just protecting their license

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 12:12 PM

If you ever want to watch a documentary around the time this all started getting out of hand check out The Oxycontin Express

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - UofMstateU - 06-15-2018 12:15 PM

(06-15-2018 12:00 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I got the 3rd degree from Walgreens trying to fill a script of Oxycodone after surgery. Told him to phuck off and took it to Rite Aid. Hadn't had such a script in several years, but the pharmacist needs to mind their own phucking business. It isn't any of his business why a doctor prescribed the medicine. 3 years later I tore my rotator cuff and the doc refused to give me a script. She wouldn't even give me a non-narcotic pain pill... offered an anti-inflammatory shot that I paid over $100 for and didn't do anything. As a result, I didn't sleep for 2 weeks and my work suffered because my mind doesn't function off no sleep. So in the last 6 years, I have had one script and had to go to 2 pharmacies to get it filled. I am all about flagging abusers, but if I am an adult, not an abuser, and want a script so I can sleep with a torn muscle or after a tooth extraction, what is the problem? I can't get proper care because some people are junkies? This schit is getting out of hand.

Pharmacies are required by law to vet out certain prescriptions. If a pharmacist gave you a lot of sh*t about a prescription, then you probably need to change doctors.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - EverRespect - 06-15-2018 12:17 PM

(06-15-2018 12:15 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Pharmacies are required by law to vet out certain prescriptions. If a pharmacist gave you a lot of sh*t about a prescription, then you probably need to change doctors.
Then the law needs to change. And it was a dentist. They do root canals and extractions all day and prescribe a lot of pain pills. It is not "suspicious".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - UofMstateU - 06-15-2018 12:20 PM

(06-15-2018 12:17 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 12:15 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Then the law needs to change.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Then change the law, and change it so that the entity cant be sued for minding their own business like you want them to. But you need to stop getting bent out of shape over people doing their job as required by the law, whether its a pharmacist or a cop patrolling the beach and catching underaged kids with alcohol.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - WKUYG - 06-15-2018 12:23 PM

The government might want to start limiting the amount of cigs a company can make and a store can sell.

Same goes for beer
same goes for wine
same goes for liquor

each affect our medical cost more than any pain pill ever could
each kills more people than pain meds and especially the low to med range opioids
each puts a strain on our state and federal resources than low to med range diploids
each is responsible for more addiction than all opioids put together

Why should people in pain suffer because of addicts? There are government rules and laws to cover the abuse. But the government will not be satisfied till it's almost impossible to get pain meds.

A addict is a addict and if they can't get their fix ......

they move on to the next thing that makes their body feel good. It's the same with all addicts even those in the above. If you cut off cigs, they would go black market. Cut off liquor, black market or grow/make their own.

A addict is a addict....

treat the addiction and when you do that find those people a job that makes them think their life is OK. Unless you change both of those. A addict is going to find something to make them feel better and all the rules or laws in the world is not going to change that.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 12:53 PM

(06-15-2018 12:23 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

The government might want to start limiting the amount of cigs a company can make and a store can sell.

Same goes for beer
same goes for wine
same goes for liquor

each affect our medical cost more than any pain pill ever could
each kills more people than pain meds and especially the low to med range opioids
each puts a strain on our state and federal resources than low to med range diploids
each is responsible for more addiction than all opioids put together

Why should people in pain suffer because of addicts? There are government rules and laws to cover the abuse. But the government will not be satisfied till it's almost impossible to get pain meds.

A addict is a addict and if they can't get their fix ......

they move on to the next thing that makes their body feel good. It's the same with all addicts even those in the above. If you cut off cigs, they would go black market. Cut off liquor, black market or grow/make their own.

A addict is a addict....

treat the addiction and when you do that find those people a job that makes them think their life is OK. Unless you change both of those. A addict is going to find something to make them feel better and all the rules or laws in the world is not going to change that.

I agree with you to a degree. There needs to be much harsher punishments on addicts with children. My wife is neonatal intensive care nurse the amount of junkies having babies horribly addicted is so sad. If I call up to her work you can always hear the NAS babies screaming, its a very distinct cry. These pieces of ****, if they get any sort of pre-natal health care, will get on suboxone to "ween" themselves off but they always test positive for other things.

9/10 they never get charges and they leave with their infant just to repeat the process in a year or two.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - banker - 06-15-2018 01:07 PM

What about this?

https://futurism.com/west-virginia-town-3000-received-21-million-opioid-pills-10-years/

"An ongoing investigation by the House Energy and Commerce Committee has found that drug companies are dumping staggering amounts of highly addictive and dangerous opioid pills into small towns in West Virginia. Over the course of ten years (2006 – 2016) nearly 21 million pills of hydrocodone and oxycodone were sent to just two pharmacies in Williamson, West Virginia, a tiny town with a population of only 3,191, according to the latest census data."

Can't tell me that the drug companies and the pharmacies aren't to blame here.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 01:16 PM

(06-15-2018 01:07 PM)banker Wrote:  What about this?

https://futurism.com/west-virginia-town-3000-received-21-million-opioid-pills-10-years/

"An ongoing investigation by the House Energy and Commerce Committee has found that drug companies are dumping staggering amounts of highly addictive and dangerous opioid pills into small towns in West Virginia. Over the course of ten years (2006 – 2016) nearly 21 million pills of hydrocodone and oxycodone were sent to just two pharmacies in Williamson, West Virginia, a tiny town with a population of only 3,191, according to the latest census data."

I think it's a slippery slope. The pharmacies are simply supplying a demand created by legal prescriptions. Do we really want to live in a world where pharmaceutical companies limit supplies of certain drugs based on public perception?

The doctor's writing these ridiculous prescriptions need to be held accountable. In the documentary I mentioned above these pill mill docs in florida were writing prescriptions for 300 80mg oxys. That is just absolutely insane.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - WKUYG - 06-15-2018 02:23 PM

Sorry for such a long post but this subject is something near and dear to me....so I had to get my say. Even if it's not read.

At some point this war becomes a cause and affect in a cycle that when you try to over govern it it creates a whole new problem. Then after a number of years big business (not just drug companies) have billions invested in one part of the never ending cycle.

Now here is what I'm talking about

You start with a drug , lets just say drug, and not just limit it to pain meds. So you have a drug and the drug companies entice doctors into prescribing it as the new wonder drug. This is why you see new addiction problems every 5 to 10 years. While the drug helps a lot of people and most of those taking the drug dont misuse it.....some do.

At some point the government gets involved making new laws and putting addicts in jail by the thousands across the country. This creates a demand for more prison beds and when that gets over ran, more county jail beds to house the state prisoners till a bed opens up. Before long you have large jails that are about twice to three times the beds needed for the county. I will get back to that in a moment but want to touch on a new industry that pops up out of the ever growing prison system.....

Private canteens. Those companies have grown into billions of dollars with the explosion of prisoners. Some supply jails with meals and some supply prisoners with canteen and make no mistake about it. People in jail and prison LOVE canteen day and they spend huge amounts of money on over price stock that is 25 to 50% higher than on the streets. I think President Bush's family is a major stock holder in one company.

Lets get back to jails and not only do you have county jails 3x what's needed you also have private prisons popping up to take care of the number of people going to prison. Not only strictly drugs but also from other crimes from drug use and if you are still with me I'm getting to that part .

So after 20 years or soon this war on drugs the government imprisoning millions of people on drug and drug related charges has created multi billion dollar private companies that have a stake in making sure there's enough people to fill those beds. You have counties that spent millions and 10s of millions of dollars on large high tech jails that have a vested interest in making sure those beds are being filled.

Now I will tie it all together to drugs and addiction and make no mistake most of the problems we see today are tied into three things. Drugs. Addiction. Government

Early on the street price for a drug is low so you have addicts that's OK with the price and can feed their addiction. At some point in any drug that is addictive and not just opioids. The government is going to create new laws and make it a target. That does two things. First it sends the price higher and higher and that addict is going to do everything they can to get their drug of choice.

So you start seeing theft crimes going up. You start seeing birth rates going up in addicts...it's easier for a girl that is addict to share someone else drugs by spreading her legs than paying $60 for a hit of oxycontin. Hell I know 18 to 20 year old girls that will blow you for 2 hydrocodone 10s that has a street value of $8 each. These are not your hard looking addicts.

Anyways not only are prison beds being filled by the millions on addicts but also other crime created by the higher market cost of the governments crackdown on limiting the numbers of a drug. Before oxycontin it was morphine and dilaudids that the harder cord pill popper addicts wanted....

well till the street price went up to about $1.5 dollars a MG so about $90 for 60mg. Those people moved on to the next best thing when oxycontin started hitting the streets. Make it too hard to get any drugs in that class and people move on to the street drugs like Heroin. Today we are seeing record numbers coming back for Heroin users.

oxycontin, morphine, and dilaudids, heroin are drugs that are mostly shot up which causes a whole new class of problems. One that my brother found out. It killed his liver and luckily he did get a liver transplant when he was with in hours of dying. Luckily also after one relapse two years after the transplant (just pills, no shooting up)he's drug free for the last 5 years.

Then when you make something so hard to get people fall back to something they can make or get cheap enough from the huge supplies crossing our borders....Meth.

If anyone has made it this far (which I doubt) I'm going to end this and tie it all together. In our war on drugs we have created a country of addicts as criminals with prison records. We did that because to fight this war our government did it with laws. Laws that created the need for huge numbers of jail and prison beds. Once you get billions and billions and billions of dollars tied up in the private sector and counties....

it's not easy to step away from the pressure of needing to make sure those beds are full. It defeats the purpose of figuring out treatment. One of the reasons treatment is hard to work today once you get that record it much harder to over come today than 20 or 30 years ago. Hell go by any older motel (any city large or small) and you will see they are doing great. Those rooms are being filled by people who's paying $850 a month because housing is hard after you been to prison on drug charges....

Is there a drug problem? Yes, but there a lot bigger problem with our government fighting this battle with more and more laws. Laws that we tax payers are spending billions of dollars on when treatment and job placement/skill training would be a lot less.

As I said it's a cycle and not just drug use but a cycle our government created and to many important people would lose billions if those beds go unused.

A addict is a addiction and it doesn't have to be a crime. We all like to say this is a different world today than 30 years ago. Well this is one of the major reasons. Again Sorry for such a long post but this is one area that I been involved with for a long time. I've seen many family members die from addiction and not the so call "drugs" , some yes. I've seen family and friend go to prison for this. I've also had many former addicts that have worked for me over the last 40 years. Some the best and hardest worker you will ever see....

you treat addiction by tackling the problem. By tackling the family life. By getting that person in another frame of life. Prison does not do that...it creates more and more addicts

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - bobdizole - 06-15-2018 02:49 PM

(06-15-2018 02:23 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Sorry for such a long post but this subject is something near and dear to me....so I had to get my say. Even if it's not read.

At some point this war becomes a cause and affect in a cycle that when you try to over govern it it creates a whole new problem. Then after a number of years big business (not just drug companies) have billions invested in one part of the never ending cycle.

Now here is what I'm talking about

You start with a drug , lets just say drug, and not just limit it to pain meds. So you have a drug and the drug companies entice doctors into prescribing it as the new wonder drug. This is why you see new addiction problems every 5 to 10 years. While the drug helps a lot of people and most of those taking the drug dont misuse it.....some do.

At some point the government gets involved making new laws and putting addicts in jail by the thousands across the country. This creates a demand for more prison beds and when that gets over ran, more county jail beds to house the state prisoners till a bed opens up. Before long you have large jails that are about twice to three times the beds needed for the county. I will get back to that in a moment but want to touch on a new industry that pops up out of the ever growing prison system.....

Private canteens. Those companies have grown into billions of dollars with the explosion of prisoners. Some supply jails with meals and some supply prisoners with canteen and make no mistake about it. People in jail and prison LOVE canteen day and they spend huge amounts of money on over price stock that is 25 to 50% higher than on the streets. I think President Bush's family is a major stock holder in one company.

Lets get back to jails and not only do you have county jails 3x what's needed you also have private prisons popping up to take care of the number of people going to prison. Not only strictly drugs but also from other crimes from drug use and if you are still with me I'm getting to that part .

So after 20 years or soon this war on drugs the government imprisoning millions of people on drug and drug related charges has created multi billion dollar private companies that have a stake in making sure there's enough people to fill those beds. You have counties that spent millions and 10s of millions of dollars on large high tech jails that have a vested interest in making sure those beds are being filled.

Now I will tie it all together to drugs and addiction and make no mistake most of the problems we see today are tied into three things. Drugs. Addiction. Government

Early on the street price for a drug is low so you have addicts that's OK with the price and can feed their addiction. At some point in any drug that is addictive and not just opioids. The government is going to create new laws and make it a target. That does two things. First it sends the price higher and higher and that addict is going to do everything they can to get their drug of choice.

So you start seeing theft crimes going up. You start seeing birth rates going up in addicts...it's easier for a girl that is addict to share someone else drugs by spreading her legs than paying $60 for a hit of oxycontin. Hell I know 18 to 20 year old girls that will blow you for 2 hydrocodone 10s that has a street value of $8 each. These are not your hard looking addicts.

Anyways not only are prison beds being filled by the millions on addicts but also other crime created by the higher market cost of the governments crackdown on limiting the numbers of a drug. Before oxycontin it was morphine and dilaudids that the harder cord pill popper addicts wanted....

well till the street price went up to about $1.5 dollars a MG so about $90 for 60mg. Those people moved on to the next best thing when oxycontin started hitting the streets. Make it too hard to get any drugs in that class and people move on to the street drugs like Heroin. Today we are seeing record numbers coming back for Heroin users.

oxycontin, morphine, and dilaudids, heroin are drugs that are mostly shot up which causes a whole new class of problems. One that my brother found out. It killed his liver and luckily he did get a liver transplant when he was with in hours of dying. Luckily also after one relapse two years after the transplant (just pills, no shooting up)he's drug free for the last 5 years.

Then when you make something so hard to get people fall back to something they can make or get cheap enough from the huge supplies crossing our borders....Meth.

If anyone has made it this far (which I doubt) I'm going to end this and tie it all together. In our war on drugs we have created a country of addicts as criminals with prison records. We did that because to fight this war our government did it with laws. Laws that created the need for huge numbers of jail and prison beds. Once you get billions and billions and billions of dollars tied up in the private sector and counties....

it's not easy to step away from the pressure of needing to make sure those beds are full. It defeats the purpose of figuring out treatment. One of the reasons treatment is hard to work today once you get that record it much harder to over come today than 20 or 30 years ago. Hell go by any older motel (any city large or small) and you will see they are doing great. Those rooms are being filled by people who's paying $850 a month because housing is hard after you been to prison on drug charges....

Is there a drug problem? Yes, but there a lot bigger problem with our government fighting this battle with more and more laws. Laws that we tax payers are spending billions of dollars on when treatment and job placement/skill training would be a lot less.

As I said it's a cycle and not just drug use but a cycle our government created and to many important people would lose billions if those beds go unused.

A addict is a addiction and it doesn't have to be a crime. We all like to say this is a different world today than 30 years ago. Well this is one of the major reasons. Again Sorry for such a long post but this is one area that I been involved with for a long time. I've seen many family members die from addiction and not the so call "drugs" , some yes. I've seen family and friend go to prison for this. I've also had many former addicts that have worked for me over the last 40 years. Some the best and hardest worker you will ever see....

you treat addiction by tackling the problem. By tackling the family life. By getting that person in another frame of life. Prison does not do that...it creates more and more addicts

Excellent post, very glad to hear your brother escaped with his life. Too many friends of mine did not

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - JDTulane - 06-15-2018 02:53 PM

Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic
Book by Sam Quinones

Is a great book outlining how we got to the epidemic we're at right now.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - banker - 06-15-2018 03:04 PM

(06-15-2018 01:16 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 01:07 PM)banker Wrote:  What about this?

I think it's a slippery slope. The pharmacies are simply supplying a demand created by legal prescriptions. Do we really want to live in a world where pharmaceutical companies limit supplies of certain drugs based on public perception?

The doctor's writing these ridiculous prescriptions need to be held accountable. In the documentary I mentioned above these pill mill docs in florida were writing prescriptions for 300 80mg oxys. That is just absolutely insane.

There is no slippery slope here. You had pharmacies dispense 2 pills per day, pre resident (every man woman and child, including infants) for 10 straight years. The pharmacies have to know this is not legit. They have a responsibility to report it, doctors aren't going to self report their scripts for cash. The distribution company has to report it, they know a town with 3,000 people shouldn't need 2.1 million of these pills a year. The government needs to be quicker to investigate. they get the data that tracks every one of these pills from manufacturing till its dispensed.

Because of the money involved, the doctors, pharmacies, distributors, drug companies and government enforcement are all looking the other way.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - EverRespect - 06-15-2018 03:22 PM

Maybe I'm just too old, but I know of nobody that is or has been addicted to opiates. In HS, some kids may have taken a Vicodin from their parents' medicine cabinet and popped it before a party from time to time, but they were never sold. I had a pretty low point in my life in the late 90s that I am not proud of where I snorted some coke (not habitually) and was around and experimented with some other pretty hard schit, but I have not so much as been in the same room as heroin.

RE: Kentucky sues Walgreens over opiod epidemic - JDTulane - 06-15-2018 03:32 PM

Opiate over prescribing hit it's hayday in the 90s with oxycontin slow release being developed and advertised as non addictive to doctors and patients. Over prescribing in the late 90s and early 2000s without knowledge of repercussions led the beginnings of opioid addiction. Cheaper products for addicts like heroin has led to the current crisis we have now. Black tar heroin emergence (stronger, uncut) is what typically leads to overdoses you read about.

Many are to blame. Pharm companies for misleading doctors on addictive qualities, ad agencies that push the drugs, hospitals for under training doctors, doctors for over prescribing/creating pill mills/letting patients over dictate treatment, and patients for taking pills without due diligence and taking pills for unnecessary reasons.

It's quite a mess. Addiction is biological and we have misappropriated funding to prisons when we need more mental health professionals, rehab centers, and education for both patient and hospitalist.