CSNbbs
CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+---- Thread: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 (/thread-851915.html)

CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - sctvman - 06-17-2018 05:35 PM

The CAA basketball tournament is expected to move to Washington DC and the new 4,200 seat Mystics arena starting in 2020. They voted on it last week at the league meetings.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/caa-basketball-tournament-expected-to-move-to-washington-d-c/article_c5d0c6ac-700f-11e8-ad9e-9bb4e1c89e40.html

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - EvanJ - 06-18-2018 08:47 PM

This year the tournament was Saturday to Tuesday for the first time. The article says the 2019 Tournament will be March 8 to 11, which is Friday to Monday.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - J.B. - 06-19-2018 08:01 AM

(06-18-2018 08:47 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  This year the tournament was Saturday to Tuesday for the first time. The article says the 2019 Tournament will be March 8 to 11, which is Friday to Monday.

Interesting....
The tournament dates were changed last year to accommodate CBSSN so they could televise the semi-finals and final game. Could this be foreshadowing to a revised TV contract with a different network?

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - solohawks - 06-19-2018 09:19 AM

(06-19-2018 08:01 AM)J.B. Wrote:  
(06-18-2018 08:47 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  This year the tournament was Saturday to Tuesday for the first time. The article says the 2019 Tournament will be March 8 to 11, which is Friday to Monday.

Interesting....
The tournament dates were changed last year to accommodate CBSSN so they could televise the semi-finals and final game. Could this be foreshadowing to a revised TV contract with a different network?

That would be wonderful
Maybe they realized a Tuesday championship game is dumb.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - TDenverFan - 06-19-2018 05:53 PM

I like the move. Not a perfect plan, but I think the best option.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - EvanJ - 06-20-2018 06:19 PM

(06-19-2018 09:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Maybe they realized a Tuesday championship game is dumb.
I read that the tournaments in DC will be Saturday to Tuesday. It's possible that the dates were typed wrong or that the dates will be determined by a future TV contract.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - solohawks - 06-21-2018 07:27 AM

(06-20-2018 06:19 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(06-19-2018 09:19 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Maybe they realized a Tuesday championship game is dumb.
I read that the tournaments in DC will be Saturday to Tuesday. It's possible that the dates were typed wrong or that the dates will be determined by a future TV contract.

I figured that was the most likely case.

In a 4K seat arena, the day of the week isn't as important cause it will most likely be full.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - J.B. - 06-21-2018 12:43 PM

Thoughts about the capacity issue.

I'm wondering if they plan to eliminate doubleheaders and have each game be a single session. There are always a lot of empty seats at tournament games from the fans who have tickets a game that they're not interested in seeing. Maybe they'll cut down on the sale of all tournament passes and only sell tickets through the schools for the teams who are playing in each game.

Imagine how awesome the atmosphere will be at each game if every game is packed to capacity and 90% of the fans at each game have a strong rooting interest.

RE: CAA tourney expected to move to DC in ‘20 - EvanJ - 06-22-2018 09:35 AM

I don't see them having four separate admissions in one place in one day. This would be extra labor in security and ticket scans or collections, and they would also have to be careful that fans don't try to stick around to games they don't have tickets for. Alternatively, the Quarterfinals could be done in two days, but then some teams would have a rest advantage in the Semifinals. Can anybody find an example of a venue having four separate admissions in one day? A unique solution would be to use multiple nearby venues. There could be two separate Quarterfinals in DC and two separate Quarterfinals at Towson or James Madison or have those teams host one Quarterfinal each.