CSNbbs
Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively (/thread-852660.html)

Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - MWC Tex - 06-30-2018 08:52 PM

I'm a few hours early but thought I get the jump on the official date of the move.

Hope their success matches Grand Canyon University.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist to D1 and the WAC! - DoubleRSU - 06-30-2018 09:00 PM

Yes welcome. I believe they were the top performing D2 school for 17- 18.

We do not need any potential WAC expansion talk in this thread. Already been covered, already not happening.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist to D1 and the WAC! - NoDak - 06-30-2018 09:01 PM

They got a cup proving that their the best program in DII overall. Their new arena blows out UC Riverside’s. Have all the earmarks of future success.

Welcome Cal Baptist to D1 and the WAC! - Jjoey52 - 06-30-2018 10:15 PM

I used to drive by their campus on the way home from work in the 80s. It was very small, and only took a couple blocks for it. Never thought they would be a D1 program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist to D1 and the WAC! - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-30-2018 10:56 PM

Cal Baptist will hit the ground running like Northern Kentucky once they become eligible. Savvy add by the WAC.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist to D1 and the WAC! - RandomFan - 07-01-2018 01:20 AM

North Alabama is now a D1 member as well in the ASUN.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - MWC Tex - 07-01-2018 09:30 AM

(07-01-2018 01:20 AM)RandomFan Wrote:  North Alabama is now a D1 member as well in the ASUN.

Thanks! I've changed the title to reflect that.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - The Cutter of Bish - 07-01-2018 09:46 AM

I can see some potential friction down the road with the WCC and CBU. Cal Baptist has better facilities than some of the current members, but is there a need for another school from that area of CA? Whereas Seattle is said to have some support in the conference, but Gonzaga wanting no part of them.

CBU has a much higher ceiling than WAC...but where is it if it isn’t immediately present?

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - Coach Bonez89 - 07-01-2018 10:15 AM

It is a happy day in the Muscle Shoals area, as the Lions are now Division 1. A move that should've occurred nearly three decades ago, but better late than never. Natural rivals like Jacksonville State can now be home and home series. But also, they can play occasionally against former rival, FBS member Troy. This game hadn't been possible until UNA joins Division 1 today. This due to NCAA rules that now prohibit Division 2 schools playing FBS/ 1-A teams. Ironically enough, UNA was the last such school to defeat an FBS school, before the rule went into effect in the mid 90s

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - Lopes87 - 07-01-2018 11:36 AM

(07-01-2018 09:46 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I can see some potential friction down the road with the WCC and CBU. Cal Baptist has better facilities than some of the current members, but is there a need for another school from that area of CA? Whereas Seattle is said to have some support in the conference, but Gonzaga wanting no part of them.

CBU has a much higher ceiling than WAC...but where is it if it isn’t immediately present?

There are 4 schools in the WAC that have higher ceilings and better facilities than half if not everyone outside of the top3 WCC schools.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - jdgaucho - 07-01-2018 12:10 PM

(07-01-2018 11:36 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 09:46 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I can see some potential friction down the road with the WCC and CBU. Cal Baptist has better facilities than some of the current members, but is there a need for another school from that area of CA? Whereas Seattle is said to have some support in the conference, but Gonzaga wanting no part of them.

There are 4 schools in the WAC that have higher ceilings and better facilities than half if not everyone outside of the top3 WCC schools.

Chicago State, UT-RGV, Utah Valley and UMKC have higher ceilings? Umm....

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - MissouriStateBears - 07-01-2018 12:26 PM

Can't forget North Dakota officially to the Summit League
http://thesummitleague.org/general/2018-19/releases/20180614jlzis5

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - Lopes87 - 07-01-2018 12:37 PM

(07-01-2018 12:10 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

GCU NMSU SU CBU are the schools I was talking about.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - North Ala Supporter - 07-01-2018 01:11 PM

(07-01-2018 10:15 AM)Coach Bonez89 Wrote:  It is a happy day in the Muscle Shoals area, as the Lions are now Division 1. A move that should've occurred nearly three decades ago, but better late than never. Natural rivals like Jacksonville State can now be home and home series. But also, they can play occasionally against former rival, FBS member Troy. This game hadn't been possible until UNA joins Division 1 today. This due to NCAA rules that now prohibit Division 2 schools playing FBS/ 1-A teams. Ironically enough, UNA was the last such school to defeat an FBS school, before the rule went into effect in the mid 90s

Absolutely, will be playing Jacksonville State in the future. In football playing Southern Utah and North Dakota State this season. In Basketball schedule to play Gonzaga in December.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - jdgaucho - 07-01-2018 01:12 PM

(07-01-2018 12:37 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 12:10 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

GCU NMSU SU CBU are the schools I was talking about.

I figured. Just a friendly jab.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - DavidSt - 07-01-2018 01:17 PM

North Alabama FCS Independent in football this year.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - TOPSTRAIGHT - 07-02-2018 12:46 AM

Congratulations to North Alabama. Great football tradition and a great area to visit/live.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - Coach Bonez89 - 07-02-2018 06:46 PM

Absolutely, will be playing Jacksonville State in the future. In football playing Southern Utah and North Dakota State this season. In Basketball schedule to play Gonzaga in December.
[/quote]

I meant to mention the game at NDSU. Still not sold on Willis yet, but that will certainly test his coaching ability, early. The Bison are one of the better coached teams in all of Division 1 football.

Gonzaga is a good get for the first year. That is an exciting development. Hoping to see some facilities improvements in Florence. That football legacy is too storied to be sharing a stadium with a high school. I'm hoping you guys can get a campaign going, to change that situation.

RE: Welcome Cal Baptist and North Alabama to D1 and to the WAC/ASUN respectively - lion1983 - 07-03-2018 04:24 PM

(07-02-2018 06:46 PM)Coach Bonez89 Wrote:  Absolutely, will be playing Jacksonville State in the future. In football playing Southern Utah and North Dakota State this season. In Basketball schedule to play Gonzaga in December.

I meant to mention the game at NDSU. Still not sold on Willis yet, but that will certainly test his coaching ability, early. The Bison are one of the better coached teams in all of Division 1 football.

Gonzaga is a good get for the first year. That is an exciting development. Hoping to see some facilities improvements in Florence. That football legacy is too storied to be sharing a stadium with a high school. I'm hoping you guys can get a campaign going, to change that situation.
[/quote]
It's in the works....stay tuned