CSNbbs
Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop (/thread-854525.html)

Pages: 1 2

Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - AGuyIn_Water - 08-02-2018 04:04 AM

Now I am watching requiem for the Big East. It stoke me pretty hard that Big East Tournament was used to be played at MSG and fans from each school would travel to New York.

Is American Hoop ever going to get to that level of old Big East?

If yes, how?

I am a Basketbal guy and I really want American Basketball to be successful.

Cincy, Wichita State, Houston all went to the dance last year.
UConn hired a new coach and Memphis strike gold in Penny.
UCF is going to have a huge year if all are healthy. (Possibly the best team in the conference)
USF seems to turn it around with the new coaching staff especially on the recruiting front
Tulsa is always there and Temple should bounce back.

What would it take for American Basketball to get to the top level, like it once was? A new TV deal? OOC wins? Tourny wins?

If so, how long would it be? Will Basketball be an important part in the new TV deal? Will we get the same exposure with everygame on TV?

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - AGuyIn_Water - 08-02-2018 06:21 AM

American has a great list of coaches.
UConn Dan Hurley
ECU Joe Dooley
Memphis Penny Hardaway
USF Brain Gregory

Those are the new hires of American.
One of the biggest reason why Old Big East became successful was the coaches.

Now American is poised to make a run.

I have an interesting question: how much would our Basketball worth in the next TV deal?

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - goodknightfl - 08-02-2018 06:39 AM

2 cents

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - memphistiger89 - 08-02-2018 06:43 AM

Even if the American gets better in basketball, I don't think there is any way we reach the level of the old Big East. IMO, the Big East was the top basketball conference in the country before it fell apart. That still has to be depressing for Bearcat fans.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - AGuyIn_Water - 08-02-2018 06:51 AM

(08-02-2018 06:43 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  Even if the American gets better in basketball, I don't think there is any way we reach the level of the old Big East. IMO, the Big East was the top basketball conference in the country before it fell apart. That still has to be depressing for Bearcat fans.

But how young are we?

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Stickboy46 - 08-02-2018 07:45 AM

(08-02-2018 06:43 AM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  Even if the American gets better in basketball, I don't think there is any way we reach the level of the old Big East. IMO, the Big East was the top basketball conference in the country before it fell apart. That still has to be depressing for Bearcat fans.

I don't see why not. All the pieces are there. Lots of teams with good to great coaches, good financial support, good facilities. It's all there.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - DownOnRohs - 08-02-2018 07:45 AM

Yeah but at least now we have a chance to win the conference every few years to go with our second round exits.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - BrooklynRocket - 08-02-2018 07:58 AM

Cincy was always a middle of the pack team in the Big East. Their best regular season finish over 8 seasons was 4th. There was always going to be a relative ceiling for us in that conference.

Yes, the Big East match-ups were much more exciting week-in and week-out, but I don't think any Cincy fan is discontent about the current state/direction of AAC basketball.

The chance to become a perennial power in this league alongside strong Memphis, UConn, and Wichita programs (on top of schools like Houston and Temple) is still a very attractive option.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - HuskyU - 08-02-2018 08:02 AM

Having the conference tourney in NYC/the Northeast doesn't make sense given the current geography of the conference. The OBE had 10 members within a 6 hour drive/train of MSG. Also, the majority of OBE alumni lived along the Northeast corridor (Boston/NYC/Philly/DC). That's a big part of why that event was so special.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Chappy - 08-02-2018 08:07 AM

(08-02-2018 08:02 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Having the conference tourney in NYC/the Northeast doesn't make sense given the current geography of the conference. The OBE had 10 members within a 6 hour drive/train of MSG. Also, the majority of OBE alumni lived along the Northeast corridor (Boston/NYC/Philly/DC). That's a big part of why that event was so special.

Correct. A league with the geography of the AAC is going to have a tough time with conference events like the basketball or baseball tournament because the league is so spread out.

Memphis might be the most central location, but how many AAC schools are 'close' to Memphis?

Other conferences that are as spread out, like the SEC or the PAC 12 or the ACC, still have cores of members within a tight area. It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be at an ACC basketball tournament final in Greensboro if Miami and Boston College reached the championship game.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - TripleA - 08-02-2018 08:10 AM

I doubt Big East basketball in its prime will ever be seen again. Those teams are scattered over 3 conferences now. But this can be a very good conference if the perennial powers keep it together (or get it back), and a few others step up.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - megadrone - 08-02-2018 08:33 AM

I think the conference should just select a spot and build it. Memphis seems to be a good spot, or maybe Philadelphia (strong basketball tradition in Philly). have the tournament become a destination. I don't think Orlando is an "it" spot like Memphis or Philly. JMO.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Attackcoog - 08-02-2018 09:08 AM

(08-02-2018 08:07 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 08:02 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Having the conference tourney in NYC/the Northeast doesn't make sense given the current geography of the conference. The OBE had 10 members within a 6 hour drive/train of MSG. Also, the majority of OBE alumni lived along the Northeast corridor (Boston/NYC/Philly/DC). That's a big part of why that event was so special.

Correct. A league with the geography of the AAC is going to have a tough time with conference events like the basketball or baseball tournament because the league is so spread out.

Memphis might be the most central location, but how many AAC schools are 'close' to Memphis?

Other conferences that are as spread out, like the SEC or the PAC 12 or the ACC, still have cores of members within a tight area. It would be interesting to see what the attendance would be at an ACC basketball tournament final in Greensboro if Miami and Boston College reached the championship game.

The AAC has one decent “core” of relatively reasonable geography in the West. It will be interesting to see if the Frisco tournaments do well at drawing fans. That location is about the only location that might be able to draw decently from multiple relatively nearby schools and not rely almost entirely on the local schools .fanbase,

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Tigersmoke4 - 08-02-2018 09:09 AM

(08-02-2018 08:33 AM)megadrone Wrote:  I think the conference should just select a spot and build it. Memphis seems to be a good spot, or maybe Philadelphia (strong basketball tradition in Philly). have the tournament become a destination. I don't think Orlando is an "it" spot like Memphis or Philly. JMO.

With Memphis surging back the tournament should be in Memphis every year. I'm not sure but I think the highest attendance fo6our tournament was in the FedEx forum and a good Memphis team will guarantee good to great fa. Support especially with UCONN and Cincy getting back to form and if Wichita state can maintain a level of strength we should have p5 level fan attendance 04-cheers

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - Moody Magic - 08-02-2018 09:21 AM

The old Big East was never as good as the ACC.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - memphistiger89 - 08-02-2018 09:24 AM

(08-02-2018 09:21 AM)Moody Magic Wrote:  

The old Big East was never as good as the ACC.

I respectfully disagree.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - ShockerFever - 08-02-2018 09:25 AM

(08-02-2018 09:09 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(08-02-2018 08:33 AM)megadrone Wrote:  I think the conference should just select a spot and build it. Memphis seems to be a good spot, or maybe Philadelphia (strong basketball tradition in Philly). have the tournament become a destination. I don't think Orlando is an "it" spot like Memphis or Philly. JMO.

With Memphis surging back the tournament should be in Memphis every year. I'm not sure but I think the highest attendance fo6our tournament was in the FedEx forum and a good Memphis team will guarantee good to great fa. Support especially with UCONN and Cincy getting back to form and if Wichita state can maintain a level of strength we should have p5 level fan attendance 04-cheers

I’m not a big fan of playing conference tournament games on home floors of schools playing in said tournament.

There’s not a P5 tournament out there that does that.

(St Johns has a home court on their campus. MSG is not St John’s true home floor in the NBE)

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - pesik - 08-02-2018 09:41 AM

as far as the only big east, i doubt we will ever get that good.. a big part of what made them good is the large number of members dedicated to basketball.... conference are defined by their top

the aac and New big east had a similar reputations till vill started winning titles..

with such a large number of bball schools multiple teams will was always bound to be in the elite level...syracus is down, well we Georgetown and marquette, ...marquettee and gtown is down, well we got uconn and pitt ..vill, notre dame, providence, st john, so on and so forth...there was no pressure/necessity for any certain team to be elite

the ac needs certain teams to be elite to be seen as good...the only way we become Old big east level, is the "true west division" and add a ton of basketball minded school. like gonzaga, sdsu, unlv, byu etc.

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - MrCincy - 08-02-2018 09:51 AM

(08-02-2018 09:41 AM)pesik Wrote:  as far as the only big east, i doubt we will ever get that good.. a big part of what made them good is the large number of members dedicated to basketball.... conference are defined by their top

the aac and New big east had a similar reputations till vill started winning titles..

with such a large number of bball schools multiple teams will was always bound to be in the elite level...syracus is down, well we Georgetown and marquette, ...marquettee and gtown is down, well we got uconn and pitt ..vill, notre dame, providence, st john, so on and so forth...there was no pressure/necessity for any certain team to be elite

the ac needs certain teams to be elite to be seen as good...the only way we become Old big east level, is the "true west division" and add a ton of basketball minded school. like gonzaga, sdsu, unlv, byu etc.
I agree, the AAC needs to add a few great basketball schools. ( BYU, VCU, UMass, Villanova, SDSU, etc.:. )

RE: Requiem for the "American", AAC Hoop - pesik - 08-02-2018 10:07 AM

but can the aac be an extremely good league (maybe not old big east level but extremely good)...yes

short term:
2018-19 will be questionable/ up in the air....but we should be an extremely good in 19- 20-20
--uconn and memphis should be bringing in multiple espn 100,
--uc already has a 4str/cumberland is only a junior,
--smu will be off scholarship sanctions/should have the best non freshmen big then
--Wichita's 11thy billion freshmen wont be freshmen anymore (only losing 1 player, already have a touted commit)
-- if quinton rose doesnt declared for the nba draft temple should be good aswell
--dejon (top100), hinton (top100) brook (aac 6th man of the year), fabian white (all freshmen) will on still be on roster for houston

long term,
- the league will really become special when ucf and usf become a big enough brand to keep florida recruits home
- to lesser exetent houston, houston is recruiting well (but mostly out of state)..houston (the city) is the second biggest basketball recruiting hot bed in the nation...if houston can become a recruiting force if they harness that