CSNbbs
Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: (/thread-856949.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - JRsec - 09-02-2018 12:25 AM

1. The ranking of 5 Big 10 teams looks suspect. Ohio State and Wisconsin are fine. But Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State may be over ranked.

2. Texas! Another year, another coach, same result.

3. Oklahoma! Another year, another QB, same result.

4. Just how deep is Alabama?

5. Once again Auburn looked exactly like they did in the last two opening games with Clemson. We won today only because Washington is not Clemson. I don't think Auburn is a #9 or Washington a #6. We were ranked based on last season and the network's need to hype games. I'd feel comfortable around #15 for now. Not enough punch at RB to consistently penetrate the D line in the red zone.

6. Louisville's not as bad as they looked.

7. The only thing that stuck out for UCLA was Chip Kelly's belly, alot!

8. Notre Dame is better than their score with Michigan tonight. Michigan is worse than their score.

9. Northwestern's going to be a tough out every week.

10. Georgia's going to be good again.

11. If I had to hazard an early CFP guess it would be the Alabama/Georgia winner, Clemson, the winner of Oklahoma/West Virginia provided they have 1 loss or fewer, and Ohio State. Why? Depth.

12. I wish the danged officials could figure out what is targeting and what is not, and even more I wish the damned announcers who haven't read the rules about it would quit inventing new reasons for it to be called.

IMO, if a QB runs beyond the line of scrimmage and tries to slide down, if the defensive player commits to the tackle before the QB goes down there should be no targeting even if the helmets bump. Launching to hit a defenseless player ought to be called every time. But when a tall DB has to lower his height to stop a shorter ball carrier I don't think it's fair to tag him for targeting because he dipped his head. What the heck is he supposed to do?

Well, list your takeaways and argue all you would like with mine.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Wedge - 09-02-2018 01:52 AM

Hawai'i QB Cole McDonald has 9 TDs passing, 2 TDs rushing, and 846 yards passing in two games. He's just ahead of the pace needed for the single-season record for TD passes, if his team makes it to a bowl game. The record is 58, set in 14 games in 2006, by another Hawai'i QB, Colt Brennan.

Unless Louisville is absolutely terrible, and they're probably not, the only team that is going to beat Alabama is Alabama. It might take a game where the Tide have 6 turnovers, or the other team returns 3 kicks for TDs, or something like that.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - templefootballfan - 09-02-2018 02:21 AM

what is Tex promblem, they have everything
is Liberty for real ? they can buy any open bowl game
Hawaii ready for Pac-14
Kansas fb has to get fixed

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Wedge - 09-02-2018 02:32 AM

(09-02-2018 02:21 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Kansas fb has to get fixed

People who live in glass houses, etc., etc.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - arkstfan - 09-02-2018 02:56 AM

Can't be much joy in the state of Kansas except perverse joy. Kansas fans wanting rid of Beatty probably now have that locked up after the OT loss to an FCS and K-State dodged their own trip to OT so probably some joy they didn't lose to an FCS like Kansas.

Pretty good weekend in Ohio. Cincinnati wins at UCLA, Ohio State thrashes Oregon State, Akron avoids being Scott Frost's possible first victim at Nebraska, Toledo gets a breather vs VMI, Ohio holds off Howard's attempt to get FBS wins in consecutive seasons, Miami falls to Marshall with a statistical oddity. Miami out-gained Marshall by one yard. Kent rained on the parade falling to the Illini in a tight game, and BGSU doesn't want to talk about it.

After two games Hawaii is averaging 51 points per game and they've not faced an FCS.

The post-Chad Morris era at SMU doesn't look pleasant so far. They "beat" North Texas 23-10 in the fourth quarter but UNT won the first three quarters 36-0.

If the Benjamin Buttons coaching career of Lane Kiffin ever ends, get the guy on Game Day. He called it on the Dan Patrick show that OU would blow them out. Although apparently the FAU Alumni Association didn't get the message sending a text out touting FAU's win over OU as a reason to donate. To be fair, the game was tied for 7:20

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - vandiver49 - 09-02-2018 03:32 AM

(09-02-2018 02:56 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Can't be much joy in the state of Kansas except perverse joy. Kansas fans wanting rid of Beatty probably now have that locked up after the OT loss to an FCS and K-State dodged their own trip to OT so probably some joy they didn't lose to an FCS like Kansas.

Pretty good weekend in Ohio. Cincinnati wins at UCLA, Ohio State thrashes Oregon State, Akron avoids being Scott Frost's possible first victim at Nebraska, Toledo gets a breather vs VMI, Ohio holds off Howard's attempt to get FBS wins in consecutive seasons, Miami falls to Marshall with a statistical oddity. Miami out-gained Marshall by one yard. Kent rained on the parade falling to the Illini in a tight game, and BGSU doesn't want to talk about it.

After two games Hawaii is averaging 51 points per game and they've not faced an FCS.

The post-Chad Morris era at SMU doesn't look pleasant so far. They "beat" North Texas 23-10 in the fourth quarter but UNT won the first three quarters 36-0.

If the Benjamin Buttons coaching career of Lane Kiffin ever ends, get the guy on Game Day. He called it on the Dan Patrick show that OU would blow them out. Although apparently the FAU Alumni Association didn't get the message sending a text out touting FAU's win over OU as a reason to donate. To be fair, the game was tied for 7:20

Kiffin will probably end up as LSU's next head coach.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - templefootballfan - 09-02-2018 08:00 AM

what's California promblem, you guys got everything

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - quo vadis - 09-02-2018 08:11 AM

(09-02-2018 12:25 AM)JRsec Wrote:  1. The ranking of 5 Big 10 teams looks suspect. Ohio State and Wisconsin are fine. But Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State may be over ranked.

5. Once again Auburn looked exactly like they did in the last two opening games with Clemson. We won today only because Washington is not Clemson.

Agree with all of these assessments except #1, to me it's just too early to tell about those B1G teams.

The thing I most agree with is how impressive Alabama looked. They looked in mid-season form, and if anything look even more talented than the teams that have played in 3 straight national title games.

I agree UL isn't as bad as they looked, the problem is Alabama is just relentless and it gets worse as the game goes on. Their guys can make plays that you don't think they can make, you see the value of 5* talent when you watch them.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - quo vadis - 09-02-2018 08:14 AM

One other thing:

Apparently, there are new blocking rules implemented for player safety that have the effect of curtailing some of the blocking strategies used by the triple-option teams.

Maybe it was just coincidence, but neither Army nor Navy ran the ball as effectively as they typically do. This could mean that these teams, especially Navy, just won't be as good as we have come to expect them to be.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - goodknightfl - 09-02-2018 08:28 AM

(09-02-2018 08:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  One other thing:

Maybe it was just coincidence, but neither Army nor Navy ran the ball as effectively as they typically do. This could mean that these teams, especially Navy, just won't be as good as we have come to expect them to be.

or..... it could be the normal week 1 stuff.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - CougarRed - 09-02-2018 08:46 AM

(09-02-2018 02:21 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Kansas fb has to get fixed

Nicholls avoided the upset.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - IWokeUpLikeThis - 09-02-2018 10:21 AM

JrSEC Wrote:The only thing that stuck out for UCLA was Chip Kelly's belly, alot!

He didn’t even look recognizable from his Oregon days. Take the hat off, change his haircut, and you might mistake him for Bielema.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Wedge - 09-02-2018 10:46 AM

(09-02-2018 10:21 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
JrSEC Wrote:The only thing that stuck out for UCLA was Chip Kelly's belly, alot!

He didn’t even look recognizable from his Oregon days. Take the hat off, change his haircut, and you might mistake him for Bielema.

Hasn't Chip always been headed that way? When Helfrich took over at Oregon, some writer asked him what differences people would see between him and Chip, and Helfrich said something like, "Not much. A few more salads."

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - slhNavy91 - 09-02-2018 11:59 AM

(09-02-2018 08:14 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  One other thing:

Apparently, there are new blocking rules implemented for player safety that have the effect of curtailing some of the blocking strategies used by the triple-option teams.

Navy had 326 rushing yards, versus 351 rypg last year. 5 of 6 TDs came on the ground, and 41 points was above last years ppg avg.
May be a bit premature to discuss the demise of Navys running game.
However, we could do well on offense next week and lose to another hi-octane offense to go 0-2.

I didnt watch football ALL day, but I did see the new blocking rule called once: blocking below the waist, from the side, outside the tackle box. It was FAU vs Oklahoma., because everybody cut blocks on screens and more, not just service academy flexbone spread option.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - JRsec - 09-02-2018 12:25 PM

(09-02-2018 08:11 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 12:25 AM)JRsec Wrote:  1. The ranking of 5 Big 10 teams looks suspect. Ohio State and Wisconsin are fine. But Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State may be over ranked.

5. Once again Auburn looked exactly like they did in the last two opening games with Clemson. We won today only because Washington is not Clemson.

Agree with all of these assessments except #1, to me it's just too early to tell about those B1G teams.

The thing I most agree with is how impressive Alabama looked. They looked in mid-season form, and if anything look even more talented than the teams that have played in 3 straight national title games.

I agree UL isn't as bad as they looked, the problem is Alabama is just relentless and it gets worse as the game goes on. Their guys can make plays that you don't think they can make, you see the value of 5* talent when you watch them.

No, it's not. Of the three Michigan is likely going to be the most competitive. Neither Michigan State nor Penn State played down to the competition. Both gave up a lot of points. I do think Appalachian State was very good, but not Big 10 very good, not SEC very good, and not Big 12 very good, which doesn't put either Penn State or Michigan State in the top 15, and I did say they were over ranked.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Wedge - 09-02-2018 04:11 PM

Dan Wetzel wins Tweet of the Week for this one from Saturday night:

Quote:Dan Wetzel
‏@DanWetzel

Mack Brown Appreciation Day. Phil Fulmer Appreciation Day. Lloyd Carr Appreciation Day.

8:04 PM - 1 Sep 2018

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - bullet - 09-02-2018 05:23 PM

5. Once again Auburn looked exactly like they did in the last two opening games with Clemson. We won today only because Washington is not Clemson. I don't think Auburn is a #9 or Washington a #6. We were ranked based on last season and the network's need to hype games. I'd feel comfortable around #15 for now. Not enough punch at RB to consistently penetrate the D line in the red zone.

8. Notre Dame is better than their score with Michigan tonight. Michigan is worse than their score.

11. If I had to hazard an early CFP guess it would be the Alabama/Georgia winner, Clemson, the winner of Oklahoma/West Virginia provided they have 1 loss or fewer, and Ohio State. Why? Depth.

12. I wish the danged officials could figure out what is targeting and what is not, and even more I wish the damned announcers who haven't read the rules about it would quit inventing new reasons for it to be called.

IMO, if a QB runs beyond the line of scrimmage and tries to slide down, if the defensive player commits to the tackle before the QB goes down there should be no targeting even if the helmets bump. Launching to hit a defenseless player ought to be called every time. But when a tall DB has to lower his height to stop a shorter ball carrier I don't think it's fair to tag him for targeting because he dipped his head. What the heck is he supposed to do?

Agree with you wholeheartedly on the last. Rules aren't reasonable. And announcers have no clue what they are.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - bullet - 09-02-2018 05:25 PM

There should be an intentional or avoidable element to the ejection. These rules make players hesitant and mess with the game.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - ChrisLords - 09-02-2018 06:09 PM

(09-02-2018 03:32 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 02:56 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Can't be much joy in the state of Kansas except perverse joy. Kansas fans wanting rid of Beatty probably now have that locked up after the OT loss to an FCS and K-State dodged their own trip to OT so probably some joy they didn't lose to an FCS like Kansas.

Kiffin will probably end up as LSU's next head coach.

Yeah, he's seems to always fall up.

RE: Things That Stood Out To Me Today: - Scoochpooch1 - 09-02-2018 06:14 PM

A few things:

ND was at home, you'd think they'd win by more than 7.

Louisville is bad, not 51-7 bad, but they arent good. But they will probably still be fine in ACC somehow.

Oklahoma will produce another Big 12 QB that will fail in the NFL.

Targeting is BS. The NFL ignores the laws of psychics and it seems CFB is following suit.