CSNbbs
Bobby Petrino Contract - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Bobby Petrino Contract (/thread-858851.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bobby Petrino Contract - CardinalJim - 09-23-2018 07:28 PM

If Louisville cans Petrino, the most successful coach it has ever had after this season, it will cost the UofL 16.2 million.

I support keeping Bobby. You can’t average over 9 wins a season over 8 years and get fired for one bad season.
CJ

https://hkm.com/football/contracts/bobby-petrino/

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2016/04/14/petrino-gets-new-louisville-contract/83026696/

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - esayem - 09-23-2018 08:39 PM

I don’t think he should be fired for one bad season either. Technically, Lamar Jackson should still be there too and people shouldn’t forget that. Most programs need time to groom the new QB.

Bobby Petrino Contract - Lenvillecards - 09-24-2018 11:20 AM

Actually I’ve heard his buyout is over $13 million this year but goes over $14 million for the next two years.

Am I mistaken or is Bobby 10-10 over the last 20 games?

Louisville has a lot of youth on this team but the OL & WR are among our 2 most experienced groups & they have been the most disappointing. With all the injuries & sophomores playing on defense they have kept us in the game.

I’ll withhold judgement on Bobby until later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - copycat - 09-24-2018 11:33 AM

If he loses to the trainwreck that is Georgia Tech, fire him then.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Mister Emu - 09-24-2018 01:19 PM

There is a difference between a bad year and an unmitigated disaster.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - BigOwensboroCard - 09-24-2018 04:33 PM

I think I just read over the weekend that IF he is fired this year or next year or the following the payout is the same. If memory serves me correctly it was a little over 12million. Where are you getting that 16million dollar figure at Jim? Now if you are add up what I believe will be between 4-6million additional to pay assistance as they are sown the door as well then that number you are stating Jim is pretty close to accurate. I think it’s time fo a change, but it is looking difficult due to the generous contract the Jurich gave Petrino in hopes to catch some of that mojo the first time around when he went 41-9. I think what is going to hurt is not firing him and paying him off and the assistance, but the buyout of who ever we look to hire, and his new contract, and then you have new assistant coaches that are going to need to be paid. Oh well there is time to rectify the season, but IMO I think CBP has lost any and all mojo of his former self. The guy we have is no where near the SOB we use to have, and I don’t see him ever coming back anytime soon.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - domer1978 - 09-24-2018 04:53 PM

How is the BVG hire going?

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Wilkie01 - 09-24-2018 05:37 PM

In case anyone is wondering about Bobby buyout numbers—He’s owed 3 yrs salary if fired w/out cause

After 2018 = 12,225,000
After 2019 = 12,375,000
After 2020 = 12,525,000
After 2021 = 8,400,000
After 2022 = 4,225,000

(Would also be owed prorated salary to end of calendar year)

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - BigOwensboroCard - 09-24-2018 06:08 PM

(09-24-2018 04:53 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  How is the BVG hire going?

He is ten times better than the DC we had last year. I know when things start going south and changes need to be made it’s the coordinators who ar shown the door ( Wake Forrest just fired their DC ) first in most cases to try and salvage something. Everything I have read about BVG has been positive, but following an idiot who had no clue in how to run a defense at this level it would be really hard for him to screw up. I think he has his hands full in trying to break bad habits from Sirmon’s one year here. I like his play calling up to this point, but like I said bad habits and inexperience usually not a good combination.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - domer1978 - 09-24-2018 07:34 PM

(09-24-2018 06:08 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  

He is ten times better than the DC we had last year. I know when things start going south and changes need to be made it’s the coordinators who ar shown the door ( Wake Forrest just fired their DC ) first in most cases to try and salvage something. Everything I have read about BVG has been positive, but following an idiot who had no clue in how to run a defense at this level it would be really hard for him to screw up. I think he has his hands full in trying to break bad habits from Sirmon’s one year here. I like his play calling up to this point, but like I said bad habits and inexperience usually not a good combination.
Interesting, at the end with us he was widely loathed. Glad he seems to not be repeating same errors.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Pervis_Griffith - 09-24-2018 08:05 PM

Last Saturday, against UVA, the Louisville D kept the game in reach well into the 3rd quarter. Once they finally realized that the offense couldn't get their thumbs outta their asses, they wore down.

A Petrino offense that musted 3 lousy points (which was set up by an INT that was returned to the freakin' 3 yard line ... the O used 3 plays to get all the way to the ... 4 yard line) is BRUTAL. Especially after watching Lamar Jackson the last couple of years.

I know BVG has had some spectacularly bad years, but I was encouraged by the play of the young D, especially considering our two best returning players are out with injury - one most likely for the year.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - georgia_tech_swagger - 09-24-2018 10:10 PM

VanGorder is the DC at Louisville? You mean you guys replaced a UGAg reject ..... with ANOTHER UGAg reject?

https://media.giphy.com/media/SEp6Zq6ZkzUNW/giphy.gif

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Wilkie01 - 09-24-2018 10:55 PM

(09-24-2018 10:10 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  VanGorder is the DC at Louisville? You mean you guys replaced a UGAg reject ..... with ANOTHER UGAg reject?

https://media.giphy.com/media/SEp6Zq6ZkzUNW/giphy.gif

Seems people do not want to work for Bobby any more! 07-coffee3

Bobby Petrino Contract - Lenvillecards - 09-24-2018 11:12 PM

Fun fact from Twitter.

Current FBS coaches with the longest active streaks of winning at least 8 games per season:
16 - Urban Meyer
10 - Nick Saban
8 - Bobby Petrino
7 - Mark Richt
7 - David Shaw
7 - Dabo Swinney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - esayem - 09-25-2018 12:46 AM

BVG took the blame at Notre Dame, after they shut out Michigan. When was the last time they did that? Funny how the blame game works. Anyhow, Petrino will be fine. I think Paul Johnson will be too after he beats UNC, V.P.I., Miami, and U.Va.!

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Lou_C - 09-25-2018 09:55 AM

How on earth does Petrino have that kind of buyout? Who was coming for the guy? Just like Ogeron.

These buyouts have gotten totally absurd. They're being folded in just like part of the compensation, instead of what they are, a hedge against your coach leaving. Guess what...if nobody wants your coach, you don't need a ridiculous buyout.

What a mess. I'm of the opinion he's NOT going to turn it around, given the assistants he's been hiring and the general direction of the program, but there's nothing Louisville can really do about it with that crazy buyout I guess but ride it down a while.

Or hire a bunch of beautiful young staffers around the football offices maybe.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Wilkie01 - 09-25-2018 10:34 AM

Tom Jurich was very good at fundraising. However, he wrote all his contracts in favor of his coaches. The contracts should have been written in favor of the University. There end, he was fired because of not firing Rick Pitino and these bad contracts. His contracts all lacked strong backout clause for the leaving coaches. And looked at what we will have to pay Petrino, if we fire him. And of course there is the $1.5 million bonus paid to Jurch by Ramsey from restricted endowment funds. 07-coffee3

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - CardinalJim - 09-25-2018 11:26 AM

In his 8 years at UofL, before this season, Petrino has averaged over 9 wins a season. Louisville fans are spoiled. Maybe the transition to The ACC came to easy for us. We are far and away the most successful team to “move up”.
Our record the first four seasons in The ACC: 34-18. Our conference mates: Syracuse: 22-39 (5 seasons), Pitt 34-30 (5 seasons). (Hence their lack of sympathy for our plight this season...lol.) How about Maryland that gave us our spot in The ACC by jumping to The Big Ten: 20-30 and former conference mate Rutgers: 18-31

My point is Louisville was due a season like this. I’m not saying Louisville fans can’t be po'd because our team isn’t competing like we want it to, scratch that, like we are accustomed to. What I am saying is things will get better. Louisville has a very young team. We have 4 seniors starting (3 on offense / 1 on defense) only 7 that see any amount of time. That's what happens when you send Juniors to the NFL. It hurts your upper class depth.

I'm not convinced Louisville could get anyone else to take the job replacing a coach that has averaged 9 wins a season for almost a decade that some fans want canned after a 1/3 of a bad season.
CJ

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - Wolfman - 09-25-2018 12:02 PM

(09-25-2018 09:55 AM)Lou_C Wrote:  How on earth does Petrino have that kind of buyout? Who was coming for the guy? Just like Ogeron.

These buyouts have gotten totally absurd. They're being folded in just like part of the compensation, instead of what they are, a hedge against your coach leaving. Guess what...if nobody wants your coach, you don't need a ridiculous buyout.

What a mess. I'm of the opinion he's NOT going to turn it around, given the assistants he's been hiring and the general direction of the program, but there's nothing Louisville can really do about it with that crazy buyout I guess but ride it down a while.

Or hire a bunch of beautiful young staffers around the football offices maybe.

There is also the trend of coaches refusing coaching jobs because they would loose the money from the buyout. They go into broadcasting for a few years. They get big bucks from networks, then when the buyout expires, they go back to coaching.

RE: Bobby Petrino Contract - BigOwensboroCard - 09-25-2018 06:26 PM

The reason fo the contract is Tom Jurich thought he was signing the Bobby Petrino of old who went 41-9 the first time he was here. Bobby makes a good showing playing with Charlie Strongs players, and then licks up with Lamar Jackson, and you can see why with the extension for Jurich thought people were about to come out of the wood work to snatch him away. So like a poster mention Tom Jurich was very loyal to his coaches, and this is the reason he wasn’t retained IMO for all he had to do was fire Pitino and most likely he would have kept his job. So to him the coaches were deserving of these contracts, but when they were written no one never imagine TJ not being in the picture to see the contract through.