CSNbbs
The Future of Redshirting is here - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The Future of Redshirting is here (/thread-859068.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Future of Redshirting is here - dbackjon - 09-26-2018 11:26 AM

Thanks to the NCAA's new redshirt rule, Sam Houston's RB is redshirting after playing first three games, and transferring.

FCS: Sam Houston RB Remus Bulmer To Transfer

Remus Bulmer, a 2,000-yard career rusher for the Bearkats, will transfer after playing in the team's first three games of the year.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj

On Monday, Sam Houston State running back Remus Bulmer -- one of the top returning career rushers in the FCS -- reached out to HERO Sports and said he is going to sit out the rest of 2018 and will take his redshirt this year, then look to play his senior season elsewhere in 2019.

But the past two weeks -- both being losses to North Dakota and Nicholls -- Bulmer has had five and eight carries respectively and sophomore Kyran Jackson currently leads the team in rushing. With the new redshirting rule -- which allows a player to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility, Bulmer can sit out the remainder of 2018 and have a fresh start in 2019 since he never redshirted before. Players from Oklahoma State also announced today they would use this rule to transfer.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - utpotts - 09-26-2018 11:32 AM

Kelly Bryant of Clemson is transferring after playing in the first four games this season.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - stever20 - 09-26-2018 11:38 AM

yep. This week and next week are going to be in the future huge transfer weeks. I would think especially for juniors who are on pace to graduate in 3 years- thus becoming graduate transfers with 2 years of immediate eligiblity left.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Wedge - 09-26-2018 12:19 PM

Obviously it's the job of sportswriters to find stories wherever they can, but we should not overexaggerate a few anecdotes.

Based on everything that's been reported, the number of players who are transferring after playing 4 games this season is less than one percent of all FBS players, and if you add in FCS, far less than one percent of all D-I players.

The transfer rate in D-I college basketball, which doesn't have this kind of redshirt rule, is far greater than the transfer rate in football will ever be.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - stever20 - 09-26-2018 12:24 PM

(09-26-2018 12:19 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Obviously it's the job of sportswriters to find stories wherever they can, but we should not overexaggerate a few anecdotes.

Based on everything that's been reported, the number of players who are transferring after playing 4 games this season is less than one percent of all FBS players, and if you add in FCS, far less than one percent of all D-I players.

The transfer rate in D-I college basketball, which doesn't have this kind of redshirt rule, is far greater than the transfer rate in football will ever be.

I think this is the tip of the iceberg though.

Also would have to note that there are still 30 FBS teams that have only played 3 games this year so far. So that's nearly 1/4 of FBS with 1 game left before the 4 game threshold.

This is also the 1st year. It's going to grow as we go along I think.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - BePcr07 - 09-26-2018 12:28 PM

The rule has crept up and been more player friendly. At some point, the rules may allow players to transfer immediately without missing a year at all.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Hokie Mark - 09-26-2018 12:29 PM

I think it's great! What good is it to the players - or the casual fan - if starter-quality backups ride the bench? This way if they can't win the starting job 4 games into the season, they can read the writing on the wall and transfer somewhere they can actually, you know, PLAY!

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - dbackjon - 09-26-2018 12:43 PM

(09-26-2018 12:19 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Obviously it's the job of sportswriters to find stories wherever they can, but we should not overexaggerate a few anecdotes.

This is the first year. And many hadn't thought of this. It will be bigger in the future.

Just like the Grad Transfer rule took a few years to get cranking

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - dbackjon - 09-26-2018 12:44 PM

(09-26-2018 12:29 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I think it's great! What good is it to the players - or the casual fan - if starter-quality backups ride the bench? This way if they can't win the starting job 4 games into the season, they can read the writing on the wall and transfer somewhere they can actually, you know, PLAY!

And a team's depth is gone.

Maybe the coach is using some easy early games to get the backup some reps and save the starter for conference play.

Especially when you are team captain and you quit on your team.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - va-eagle - 09-26-2018 01:01 PM

(09-26-2018 12:29 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I think it's great! What good is it to the players - or the casual fan - if starter-quality backups ride the bench? This way if they can't win the starting job 4 games into the season, they can read the writing on the wall and transfer somewhere they can actually, you know, PLAY!

Rule is better for the player than for the team. Depth will become an issue and coaches won't know until they are well into the season. Coaches will be forced to play younger, talented players earlier, ahead of a more experienced player, just to keep them from transferring. Then that experienced player will transfer and you'll be left with an even less experienced player as the backup. It will impact recruiting. Coaches won't know they need 3 RBs vs 1 until they are way into recruiting season.

I would like the rule better if it applied to true freshmen.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Wedge - 09-26-2018 01:19 PM

(09-26-2018 12:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Maybe the coach is using some easy early games to get the backup some reps and save the starter for conference play.

Each player should do what's best for himself, and what's best for himself might not be sitting on the bench as an insurance policy just so his extremely well paid head coach can sleep better at night.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Shox - 09-26-2018 01:29 PM

(09-26-2018 11:26 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  Thanks to the NCAA's new redshirt rule, Sam Houston's RB is redshirting after playing first three games, and transferring.

Remus Bulmer, a 2,000-yard career rusher for the Bearkats, will transfer after playing in the team's first three games of the year.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-sam-houston-state-remus-bulmer-transferring-ajaj

On Monday, Sam Houston State running back Remus Bulmer -- one of the top returning career rushers in the FCS -- reached out to HERO Sports and said he is going to sit out the rest of 2018 and will take his redshirt this year, then look to play his senior season elsewhere in 2019.

But the past two weeks -- both being losses to North Dakota and Nicholls -- Bulmer has had five and eight carries respectively and sophomore Kyran Jackson currently leads the team in rushing. With the new redshirting rule -- which allows a player to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility, Bulmer can sit out the remainder of 2018 and have a fresh start in 2019 since he never redshirted before. Players from Oklahoma State also announced today they would use this rule to transfer.

Won't these guys still have to drop down a level in order to be eligible next year? With no redshirt available, they can't afford to transfer and sit out a year. For Bulmer, that means D2 ball next year.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Wedge - 09-26-2018 01:36 PM

(09-26-2018 01:29 PM)Shox Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 11:26 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  Thanks to the NCAA's new redshirt rule, Sam Houston's RB is redshirting after playing first three games, and transferring.

Won't these guys still have to drop down a level in order to be eligible next year? With no redshirt available, they can't afford to transfer and sit out a year. For Bulmer, that means D2 ball next year.

He won't have to sit out or transfer to a "lower level" program, because he is going to grad-transfer, according to the article.

Quote:Bulmer has a 3.2 GPA and will graduate in December

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - JRsec - 09-26-2018 01:54 PM

(09-26-2018 01:19 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Each player should do what's best for himself, and what's best for himself might not be sitting on the bench as an insurance policy just so his extremely well paid head coach can sleep better at night.

What this will inevitably lead to is a scholarship system that renews scholarships annually. If the players aren't going to commit to 4 years then there is no reason for the schools to do it either. Right now 4 year scholarships cover the studs and a lot of bench warmers. If players want to be able to do what is best for themselves then schools will as well.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Wedge - 09-26-2018 02:00 PM

(09-26-2018 01:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 01:19 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

What this will inevitably lead to is a scholarship system that renews scholarships annually. If the players aren't going to commit to 4 years then there is no reason for the schools to do it either. Right now 4 year scholarships cover the studs and a lot of bench warmers. If players want to be able to do what is best for themselves then schools will as well.

That's the system we already have, and have had for a very long time. The only recent change is that D-I schools are now permitted, but not required, to offer multi-year athletic scholarships to any athlete if they choose to do so.

Coaches have always done what's best for themselves, and fans have always cheered them on for doing so even at the expense of their players. Some fans are now getting upset if their favorite team's 2nd string QB transfers and leaves them with less depth at that position, but if the same player is the 4th string QB, and the coaches non-renew his scholarship so they can give it to an incoming recruit, the fans think that's a great thing.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Kaplony - 09-26-2018 05:04 PM

I'm not mad the Bryant is transferring. If he's going to fail to understand that he was outplayed for the position and act the way he has in the media he was going to be a divisive force if he remained on the roster. The offense simply looked better when Lawrence was in the game because TL is physically capable of utilizing all of the weapons we have and Bryant wasn't. Best of luck in the future Kelly.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - quo vadis - 09-26-2018 07:26 PM

(09-26-2018 05:04 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm not mad the Bryant is transferring. If he's going to fail to understand that he was outplayed for the position ....

In fairness to Kelly, I think he understood that he was being demoted because the coaches felt that TL had outplayed him and earned the starting job. I think he disagreed with that, but didn't say any of that to the press in order to be diplomatic. And the bottom line is, he was justified in leaving even he *did* agree that he had been outplayed. A player only has a finite amount of time to show off his skills for NFL scouts, and you can't do that on the bench.

That said, this hurts Clemson's title aspirations. Because even though TL has been better, there are two dangers here. First, TL has only played four games, that's not a big sample size. Could be his strong outings have been beginner's luck, and have been aided by not having the pressure of being the starting guy everyone is looking to. It's possible his level of play may fall off in coming weeks, below that of Kelly's level. Or TL could get hurt.

Second, even if he does continue to perform better than Kelly would have, there will undoubtedly be game circumstances where Kelly's skill set would be better than TL's, and Kelly won't be there to provide it. In this regard, Nick Saban did a better job of managing his benched QB's ego - Jalen Hurts will be sitting on the bench available to go in if the situation requires it.

Beyond all that, I think it is becoming clear to all coaches that this 4-game redshirt rule is going to be a significant issue going forward. It's going to have to be seriously managed, as it will impact the quality of the present team, and recruiting strategy.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - JRsec - 09-26-2018 08:42 PM

(09-26-2018 07:26 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-26-2018 05:04 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm not mad the Bryant is transferring. If he's going to fail to understand that he was outplayed for the position ....

In fairness to Kelly, I think he understood that he was being demoted because the coaches felt that TL had outplayed him and earned the starting job. I think he disagreed with that, but didn't say any of that to the press in order to be diplomatic. And the bottom line is, he was justified in leaving even he *did* agree that he had been outplayed. A player only has a finite amount of time to show off his skills for NFL scouts, and you can't do that on the bench.

That said, this hurts Clemson's title aspirations. Because even though TL has been better, there are two dangers here. First, TL has only played four games, that's not a big sample size. Could be his strong outings have been beginner's luck, and have been aided by not having the pressure of being the starting guy everyone is looking to. It's possible his level of play may fall off in coming weeks, below that of Kelly's level. Or TL could get hurt.

Second, even if he does continue to perform better than Kelly would have, there will undoubtedly be game circumstances where Kelly's skill set would be better than TL's, and Kelly won't be there to provide it. In this regard, Nick Saban did a better job of managing his benched QB's ego - Jalen Hurts will be sitting on the bench available to go in if the situation requires it.

Beyond all that, I think it is becoming clear to all coaches that this 4-game redshirt rule is going to be a significant issue going forward. It's going to have to be seriously managed, as it will impact the quality of the present team, and recruiting strategy.

All the more reason not to have a poll until after week #5. The quality of teams will vary after defections and headed into the last 7 games injuries start to mount up. What I was thinking where Bryant is concerned is that should the starter go down, who to now? Such things can affect the standing of a team by 5 or more spots which is certainly enough to take them out of the CFP should the unthinkable occur.

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - Gamecock - 09-27-2018 05:24 AM

The number of guys transferring midseason will likely pale in comparison to the amount of young guys who get quality experience and maintain that year of eligibility. Overall, it’s a good rule

RE: The Future of Redshirting is here - panite - 09-27-2018 07:10 AM

What happens if the coach refuses to redshirt the player. Will the year count even if the player quits. Will the player have to sit out a year and / or lose a year of eligibility if he transfers and the old coach has not enacted the redshirt rule to help him but rather than to hurt his transfer case. 07-coffee3