CSNbbs
Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 (/thread-861755.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Sactowndog - 10-29-2018 10:04 AM

(10-29-2018 01:54 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(10-29-2018 12:43 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 05:25 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:27 PM)bullet Wrote:  Fresno has no wins of consequence. UH just beat an unbeaten ranked team by 3 TDs. That's your homer speaking.

Sadly, USF was overrated, we didn't belong in the rankings, had scraped by some really bad teams.

Fresno deserves to be ranked ahead of Houston right now, but in the end it won't matter because Houston will have to beat UCF to get the Access Bowl bid, and if they do that they will deserve it anyway.

USF was certainly overrated but so was the Hawaii team that a lot people were high on. I just don't see it, and I'm actually really high on Fresno. I don't see Houston losing to Minnesota at home and I think our loss to Tech was the better of the two losses. Not sure what they've done to deserve a higher ranking. Like you said its all probably moot because if UH wins out they'll get the spot, and if we lose one more time then we can forget about any of these nice things like rankings.

We lost to Minnesota at Minnesota. We were also driving for the win and lost on a miracle interception in the end zone.

Did not realize that. I'll amend my previous statement to say I don't believe UH would lose to Minnesota.

I agree with you.

Someone said with the statistical make-up of the game, Fresno will win 60% of the time. We faced some bad calls from Big 10 refs (since when does that happen to G5 schools), and lost the turnover battle with the last one being a near miracle for Minn to seal the win.

https://www.facebook.com/GopherFootball/videos/335730433661891/

**** happens and it did to us that game.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - stxrunner - 10-29-2018 10:37 AM

(10-29-2018 12:37 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 03:46 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:43 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 12:48 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  Yeah shows the difference between the east coast and west coast. Houston

Nothing better illustrates the difference between the east coast and west coast than a team in the middle of the country.

Houston is in an east coast conference.

The coaches poll votes are hidden but Jon Wilner, a Pac-12 stooge, is an example of what I’m talking about.

His ballot has
UCF 13
Houston 20
Utah State 25

One of only two voters in the country that doesn’t have Fresno in the top 25 and has the largest gap between the AAC and any MWC team. You would never see **** like that from a reporter east of the Rockies.

How about the fact that USU and Fresno entered the rankings higher than Cincy or USF ever reached being undefeated at the time. Now throw in the fact that neither of them had any wins of note and lost their p5 games. Objectively a 1 lose Cincy and USF should still be ranked higher than a 1 lose USU or Fresno. 07-coffee3

Cinci played one P5 team and won 26-17
Fresno played the same P5 team and won 38-14

Look, I actually don't think UC is better than Fresno, as I think we are still a young developing team that makes too many mistakes, but this argument you keep bringing up for it is insane. No reasonable person could look at those two games and conclude based on that alone that one team is better than the other. Maybe if the scores were 21-20 vs 48-7, maybe. But the fact you keep holding that one up as your crown jewel makes your argument look extremely weak.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - stxrunner - 10-29-2018 10:44 AM

(10-29-2018 09:48 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 11:35 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 05:38 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  So is it east coast bias or west coast conspiracy? Or... maybe its that UH ran over the #21 team in the country on prime time. Maybe its because we have a recognizable brand. Maybe its because we have the #1 offense in the country. I don't know. I do know that if we don't win out and go to a NY6 bowl, I'd love a rematch with Fresno.

Truth is, despite the notion that P5 get an advantage by having the bigger names, the human polls tend to be biased in favor of the top G5 teams, whether from the AAC or MWC or anywhere else. Here are the rankings of the four ranked G5 teams in the AP poll, and in the Massey Composite:

UCF ........... 9 (AP) ....... 15 (MC)

Houston .... 17 (AP) ...... 33 (MC)

Utah State ... 18 (AP) ...... 27 (MC)

Fresno St .... 20 (AP) ...... 18 (MC)

Notice that of the four AP-ranked G5 teams, three of them are significantly over-rated compared to what the computers say, UCF +6, Houston + 16, and Utah State +9. Only Fresno is under-rated, by -2.

You don't usually see those kinds of gaps regarding the ranked P5 teams. Among all the ranked P5 teams, 21 of them, the worst gap is +9 for Syracuse, ranked AP 22 and Massey 31.

So what is your explanation for Fresno being -2 while Utah State is plus 9 and Houston is +16? I have mine but interested in yours.

It's probably because Fresno did not give themselves a good look OOC. They played 2 objectively bad P5 teams (which, not their fault I'll add) and lost to one of them. Houston and Utah St's losses were to good P5 teams, which doesn't penalize them like Fresno's loss to Minnesota does. UCF has no losses, and has a better OOC win than Fresno does by a long shot.

It's actually pretty transparent, and it has nothing to do with that Houston "east coast" basis.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - quo vadis - 10-29-2018 01:55 PM

(10-29-2018 09:48 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  So what is your explanation for Fresno being -2 while Utah State is plus 9 and Houston is +16? I have mine but interested in yours.

Honestly, I don't have an explanation for Fresno being -2. Compared to Utah State, it could be because they lost early to a perceived lousy P5 (Minnesota) while Utah State lost to a respectable one (Michigan State), so that created a bias against Fresno in the minds of voters that has carried on. But that's a reach.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Sactowndog - 10-29-2018 03:23 PM

(10-29-2018 10:44 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  
(10-29-2018 09:48 AM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 11:35 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 05:38 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  So is it east coast bias or west coast conspiracy? Or... maybe its that UH ran over the #21 team in the country on prime time. Maybe its because we have a recognizable brand. Maybe its because we have the #1 offense in the country. I don't know. I do know that if we don't win out and go to a NY6 bowl, I'd love a rematch with Fresno.

Truth is, despite the notion that P5 get an advantage by having the bigger names, the human polls tend to be biased in favor of the top G5 teams, whether from the AAC or MWC or anywhere else. Here are the rankings of the four ranked G5 teams in the AP poll, and in the Massey Composite:

UCF ........... 9 (AP) ....... 15 (MC)

Houston .... 17 (AP) ...... 33 (MC)

Utah State ... 18 (AP) ...... 27 (MC)

Fresno St .... 20 (AP) ...... 18 (MC)

Notice that of the four AP-ranked G5 teams, three of them are significantly over-rated compared to what the computers say, UCF +6, Houston + 16, and Utah State +9. Only Fresno is under-rated, by -2.

You don't usually see those kinds of gaps regarding the ranked P5 teams. Among all the ranked P5 teams, 21 of them, the worst gap is +9 for Syracuse, ranked AP 22 and Massey 31.

So what is your explanation for Fresno being -2 while Utah State is plus 9 and Houston is +16? I have mine but interested in yours.

It's probably because Fresno did not give themselves a good look OOC. They played 2 objectively bad P5 teams (which, not their fault I'll add) and lost to one of them. Houston and Utah St's losses were to good P5 teams, which doesn't penalize them like Fresno's loss to Minnesota does. UCF has no losses, and has a better OOC win than Fresno does by a long shot.

It's actually pretty transparent, and it has nothing to do with that Houston "east coast" basis.

Never said it was an east coast bias. In fact one of the more favorable areas for Fresno relative to Houston and Utah State is Florida, Georgia and Atlanta. Not sure it’s transparent at all.

BTW, I have said if UCF wins out they should go.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Sactowndog - 10-29-2018 03:27 PM

(10-29-2018 10:37 AM)stxrunner Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:43 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:01 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Nothing better illustrates the difference between the east coast and west coast than a team in the middle of the country.

Houston is in an east coast conference.

The coaches poll votes are hidden but Jon Wilner, a Pac-12 stooge, is an example of what I’m talking about.

His ballot has
UCF 13
Houston 20
Utah State 25

One of only two voters in the country that doesn’t have Fresno in the top 25 and has the largest gap between the AAC and any MWC team. You would never see **** like that from a reporter east of the Rockies.

How about the fact that USU and Fresno entered the rankings higher than Cincy or USF ever reached being undefeated at the time. Now throw in the fact that neither of them had any wins of note and lost their p5 games. Objectively a 1 lose Cincy and USF should still be ranked higher than a 1 lose USU or Fresno. 07-coffee3

Look, I actually don't think UC is better than Fresno, as I think we are still a young developing team that makes too many mistakes, but this argument you keep bringing up for it is insane. No reasonable person could look at those two games and conclude based on that alone that one team is better than the other. Maybe if the scores were 21-20 vs 48-7, maybe. But the fact you keep holding that one up as your crown jewel makes your argument look extremely weak.

Did you watch the game? We were playing subs the 4th quarter. We completely destroyed UCLA. The score wasn’t higher because Tedford doesn’t run up the score. Hurts with human voters but not the computers.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Gamecock - 10-29-2018 03:37 PM

(10-28-2018 01:08 AM)sierrajip Wrote:  Having UAB being mentioned after the program was shut down is amazing.

Clark has done an incredible job. Be willing to bet someone makes a run at him this offseason.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - stxrunner - 10-29-2018 04:10 PM

(10-29-2018 03:27 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:43 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  Houston is in an east coast conference.

His ballot has
UCF 13
Houston 20
Utah State 25

Did you watch the game? We were playing subs the 4th quarter. We completely destroyed UCLA. The score wasn’t higher because Tedford doesn’t run up the score. Hurts with human voters but not the computers.

I did not catch all of the game, I'll admit, but I did watch a chunk of it. Fresno looked like the significantly better team, no doubt. But I don't know where you are getting this subs nonsense. The same QB and RBs were in the game the whole time. You guys had that really long drive that took out most of the clock and decided not to kick a FG, so I guess you gave up 3 points there, but this wasn't a foot off the gas scenario. The game was 16-14 in the 3rd quarter.

Let's not forget that once UC switched to their current quarterback after the first half of the 1Q against UCLA, UC outscored them 26-7, so again, using that one game to compare doesn't make sense. Try one of the multitude of other ways to show that Fresno is ahead of UC, because they exist.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Billy Bob Bearcat - 10-30-2018 02:54 PM

(10-29-2018 04:10 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  
(10-29-2018 03:27 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 03:46 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  How about the fact that USU and Fresno entered the rankings higher than Cincy or USF ever reached being undefeated at the time. Now throw in the fact that neither of them had any wins of note and lost their p5 games. Objectively a 1 lose Cincy and USF should still be ranked higher than a 1 lose USU or Fresno. 07-coffee3

I did not catch all of the game, I'll admit, but I did watch a chunk of it. Fresno looked like the significantly better team, no doubt. But I don't know where you are getting this subs nonsense. The same QB and RBs were in the game the whole time. You guys had that really long drive that took out most of the clock and decided not to kick a FG, so I guess you gave up 3 points there, but this wasn't a foot off the gas scenario. The game was 16-14 in the 3rd quarter.

Let's not forget that once UC switched to their current quarterback after the first half of the 1Q against UCLA, UC outscored them 26-7, so again, using that one game to compare doesn't make sense. Try one of the multitude of other ways to show that Fresno is ahead of UC, because they exist.

I don't think UC is great this year, but there are so many factors that have to be considered. The QB situation, the amount of youth UC was playing in their first game of the season (5th youngest roster in CFB if I am not mistaken), and the fact that UC flew across country to play UCLA as opposed to a short drive.

These are the types of things that make every game unique. At the end of the day, I wouldn't be bragging that Fresno got an extra touch down on UCLA compared to UC. It wasn't some great achievement.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - stever20 - 11-01-2018 11:11 PM

UCF with a big win tonight.....

For the AAC if-
UCF beats Navy
USF beats Tulane, @ Temple
Cincy beats Navy, ECU
Houston beats @ SMU, Temple, Tulane, @ Memphis

You can pretty much lock up the G5 spot for the AAC. The conference champion would be guaranteed to be no worse than 1 loss.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - quo vadis - 11-01-2018 11:26 PM

(11-01-2018 11:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  UCF with a big win tonight.....

Big win? They gave up 40 points, 670 yards, and 35 first downs to a team that was 1-3 OOC this year. 07-coffee3

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - stever20 - 11-01-2018 11:33 PM

(11-01-2018 11:26 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Big win? They gave up 40 points, 670 yards, and 35 first downs to a team that was 1-3 OOC this year. 07-coffee3

with them if they win next week, split vs USF and Cincy, and beat Houston- they are the G5 rep. Nothing anyone can do about it at all whatsoever.

Win doesn't help them for making playoff- but it absolutely helps them for the g5 slot.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - WhoseHouse? - 11-02-2018 04:09 AM

A lot of people have called Purdue or NW the most improved teams in the country but for my money its Temple. Following their first two losses, they smashed Maryland on the road and battled a tough BC team. They'd be top 4 or 5 in the ACC rn without a doubt. That said UCF clearly lacks the defense to contend for a playoff spot. Their main goal should be to continue to win and lock up the NY6 bowl for the G5.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - quo vadis - 11-02-2018 09:12 AM

(11-02-2018 04:09 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

A lot of people have called Purdue or NW the most improved teams in the country but for my money its Temple. Following their first two losses, they smashed Maryland on the road and battled a tough BC team. They'd be top 4 or 5 in the ACC rn without a doubt. That said UCF clearly lacks the defense to contend for a playoff spot. Their main goal should be to continue to win and lock up the NY6 bowl for the G5.

Well, suspiciously, Temple improved once they started playing AAC teams.

That said, of course if UCF runs the table they will get the NY6 Access spot, and desrervedly so.

Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - Jjoey52 - 11-02-2018 10:29 AM

Good thing UCF doesn’t play a tough schedule. Their secondary would get totally torched playing a good passing team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - WhoseHouse? - 11-02-2018 05:12 PM

(11-02-2018 09:12 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

That said, of course if UCF runs the table they will get the NY6 Access spot, and desrervedly so.

Pitt started off the year getting manhandled by PSU, UCF, and losing to a crap UNC team. In their last three they've beaten Syracuse, Duke, and battled with a damn good ND team. NW lost to Duke and Akron in the non-conf but their 5-1 in Big Ten play. Their only loss was by 3 to Michigan.

Every year there's a few teams that for whatever reason just aren't ready out of the gates. Just because they round into form later in the year doesn't mean the whole conference sucks.

In Temple's case, they pretty clearly weren't starting the right kid at QB the first two games. They switched to the Russo kid after the other guy threw 2 INT's in both games and immediately stomped a pretty decent Maryland team 35-14 on the road. Since they made the switch their only losses are to BC and UCF on the road (both ranked teams). Now obviously playing teams like Tulsa and ECU should present some opportunities for easy wins, but with Temple this year its a little deeper than that. And if we want to get technical, their turn around began once they faced off with a Big Ten team.

So to take it back to Stevers original post that was a big win for UCF last night because it came against a sneaky good team that was riding high after beating a good Cincinnati team.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - WhoseHouse? - 11-02-2018 05:14 PM

(11-02-2018 10:29 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Good thing UCF doesn’t play a tough schedule. Their secondary would get totally torched playing a good passing team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Houston will put their secondary to the test if they meet in the CCG. Only problem is they'll likely torch us back because our secondary is pretty porous as well. Our corners can't tackle for ****. Lol

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - IWokeUpLikeThis - 11-02-2018 05:29 PM

(11-02-2018 05:12 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

Pitt started off the year getting manhandled by PSU, UCF, and losing to a crap UNC team. In their last three they've beaten Syracuse, Duke, and battled with a damn good ND team. NW lost to Duke and Akron in the non-conf but their 5-1 in Big Ten play. Their only loss was by 3 to Michigan.

Every year there's a few teams that for whatever reason just aren't ready out of the gates. Just because they round into form later in the year doesn't mean the whole conference sucks.

Astute comparison and something someone who’s watched FB as long as quo should know. Northwestern, Purdue, Pitt, & Temple have established themselves as those teams this year.

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - fishpro1098 - 11-02-2018 06:51 PM

Well, suspiciously, Temple improved once they started playing Big 10 teams.

FIFY

RE: Post Week 9 Access Top 9 - dbackjon - 11-02-2018 07:22 PM

Including a loss to a BAD FCS team.

UCF is not a top 20 team.