CSNbbs
Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? (/thread-863057.html)

Pages: 1 2

Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - AuzGrams - 11-11-2018 08:15 AM

Wouldn't the AAC have more credibility as a claim to be in the CFP or linked with the P5 if BYU and Army were in the conference as football only?

West Division
BYU
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Cincinnati

East Division
UCF
USF
UCONN
Temple
Army
Navy
East Carolina

8 conference games, BYU gets to schedule power opponents for the other 4. Army-Navy can be played on Black Friday.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - 200yrs2late - 11-11-2018 08:20 AM

No

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Tigers2B1 - 11-11-2018 08:20 AM

The Big 12 grant of rights expires 2025. In my opinion that is the next conference shake up. A year or two for that I think we will hear the some teams will be leaving the AAC and other teams will be invited, before that I doubt there will be anything.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - goodknightfl - 11-11-2018 08:23 AM

no

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Tigers2B1 - 11-11-2018 08:25 AM

(11-11-2018 08:20 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  The Big 12 grant of rights expires 2025. In my opinion that is the next conference shake up. A year or two for that I think we will hear the some teams will be leaving the AAC and other teams will be invited, before that I doubt there will be anything.

What I am saying is, the newly constituted Big 12 might have a shot with whatever remains together with the invited AAC schools. Not a great shot but one much better then the existing AAC simply adding BYU and army. That does nothing in my opinion.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - otown - 11-11-2018 08:37 AM

To have a shot, the conference needs an Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Ohio state and then a few michigan states, Arizona states etc. Being that those teams would never join the AAC, we will never get a shot at the playoffs

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - First Family Forever - 11-11-2018 08:46 AM

The answer is no . In fact it would not shock me if some schools were kicked out of the cartel. Greed is a powerful thing.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Native Georgian - 11-11-2018 08:49 AM

(11-11-2018 08:20 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  The Big 12 grant of rights expires 2025. In my opinion that is the next conference shake up. A year or two for that I think we will hear the some teams will be leaving the AAC and other teams will be invited, before that I doubt there will be anything.
Agree with this.

We in the AAC are perpetually waiting to know what the Big <12 will do. And the Big <12 is perpetually waiting to find out what Oklahoma and Texas will do. And I suspect that OU and UT honestly don’t know what they’re going to do, beyond the obvious reality that they will seek to maximize their own position, financially and otherwise.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - NothingButKnight - 11-11-2018 09:31 AM

No.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - fishpro1098 - 11-11-2018 02:15 PM

Will not add credability

but might add credibility.

Gonna disagree with some of my conference mates. Army and BYU would add solid optics to TV viewers which is a plus to TV execs. I would add them if it enhances our TV package. They both have their Olympics parked elsewhere so the transition would be minimally disruptive.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - STL_Wave - 11-12-2018 12:41 AM

BYU/Army + VCU/George Mason puts a helluva lot more eyes on the conference. We need flagship types. BYU/VCU/George Mason can be that. Army and Navy bring way beyond their size, maybe only comparable to ND.

Add those 4 and this conference goes from a crucible to a downright death match.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - UHRedcat96 - 11-12-2018 01:08 AM

No, you need at least two blue bloods regardless of how bad they are playing.
Clemson & FSU
OU & UT
Michigan & tOSU
USC & UCLA
Bama & select from 5 other SEC teams

These teams could be winless, but the conference is P5 because of attendance and tv draw.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - First Mate - 11-12-2018 08:55 AM

(11-11-2018 08:15 AM)AuzGrams Wrote:  Wouldn't the AAC have more credibility as a claim to be in the CFP or linked with the P5 if BYU and Army were in the conference as football only?

West Division
BYU
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Cincinnati

East Division
UCF
USF
UCONN
Temple
Army
Navy
East Carolina

8 conference games, BYU gets to schedule power opponents for the other 4. Army-Navy can be played on Black Friday.

Yes absolutely. BYU has a great football tradition and a national title in the modern era. Army has a tradition that goes way back.

No way adding those two hurt us as far as the CFP. The powers that be are never going to completely eliminate Navy and Army from the top level of CFB.

Although not your question but it would also help our TV marketability. BYU and Army are quality brands and really the only ones out there worth adding to the conference.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Tiger1983 - 11-12-2018 08:56 AM

No, but BYU would help cement the AAC’s P6 status.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Knights_of_UCF - 11-12-2018 08:59 AM

no

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - Newton card - 11-12-2018 06:48 PM

BYU would increase credibility, Army would decrease it. No need to add those 2 together

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - panite - 11-13-2018 01:10 PM

(11-11-2018 08:15 AM)AuzGrams Wrote:  Wouldn't the AAC have more credibility as a claim to be in the CFP or linked with the P5 if BYU and Army were in the conference as football only?

West Division
BYU
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Cincinnati

East Division
UCF
USF
UCONN
Temple
Army
Navy
East Carolina

AAC would still be the same P6 conference it claims to be on the outside looking in just like it is now. 04-cheers 07-coffee3

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - mikeinoki - 11-13-2018 01:42 PM

BYU? I could never respect a team that lost to Coach Mo.
Apologies to Cincy and UConn.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - TonyTiger06 - 11-14-2018 01:32 PM

(11-11-2018 08:25 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  

What I am saying is, the newly constituted Big 12 might have a shot with whatever remains together with the invited AAC schools. Not a great shot but one much better then the existing AAC simply adding BYU and army. That does nothing in my opinion.

I agree ... 07-coffee3. I think that the AAC would be better served to focus on getting a better conference TV package (i.e., 10-15M per team). Better Bowl Game tie-ins would be a natural byproduct of the agreement and it would reduce the likelihood of conference members like UConn or Temple leaving for the New Big East.

Also, I think that we would have our pick of Non-P5 teams that would want to join the conference at that point.

RE: Would the AAC have credability for CFP if BYU & Army were in the conference? - TonyTiger06 - 11-14-2018 01:41 PM

West Division
BYU
Memphis
Tulsa
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Cincinnati

East Division
UCF
USF
UCONN
Temple
Army
Navy
East Carolina

I don't see it. Football only maybe. So, who would be your all-sports (except football) members?

But, better TV negotiations would get us closer to P6 status than simply adding two teams, in my opinion. Conference members are feeling the financial strain of geographically spread out the conference is already.