CSNbbs
Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature (/thread-872014.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Attackcoog - 03-08-2019 12:37 AM

Last November, a bill was filed to be considered by this summers session of the Texas Legislature that will require Texas and Texas A&M to revive the annual football grudge match against one another. A recent survey found that only 4% of the public polled opposed the bill. 40% supported the bill...and lol...47% didnt care. Given that it doesnt cost the government a dime---that actually sounds like a bill that just might pass this summer. I hope it does. I grew up on that traditional game. I kinda miss it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/06/football-fans-want-aggie-longhorn-game-others-dont-care-uttt-poll/

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - BePcr07 - 03-08-2019 01:04 AM

I hope the game becomes annualized but I dislike state governments getting involved in sports

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - MWC Tex - 03-08-2019 08:10 AM

Let it happen on its own.
I don’t care if they play or not.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - MAcFroggy - 03-08-2019 10:20 AM

(03-08-2019 01:04 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  I hope the game becomes annualized but I dislike state governments getting involved in sports

Considering they are state universities I do not mind at all. The state provides funding for both of these schools, so I do not mind the state forcing them to do things now and again.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - johnintx - 03-08-2019 10:35 AM

I live in Texas. I don't have a dog in that fight. I do think they ought to play.

Though there is precedent in other states, I don't think the legislature should have to get involved.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Attackcoog - 03-08-2019 10:45 AM

(03-08-2019 10:35 AM)johnintx Wrote:  I live in Texas. I don't have a dog in that fight. I do think they ought to play.

Though there is precedent in other states, I don't think the legislature should have to get involved.

Thats me. I wish it would just happen without the Legislature being involved. That said, they are the two most heavily funded schools in the state. When you are funded as heavily as those two by the state---playing one another once a year in football isnt really much to ask in return. In the end, whether on their own or with a little legislative prodding---I'd enjoy seeing the return of an old tradition I grew up with. 04-cheers

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Baylorbears11 - 03-08-2019 10:55 AM

I’m fine with them never playing again. They ever year for over a century and then one decided that it wasn’t enough. How can TAMU and UT grow in the future if they are constantly clinging to the past?

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - IWokeUpLikeThis - 03-08-2019 10:56 AM

Great for college football

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - 10thMountain - 03-08-2019 11:04 AM

1) Government needs to stay out of this stuff and get back to work

2) It’s not going to pass

3) Never play them ever again.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - BadgerMJ - 03-08-2019 11:11 AM

(03-08-2019 11:04 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  1) Government needs to stay out of this stuff and get back to work

Exactly.

I'm sure the good people of Texas are sleeping easier knowing that the state has so few problems or issues to deal with that they can spend time on a college football game.

I have no horse in the race but it seems to me that the SCHOOLS should decide if they wish to play one another, NOT government.

If they don't, they don't.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Bobcat2013 - 03-08-2019 11:13 AM

As a Texan who is not a fan of either team, I'd rather just watch the Cowboys on Thanksgiving and not have some other teams distract the rest of my family from them.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - JRsec - 03-08-2019 11:28 AM

(03-08-2019 11:11 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 11:04 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  1) Government needs to stay out of this stuff and get back to work

Exactly.

I'm sure the good people of Texas are sleeping easier knowing that the state has so few problems or issues to deal with that they can spend time on a college football game.

I have no horse in the race but it seems to me that the SCHOOLS should decide if they wish to play one another, NOT government.

It took an act of the State legislature to force Auburn (API in those days) and Alabama to play. Now it's the money game for the SEC's regular season. Texas vs A&M has the same potential. Whether it is the Texas legislature or TV network money that force the issue it will eventually happen, and sooner rather than later I think. The reason they aren't playing now really boils down to both schools have plenty of money. But as ticket sales lag due to the number of televised games both athletic departments are eventually going to need that game as a leverage to drive donations and ticket sales. There is no love between Auburn & Alabama, Florida & Florida State, Clemson & South Carolina, but those schools have built much of their athletic marketing approaches around tickets to those season ending rivalries. You certainly won't find any love between Ole Miss and Miss State but the Egg Bowl is a money game.

If USC ever goes independent I just don't see U.C.L.A. dropping them out of spite. And I ask you would Ohio State quit playing Michigan just because they don't like those uppity bastards from that school up North? Not on your life. Aggie fans may have a burning hatred for Texas and Texas fans may delight in the snub of not playing them, but it is a mutually stupid position and cooler heads in administrations, and business minded leadership in the Athletic Departments will only see the missed opportunities of the present situation.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - GO Coogs GO!!! - 03-08-2019 11:30 AM

You mean like when the B12 was formed..... Sorry I couldn't resist!!!

That said color me......

[Image: giphy.gif]

Next.........

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Attackcoog - 03-08-2019 11:49 AM

(03-08-2019 11:28 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Exactly.

It took an act of the State legislature to force Auburn (API in those days) and Alabama to play. Now it's the money game for the SEC's regular season. Texas vs A&M has the same potential. Whether it is the Texas legislature or TV network money that force the issue it will eventually happen, and sooner rather than later I think. The reason they aren't playing now really boils down to both schools have plenty of money. But as ticket sales lag due to the number of televised games both athletic departments are eventually going to need that game as a leverage to drive donations and ticket sales. There is no love between Auburn & Alabama, Florida & Florida State, Clemson & South Carolina, but those schools have built much of their athletic marketing approaches around tickets to those season ending rivalries. You certainly won't find any love between Ole Miss and Miss State but the Egg Bowl is a money game.

If USC ever goes independent I just don't see U.C.L.A. dropping them out of spite. And I ask you would Ohio State quit playing Michigan just because they don't like those uppity bastards from that school up North? Not on your life. Aggie fans may have a burning hatred for Texas and Texas fans may delight in the snub of not playing them, but it is a mutually stupid position and cooler heads in administrations, and business minded leadership in the Athletic Departments will only see the missed opportunities of the present situation.

Exactly. This was a Oklahoma vs Texas level game. The refusal to play the game isnt about economics or business. Its about not being seen as the school that blinked first. A law requiring the game eliminates the whizzing match element of the standoff. Lets be honest---once it returns, nobody will enjoy the tradition and excitement of the game more than the students and alumni of the two schools.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - BadgerMJ - 03-08-2019 11:56 AM

Exactly.

I have no doubt that if the B1G were to collapse tomorrow that tOSU & MI would still play the game every year, as would SC/UCLA if the PAC disappeared. Rivalry, tradition, and more importantly $$$.

I was coming at it from the view that scheduling decisions aren't necessarily something that I want government getting involved in. If the schools wish to remain stupid or too stubborn to realize the benefits of rekindling the game, shame on them, but I still wouldn't want legislation passed regarding it.

Hopefully, as you said, cooler heads will prevail and the "benefits" of playing will return naturally.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - bullet - 03-08-2019 12:56 PM

(03-08-2019 11:49 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Exactly.

Exactly. This was a Oklahoma vs Texas level game. The refusal to play the game isnt about economics or business. Its about not being seen as the school that blinked first. A law requiring the game eliminates the whizzing match element of the standoff. Lets be honest---once it returns, nobody will enjoy the tradition and excitement of the game more than the students and alumni of the two schools.

It has not been close to the ou game in my lifetime. Actually when I was in school it had slipped to the #4 game behind Arkansas and houston. I have no interest in the game. Maybe in 10 or 15 years when they aren’t so obsessed with Texas and it gets to be a more normal level of rivalry

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - Pervis_Griffith - 03-08-2019 01:05 PM

I'm sympathetic to those who don't want government interference in things this trivial ... because I know (like most) that more often than not, every time the government gets involved in something, things get worse. See War on Poverty for an example. But there are dozens, and dozens, of examples of this.

However ... this kind of government action, really can't have a negative consequence. So I'm all in favor of this move.

It took something similar to force UK to play U of L in hoops back in the early 1980's. It's better that they do play, than not. Ditto these two Texas titans on the football field.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - loki_the_bubba - 03-08-2019 01:22 PM

I don't understand why people think this is government interference. Texas and aTm are PART of the government.

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - solohawks - 03-08-2019 01:22 PM

They are state universities that receive a significant amount of taxpayer resources. The state of Texas is arguably missing out on a lot of tax revenue, plus it is in the public interest of the state of Texas that these two schools play. Football is a business, especially in Texas, and these schools not playing is bad for business

RE: Law Requiring Texas and Texas A&M To Play Annually Submitted to Legislature - ohio1317 - 03-08-2019 02:54 PM

This would likely end most other major out of conference games for Texas (which fans would also be opposed to). Whether people support idea in principle for them to play again or not, school will oppose and likely successfully. I expect a series between the two again, but annual probably out of question as long as Big 12 has 9 conference games.