CSNbbs
Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational (/thread-971374.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - BeatWestern! - 06-09-2023 08:12 AM

The release of the upcoming football schedules shed light on just how geographically difficult life will be for USC and UCLA.

A column by Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/08/usc-ucla-big-ten-football-schedule-logistically-irrational

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - Glenn360 - 06-09-2023 08:31 AM

A Texas 247 writer says coaches are already negative recruiting against USC/UCLA saying you don't want to go there with all that travel.

In football its 4-5 trips a year near the end of the week and back, I think Basketball & Olympic Sports will be more telling on whether or not it has a negative effect on the athletes.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - PeteTheChop - 06-09-2023 08:33 AM

[Image: 297.jpg]

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - domer1978 - 06-09-2023 08:34 AM

The Big 16 IMO needs more teams as a bridge to USC and UCLA. I believe they will be fine, but it will be really tough on the non-revenue sports.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - PeteTheChop - 06-09-2023 08:35 AM

(06-09-2023 08:31 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  A Texas 247 writer says coaches are already negative recruiting against USC/UCLA saying you don't want to go their with all that travel.

... and if the Trojans/Bruins had remained in the Pac-12, those same coaches would be telling recruits "you don't want to play in that lousy conference"

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - PeteTheChop - 06-09-2023 08:38 AM

When Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal move to the B1G, it'll be much less of an issue (not that we should expect a competing coach to stop looking for a way to negatively recruit)

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - esayem - 06-09-2023 08:42 AM

(06-09-2023 08:38 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  When Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal move to the B1G, it'll be much less of an issue (not that we should expect a competing coach to stop looking for a way to negatively recruit)

When is that again?

Because I don't see them on the future conference schedule.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - esayem - 06-09-2023 08:45 AM

It's not irrational if one considers the Big Ten further gaming the system with their rubber matches:

"Oh, Michigan lost to Northwestern, but then they beat them at home in the run-it-back so let's just scratch that loss."

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - Yosef181 - 06-09-2023 08:47 AM

(06-09-2023 08:42 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(06-09-2023 08:38 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  When Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal move to the B1G, it'll be much less of an issue (not that we should expect a competing coach to stop looking for a way to negatively recruit)

When is that again?

Because I don't see them on the future conference schedule.

He's trying to wish it into existence.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - quo vadis - 06-09-2023 09:17 AM

Sometimes, one of the good things about a great strategic move is that not only do you gain the direct benefits of that move, you then gain extra benefits because your opponent makes a hasty/rash decision to counter you.

IMO, that could well be the case with the B1G and USC/UCLA, which I think was a counter to the SEC adding TX and OU. Sure, they got a gobsmack amount of $$$ in the new media deal, but IMO they were going to get a gobsmack amount of $$$ anyway, even without USC and UCLA. And now they have this west coast island, far away from anything.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - JRsec - 06-09-2023 09:46 AM

(06-09-2023 08:33 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  [Image: 297.jpg]

Sometimes the cloud yells back, thunder.

Sometimes the cloud shoots back, lightening.

Sometimes the cloud blows you away, tornado.

And at least on a couple of occasions the cloud was shaped like a mushroom.

My point: Yelling at them is really your only option. And it's better than just taking it!

I've always like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump. Seeing him on the mast of the Shrimp Boat in a Hurricane shaking his fist at the sky and screaming, "Hear I am! Come and get me!" is the cathartic moment which alters his life. When you survive your cloud, you are supposed to get on with life. Yelling at clouds is a euphemism for surviving crap in life and is really a healthy thing! Everyone needs to rage against death. It always wins, but the fun is in making it wait and not letting it scare you.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - RUScarlets - 06-09-2023 09:56 AM

But Canzano says UCLA is coming back in a few years!

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - superdeluxe - 06-09-2023 09:56 AM

You have regional partners just waiting for that invitation

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - micahandme - 06-09-2023 10:26 AM

(06-09-2023 08:34 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  The Big 16 IMO needs more teams as a bridge to USC and UCLA. I believe they will be fine, but it will be really tough on the non-revenue sports.

Football is fine. You're right.

Getting on a plane to Seattle or to Chicago (assuming direct flights...) is no different.

Football only has to do it 5 times each fall (plus CCG and playoffs, if you're lucky).

The Olympic sports will do it more frequently. I don't know which sport plays the most games...but I'd love to see their schedule. I'd imagine it'll include weeklong road trips with 2-3 stops. Rough stretches...but better than making 2 or 3 individual trips.

(Basketball...I'm thinking fly to Rutgers Thursday morning and play that night...then fly to Chicago for Illinois on a Saturday afternoon...then home Saturday night. Two road games, two nights away from home, one trip...)

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - TDenverFan - 06-09-2023 10:36 AM

(06-09-2023 08:31 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  A Texas 247 writer says coaches are already negative recruiting against USC/UCLA saying you don't want to go there with all that travel.

In football its 4-5 trips a year near the end of the week and back, I think Basketball & Olympic Sports will be more telling on whether or not it has a negative effect on the athletes.

You could probably set it up so each school only ever has to make 4 trips out east, if it's a year where you have 5 road conference games, make sure one of them is @ the other LA school.

Like this year USC has 5 road conference games, but one of them is @ UCLA, so they only have 4 conference road trips.

Also, most conference games in the PAC 12 also required a flight. LA to Seattle or Palo Alto is obviously still easier than LA to State College, but it's not like the PAC 12 was purely a bus league.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - bryanw1995 - 06-09-2023 10:46 AM

(06-09-2023 08:12 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  The release of the upcoming football schedules shed light on just how geographically difficult life will be for USC and UCLA.

A column by Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/08/usc-ucla-big-ten-football-schedule-logistically-irrational

I loved this gem in the final paragraph:

So the Big Ten got the interior wiring right. But that’s within the new framework of a conference that doesn’t make sense geographically, and puts its two new members at an extreme disadvantage.

The B1G does love to put new members at an extreme disadvantage, this is just par for the course.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - goofus - 06-09-2023 10:51 AM

Forde mentioned that PSU us not anybody #1 rival after 30 years in the conference. I think if MD would have been brought in alone or maybe with Mizzou, MD and PSU would have been linked together as rivals the same way Nebraska was forced on Iowa.

Ironically if Mizzou would have been brought in with MD instead of Rutgers, then probably Neb and Mizzou probably would have got linked together as rivals. Then Iowa-Minn-Wisc could continue their own triangle affair.

The PSU-OSU-Mich-MSU link reminds of 2 couples that get together where the wives are best friends but the husbands hang out together for convenience.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - Fighting Muskie - 06-09-2023 10:53 AM

I’m sick of the bellyaching from people who ought to be smart enough to look at a darn map and realize that the LA schools were already taking a bunch of flights to their PAC 12 opponents because our west things are a lot more spread out.

I also wouldn’t be too concerned about the time zone difference either. 3:30 Eastern is 12:30 Pacific.

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - BeepBeepJeep - 06-09-2023 10:59 AM

(06-09-2023 08:35 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(06-09-2023 08:31 AM)Glenn360 Wrote:  A Texas 247 writer says coaches are already negative recruiting against USC/UCLA saying you don't want to go their with all that travel.

... and if the Trojans/Bruins had remained in the Pac-12, those same coaches would be telling recruits "you don't want to play in that lousy conference"

Yeah, what 18 year old hates the idea of living in LA and traveling across the country? What kind of negative pitch do coaches think that is?

RE: Forde: Glamorous, Yes, but the New Era of the Big Ten Is Logistically Irrational - GreenBison - 06-09-2023 11:38 AM

(06-09-2023 10:51 AM)goofus Wrote:  Forde mentioned that PSU us not anybody #1 rival after 30 years in the conference. I think if MD would have been brought in alone or maybe with Mizzou, MD and PSU would have been linked together as rivals the same way Nebraska was forced on Iowa.

Ironically if Mizzou would have been brought in with MD instead of Rutgers, then probably Neb and Mizzou probably would have got linked together as rivals. Then Iowa-Minn-Wisc could continue their own triangle affair.

The PSU-OSU-Mich-MSU link reminds of 2 couples that get together where the wives are best friends but the husbands hang out together for convenience.

These moves only benefit the school administrators and the big wigs in the conference HQs. It definitely doesn't benefit the student athletes and their fans and the alumni.