CSNbbs
Crazy Big 12 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Crazy Big 12 (/thread-971418.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Crazy Big 12 - Just Joe - 06-09-2023 10:05 PM

Ok so Yormark is especially interested in basketball.

We get word today they may be looking at SDSU/Arizona/Colorado/UConn.

We know he’s interested in Gonzaga, which would be 17.

Why not add Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s? Nobody gets football money but the same share of overall money as Gonzaga. Conference tournament at MSG.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Huan - 06-09-2023 10:09 PM

(06-09-2023 10:05 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  Ok so Yormark is especially interested in basketball.

Why not add Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s? Nobody gets football money but the same share of overall money as Gonzaga. Conference tournament at MSG.

There are rumors of conversations with at least St. John and Villanova.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Frank the Tank - 06-09-2023 10:22 PM

I still don’t think people get it: the Big East ALREADY makes P5-level money for basketball. Villanova and everyone else in the Big East won’t be getting a pay bump by going to the Big 12 AND they no longer control their conference and are subject to all of the hellfire of football-focused realignment again (which is why they split off a decade ago in the first place).

UConn is obviously in a different situation because P5 football money from the Big 12 is totally athletic department changing. It doesn’t make sense for anyone else in the Big East, though.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - DavidSt - 06-10-2023 12:12 AM

Big 12 Presidents don't want schools that don't have football. Gonzaga's academics is really bad.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Just Joe - 06-10-2023 07:06 AM

(06-09-2023 10:22 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I still don’t think people get it: the Big East ALREADY makes P5-level money for basketball. Villanova and everyone else in the Big East won’t be getting a pay bump by going to the Big 12 AND they no longer control their conference and are subject to all of the hellfire of football-focused realignment again (which is why they split off a decade ago in the first place).

UConn is obviously in a different situation because P5 football money from the Big 12 is totally athletic department changing. It doesn’t make sense for anyone else in the Big East, though.

1) What are the BE schools making per year? Someone threw out a $15 million a year number of Gonzaga goes to the Big 12. Is the BE close to that?

2) Never know if a split is around the corner and there’s no guarantee that a non-fb league is going to be included if it happens.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Kyle Mack - 06-10-2023 07:18 AM

(06-10-2023 07:06 AM)Just Joe Wrote:  
(06-09-2023 10:22 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I still don’t think people get it: the Big East ALREADY makes P5-level money for basketball. Villanova and everyone else in the Big East won’t be getting a pay bump by going to the Big 12 AND they no longer control their conference and are subject to all of the hellfire of football-focused realignment again (which is why they split off a decade ago in the first place).

1) What are the BE schools making per year? Someone threw out a $15 million a year number of Gonzaga goes to the Big 12. Is the BE close to that?

2) Never know if a split is around the corner and there’s no guarantee that a non-fb league is going to be included if it happens.

Fox pays them about 5 Million a year.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Jhawkinva - 06-10-2023 07:40 AM

(06-10-2023 12:12 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Big 12 Presidents don't want schools that don't have football. Gonzaga's academics is really bad.

I know US News rankings have serious flaws, but saying the #83 ranked national university has "really bad" academics doesn't sit right.

Gonzaga is a strong university, even if they're not a powerful research institution.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - PeteTheChop - 06-10-2023 07:49 AM

(06-09-2023 10:05 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  Why not add Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s? Nobody gets football money but the same share of overall money as Gonzaga. Conference tournament at MSG.

No. Just No.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - UpStreamRedTeam - 06-10-2023 08:04 AM

(06-10-2023 12:12 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Big 12 Presidents don't want schools that don't have football. Gonzaga's academics is really bad.

Gonzaga is rated as the #83 National University is the USNWR rankings. By what measure are Gonzaga’s academics bad?

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Kyle Mack - 06-10-2023 08:07 AM

(06-10-2023 08:04 AM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Gonzaga is rated as the #83 National University is the USNWR rankings. By measure are Gonzaga’s academics bad?

He just makes stuff up.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - gosports1 - 06-10-2023 08:15 AM

If anyone in the BE, not named UConn, wanted to be in a conference with FB playing schools, they'd be better off waiting to see what happens with the ACC. Syracuse, BC and Wake would make more sense than being in a league with Colorado, Arizona and BYU. To be clear I don't expect or want this to happen.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - mikeinsec127 - 06-10-2023 08:24 AM

Out of the BE teams, I can only see UConn moving to the B12 to save its football. Frankly, since they just returned to the BE from the AAC to placate the M/WBB programs, I think that is a long shot. There is no way that any BE BB only school goes to the B12. UConn and BC/Cuse showed that leaving a major Northeast centric bus league to chase football $$ has not worked out well. These schools have their recruiting bases, alumni bases and student bases concentrated along their Northeast Corridor. They value drivable away games against long time rivals and a MBBT at MSG over anything else.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - TrojanCampaign - 06-10-2023 08:32 AM

Lmao no they don't.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Yosef181 - 06-10-2023 08:44 AM

Okay, I'll add them to the list. The new Big 12:

1. West Virginia
2. Cincinnati
3. UCF
4. Houston
5. Baylor
6. TCU
7. Texas Tech
8. Oklahoma State
9. Kansas
10. Kansas State
11. Iowa State
12. BYU
13. Gonzaga
14. Arizona
15. Arizona State
16. Colorado
17. Utah
18. Cal
19. Stanford
20. Washington
21. Oregon
22. Washington State
23. Oregon State
24. UConn
25. Boston College
26. Syracuse
27. Pitt
28. Louisville
29. Wake Forest
30. Duke
31. Georgia Tech
32. South Florida
33. San Diego State
34. UNLV
35. Memphis
36. Colorado State
37. Fresno State
38. SMU
39. Tulane
40. Boise State
41. Nebraska
42. Villanova
43. Georgetown
44. St. John's

RE: Crazy Big 12 - GoldenWarrior11 - 06-10-2023 08:48 AM

If Gonzaga was given a strong TV valuation from network and/or network executives, and the B12 Presidents aren't in love with adding them, why wouldn't the Big East pursue them to give a stronger boost to their upcoming TV contract negotiations?

RE: Crazy Big 12 - DawgNBama - 06-10-2023 09:03 AM

(06-09-2023 10:05 PM)Just Joe Wrote:  Ok so Yormark is especially interested in basketball.

Well, here ya go, from two Big East posters themselves:

(06-10-2023 08:15 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  If anyone in the BE, not named UConn, wanted to be in a conference with FB playing schools, they'd be better off waiting to see what happens with the ACC. Syracuse, BC and Wake would make more sense than being in a league with Colorado, Arizona and BYU. To be clear I don't expect or want this to happen.

(06-10-2023 08:48 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  If Gonzaga was given a strong TV valuation from network and/or network executives, and the B12 Presidents aren't in love with adding them, why wouldn't the Big East pursue them to give a stronger boost to their upcoming TV contract negotiations?

Don't forget also that the Big East schools love playing each other. They were in a conference with football teams before, and the football teams left them. Can't blame 'em for being 'gun-shy'.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Lurker Above - 06-10-2023 09:26 AM

I doubt this is correct. The Big East is great and valuable as is, but joining a national conference would bring interest from across the nation, especially if they belonged to the clear best basketball conference. That what Yormark wants, not just the Big 12 being the best conference, but being the best by far. There is value in that, both financially and safety and security for the conference.

It would also protect both the current Big East and Big 12 schools from being left behind. More specifically the Big East from being left behind in a P2 or P4 breakaway in basketball, and the Big 12 from a P2 football breakaway because the Big 12 could retaliate by breaking away in basketball. While neither breakaway is probable, that is the nature of buying insurance, which is smart when dealing with existential threats.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - Lurker Above - 06-10-2023 09:32 AM

(06-10-2023 08:15 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  If anyone in the BE, not named UConn, wanted to be in a conference with FB playing schools, they'd be better off waiting to see what happens with the ACC. Syracuse, BC and Wake would make more sense than being in a league with Colorado, Arizona and BYU. To be clear I don't expect or want this to happen.

I disagree. UConn, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville in the Big12 would be epic. Add Duke and your printing money. Add the Big East to the above and the Big 12 would be a monster worth more than B1G and SEC basketball combined.

RE: Crazy Big 12 - bill dazzle - 06-10-2023 09:39 AM

As I've posted previously, I could actually envision Creighton as a Big 12 member, particularly if the league added Gonzaga, too.

There is a future scenario that could (possibly) see the best Big East programs join either the Big 12 or the ACC. If the money/stability is extremely enticing, those top-tier BE schools would have to consider a move. We are seeing a consolidation of sorts in high-level college sports, and some Big East programs could eventually be a part of that "concentrating of brands."

My gut feeling is that UConn eventually leaves the Big East for the Big 12 or a future ACC that could look a good bit different than the ACC of today. Then the 10 remaining Big East members stay united and the league adds two to four members (with Gonzaga, I would hope, in the mix).

RE: Crazy Big 12 - goodknightfl - 06-10-2023 09:44 AM

(06-10-2023 08:04 AM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  

Gonzaga is rated as the #83 National University is the USNWR rankings. By what measure are Gonzaga’s academics bad?

Fantasy Island brochures.