Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: The Walking Dead [Warning: Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
benny_t Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT: The Walking Dead
(08-31-2015 09:15 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(08-31-2015 08:47 PM)gassman Wrote:  I was hoping that in this show they would illustrate that a first wave of victims died from the virus right off the bat and that provided the initial wave of walkers. I love the shows but I have never bought that people turning into zombies only after being bitten or dying of some other cause would overwhelm society. An initial wave of deaths by the virus supplying a large supply of zombies within a few days WOULD overwhelm however.

I've wondered the same thing about how it could so quickly overwhelm a society but then when you think about it, it's feasible.

For instance, currently, in a typical week approximately 50,000 Americans die from natural and unnatural causes and they're spread out from coast to coast, in rural and urban areas. If this virus was only concentrated in one city, it's possible to contain it but since people die everywhere and they'd become zombies, it's very likely that they'd bite or kill others who'd then die and become zombies, which would grow the totals exponentially. Add in how quickly hospitals would be overwhelmed with their normal workload and now the addition of all the people being sick or bitten, and now you've got choas spreading quickly, resulting in some of what we've already seen in this new show....riots, uncertainty, fear, etc.

You did mention riots but I think you left something out. The people are rioting because the police killed an innocent hobo. They shot the poor man 20 times right in the middle of the street. I'm sure the police have been notified about the virus that turns people into strange bullet resistant people but the public doesn't know that so you get these riots. Here is where the government is dealing with a double edged sword. You make a broadcast that people are dying, coming back and trying to eat other people and there will probably be riots, looting and people stockpiling food, water and other goods. If you don't tell the people anything about the virus then you get what we have in the show. The main benefit of the first scenario is that people know to avoid the dead so it would probably slow down the fall of society unless a lot of people start getting killed for supplies and stuff.
09-01-2015 06:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Some hints that the initial infected got that way through drug use. The church druggies and the homeless (drug use in that part of society is prevalent) seem to be the first wave. No real indication they were bit or even died before turning either. Just my guess.
09-01-2015 03:12 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Good indications that the cops have been clued in too. The one cop loading up his cruiser with water seemed like he was getting ready to run after being clued in. The other cop shooting the punk rocker zombie right in the head was an indication that she knew as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 03:18 PM by 72Tiger.)
09-01-2015 03:17 PM
bit_9 Offline

(09-01-2015 03:17 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Good indications that the cops have been clued in too. The one cop loading up his cruiser with water seemed like he was getting ready to run after being clued in. The other cop shooting the punk rocker zombie right in the head was an indication that she knew as well.

I thought that as well for both scenes. She went straight for the head shot... missed the first one but you could tell she was clued in.
09-01-2015 03:20 PM
benny_t Offline
All American

(09-01-2015 03:12 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Some hints that the initial infected got that way through drug use. The church druggies and the homeless (drug use in that part of society is prevalent) seem to be the first wave. No real indication they were bit or even died before turning either. Just my guess.

The only way I think drugs are involved is because they may have overdosed and turned once they were dead. Tobias said there were reports of the virus in 5 other states so i would think that would be too wide spread if it was some bad drugs. I don't think we will ever be clued in on what the exact cause of the virus is. I think they mentioned something about flu shots in the opener but I'm not 100%.
09-02-2015 07:09 AM
BigBlue804 Offline
Water Engineer

I find it hard to believe they will show us how the virus first started. They want to slowly build everything. And if there's a season 2...Expect some of the questions you have this season, be answer in season 2, 3, or even 4 if they drag it
09-02-2015 09:12 AM
SPACESCAPE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion
kirkman has said that he is not going to reveal the cause of the outbreak
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 05:49 AM by SPACESCAPE.)
09-03-2015 05:49 AM
SPACESCAPE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion
Kirkman said that going back to explain how the government originally collapsed, "...doesn't interest me, for the time being...I may change my mind eventually."[1] As to the cause of the zombie outbreak, Kirkman wrote, "I have ideas [about the cause of the zombie plague]...but it's nothing set in stone because I never plan on writing it. So yes...I do know...kind of."[2]

In response to a question:

"I think you should elaborate more on how people can turn into zombies without one biting you, or how this whole mess started in the first place. Was it like a plague or a rapture kind of thing?"

Kirkman responded:

"...That starts to get into the origin of all this stuff, and I think that's unimportant to the series itself. There will be smaller answers as things progress...but never will we see the whole picture."[3]
09-03-2015 05:50 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
Kirkman is a douche anyway.
09-03-2015 10:10 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

OT: The Walking Dead
FYI: AMC and SundanceTV have TV anywhere apps now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-07-2015 01:43 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
i know it's easy to want to bust a teenager in the mouf since i raised two of them into their twenties. they're fine now.

but god almighty these teens in the new show are wearing me out.
09-14-2015 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bit_9 Offline

It feels like I'm watching a Lifetime movie, with some random zombies.
09-14-2015 03:28 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
I am having problems with this show because of the illogical way people are acting.

We're going east to get away from all this chaos, we don't need food, just drugs.

Just saw the next door neighbor eat the across the street neighbors. Let's play Monopoly.

Let's be suspicious of the family that saved our lives by offering us shelter during a riot. Stay at our houses? Can't you go back to your burned out barber shop"?

Let's go next door to get a shotgun. we don't need the shells.

Hi National Guardsman. I'm just going to look at you suspiciously even though I know neighbor lady was a zombie. Why would I ask questions about what is going on?

Perhaps, I would be eaten quickly, but I feel like I would know a lot more than these people especially with armed authority in the hood.
09-14-2015 05:39 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I doubt that we'll ever find out what caused the dead to rise. However, I gave some thought to what another poster said about 50K people dying per week. I agree that slow-moving zombies would not pose too much of a problem if people knew what they were dealing with.

However, think about it like this: 50K dead arise, all over the nation. They bite an average of .5 people each. That's 25K more. Society collapses, which accounts for more deaths. Power outages alone would kill of thousands of folks, depending one the time of year and the locations (folks in cities would be more vunerable). We've "only" got about half of the population that own guns, only a few of them would be able to shoot something the size of a head from 20 feet away. The ones left behind would be divided into the lucky, the decent and the mean... and the mean ones would start trying to take from both the decent and the lucky.

We also have to think about the religious ramifications. There would be mass suicides, which would lead to more undead, etc. I could envision something like this ending the world as we know it even if the zombies move slow.

I'm getting ready now. LOL
09-14-2015 07:09 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
The 6 Most Ridiculous Things From Last Night's 'Fear The Walking Dead'
http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/23afe...qqx.nup9pe

My personal favorite on the list because I though the same thing.
Quote:3) What The Fu@# Was Up With This Backyard?
[Image: AXmAEzoESa6TJEjPvvF4_Screen%20Shot%20201...1%20PM.png]
Quote:I do not claim to be a backyard scientist. I never went to any fancy backyard college. But for the life of me, I could not figure out what the fu@# was going on with this backyard last night. Everyone was just running back and forth through some weird demon maze with wind chimes for what felt like seventeen minutes in the dark. Was this the only way to access the house? Does anyone actually have sh@# like this in their backyard? Welcome to ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ where the most complex character so far is a backyard.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 11:08 PM by topper1296.)
09-14-2015 11:03 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
There is another reason to bring a lot of pills that have nothing to do with being addicted to them. When things get real bad, statistically a woman tends to take that way out for her or her family. I was thinking maybe she was keeping them around for that reason.
09-15-2015 01:46 AM
bit_9 Offline

haha we were watching it and they went into the backyard and I asked my wife "Is David Bowe about to bust out with some trolls?"
09-15-2015 07:41 AM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
It seems to me that a place like Los Angeles, with it's huge population, would have no places not under zombie siege.

Think about the fence line at the prison. They had people that did nothing but clear walkers off the wall and that was in rural Georgia. That neighborhood fense would constantly be under zombie attack.

Los Angeles proper has a population of 13 million people. There is an ocean to the southwest. There literally would be no where to hide.

It seems if you can't make it in rural Georgia, there is no chance in a metropolitan area. Going to DC always seemed like a bad idea.
09-29-2015 07:48 AM
benny_t Offline
All American

(09-29-2015 07:48 AM)Tintin Wrote:  It seems to me that a place like Los Angeles, with it's huge population, would have no places not under zombie siege.

Think about the fence line at the prison. They had people that did nothing but clear walkers off the wall and that was in rural Georgia. That neighborhood fense would constantly be under zombie attack.

Los Angeles proper has a population of 13 million people. There is an ocean to the southwest. There literally would be no where to hide.

It seems if you can't make it in rural Georgia, there is no chance in a metropolitan area. Going to DC always seemed like a bad idea.

They have the army going out on patrols killing any walker within sight. Clearly they evacuated most of the city as well. Then you have the arena that is now full of walkers. How many other places like that are completely overrun where the army put them in there and then locked them in.
09-29-2015 08:07 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
apparently this show's ratings are slipping.
09-29-2015 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.