Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: The Walking Dead [Warning: Spoilers]
Bookmark and Share
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT: The Walking Dead [Warning: Spoilers]
(04-03-2016 09:58 PM)chidave Wrote:  I think its Abraham because he took the first hit. I hate they made this a cliffhanger though, it would have had more impact if we knew the identity.

In comics Glen took the first hit. In fact the dialogue from that whole scene was nearly verbatim from the comics. Thats the only reason I think it might be Glen. Abraham and Daryl are my top two though.
04-04-2016 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
Looked to me like Negan kind of turned before picking the one getting their head smashed in. I believe Glen was the only one that was out of line that would need a 45 degree turn
04-04-2016 01:51 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Maggie would have been screaming her lungs out if it was Glen.
04-04-2016 02:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Well they certainly made it as difficult as possible---they basically had the entire cast (save Carol and Morgan) lined up as possible victims. If they follow the current trend, they seem to kill off middling characters just as they become useful---so if the pattern holds, Eugene would be my guess.
04-04-2016 02:54 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Brutal. Not Negan's bat, but Alan Sepinwall's review:

Quote:"Last Day on Earth" was just about the opposite of a creative miracle. It was every bad decision the show has made over the last few years, all included in a dumb, lifeless, repetitive 90-minute episode that couldn't even be bothered to give the comic book fans the one moment they'd been waiting for — and that the show had been desperately teasing since the fall, in hopes that news that this sociopath with the anthropomorphised bat would forgive every dumb decision involving the herd, Glenn crawling under the dumpster, Carol's abrupt personality transplant, etc. — by instead going with a cliffhanger ending that will leave the victim's identity a secret up until fall. (Or, at least, until that actor signs on to do another show.) At times, there seems to be a schism between fans who have read the comics(*) and those who haven't: the finale impressively found a way to alienate everyone equally, whether they knew what was coming (and were curious to see how or if the show might deviate from it) or didn't.

Sepinwall who has reviewed the show since the beginning has said he is giving up on it and won't watch it anymore.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchin...liffhanger
04-04-2016 04:26 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
I'm guessing Abraham met Lucille. He's been a minor character with little to no story arc up until the 2nd half of this season and then all of a sudden there's the Abraham with Sasha/Rosita arc as well as the Abraham/Eugene love fest in the last couple episodes. They built Abraham up and made the fans feel for him...which makes him perfect for killing off. They can say it was a major character.

I really wanted it to be Rick because I'm tired of his stupidity and fake Georgia accent but that's not going to happen.

Some are saying it is Daryl but I think that's unlikely, given he was wounded. Can't see Negan killing off someone perceived as being weak or near death (same applies to Maggie).

Negan needed to kill off a strong member of the group to set an example. Abraham was the only one who stood tall to Negan (albeit on his knees) and also looked Abraham directly in the eyes. Also, I think Abraham was the only one that didn't have fear in his eyes and on the verge of crying while lined up waiting for Lucille.

Others are saying it is Glen. Yes, the comics said it'd be Glen but we all know the TV Show has taken a different path occasionally to keep things unpredictable.
04-04-2016 04:57 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I think it will be Daryl for Several reasons. First the Daryl character wasn't part of the comic so the show runner has had to create a storyline from pieces taken from other characters. Second Daryl was present at every showdown with the saviors so there's definitely a revenge factor. Finally Reedus has his own show that will shoot on roughly the same schedule as TWD.

Second choice is Abraham, Denise got the arrow meant from him based on the comic. His character has also kind of became stagnant. The show runner really needs to get rid of one of the characters not in the comics after issue 100 or the TV show will start to get way off track from the comic.

Wildcards

Maggie, Negan joked he should kill her to get her out of her misery. Also Glenn may have tagged her when he freaked out after Negan's comment.

Carl, I noticed the gun he was carrying was left in front of him, Negan picked it up and asked is this yours? He followed up with you took this from us, then stuck the gun in his waste band. Negan knows Carl is Rick's son so he could kill him to make the biggest statement. I really doubt it will be Carl.
04-04-2016 05:23 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have a question for those who thought this was a well written show. They made a big deal earlier in the season about Rick's group having an RPG. Where was said RPG last night. It could have taken out any of those road blocks.

And as for as finding out who was killed last night. Be prepared for waiting a couple of episodes in the next season before we know. They showed us the governor back story for two or three episodes before they addressed the attack on the prison. It was three episodes before we knew if Glenn lived. The writers will continue to troll their viewers and destroy good will.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 06:40 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
04-04-2016 06:38 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I have to go with Abraham. Negan rules by fear and Abraham, in true Abraham fashion, didn't show any, as someone else mentioned. That would be the smart choice for Negan and I believe he's pretty smart.

I think the episode was great because it exposed Rick to the reality that they can't handle everything. In hindsight, he should have gotten even more cocky, listened to Carl, and engaged the first group they ran in to. It was out of character for Rick not to do that, he had fairly equal numbers and, based on how easy it has been to kill Saviours, everything would be pointing to an easy task in dispatching that small of group.
04-04-2016 06:49 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2016 06:38 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I have a question for those who thought this was a well written show. They made a big deal earlier in the season about Rick's group having an RPG. Where was said RPG last night. It could have taken out any of those road blocks.

And as for as finding out who was killed last night. Be prepared for waiting a couple of episodes in the next season before we know. They showed us the governor back story for two or three episodes before they addressed the attack on the prison. It was three episodes before we knew if Glenn lived. The writers will continue to troll their viewers and destroy good will.

They have the RPG, but I don't believe they have any more ammo for it. I can't remember if Abraham got 2 or 3 rounds for it, I know they have fired 2 already. I thought the same thing, when they hit the last road block and there were 30-40 bad guys all together.
04-04-2016 06:55 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-04-2016 06:38 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I have a question for those who thought this was a well written show. They made a big deal earlier in the season about Rick's group having an RPG. Where was said RPG last night. It could have taken out any of those road blocks.

They had an RPG but it only had a couple shells with it when Daryl got it off the bridge. He used one to blow up the motorcycle Saviors and he used one to ignite the lake in Alexandria. So even if they had one or two more, it looked like the Saviors had things pretty sewn up as to capturing them and had out-thought any contingency they were likely to make. Go try to get some RPG shells right now while they are available on every military base and see what that gets you. Now imagine every military base, gun, and surplus store has been picked over to the point that two major surviving groups can't even find rounds for their normal firearms.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 08:03 PM by MUther.)
04-04-2016 08:02 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-04-2016 06:38 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  And as for as finding out who was killed last night. Be prepared for waiting a couple of episodes in the next season before we know. They showed us the governor back story for two or three episodes before they addressed the attack on the prison. It was three episodes before we knew if Glenn lived. The writers will continue to troll their viewers and destroy good will.

They said on Talking Dead last night that the story ended where it left off. The next story begins with the void that the deceased character left and how it changes the other characters and sends them on their new paths.

Show me another show that doesn't leave cliff hangers on their season finales. Even sitcoms do this. It's not trolling. It's a proven formula for getting viewers to come back the next season. So prove them wrong by not watching (doubt it) or be like the rest of us sheep that enjoy the entertainment. But to keep watching and complain about what you're watching when you have a choice not to watch it just seems futile. It's like you don't want to stop watching by yourself so you're trying to convince others to do it with you?
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 08:12 PM by MUther.)
04-04-2016 08:11 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
OT: The Walking Dead [Warning: Spoilers]
(04-04-2016 08:11 PM)MUther Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 06:38 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  And as for as finding out who was killed last night. Be prepared for waiting a couple of episodes in the next season before we know. They showed us the governor back story for two or three episodes before they addressed the attack on the prison. It was three episodes before we knew if Glenn lived. The writers will continue to troll their viewers and destroy good will.

They said on Talking Dead last night that the story ended where it left off. The next story begins with the void that the deceased character left and how it changes the other characters and sends them on their new paths.

Show me another show that doesn't leave cliff hangers on their season finales. Even sitcoms do this. It's not trolling. It's a proven formula for getting viewers to come back the next season. So prove them wrong by not watching (doubt it) or be like the rest of us sheep that enjoy the entertainment. But to keep watching and complain about what you're watching when you have a choice not to watch it just seems futile. It's like you don't want to stop watching by yourself so you're trying to convince others to do it with you?

I think the issue is it ruined one of the influential comic scenes
04-04-2016 08:52 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Screw the RPG....this is what they needed. 04-rock
[Image: tumblr_n4t8b8pX9z1snghrzo1_500.jpg]
04-04-2016 09:45 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

At this point I am entertained by the train wreck it is. The majority of the feedback and reviews is they blew it with the finale. I have no problem with cliffhangers, but they have to be done right. In today's social media society, there is no way the secret will be kept until the new season, which will ruin their big secret. Photos will be leaked, casting news, nothing can be kept under wraps from a fan base that wants. To know.

A better cliffhanger would have been to reveal who was killed and cut to black. The buzz in the off season would be how will the other characters react. There would be fan tributes all over Facebook to the fallen character. The buzz going into the next season would be stronger and you wouldn't have to worry about leaks. Instead you have half your fan base pissed off and feeling trolled and the other half trying to guess. A game that ends as soon as the secret is leaked.

And in answer to your first question, the best show ever didn't use cliffhangers and was one of the most suspenseful show ever - Breaking Bad.

Example - the end of Season 4, Walt takes out Gus. If the ending had been Walking Dead style, the finale would have ended with A big explosion' and you wouldn't know if Gus was dead or not. The way Breaking Bad did it is you have Gus walking out with his face blown off, an instantly iconic image, and the episode ends with Walt telling his wife "I won". The viewer all during the off season wondered what would come next now that Walt was at the top, instead of did Gus live or die. Can't you see how one builds more intensity for the upcoming season than the other?

I can name plenty of other quality shows that don't use cliffhangers or at least know how to do them correctly.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 10:22 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
04-04-2016 10:17 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

(04-04-2016 05:23 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  I think it will be Daryl for Several reasons. First the Daryl character wasn't part of the comic so the show runner has had to create a storyline from pieces taken from other characters. Second Daryl was present at every showdown with the saviors so there's definitely a revenge factor. Finally Reedus has his own show that will shoot on roughly the same schedule as TWD.

Second choice is Abraham, Denise got the arrow meant from him based on the comic. His character has also kind of became stagnant. The show runner really needs to get rid of one of the characters not in the comics after issue 100 or the TV show will start to get way off track from the comic.

Wildcards

Maggie, Negan joked he should kill her to get her out of her misery. Also Glenn may have tagged her when he freaked out after Negan's comment.

Carl, I noticed the gun he was carrying was left in front of him, Negan picked it up and asked is this yours? He followed up with you took this from us, then stuck the gun in his waste band. Negan knows Carl is Rick's son so he could kill him to make the biggest statement. I really doubt it will be Carl.

I like everything you said. Only part I don't agree with is the last part. I don't think there is any way it is Carl. Another poster already mentioned it (I'm pretty sure.) Anyways, before swinging, Negan said something along the lines of "if anyone screams, rip out the kids other eye and feed it to his dad."

So that line automatically rules out both Carl and Rick as the people getting the bat.
04-04-2016 10:22 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-04-2016 10:17 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

At this point I am entertained by the train wreck it is. The majority of the feedback and reviews is they blew it with the finale. I have no problem with cliffhangers, but they have to be done right. In today's social media society, there is no way the secret will be kept until the new season, which will ruin their big secret. Photos will be leaked, casting news, nothing can be kept under wraps from a fan base that wants. To know.

A better cliffhanger would have been to reveal who was killed and cut to black. The buzz in the off season would be how will the other characters react. There would be fan tributes all over Facebook to the fallen character. The buzz going into the next season would be stronger and you wouldn't have to worry about leaks. Instead you have half your fan base pissed off and feeling trolled and the other half trying to guess. A game that ends as soon as the secret is leaked.

And in answer to your first question, the best show ever didn't use cliffhangers and was one of the most suspenseful show ever - Breaking Bad.

Example - the end of Season 4, Walt takes out Gus. If the ending had been Walking Dead style, the finale would have ended with A big explosion' and you wouldn't know if Gus was dead or not. The way Breaking Bad did it is you have Gus walking out with his face blown off, an instantly iconic image, and the episode ends with Walt telling his wife "I won". The viewer all during the off season wondered what would come next now that Walt was at the top, instead of did Gus live or die. Can't you see how one builds more intensity for the upcoming season than the other?

I can name plenty of other quality shows that don't use cliffhangers or at least know how to do them correctly.
Breaking Bad was exactly what I was going to use as an example... completely agree.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
04-04-2016 10:44 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

Breaking Bad had plenty of cliffhanger episodes. If you don't remember them, simply type Breaking Bad cliffhangers in Google. Sorry you are disappointed in the show, I think you should find something else to watch if it aggravates you so much. No reason being mad about a tv show.
04-04-2016 10:58 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(04-04-2016 10:58 PM)banker Wrote:  

Breaking Bad had plenty of cliffhanger episodes. If you don't remember them, simply type Breaking Bad cliffhangers in Google. Sorry you are disappointed in the show, I think you should find something else to watch if it aggravates you so much. No reason being mad about a tv show.

I don't have to type anything into Google as I have watched the entire series at least four or five times.

Anything that could be considered a cliffhanger in Breaking Bad left the viewer wondering what is going to happen next, not what just happened. A good cliff hanger doesn't leave the viewer trying to figure out all season what just happened.

With that which season ending episode of Breaking Bad is a cliffhanger
Season 1 ends with Tuco driving away after beating one of his men to death. Walt and Jesse stare in shock. Note the action takes place and the episode ends with the characters reacting.

season 2 ends with two planes crashing. Note that the season doesn't end with the planes about to crash into each other.

Season 3 is the closest thing to a cliff hanger there is as it ends with Jesse pointing the gun at Gayle. He pulls the trigger. Note that it was assumed by most that he killed Gayle, so there was not much of a cliffhanger, other than the viewer wondering how Jesse would deal with this.

I've already discussed season 4

Season 5 part 1 ended Hank sitting on the John and putting two and two together about Walt. Had this been Walking Dead style, the episode would end with the viewer not knowing whether he was putting it all together, but as Hank looks up and into the camera, you know that he knows about Walt. The viewer can't wait to find out what happens next.

And of course Season 5 part 2 doesn't have a cliff hanger in that it ends the series with Walt lying dead.

All thru Breaking bad, the "cliffhangers" have been how is the characters going to handle what just happened, not the viewer trying to guess what just happened. Walking dead has done it twice now, first with Glenn and his Magic Dumpster and now with Negan.
04-04-2016 11:16 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

And I'm not mad at the show. Just amazed at how many bad decisions the show runners can make.
04-04-2016 11:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.