Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] AAC TV proposal
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: [split] AAC TV proposal
(02-01-2018 11:33 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  We won't be signing a single network deal, we will be dividing up our inventory

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

20-25 games---NBC/NBC-Sports

20-25 games---ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

The rest---CBS-Sports or a streamer.

Thats how you get to 6-8 million a team.
02-01-2018 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(02-01-2018 12:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 11:33 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  We won't be signing a single network deal, we will be dividing up our inventory

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Actually I believe this is how you get 8-10 million per team.

The most likely scenario is we sell more football to one {30 games} than the other {20 games}. The first deal would be light on bball. The second one will have more basketball.

Deal Z: 4-5 million

30 football games (1st and 3rd pick each week)
Conference Championship football
50 basketball games (3rd and 4th pick)
1st pick women's basketball games

OTA network and their sports channels or ESPN. This deal would fit best with NBC, 1 OTA game a week, 1 NBC sports game. Basketball OTA option if it's a good one, NBC sports for the other games.

Deal Y: 3-4 million

20 football games (2nd pick)
70 basketball games (1st and 2nd pick)
Basketball conference tourny
Baseball

OTA network and their sports channels or ESPN. This is the one for ESPN. They will bid a little less then what they did last deal but come away with similar content and as far as ESPN/2/News/U is concerned they'll basically be the same as this year. ESPN also dumps the conferences digital production. This is also a likely target for CBS or NBC if they are outbid on the Deal Z. Basketball would sit nicely with cbs' programming already, solid football for their sports network. Baseball is a solid filler for content.

Deal X: 1 million or less

10 football games (4th pick)
30 basketball games (5th pick)
1st pick of Olympic sports
Remaining women's basketball

Digital network or ESPN/CBSsn/NBCsports filler for the networks who need content.

Deal W: Returned to schools

12 football games
42 basketball games
Any women basketball games not picked, any Olympic sports left

Some schools will make some money off of these but it will probably vary a good deal. Local broadcasts, digital, school networks.
02-01-2018 12:54 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(02-01-2018 12:54 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

The most likely scenario is we sell more football to one {30 games} than the other {20 games}. The first deal would be light on bball. The second one will have more basketball.

OTA network and their sports channels or ESPN. This deal would fit best with NBC, 1 OTA game a week, 1 NBC sports game. Basketball OTA option if it's a good one, NBC sports for the other games.

Baseball

OTA network and their sports channels or ESPN. This is the one for ESPN. They will bid a little less then what they did last deal but come away with similar content and as far as ESPN/2/News/U is concerned they'll basically be the same as this year. ESPN also dumps the conferences digital production. This is also a likely target for CBS or NBC if they are outbid on the Deal Z. Basketball would sit nicely with cbs' programming already, solid football for their sports network. Baseball is a solid filler for content.

Digital network or ESPN/CBSsn/NBCsports filler for the networks who need content.

12 football games
42 basketball games

Some schools will make some money off of these but it will probably vary a good deal. Local broadcasts, digital, school networks.

We'll see. Im basing my number of the recent MLS Soccer and Premier League (US rights only) media deals. MLS Soccer has ratings that are actually below AAC ratings. Premier ratings are generally similar to slightly superior to AAC ratings. MLS has a 75 million deal (split between 3 networks) and Premier US rights are owned by NBC for 160 million. 75 million = 6.25 per team. The 160 million dollar Premier contract would indicate 13 million per AAC team. So anywhere in that range is not totally unreasonable---but given that the cord cutting has put some pressure on the networks---and given our current valuation is just 2 million per team---Ive leaned toward the lower end of that range.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2018 02:21 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-01-2018 02:20 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Stumbled across this article from mid-2017. I usually catch his stuff, but I must have missed this one. That said, its uncanny how much his expectation sounds exactly like what many of us have been suggesting. Matt's been following this stuff for quite some time and is pretty knowledgeable in the college TV space, so his opinion is worth checking out.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2017/...ights.html
02-05-2018 08:51 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
ESPN is becoming more trash every year...even if it’s less money offered I would love our primary network to be NBC and think it would pay off in the long run. I have trouble listening to any half time, pre game shows, and even many of the commentators on ESPN. For the sake of the fans, give me a network that knows how to produce good sports coverage.

ESPN can have the Wichita basketball games!
02-05-2018 08:58 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(02-05-2018 08:58 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  ESPN is becoming more trash every year...even if it’s less money offered I would love our primary network to be NBC and think it would pay off in the long run. I have trouble listening to any half time, pre game shows, and even many of the commentators on ESPN. For the sake of the fans, give me a network that knows how to produce good sports coverage.

I get the anger towards ESPN... But why offer ESPN one of AAC's better products just b/c we're unhappy with them.

I've been saying it for nearly 4 ever... This is a stud league and tv networks know about this league's impressive tv ratings.

That being said, current AAC tv rating results should only make Mike Aresco's life in the negotiations world that much more entertaining and probably even help him sleep better at night.

$$8 million - $$10 million per for the AAC would be the number I will settle for anything less simply get up and walk away.
02-06-2018 12:25 AM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
(02-06-2018 12:25 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 08:58 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  ESPN is becoming more trash every year...even if it’s less money offered I would love our primary network to be NBC and think it would pay off in the long run. I have trouble listening to any half time, pre game shows, and even many of the commentators on ESPN. For the sake of the fans, give me a network that knows how to produce good sports coverage.

I get the anger towards ESPN... But why offer ESPN one of AAC's better products just b/c we're unhappy with them.

I've been saying it for nearly 4 ever... This is a stud league and tv networks know about this league's impressive tv ratings.

That being said, current AAC tv rating results should only make Mike Aresco's life in the negotiations world that much more entertaining and probably even help him sleep better at night.

$$8 million - $$10 million per for the AAC would be the number I will settle for anything less simply get up and walk away.

I was just kidding about Wichita. As a fan, I’m hoping another network gets our tier 1 games.
02-06-2018 07:39 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(02-01-2018 02:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Baseball

12 football games
42 basketball games

We'll see. Im basing my number of the recent MLS Soccer and Premier League (US rights only) media deals. MLS Soccer has ratings that are actually below AAC ratings. Premier ratings are generally similar to slightly superior to AAC ratings. MLS has a 75 million deal (split between 3 networks) and Premier US rights are owned by NBC for 160 million. 75 million = 6.25 per team. The 160 million dollar Premier contract would indicate 13 million per AAC team. So anywhere in that range is not totally unreasonable---but given that the cord cutting has put some pressure on the networks---and given our current valuation is just 2 million per team---Ive leaned toward the lower end of that range.

Being honest I would be thrilled with $6 million each. We just don't have a national brand (at least yet) to drive ratings for everyone. $6 million would give us a huge separation with g4 which is what I want to see. Get us a few million more for the budgets, good exposure, and have whichever network promote the P6 narrative.
02-06-2018 09:09 AM
Attackcoog Offline

The new streaming ESPN Plus will cost $4.99 a month.

CNBC

Verified account

@CNBC
1h1 hour ago

Disney CEO Bob Iger says a new ESPN app will launch in the spring and "ESPN Plus" streaming service will cost $4.99.

(short video clip below)
Bob Iger discussing new ESPN Plus App
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 05:52 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-06-2018 05:47 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/169818...lease-date

"Unfortunately, ESPN Plus will not contain access to SportsCenter or to live ESPN channels, as Iger says Disney will not make ESPN Plus available unless you’re a “traditional or non-traditional” subscriber of standard ESPN."
02-06-2018 08:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(02-06-2018 08:19 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/169818...lease-date

"Unfortunately, ESPN Plus will not contain access to SportsCenter or to live ESPN channels, as Iger says Disney will not make ESPN Plus available unless you’re a “traditional or non-traditional” subscriber of standard ESPN."

So exactly what are you paying for? Political shows?
02-06-2018 10:10 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(02-06-2018 08:19 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/169818...lease-date

You have to scratch you head for that comment. Why not make Sports Center and and live ESPN available on ESPN PLus if you have to have a linear subscription to get ESPN-Plus? I mean--to even be eligible for ESPN Plus, you have have to have a linear subscription anyway---which means you already have the right to use the Watch ESPN App. Why not make it simple for the people paying an extra $4.99 to buy the ESPN Plus App?

Sometimes its really clear that the people at the top dont bother to think like a consumer. Of course, this is the same bunch that thought pouring divisive political commentary into the one thing that brings people together was a good idea.
02-06-2018 10:26 PM
Pitt Co Pirates Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU / AAC
(02-06-2018 09:09 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Baseball

12 football games
42 basketball games

Being honest I would be thrilled with $6 million each. We just don't have a national brand (at least yet) to drive ratings for everyone. $6 million would give us a huge separation with g4 which is what I want to see. Get us a few million more for the budgets, good exposure, and have whichever network promote the P6 narrative.

To the contrary this is a content issue to providers. We are a extremely good price point to ratings and their are numerous time slots to be filled.We are a bargain in today's market and the next best thing per say from the higher revenue conference. $8MM is the floor and I'm pretty sure our cards are being played right behind the scenes. ESPN will have the first right of refusal, but they know what a good investment we've been taking advantage of our uncertainty at the time. That's not in play this time so it's time for a fair deal or it will be time to go to market.
02-06-2018 10:27 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(02-06-2018 10:27 PM)Pitt Co Pirates Wrote:  
(02-06-2018 09:09 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 12:16 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Baseball

12 football games
42 basketball games

To the contrary this is a content issue to providers. We are a extremely good price point to ratings and their are numerous time slots to be filled.We are a bargain in today's market and the next best thing per say from the higher revenue conference. $8MM is the floor and I'm pretty sure our cards are being played right behind the scenes. ESPN will have the first right of refusal, but they know what a good investment we've been taking advantage of our uncertainty at the time. That's not in play this time so it's time for a fair deal or it will be time to go to market.

ESPN doesn't have the first rights anymore. They can sign us early but it's wide open for offers on where we go.
02-07-2018 12:35 AM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(02-06-2018 10:10 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

So exactly what are you paying for? Political shows?

Iger is brilliant and all, but this is the most asinine move from a company standpoint. Nobody is gonna pay that unless you have live sports, he is overvaluing the content of non live sports shows. ESPN is the hallmark channel without live sports. Back in the day, myself included, I would watch sportcenter in the morning to catch all the replays, not anymore with the internet....... and I certainly don't watch any of their other shows. I catch golic and wingo on Sirius xm on my morning commute.
02-07-2018 09:15 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think the basic Idea here is right, what the exact mix should be, I don't know.
02-07-2018 09:26 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
This article is a few days old , so Im not sure if its been covered in any other threads . Its covers the challenges Memphis’ athletics faces financially. This could probably apply to most AAC schools . The nugget I found most interesting was Memphis’ payout from the AAC was $4.4 million which I assume applies to the 10 AAC all sport schools .

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...335386002/

Memphis received more than $2.7 million from the NCAA in 2017, up from about $1.25 million the year before. The AAC also contributed nearly $4.4 million to Memphis. That was up from about $3.19 million the year before.

Sabin attributed the increase in conference money to the AAC's first-place finish in the College Football Playoff Group of Five Performance Pool and a one-time distribution based on the league's addition of Wichita State

But it's a far cry from the $32.1 million in revenue the University of Tennessee took in from the Southeastern Conference's lucrative media rights deal.
02-26-2018 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.