Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest G5 Realignment article
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Latest G5 Realignment article
(02-24-2018 03:13 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I think the article writer fails to understand the difficulty in what he is suggesting, given the football bias of FBS. But in FCS you can and do see Football only conferences (e.g., Pioneer League, Missouri Valley Football Conference). It would require a rule change at FBS level, and the existing G5 would be against it, because all realignment would happen to them (no incentive to leave a power conference, as they are also major conferences for Basketball).

But the idea has merit, especially if you project ahead a few years as football's power wanes. The attendance for FBS peaked back in 2010, and were it not for the SEC rising for several years after the peak before beginning to slip, the drop would have been even more noticeable. We have seen G5 TV contracts shrivel in value as the P5 dominate ever more of the money. Recruits see than and the last three years we have seen the NFL draft tilt 70% to those 65 schools, 90% of rounds 1 and 2. If anything, it's tilting even more toward these schools. But the costs of keeping up with the Jones is rising far faster than revenues at G5 schools, including the American, which are essentially flat. There is no $1.5M per school built in increase in media revenue, no network revenue, etc, so it all has to come from borrowing and heavy subsidies. UConn is about to enter a period where they are going to have to cut athletic expenses several millions, and others are about to hit that wall as well. A really large school in a state with more applicants than spots, such as UCF or USF, could tack on $100 fee per student and raise $5M more and so can keep pace for another 5 to 7 years. But more constrained programs like Memphis, Cincy, Temple, and ECU, even Boise State, can't do that. Heck ECU fills the stands, but most of those pay next to nothing (Students, school in the middle of nowhere) and only generate $4M in gate for ALL athletics (by comparison Rutgers, the weakest supported B1G school gets nearly $15M in gate revenue with less than full stands).

The addition of Wichita State showed that even the American, for all the propaganda (aka "marketing") about football, realized they could generate more revenue from Basketball than from any additional football school. This is a reality for many conferences.

I could easily see UConn (to get in the Big East and turn around their Basketball fortunes), UMass (need a FB conference as they are A10), ODU (CUSA is not what they wanted, A10 looks appealing, but FB in the way) would jump at something like this. Liberty is another that would work for. ODU is not the only CUSA member upset with where they are. USM would want to move, although where they put their Basketball is anyone's guess. UAB flirted with the Missouri Valley for Basketball when Football was temporarily halted. So there is interest. Football only option might make a move by JMU attractive, as they are another potential A10 member along with ODU. I'm not sure the SBC is in much risk, but CUSA definitely would be.

I file this concept under the "revisit in the near future" (i.e., maybe 3-4 years form now) to see if the conditions have changed, especially if football's decline accelerates. (FWIW, I think football has another decade before the decline starts to have truly big significance).

The G5 have spent years trying to play the same game as the P5 mimicking P5's actions to maximize revenue but the trend has not been terribly effective.

The best TV contract for a non-P5 league belongs to the Big East and involves no football at all.

The AAC adding Wichita State suggests that AAC has caught on that there is value to be tapped in basketball.

Placing one spot higher in the CFP ranking of performance for conferences is worth about the same as a single game in the NCAA tournament with the difference being the CFP payout comes all at once, the NCAA payment is spread over six years. Smaller immediate dollars but better for budgeting.

If over six years you can average one extra game per year (one win, or one appearance with an opening loss) that annual payout is basically identical to football finishing one spot better.

Being better in hoops SHOULD drive more ticket sales and mean larger TV audiences.

MTSU has a very good RPI, they look like they solid at-large material but the best rating of any school in the west division of CUSA is 188 by UAB. Playing the western schools doesn't help their RPI.

A CUSA East with Georgia State and Georgia Southern would be a superior hoops league to CUSA as a complete league.
02-24-2018 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ShockerDR Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita, KState
This makes me wonder if the AAC will make another basketball-centric move to get to 14. VCU and Dayton have been mentioned before.
02-24-2018 11:52 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(02-24-2018 11:52 PM)ShockerDR Wrote:  This makes me wonder if the AAC will make another basketball-centric move to get to 14. VCU and Dayton have been mentioned before.

As a member of both a UMass and West Point family of course I'm biased, but I'd like to see Army (football-only), Dayton or VCU (basketball and olympics), and UMass (all sports) to join. That would solidify AAC's hold in the Northeast and The American would have (or have the possibility to develop) some great inter-conference rivalries: Army-Navy, War on I-4, U Game (or Temple, either would be good), and either Houston-Memphis (I understand this is always a close and emotional game) or Houston-SMU (geographic, but not a lot of history yet) come to mind.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 02:58 AM by McKinney.)
02-25-2018 12:35 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-25-2018 12:35 AM)McKinney Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 11:52 PM)ShockerDR Wrote:  This makes me wonder if the AAC will make another basketball-centric move to get to 14. VCU and Dayton have been mentioned before.

As a member of both a UMass and West Point family of course I'm biased, but I'd like to see Army (football-only), Dayton or VCU (basketball and olympics), and UMass (all sports) to join. That would solidify AAC's hold in the Northeast and The American would have (or have the possibility to develop) some great inter-conference rivalries: Army-Navy, War on I-4, U Game (or Temple, either would be good), and either Houston-Memphis (I understand this is always a close and emotional game) or Houston-SMU (geographic, but not a lot of history yet) come to mind.

Houston-SMU-don’t have a lot of history yet. ? They were in the SWC together, CUSA and now the AAC.
02-25-2018 09:37 AM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(02-25-2018 09:37 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Houston-SMU-don’t have a lot of history yet. ? They were in the SWC together, CUSA and now the AAC.

I suppose (according to wikipedia) it is the 3rd oldest rivalry in the AAC, but it's also tied for the 12th youngest rivalry in the country by duration (since 1975) and tied for 30th youngest by number of meetings (33). I'd call that new blood, but I suppose it is quite subjective.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 11:49 AM by McKinney.)
02-25-2018 11:41 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(02-24-2018 12:04 AM)ChooChoo Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 07:30 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-23-2018 04:48 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  To be technical.

The NCAA has no prohibition on football only leagues in FBS. What it does have is a rule that provides if you want your FBS conference to have an FBS seat at the table in voting it must be an all sports league.

The writer almost has a decent idea but doesn't understand how to work within the system.

All you need is 8 FBS schools to be part of your all sports conference, you can have as many more football members as you desire.

So you can have 12 members for football with four of them being in other leagues.

But the main attraction for most schools would be to play in better basketball league. So, only 4 schools would get that benefit and the other 8 would likely end up in a worse league than they are now. Its not really an atractive option for the 8 all sports schools that make the FBS football league possible. What might be better is to create a relatively tight east coast FBS all-sports conference that takes the better eastern basketball schools from CUSA and creates an 8 team league thats good enough to attract a couple of A-10 schools to join as basketball onlys.

UMass
ODU
Western Kentucky
MTSU
Charlotte
Marshall
Georgia Southern
Appy St

May that limited travel and solid basketball is enough to lure a few nearby quality basketball schools in A10 to join. Maybe VCU and one other. The football wouldnt be bad and would offer low cost travel and some decent potential rivalries.

My take on splitting the AAC, C-USA, & SBC into 4 regional conferences, complete with re-branding and strengthened basketball pedigrees:

Eastern Athletic Conference (defacto A10)
NORTH
UMass
UConn
Army*
Temple
Buffalo
---------
Vermont*
Rhode Island*

SOUTH
Navy*
Old Dominion
East Carolina
Charlotte
Florida Atlantic
----------
George Mason*
VCU*
----------------------------------

American Athletic Conference
WEST
SMU
Houston
Tulane
Southern Miss
Memphis
---------
Wichita State*

EAST
Cincinnati
UAB
Georgia State
UCF
USF
---------
Dayton*
--------------------------------

Southwestern Conference
WEST
New Mexico State
UTEP
UTSA
Texas State
North Texas
---------------
UTA*

EAST
Tulsa
Arkansas State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana
Rice
---------------
Little Rock*
--------------------------------

C-USA
NORTH
JMU
Marshall
WKU
MTSU
Appalachian State
-----------------
FGCU*

SOUTH
Coastal Carolina
Georgia Southern
Troy
South Alabama
FIU
-------------------
College of Charleston*
------------------------------------

MAC
EAST
Kent State
Akron
Ohio
Miami,OH
Bowling
Toledo

WEST
EMU
CMU
WMU
Illinois State #
Ball State
NIU

I dont see the AAC going that route unless their next TV contract is a total bust. The AAC football league and basketball leagues---though they lack many true rivalries--offer a high enough level of play that they are worth sticking with as long as the TV deal provides great coverage and enough dough to pay for the travel. If the AAC lands 3-4 million a team, it will be a disappointment, but it would also likely be enough to hold the league together.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 11:27 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-25-2018 11:23 PM
Attackcoog Online

(02-25-2018 09:37 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Houston-SMU-don’t have a lot of history yet. ? They were in the SWC together, CUSA and now the AAC.

For those of us here on the ground, I think I know why this isnt what it could be as a rivalry. Its not that there isnt history. I think the issue is that for most fans under 50, they only know SMU as a team that has been mostly bad and not very competitive until very recently. That said, if they can keep the SMU uptrend going, we might get something brewing that eventually feels like a decent rivalry. Herman might have stirred things up a bit when he taped those SMU jerseys on the floors of the practice facilities. That seemed to finally get a little bad blood flowing. There have been some snide remarks by SMU coaches directed at UH on twitter since then. That's kinda how these "rivalry" things get rolling.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 11:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-25-2018 11:33 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse

Dayton would move in a heartbeat.

I question if VCU would be as eager to move to the AAC when they have Richmond, George Mason and George Washington in that conference, key D1 schools to align with.
02-25-2018 11:35 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

This year has proved with the AAC only a 3 bid league that it still doesn't have the depth to it even with Wichita State.

SLU and Dayton I feel could add depth to the AAC in basketball. They wouldn't be in the tourney right away but they are the type of programs that would add to the chemistry of the basketball conference.

The AAC from what I understand wants to keep its football membership low to maximize the CFP money split. Army/Umass for that reason don't make sense at all as additions.
02-25-2018 11:45 PM
Attackcoog Online

(02-25-2018 11:45 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

This year has proved with the AAC only a 3 bid league that it still doesn't have the depth to it even with Wichita State.

SLU and Dayton I feel could add depth to the AAC in basketball. They wouldn't be in the tourney right away but they are the type of programs that would add to the chemistry of the basketball conference.

The AAC from what I understand wants to keep its football membership low to maximize the CFP money split. Army/Umass for that reason don't make sense at all as additions.

Ehhh. Three bids with SMU injury plagued--and perennial powers UConn and Memphis on the skids. The AAC isnt as deep as the Big East, but I think the league is a consistent 3-6 bid league from here on. That aint bad.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2018 11:58 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-25-2018 11:57 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-25-2018 11:57 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Ehhh. Three bids with SMU injury plagued--and perennial powers UConn and Memphis on the skids. The AAC isnt as deep as the Big East, but I think the league is a consistent 3-6 bid league from here on. That aint bad.

I think if the AAC could have a nice year sometime soon and pull out 5 bids it would go a long way to help recruiting in the lower half of the conference.

We haven't seen that force multiplier affect yet to AAC basketball.
02-26-2018 12:06 AM
Attackcoog Online

(02-26-2018 12:06 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 11:57 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I think if the AAC could have a nice year sometime soon and pull out 5 bids it would go a long way to help recruiting in the lower half of the conference.

We haven't seen that force multiplier affect yet to AAC basketball.

Actually---we have. The AAC has 3 really good teams this year and several solid teams. Unless something odd happens, all 3 really good teams are getting in. Thats basically all you can ask as conference--that your deserving teams get in. I dont think we have a really have a bubble team this year. When UConn, Memphis, Temple, and SMU are also rolling---I think you'll see the conference thats 7-8 teams deep start to have some of the same dynamics at work in the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 01:42 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-26-2018 01:41 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(02-23-2018 02:21 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...8d137.html

I would go along with ODU being in the A-10 and a regional FBS football conference. Although the A-10 has some bottom feeders for basketball too. Dump Fordham, La Salle, St bonny and Duquense and add Old Dominion, WKU, MTSU and Charlotte (I know they are down, but will be back). This would be a hell of a basketball conference! And everyone has a rival (except St. Louis)

Basketball (new A-10)
Old Dominion
VCU
Richmond
Rhode Island
Western Kentucky
MTSU
UMass
Davidson
Charlotte
St. Joes
St. Louis
George Mason
Dayton
George Washington

If we were going to join a basketball only league, it would make more sense to join the MVC.
02-26-2018 11:31 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I think Harry Minimum has reached the correct understanding. Whether he reached that conclusion on his own or after talking to ODU AD Wood Selig I will leave to the realm of speculation.

As George Bluth said, "There's always money in the banana stand". The banana stand for G5's is basketball.

You are guaranteed one unit per year from the NCAA, which means you always have at least six units. A unit was $266,000 last year. An at-large bid or a win in the tournament is worth that times six years. Almost $1.6 million over six years.

No you cannot guarantee yourself an at-large bid, the selection committee does what the committee does and that means sometimes a good RPI leaves you out.

But if you are fielding a good champion, you improve your chances that your auto bid holder will win a game and earn an additional unit for the next six years.

Play better hoops you can drive attendance up and increase TV value. Until a G5 picks up a check for TV that is larger than the Big East's the evidence is that quality hoops has TV value.
02-26-2018 12:00 PM
Attackcoog Online

(02-26-2018 12:00 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I think Harry Minimum has reached the correct understanding. Whether he reached that conclusion on his own or after talking to ODU AD Wood Selig I will leave to the realm of speculation.

As George Bluth said, "There's always money in the banana stand". The banana stand for G5's is basketball.

You are guaranteed one unit per year from the NCAA, which means you always have at least six units. A unit was $266,000 last year. An at-large bid or a win in the tournament is worth that times six years. Almost $1.6 million over six years.

No you cannot guarantee yourself an at-large bid, the selection committee does what the committee does and that means sometimes a good RPI leaves you out.

But if you are fielding a good champion, you improve your chances that your auto bid holder will win a game and earn an additional unit for the next six years.

Play better hoops you can drive attendance up and increase TV value quality hoops has TV value.. Until a G5 picks up a check for TV that is larger than the Big East's the evidence is that

I see two things happening at the G5 level that make sense in terms of reorganization if G5 TV money is really gone.

1) Cut travel costs. The whole reason for large footprint leagues was TV money. Big footprints equaled large swaths of population which was to be converted into TV riches. If there isnt any TV money, then the old ancient pre-tv model of nearby low cost travel looks like it becomes the guiding force in building a league. It cuts costs, engages more rivalries because of familiarity, and it allows for easier fan road travel (hopefully resulting in higher ticket sales).

2) The best non-power basketball programs need to coalesce. The best non-power basketball programs can improve their schedule and RPI (and their ability to make the tournament) by grouping together. This has economic value as you indicated before by building teams that can win in the tournament (more credits) or by addint at large bids (even more credits). It may even have some TV value (see Big East). So, it may be worth expanding the footprint somewhat--so that one "picks and chooses" a conference that has a very strong basketball core---strong enough to attract a few key basketball only members to supercharge the league.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 12:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-26-2018 12:20 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-26-2018 12:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-26-2018 12:00 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I think Harry Minimum has reached the correct understanding. Whether he reached that conclusion on his own or after talking to ODU AD Wood Selig I will leave to the realm of speculation.

Play better hoops you can drive attendance up and increase TV value quality hoops has TV value.. Until a G5 picks up a check for TV that is larger than the Big East's the evidence is that

I see two things happening at the G5 level that make sense in terms of reorganization if G5 TV money is really gone.

1) Cut travel costs. The whole reason for large footprint leagues was TV money. Big footprints equaled large swaths of population which was to be converted into TV riches. If there isnt any TV money, then the old ancient pre-tv model of nearby low cost travel looks like it becomes the guiding force in building a league. It cuts costs, engages more rivalries because of familiarity, and it allows for easier fan road travel (hopefully resulting in higher ticket sales).

2) The best non-power basketball programs need to coalesce. The best non-power basketball programs can improve their schedule and RPI (and their ability to make the tournament) by grouping together. This has economic value as you indicated before by building teams that can win in the tournament (more credits) or by addint at large bids (even more credits). It may even have some TV value (see Big East). So, it may be worth expanding the footprint somewhat--so that one "picks and chooses" a conference that has a very strong basketball core---strong enough to attract a few key basketball only members to supercharge the league.

The current reward structures in both football and basketball combine to create lousy conference alignment options for anybody not in a power conference.

There is a fixed amount of money from the CFP revenues that is allocated to G5 conferences. Most of it goes to conference members rather than independents, so almost no one is willingly independent. Since the amount per conference is fixed, adding members beyond 10 just means everybody gets a smaller slice of the pie. And since the total pie is fixed in size, more, but smaller, conferences that make geographic sense hurts everybody.

In hoops, an 8 team one-bid conference earns twice as much per school as a 16 team one-bid conference. But even if it makes sense to have two 8 team conferences for every reason other than NCAAT payout, you can't split without half your members losing the one bid they can now compete for.

It is true for college sports as in life, that the love of money is the root of all evil. If it weren't for the perpetual money chase, college sports could be much more rational. But that chase will never end, so all we are left to do is gripe and shout "get off my lawn".
02-26-2018 01:29 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
I've had it with conferences that have non-football schools and would like to see the Sunbelt boot UTA & UALR. From 2000 until 2013 (when App left the SoCon) the non-football schools combined to win 9 champioships.
02-26-2018 03:12 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(02-26-2018 03:12 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I've had it with conferences that have non-football schools and would like to see the Sunbelt boot UTA & UALR. From 2000 until 2013 (when App left the SoCon) the non-football schools combined to win 9 champioships.

UTA didn't play in the Sun Belt until 2013-14.
UALR was the only non-football 2012-13
Denver left after 2011-12
New Orleans left after 2009-10
02-26-2018 03:26 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(02-26-2018 03:12 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I've had it with conferences that have non-football schools and would like to see the Sunbelt boot UTA & UALR. From 2000 until 2013 (when App left the SoCon) the non-football schools combined to win 9 champioships.
Sounds like the football schools need to up their game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
02-26-2018 03:49 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(02-25-2018 11:35 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Dayton would move in a heartbeat.

I question if VCU would be as eager to move to the AAC when they have Richmond, George Mason and George Washington in that conference, key D1 schools to align with.

Guy on local radio in Richmond said VCU wasn't interested when rumors were spreading around last year.
02-26-2018 04:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.