Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Rivalries?
Bookmark and Share
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
RE: Football Rivalries?
(02-25-2018 09:36 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  To be honest, FAU has developed no rivalries other than versus the FIU. And that rivalry had nothing to do with the C-USA. it just migrated from SunBelt to C-USA just as both schools did.

I would tend to disagree, I think we have a rivalry with MTSU in football. Now they have simply OWNED our arses until last year, but MTSU was the school we beat to become the fastest FCS transition school to beat a FBS school. Says so right on that rock next to Howards statue.

Also while MTSU has owned the series for certain, it seems like the games are ALWAYS close. There have been several heartbreaking last second wins and loses on both sides.

While not a rivalry, I really have take a dislike to WKU because of the thrashing they gave us in our brand new stadium in 2011. That was hard to watch. We'd waited so long for our new home and then to get completely destroyed has left a sour taste in my mouth for them ever since.

However the Amber Kitties to south are by far the strongest rivalry.
03-01-2018 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(03-01-2018 03:17 PM)randomprecision Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 09:52 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I kind of see it like this...

Rivals

SMU- Lots of hate, Compete for the same athletes in the same region, Very different types of schools, have been playing each other since 1922 (95 years).

Developing Rivalries

UTSA- Also lots of hate, Compete for the same talent around the state, North Texas id the oldest university in the western division and UTSA is the youngest, Heartbreaking loses on both sides despite the series only being 5 years old.

Rice- The two largest cities in Texas, Very different universities (Public vs private and Largest vs. smallest in the division), Both teams have won a few, but North Texas has snagged two of their wins in dramatic fashion at the end of the game ("The Stand"-2013 & "The Stop"-2016). I'd think that irritates Rice fans just a little.

LA Tech- It is a state pride thing, and we compete for recruits in East Texas and Louisiana. I think North Texas fans have quietly resented LA Tech's ability to "do more with less", while UNT has enjoyed advantages, like size, money, and location, but have still historically struggled to be competitive for the better part of the 21st century. Thank goodness things appear to be changing.

Could and probably should be a Developing Rivalry

Southern Miss-North Texas began playing Southern Miss in 1956, which makes it the second oldest series within the division for both programs. The series is currently tied at 6-6. Despite it being a competitive series over the last 5 season, it just hasn't become a prominent match up within the western division.

“two largest cities in Texas”...you might want to check with the UTSA folks on that one

I should have stated that differently. I meant two largest media markets. Dallas/Fort Worth and Greater Houston Area have larger metro populations then San Antonio.
03-01-2018 08:41 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(03-01-2018 08:41 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(03-01-2018 03:17 PM)randomprecision Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 09:52 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I kind of see it like this...

Rivals

SMU- Lots of hate, Compete for the same athletes in the same region, Very different types of schools, have been playing each other since 1922 (95 years).

Developing Rivalries

UTSA- Also lots of hate, Compete for the same talent around the state, North Texas id the oldest university in the western division and UTSA is the youngest, Heartbreaking loses on both sides despite the series only being 5 years old.

Rice- The two largest cities in Texas, Very different universities (Public vs private and Largest vs. smallest in the division), Both teams have won a few, but North Texas has snagged two of their wins in dramatic fashion at the end of the game ("The Stand"-2013 & "The Stop"-2016). I'd think that irritates Rice fans just a little.

LA Tech- It is a state pride thing, and we compete for recruits in East Texas and Louisiana. I think North Texas fans have quietly resented LA Tech's ability to "do more with less", while UNT has enjoyed advantages, like size, money, and location, but have still historically struggled to be competitive for the better part of the 21st century. Thank goodness things appear to be changing.

Could and probably should be a Developing Rivalry

Southern Miss-North Texas began playing Southern Miss in 1956, which makes it the second oldest series within the division for both programs. The series is currently tied at 6-6. Despite it being a competitive series over the last 5 season, it just hasn't become a prominent match up within the western division.

“two largest cities in Texas”...you might want to check with the UTSA folks on that one

I should have stated that differently. I meant two largest media markets. Dallas/Fort Worth and Greater Houston Area have larger metro populations then San Antonio.
I knew Denton had grown a lot but I did not think it had hit a million yet.
03-01-2018 10:50 PM
forerunner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
(03-01-2018 03:50 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  I would tend to disagree, I think we have a rivalry with MTSU in football. Now they have simply OWNED our arses until last year, but MTSU was the school we beat to become the fastest FCS transition school to beat a FBS school. Says so right on that rock next to Howards statue.

A record since demolished by UTSA, by the way, when we won @ South Alabama, @ New Mexico State, @ Idaho, and vs. Texas State in our second year. We were 8-4 overall that season.
03-03-2018 04:08 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(03-01-2018 03:50 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 09:36 PM)goliath74 Wrote:  To be honest, FAU has developed no rivalries other than versus the FIU. And that rivalry had nothing to do with the C-USA. it just migrated from SunBelt to C-USA just as both schools did.

I would tend to disagree, I think we have a rivalry with MTSU in football. Now they have simply OWNED our arses until last year, but MTSU was the school we beat to become the fastest FCS transition school to beat a FBS school. Says so right on that rock next to Howards statue.

Also while MTSU has owned the series for certain, it seems like the games are ALWAYS close. There have been several heartbreaking last second wins and loses on both sides.

While not a rivalry, I really have take a dislike to WKU because of the thrashing they gave us in our brand new stadium in 2011. That was hard to watch. We'd waited so long for our new home and then to get completely destroyed has left a sour taste in my mouth for them ever since.

However the Amber Kitties to south are by far the strongest rivalry.

I disagree. I think the games against MTSU are not more heated than those against WKU or Marshall. Yes, they have been close, but that was the kind of a team FAU had been. We had always had some talent and were a tough out. We just could never close tight games.
03-04-2018 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PSCNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(02-25-2018 03:17 PM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  Idk who our rivalry is. We still have yet to beat middle or wku so not really a rivalry and even though we have beaten other teams and they've beaten us, they're just not the same. Charlotte is closest in proximity but we haven't lost either so idk

Sent from my SM-N950U using CSNbbs mobile app

You're right odu hasn't lost to Charlotte yet, but 2 of the 3 games have gone down to the wire.
03-04-2018 09:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.