Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Tournament
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
ACC Tournament
By the way, I've never seen a seating chart for this year's ACC Tournament. I'm not going anyway but this seems surprising. I can't remember a year when they didn't release a seating chart.

I wonder if this is connected to the reduced ticket demand in Brooklyn. You can knock Greensboro all you like but there has always been a strong ticket demand when the tournament has been held in Greensboro.

I'll make a prediction now. The ACC Tournament won't go back to Brooklyn. They'll only go back if they can get MSG.

The issue of future tournament sites is very much up in the air. There's been no announced location that I know of beyond Charlotte in 2019 and Greensboro in 2020. I'll predict Atlanta in 2021 and D.C. in 2022 and then back to Greensboro or maybe even Raleigh. I think that holding the tournament in Charlotte next year will remind folks that the arena there is poorly designed for the ACC Tournament. We'll see.
02-27-2018 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
RE: ACC Tournament
Charlotte is suitable for the NBA All Star game but not the ACCT? IMO Charlotte stays within the rotation because of the large & growing number of hotels,restaurants & hotels in clise proximity to the arena not to mention airport & rail transit access
02-27-2018 12:29 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(02-27-2018 12:29 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Charlotte is suitable for the NBA All Star game but not the ACCT? IMO Charlotte stays within the rotation because of the large & growing number of hotels,restaurants & hotels in clise proximity to the arena not to mention airport & rail transit access

Have you sat upstairs in that arena?
02-27-2018 01:06 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

Yes on numerous occasions
02-27-2018 01:17 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
IIRC, the media didn't like Atlanta. They said it felt like just another event. Like a car show or a Harry Potter convention.
02-27-2018 02:03 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(02-27-2018 02:03 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  IIRC, the media didn't like Atlanta. They said it felt like just another event. Like a car show or a Harry Potter convention.

Exactly. It's the same way in D.C. or Brooklyn. In Greensboro, the ACC Tournament is unquestionably, THE event, not just for that week but for the entire year.
02-27-2018 02:17 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-27-2018 02:17 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 02:03 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  IIRC, the media didn't like Atlanta. They said it felt like just another event. Like a car show or a Harry Potter convention.

Exactly. It's the same way in D.C. or Brooklyn. In Greensboro, the ACC Tournament is unquestionably, THE event, not just for that week but for the entire year.

That's great for Greensboro, and for fans of the original ACC teams. I'm sure it doesn't mean nearly as much for half the current conference. And sadly, the number of eyeballs watching on TV is probably more important today, and that doesn't much matter where the games are actually played.
02-27-2018 03:36 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-27-2018 12:29 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Charlotte is suitable for the NBA All Star game but not the ACCT? IMO Charlotte stays within the rotation because of the large & growing number of hotels,restaurants & hotels in clise proximity to the arena not to mention airport & rail transit access

The heck with Charlotte, the tournament belongs in Greensboro!
02-27-2018 03:39 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

(02-27-2018 03:39 PM)XLance Wrote:  

No doubt the folks in Greensboro do a great job with the tournament& Greensboro has a ton of history with the ACC. But you have to drive everywhere in town & their are very few places within walking distance of the arena. Charlotte offers a good compromise to fans of schools that are accustomed to having entertainment close to their hotels,arena etc
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2018 04:13 PM by mj4life.)
02-27-2018 04:10 PM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(02-27-2018 04:10 PM)mj4life Wrote:  

No doubt the folks in Greensboro do a great job with the tournament& Greensboro has a ton of history with the ACC. But you have to drive everywhere in town & their are very few places within walking distance of the arena. Charlotte offers a good compromise to fans of schools that are accustomed to having entertainment close to their hotels,arena etc

I think they should alternate between Charlotte and Brooklyn going forward, but Swofford hasn't asked my opinion yet.07-coffee3
02-27-2018 04:18 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(02-27-2018 04:18 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

I think they should alternate between Charlotte and Brooklyn going forward, but Swofford hasn't asked my opinion yet.07-coffee3

03-puke
02-27-2018 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-27-2018 04:18 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  I think they should alternate between Charlotte and Brooklyn going forward

Add in DC and that should be the rotation.

Greensboro's only attraction is the fact it's practically a home game for the NC4, if the city were 50 miles west they'd hate it too since it's just a bigger version of Columbia, SC without the world class zoo and Live PD.
02-27-2018 05:42 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-27-2018 02:17 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

If you held it in Roanoke, VA it would be the big event there also... That doesn't make it the best place.

Rather than pick a small town the ACC can dominate right away, why not grow the ACC tournament intro a nationwide event?

The argument for Greensboro always seems to come down to being close to 4 schools and nothing else to do but ACC basketball.
02-28-2018 01:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

(02-27-2018 05:42 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 04:18 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  I think they should alternate between Charlotte and Brooklyn going forward

Greensboro's only attraction is the fact it's practically a home game for the NC4, if the city were 50 miles west they'd hate it too since it's just a bigger version of Columbia, SC without the world class zoo and Live PD.

Concur. The reason I like those 3 sites is that they are all metropolitan type of sites with large airports. There is great history in Greensboro, but Charlotte, Brooklyn, and DC make more sense with the addition of the newer teams.
02-28-2018 08:54 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(02-28-2018 08:54 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

Concur. The reason I like those 3 sites is that they are all metropolitan type of sites with large airports. There is great history in Greensboro, but Charlotte, Brooklyn, and DC make more sense with the addition of the newer teams.

Be honest, you also like it because it's much closer to Clemson, SC. Proximity is why I like Greensboro or Raleigh.
02-28-2018 09:00 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

(02-28-2018 09:00 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Be honest, you also like it because it's much closer to Clemson, SC. Proximity is why I like Greensboro or Raleigh.

I'm actually in Huntsville, AL so Greensboro and Charlotte are a wash from a travel perspective. Atlanta would be the closest to me, but I like the other three better.
02-28-2018 09:03 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

I prefer Charlotte because I've been to Greensboro & Raleigh. There's absolutely no comparison.
02-28-2018 11:06 AM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU

There's this new thing the cool kids use all the time. It's called uber. 07-coffee3

Seriously, I never worried about my daughter drinking and driving in college, and don't now as she is a young adult. It is a given that if they are going out that that is what they do. I'm confident that uber drivers from the surrounding area would converge on Greensboro during the ACCT.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2018 05:55 PM by dawgitall.)
03-01-2018 05:54 PM
dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
(02-28-2018 11:06 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  

I prefer Charlotte because I've been to Greensboro & Raleigh. There's absolutely no comparison.
Raleigh (things to do, restaurants, atmosphere etc.) beats Charlotte and Greensboro hands down, but you can't have it in the same city as one of the schools.
03-01-2018 06:01 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(03-01-2018 06:01 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  
(02-28-2018 11:06 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 05:42 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Add in DC and that should be the rotation.

Raleigh (things to do, restaurants, atmosphere etc.) beats Charlotte and Greensboro hands down, but you can't have it in the same city as one of the schools.

If college sports attendance continues to decline, there may be little choice but to hold the tournament in Greensboro or Raleigh.
03-01-2018 07:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.