Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

He wanted.............
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: He wanted.............
uhmump95 Wrote:
TomorrowHerd Wrote:Has obama ever been responsible for anything in his life other than his family and his ego?
Let's leave family out of this. Because your VP obviously has not been fulfilling her responsibilities with her own family. I am trying to have a real debate and you are taking cheap shots.

TomorrowHerd Wrote:I will take a few years of mayors experience and governor experience over a guy who voted "present" 200 times or so.
Both would be satisfactory if they were over a significant populace. Being the mayor of a small town and a 2 year governor of a small state still seem kind of weak.

About Obama voting "present", is that the most by a senator during his term in Congress?

I think he was leaving the family out of it. The question was about everything else. I think it's a valid question on that basis.

My take on the experience issue is that Palin is light on experience to be VP and Barack is light on experience to be president. Obviously, we're going to put someone light on experience into one slot or the other. Would you rather it be the top or bottom of the ticket? And I can see arguments both ways on that. It's silly for republicans to pretend that Palin has all the requisite experience and Barack does not, just as it's silly for democrats to pretend that Barack has all the requisite experience and Palin does not. There's going to be some serious OJT for either one, and both sides would be better off to just admit it and move on. Who really thinks that we're going to change the way business is done in Washington (and it needs changing) without bringing in people who are short of Washingon experience?

In the end, I think the character of the individual is a lot more important than experience. I do think experience as a governor, even of a small state, is more relevant than experience as a senator or congressman. I would have said that if you asked me a month ago, or six months ago, or six years ago. The American people seem to feel that way as a whole, since we've put a lot more governors than senators into the white house in recent memory. I would feel the same way on that issue if governor Richardson (from a relatively small state) were the democrat VP candidate and senator Hutchinson (from the second-largest) were the republican VP candidate. Richardson may be a bad example, as he clearly has a lot of other relevant experience, but he was the only one I could think of on short notice, and I'd feel the same way even if he didn't have the Clinton administration experience.

I actually think the "present" votes were in Illinois. I don't think that same procedure is available in the Senate, or if it is I don't think it has the same implications. I believe I've read that it indeed is the most, by a wide margin, during his time in the Illinois legislature.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2008 10:27 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-03-2008 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
He wanted............. - cb4029 - 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
RE: He wanted............. - uhmump95 - 09-02-2008, 03:09 PM
RE: He wanted............. - GrayBeard - 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
RE: He wanted............. - Rebel - 09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
RE: He wanted............. - uhmump95 - 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
RE: He wanted............. - cb4029 - 09-02-2008, 07:32 PM
RE: He wanted............. - EastStang - 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
RE: He wanted............. - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM
RE: He wanted............. - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM
RE: He wanted............. - TomorrowHerd - 09-02-2008, 10:10 PM
RE: He wanted............. - uhmump95 - 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
RE: He wanted............. - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-03-2008 10:16 AM
RE: He wanted............. - uhmump95 - 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
RE: He wanted............. - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.