Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MEMPHIS BOO YA
Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team
I'm tired of people talking up Temple football as though it is some program that will help the Big East. Temple football has a 5 year sagarin rating of 100+, and is currently 5-4 in a poor MAC conference. They don't have any fans (18k fans against UConn last year), and they don't have any tv appeal (most of their games are on internet streaming.

Temple football would HURT the Big East's AQ BCS status.

I know memphis football is bad this year, but we have been to 5 bowls the past 10 yrs. Temple has been to ONE bowl the past 30 years, and there were 25k fans there (against powerhouse UCLA).

Temple basketball is okay, but Memphis basketball is better. Temple basketball averages 5,000 fans per game, and they have only 1 tournament win in the past decade. Memphis basketball averages almost 20k per game and we do make deep toruney runs. Memphis has several Final 4's in the past 30 yrs, Temple has none.

And just as important, Memphis OWNs our market. We dominate a fairly large city. Temple is a secondary team in a city that the Big East already owns (Villanova averages twice as many fans as Temple and is on television all the time while Temple has no espn games this year and only a few espn2 games).

I know that the Big East wants BYU and Army as their first choices. And if those two turn them down then it will be between ECU, Memphis and Temple. If the Big East is looking for football, then obviously ECU is the choice. But if the Big East is looking for best all around sports, including basketball, and market presence, it is clearly Memphis. And I really don't even know how Temple is in the picture at all besides them publicly lobbying for admission, they hurt football and don't add enough on the basketball side.

Anyway, I hope we get invited as the new Big East is shaping up to be a pretty cool conference.
11-03-2011 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team - memphisribs - 11-03-2011 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.