Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Warchant publisher says that FSU is still in contact with the Big Ten
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: The Warchant publisher says that FSU is still in contact with the Big Ten
(04-04-2013 01:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  FSU

I'm sure is keeping its options open...however, FSU going to the B1G makes no sense (see WVU to B12) unless there is a crisis.

Makes at least some sense. Saying it makes none is just ignorant.

(04-04-2013 03:01 PM)Ragu Wrote:  Who is giving you guys this info? Thought that was a premium article but maybe I am not corrrect on that.

Regardless, I am sure FSU would only move if the Big 10 went to 18 or 20 and brought in more Southern teams.

Would FSU move first, believing they'd be the catalyst to get a few other schools to jump Big Ten, too? If FSU is offered I don't see how they decline. I'm not saying it'd be unanimous but I think most fans would support it and if what "Dot" says is legit (which you never know) then even FSU higher ups think it would be the right move albeit an imperfect one.

And I can't imagine the Big Ten expanding to an odd number of schools. I think they'd wait to fully incorporate FSU into the fold until #16+ came on board.

And that post has been leaked all over FSU sites. Nobody respects Warchant. Rightfully so.

(04-04-2013 03:36 PM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 01:28 PM)AntiG Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 01:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  FSU

I'm sure is keeping its options open...however, FSU going to the B1G makes no sense (see WVU to B12) unless there is a crisis.

Actually it makes plenty of sense. SEC already has Florida covered and is looking to expand to other states that they don't already have a presence in yet (North Carolina, Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas) while the B1G wants to expand down the coast and eventually into Florida.

B1G makes more money than any other conference, especially after they renegotiate in a few years.

The SEC still makes more sense because 1) FSU would prefer the SEC, and 2) if it really came down to it, the SEC would offer FSU just to block the B1G from getting any sort of foothold in Florida.

1. Maybe. Probably. Honestly, it depends. If the end-game is conference of greater than 16 teams, which it appears is very possibly (didn't say likely) going to happen, then perhaps the Big Ten with a mid-atlantic/southeastern flank is better. But if there is an indication that leagues are stopping at 16 (which, how could you believe in this environment?) than the SEC would make much more sense.

2. I don't have the figures in front of me or anywhere else, but I'm sure the SEC does. I assume 1 of 3 things:
- Adding FSU would bring less money than adding one of VT/UVA/UNC/NCSU
- Adding FSU would bring more money than VT/UVA/UNC/NCSU but the SEC just doesn't want to have to deal with FSU*
- Adding FSU would bring in similar money as VT/UVA/UNC/NCSU but the SEC doesn't want to have to deal with FSU*

* Meaning FSU already has an elite all-around athletic program as well as football program and no other preferred NC/VA candidate combines both equals less competition for the SEC (but still good competition and good money for the conference)

(04-04-2013 06:52 PM)Lurker Above Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 06:35 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I absolutely think this makes sense and have said as much since last year.

This is what makes no sense to me:

Florida State probably is the most valuable potential realistic target available to the B1G. However, that was also true before they added Rutgers and Maryland.

I didn't at the time - nor do I still - understand why on Earth the B1G added Rutgers and Maryland when they very possibly could have added Florida State and say, Georgia Tech? RU and UMD would have been there for the B1G's taking at any time they wanted those schools. Conversely, FSU may not be.

I understand that Rutgers is in the NYC DMA and Maryland is in the DC DMA and that there are copious amounts of cable dollars available by grabbing those schools. However, it's not like Atlanta - the nation's 8th largest media market - is small potatoes. And college football is so much more popular in the South than it is in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, it's not even close. Also, adding FSU would have likely ensured the entire state of Florida for the BTN.

I do not blame Maryland or Rutgers one bit for accepting the B1G's offer. However, I do think the B1G's decision to add those schools will prove to be historically shortsighted in the long run. They could have had some BIG FISH and instead settled for much, much less.

If you are the B1G and you are going to 20 from 12 you pick up the New York and DC markets with two of the six additions.

No brainer really.

What you said.

And, maybe GT and FSU weren't as receptive to jump last year (along with the rest of the targeted ACC schools). Maybe the Big Ten wanted to poach one of the ACC's own, in part, to show some superiority, but also to lock up some valuable tv markets that the ACC was eyeing/believed it firmly held. Perhaps once the move was made and the predicted difference in conference-generated revenue would be enough to break some more ACC schools loose. Maryland is hardly a poor add for the Big Ten. I think they're a very good overall add. They were just at a vulnerable point and the Big Ten seized the opportunity to make a move that they may not have ever had the chance to make again (including possible future expansion into southern ACC territory.)

(04-04-2013 08:08 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Well why did they pass on Syracuse and Pitt then? Especially the Cuse... I am asking because it would seem like Rutgers don't get you the NY market. Maryland makes sense for DC.

Pitt? What market does Pitt bring the Big Ten? I could see Cuse making sense for the Big Ten to help lock up Upstate but I feel the Big Ten will do well in NYC even without them. Rutgers was more of an institutional fit anyways.

(04-04-2013 08:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If the Big 10 goes after Georgia Tech and Florida State the SEC will counter by going after Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

At first I thought you were dumb. Then I thought it was all sarcasm (the whole post, not just this excerpt). But now I have no clue.

(04-04-2013 08:45 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I also believe that FSU would lose any recruiting power they have now in Florida.

How? FSU doesn't play in the SEC as is. FSU will be playing northern schools like BC and Cuse every year while playing Pitt on the reg. FSU, in an 18- or 20-team Big Ten, would have many similar opponents on the schedule that are currently there (SOMEBODY out of UMD, UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, GT). We'd still face UF. FSU would still have another OOC game or 2 to schedule. (How is potentially knocking off a scrub OOC school to add an ACC school FSU already faces or a Big Ten school going to hurt?) FSU's schedule wouldn't change that much.

Don't see it hurting basketball much since FSU would lose Cuse, UL, and maybe UNC and/or Duke but would gain Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin and possibly UNC and/or Duke.

Don't see it hurting baseball too much if the Big Ten used divisions as FSU would potentially keep GT, UNC and UVA on the schedule, would obviously keep the UF games, and could easily add in the UM series and even someone like Clemson if they wanted (or any other available elite baseball program). Hell, FSU could even host an early season tournament featuring prominent OOC southern teams to help with RPI if the Big Ten was that much of a detriment.

(04-04-2013 08:51 PM)krux Wrote:  Still no link?

It's premium content on an FSU recruiting website. I read it myself on a different message board in which FSU fans congregate before seeing it here.
04-04-2013 09:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Warchant publisher says that FSU is still in contact with the Big Ten - Marge Schott - 04-04-2013 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.