Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should the B1G consider non-AAU schools?
Yes
No
Only if it is Notre Dame.
[Show Results]

Non-AAU Notre Dame was offered B1G; so why is OU or FSU unrealistic?
Bookmark and Share
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
RE: Non-AAU Notre Dame was offered B1G; so why is OU or FSU unrealistic?
(02-14-2016 01:52 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I'm over Notre Dame. If they want to join the Big Ten, then the conference will make room if they can but the Big Ten won't wait for them.

Florida State, I imagine, is not good enough on their own academically, not to mention their location of being on an island. They would certainly need one of Georgia Tech or Miami to be added along with themselves to tag along to satisfy the academics (assuming that Miami is regarded as good enough to cover for Florida State). I don't think the conference would want to have a "West Virginia" problem of having Florida State on an island, but would Miami and/or Georgia Tech leave the ACC without additional friends? I don't think so. North Carolina is likely the grand prize that the Big Ten would want from the ACC. I don't think there is a package of schools to bring North Carolina to the Big Ten that the Big Ten would approve, i.e. Wake Forest. UNC cares enough about Wake Forest that they agreed to play each other as a non-conference football opponents because they weren't playing enough since they are in opposite divisions.

I don't think Oklahoma is good enough on their own and would need the cover of another academic school to get Big Ten entrance. I'm not sure that Kansas is good enough cover for them, just as I am not sure Miami is good enough for Florida State. Likewise with UNC, I don't think there is a combination of schools that would be sexy enough for Texas to join the Big Ten that would be acceptable to the Big Ten. Texas plays what, like 9 games of their schedule in the state of Texas? At best, Texas would have four home conference games, the Red River Rivalry (which would replace the fifth home game in a 9 game conference schedule), and three non-conference games in-state.

TL;DR Version: Notre Dame will probably always have a spot saved for them or room will be made. Florida State would need to tag-along with a top notch academic or be in a group of academics to be invited while bringing a nearby partner. Oklahoma is probably not good enough on their own but require less help than FSU. Texas and UNC may be pipe dreams because the Big Ten can't offer them a package that checks off every box.

(04-11-2016 07:41 AM)SeaBlue Wrote:  In that case, can I have your tickets?

No. You are a Michigan fan. I don't like Michigan fans. :)

I'll just burn 'em.
04-11-2016 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Non-AAU Notre Dame was offered B1G; so why is OU or FSU unrealistic? - TerryD - 04-11-2016 10:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.