Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Could the SEC start its own lacrosse league??
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Could the SEC start its own lacrosse league??
(02-09-2018 08:21 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 10:02 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(02-09-2018 08:51 AM)NoDak Wrote:  An SEC hockey league is far fetched, but there are some SEC schools that may give it a go. Alabama may talk too much, but their club team officials say a rink for a varsity team is coming and upgraded their club team to the highest level. UGA is making noise about upgrading to a higher level of club. Tennesesee and Kentucky have rinks in their cities that host minor league teams. UAH is the only current southern DI hockey team.

I wouldn't say it's that far fetched. It won't happen next year or anything, but if the league can find about 6 willing participants then it could happen.

Bama may very well be moving in that direction. I know there have been discussions in the AD about benchmarks that need to be met. A lot of good work has already been done by the guys that run the club organization. They essentially approach recruiting like a D1 program as it stands. They can't offer scholarships, but UA's new enrollment strategies have made it a lot easier to attract kids from other regions of the country. That and they get decent crowds at their home games.

One thing to consider, if Bama adds hockey then you can bet that Auburn will at least take a long hard look at it.

An interesting wrinkle in this could be what happens with the next wave of realignment. Oklahoma is also in ACHA D1...if they join the SEC then that's potentially another member. Arkansas has also made that move so there's another prospect.

Knoxville still has a minor league team although I think the one in Lexington is defunct. Nonetheless, let's also remember that Vandy plays in what is now a pretty solid hockey market. It might be a smart investment for them.

All in all, hockey will never be as popular in the South as it is in other regions, but it's still one of the more profitable professional sports. College hockey has subsequently grown to where it's not unusual to see it on TV. That means there could be an opportunity to market our schools to people across the country. I'm not sure the folks at the SEC office are planning to capitalize on this, but if they're smart then they're at least considering it.
Would love to see it happen, but five or six schools adding it at the same time would amost be a miracle. Iowa State has not even added a varsity program and they have had a top club program for more than 20 years.

It would take some degree of coordination from the conference office to really put it together.

I wouldn't say it required a miracle, but it's certainly not a top priority at this time.
02-09-2018 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could the SEC start its own lacrosse league?? - AllTideUp - 02-09-2018 10:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.