Poll: What do you think?
It made me more moist than Ralph Friedgen's undies on a 120 degree day
No sir, I don't like it!
Yes I like it, and my name is Jim Donnan and I know kung fu
No I don't like it, and my name is Jim Donnan and I know kung fu
I just like b****ing about stuff
My name is kpigout, and I'm still in therapy about the color orange
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
New group icons ...what do you think?
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: New group icons ...what do you think?
SCConway Wrote:Uh, the reason it looked like a myspace page, as you like to say, is because we had NOWHERE to put our content stuff. We had no choice but to put it "in the way". We have not, nor have we ever, strived to be JUST a messageboard. From day 1, we were meant to be an actual website full of content and everything. We have NEVER had a working portal since we moved here 3 1/2 years ago like you kept telling us we would have. We ALMOST had it, but you couldn't get it to work properly with the invision software. When we moved to phpbb, you said it was integratable into a portal. Well that never happened either. Now we're on this stuff and I have not heard anything about having a portal. And right now it doesn't matter...I can't do anything to our portion of the site anyways since you haven't given me any rights to, which is in complete violation of our agreement upon us moving here.
phpBB became its own nightmare, as you are well aware of. The people who developed it just flat out stopped working on it. You can't develop a portal if you're spending all your time just trying to fend off spambots. MyBB looks by far the most promising yet. It ALREADY HAS built in portal capability!!! We can integrate it with NCAA Wiki too. And our outstanding relationship with those who develop MyBB is gravy. And you could have just as easily created a separate content area. You had the ability to do so. The look decisions were poor ones on your part.

SCConway Wrote:Do you remember what I told you before we moved in? I told you I will be the biggest thorn in your side you will ever have, and you were like "Oh, I can handle it" yadda yadda yadda. Obviously you can't. The problem isn't the "lunatic fringe ruling the roost" it is a control freak who wants everything his way or his way. I am not perfect and have NEVER claimed to be. I won't do the right thing all the time, I'm human. I have an obligation to the fans I represent however, because of you wanting all but total control over everything, I am failing in that obligation. Your defense is "it is good for the whole community". Again, what is good for the community as a whole, may not be good for individual schools in this community. No it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone, but it doesn't help to antagonize them either and piss them off just because the "community" has a different stance.

I'll give you that I underestimated things. In hindsight I should have talked to NinerNation. I didn't realize something as trivial as having the color orange in a group icon could be such a problem. Then there's there more .. uh... "out there" stuff like requests to have XFire integration. Apparently I vested too much trust in the average level of rationality.

SCConway Wrote:We're not asking to rebuild the Great Wall of China here. We're just asking for control of OUR section of this site. Your defense on that is, basically, "affect one thing, it affects the whole community". YOU wanted everyone to be on "ONE BOARD". You even ran a poll about it on the old software and it was OVERWHELMINGLY against the "ONE BOARD" thing like it is right now, yet you pursued it anyways. Everyone preferred the layout the way it was, in regards to the locations of the boards. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander (or whatever that saying is).
You already have, for the most part, control. There's only a small subset of things, at this time, that you can't be made custom just on the Memphis site. Off the top of my head that is the groups themselves, the group icons, avatars, signatures ..... uhhhh .... the post code system ( [ b ] and such ) ..... I think that's just about it. A small price to pay for radically cutting back time needed to maintain and upgrade the site ... fix several bugs that even you were complaining about non-stop .... and offer new features. It was a good trade off .... and the unanimous support of the dev team was enough for me. That poll put us at a tremendous disadvantage to begin with in that people are generally afraid of change, and that they had no demo to look at, and to truly vote wisely would have required reading the detailed explanation ... and let's face it ... reading anything longer than a few paragraphs ... especially if it's tech related ... is NOT the strong point of this community.

SCConway Wrote:GTS you are great at building this site at what it has become, but when it comes to people skills and professionalism, those are seriously lacking when it comes to dealing with folks with a difference of opinion. As an admin here, you should be well above calling folks names like that no matter the circumstance. As an admin, we are supposed to be held to higher standards than that.
Agreed on standards ... but that's a bit of a pot calling kettle ... at least in kpig's case. My professionalism is a result of lack of patience. Many years of this same crap wears it thin. Again... apparently I vested too much trust in the average person's rationality in some areas.
06-28-2007 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New group icons ...what do you think? - Rebel - 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
RE: New group icons ...what do you think? - Rebel - 06-28-2007, 01:14 PM
RE: New group icons ...what do you think? - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-28-2007 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.