Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA offseason baseball thread
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread
(12-23-2017 08:42 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(12-20-2017 12:00 AM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  2018 CB Newspaper poll released. Typically not the most accurate of the preseason polls, but it gives us something to talk about.

http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseb...-12-19-17/

Southern Miss #25 (they have overrated us a little IMO)
Rice RV
FAU RV
Old Dominion RV
Charlotte RV

CB is a joke of a poll, and always has been. They put way too much weight on previous year results, and does very little, if any, actual research (i.e., talking to coaches during Fall Ball). They ALWAYS rank Rice lower than any of the other polls. Having said that, I expect Rice to be preseason ranked somewhere in the 30 - 40 range, though I think we have the potential to be MUCH better than that. Our pitching, in particular, should be vastly improved from last year, especially if Salinas returns healthy and back in form. Offense should be just fine with Proctor, DiCaprio, Chandler, Dunlap and Gneiting all returning, to go along with several very talented newcomers (Aviles, Cruz, Comeaux). It will be nice to be flying under the radar for a change, especially with such a young team.

I know USM returns several standouts led by Wallner and Sedlin (?), but didn't you lose your entire weekend rotation, as well as half your lineup?

Burdeaux and Braley are the two big offensive contributors we lost. Everyone else in our usual lineup returns. You also have new guys like Luke Reynolds (Mississippi State transfer) and Fred Franklin (JUCO transfer) that are talented players. We won’t hit as many HRs, but we’ll score plenty of runs and this will likely be the best offense in the league again.

Pitching is a concern. The losses of McCarty, Braley, and Roberts are huge. I think we definitely made an upgrade with our new pitching coach, and we’ll see if that makes a difference in 2018. We may be OK if some of our young guys develop like they are supposed to. Also, if we can get Wallner on the mound as a starter (which is what the staff wants to do), that could be huge. He didn’t pitch this fall as they’re trying to get his hip healthy for the spring.

Tough not to think about what this team would be like if McCarty, Braley, and Roberts stayed. Maybe I’m crazy, but I think USM is a 27-3/28-2 team in CUSA with those guys back. A McCarty/Wallner/Braley rotation with our offense would have been unstoppable.
12-23-2017 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
CUSA offseason baseball thread - BeagleUSM - 08-12-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - XYZ - 08-13-2017, 09:35 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - blazr - 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - BeagleUSM - 12-23-2017 01:02 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 02-01-2018, 05:06 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 02-02-2018, 01:00 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 02-06-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 01-24-2018, 11:27 AM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread - usm99 - 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.